PDA

View Full Version : Is the NeoAir Xtherm pad too warm for the summer months???

MrMiner2
02-03-2014, 13:18
I am curious if the pad is too warm during the summer. Any experience is appreciated!

chall
02-03-2014, 13:33
I wondered this, too.

But I ended up getting a NeoAir Xlite. I just used it this past weekend with the low's for both nights hovering around 20*F. I supplemented the pad with an old 3/4 Ridgerest, and I was fine.

Not exactly answering your question, but this is an alternative.

Kc Fiedler
02-03-2014, 13:47
I've used the Xlite on the AT during the summer months and in the Wind River Mountains in fall among other places. I found it to be perfectly comfortable and overly warm most nights on the AT when I was using it with a 45 degree synergic bag. It was perfectly comfortable with a 30 degree down bag in the Winds at down to the mid 30's. Also doesn't answer your question directly, but the Xtherm is I believe has an R value around 5 and the Xlite is around 1.6. Double check that though because I'm just citing from memory.

Mobius
02-03-2014, 13:50
I am curious if the pad is too warm during the summer. Any experience is appreciated!

I've been wondering that too. A rider question: does it feel cooler if you use the pad the "wrong way" (upside down).

chall
02-03-2014, 13:58
Also doesn't answer your question directly, but the Xtherm is I believe has an R value around 5 and the Xlite is around 1.6. Double check that though because I'm just citing from memory.

The Xlite's R-Value is 3.2.

There's a picture in this review of the Xlite (http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-XLite) of a tester using this in -10*F weather.

HooKooDooKu
02-03-2014, 14:04
I don't see how the pad could be "too warm" as you could always just lay on top of it with nothing to cover you. The only way it adds any warmth is that it attempts to reflect body heat back toward you, but otherwise it is just an insulator.

As for upside-down, I don't think there is an upside-down. From what I could tell looking at my old NeoAir XLite (the ones that were a little bit more translucent than the previous season) the inside baffles have a reflective coating on both sides. It's that reflective coating that reflects some of your body heat back towards you to try to help keep you a little bit warmer. Otherwise, the over-all insulating abilities are the same either way.

Kc Fiedler
02-03-2014, 14:20
The Xtherm I believe reflects just like the Xlite for thermal radiation and has baffles to reduce convection but also adds a fill of some sort (haven't researched it in a while) to further reduce convective currents that would otherwise form inside the baffles and to minimize conductive heat loss.

jdc5294
02-03-2014, 14:39
It's fine for summer, fun tip I felt it was cooler when I turned it over so it wasn't reflecting the heat back at me.

Nooga
02-03-2014, 14:53
From just my observation, the Xlite looks the same on both side. However, there is definitely an up and down side on the Xtherm. I have not had the opportunity to use the Xtherm, so I'm not sure if using it turned over would it would be cooler. I think the R values are 3.2 for the Xlite and 5.7 for the Xtherm.

kayak karl
02-03-2014, 15:17
I don't see how the pad could be "too warm" as you could always just lay on top of it with nothing to cover you. The only way it adds any warmth is that it attempts to reflect body heat back toward you, but otherwise it is just an insulator.

As for upside-down, I don't think there is an upside-down. From what I could tell looking at my old NeoAir XLite (the ones that were a little bit more translucent than the previous season) the inside baffles have a reflective coating on both sides. It's that reflective coating that reflects some of your body heat back towards you to try to help keep you a little bit warmer. Otherwise, the over-all insulating abilities are the same either way.
exactly right :) it may be over kill in R and weight, but it will not add heat.

Shonryu
02-04-2014, 02:00
I'm 6'2, a side sleeper, and sleep cold. Personally I opted for the xlite women's version. I think it's 66 inches and has a higher rvalue at 3.9 if I remember which seems to be a sweet spot for me for 3 season backpacking. I have a frameless pack so i cut one of the 3 sections of a GG nitlite pad to drop a few ounces off of my pack weight and to give a little more padding to my ankles when I'm sleeping and insulation. I thin total weight is like 13.7oz for both pads. Not the lightest option but it works for me. I think a women's version would be a good compromise between the mens Xlite and the thermal and even save you a few bucks. For warmer months 55+ I use a GG nitlite pad and the one piece that I cut from my other one to drop it down to around 6oz and its more than enough for me.

Malto
02-04-2014, 08:54
From a physics point of view, yes the Xtherm will sleep warmer in the summer than the xlite. However, you may not notice it because as the ground temperature approaches your body temperature the insulating value (R factor) will play a smaller role. I have used my xtherm in the summer when I have hiked with my son who used my xlite. Didn't notice a problem.