PDA

View Full Version : City chick in a trail town

Sierra2015
02-04-2014, 08:44
I'm 25 and planning for a 2015 NOBO hike with as little as possible town stays (because of my dog.) However, when I do find myself hanging out in a town, what's the likelihood of getting free drinks or dinners from guys??

And if it's as often as city life, then should I take the offer at all? Since it's a contained microcosm I worry about assumptions being made.

A stupid, immeasurable, frivolous question that'll probably make me unpopular. Women hikers being awesome and independent and all.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Alligator
02-04-2014, 09:22
So are these your concerns?
1. Is there a perceived increase in food and drink offers over normal "city" food and drink offers.
2. There is a concern about accepting these due to being in a "microcosm".

Please define "microcosm". Do you mean trail town, on the trail, hiker community, or something else.

The question is a little loaded so I am attempting to better clarify what you are asking.

It would have helped if I had reopened it after posting. Sorry about that.

Sierra2015
02-04-2014, 14:54
So are these your concerns?
1. Is there a perceived increase in food and drink offers over normal "city" food and drink offers.
2. There is a concern about accepting these due to being in a "microcosm".

Please define "microcosm". Do you mean trail town, on the trail, hiker community, or something else.

The question is a little loaded so I am attempting to better clarify what you are asking.

It would have helped if I had reopened it after posting. Sorry about that.

I don't mean for it to be loaded at all.

I'm just wondering if those small bars are going to be like the ones I'm used to. (I've spent the entirety of my adult life in a city. It's easy to meet someone and then avoid them when they've become weird.)

If a drink is offered... can I take it without worrying about it? Or is that not going to happen anyway?

Or should I keep my nose clean. Lol

Hot Flash
02-04-2014, 15:01
Pull up your big girl panties and buy your own damned food and drinks.

Sierra2015
02-04-2014, 15:05
... Yes mother.

John B
02-04-2014, 15:07
*sigh* Anyway, I'd say the probability of getting free food and booze from guys increases in direct proportion to how long they've been away from female companionship.

Toon
02-04-2014, 15:21
Take free drinks from locals because when you leave there not gonna follow. Take a drink from a weird hiker dude and you might have a new trail friend. Its pretty easy to spot the ones you don't want to be around.

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk 2

Tipi Walter
02-04-2014, 15:36
Wow, do people still imbibe? Alcohol? That's so 90's.

Damn Yankee
02-04-2014, 15:42
If you have to question, you've already answered your question. Just say no thank you and buy your own.

George
02-04-2014, 15:45
yes, always assumptions ( or hopes ) are made in return for "free" drinks etc

On distance hiking trails, like the military and remote work sites, that I have been on, males outnumber females and what you describe is easy to get away with, but on a hike the money spent on you by a hopeful lovesick puppy, may come out of his completion budget - keep that in mind

of course in all these situations anyone who routinely engages in this behavior is given some unpleasant "labels" - and you will likely be with the same basic group for the duration

- but unlike the military or jobsites there is no threat of firing/ discipline forcing everyone to "play nice" - so if you choose to play the game be prepared for some backlash

Coffee
02-04-2014, 15:45
City or small town, the motive for buying a girl a drink is usually similar.

MDSection12
02-04-2014, 16:39
Can I buy your puppy an ice cream cone too?

Sara
02-04-2014, 16:43
Hi Sierra,
Personally, I would not accept drinks unless I was willing to buy the next round.

bfayer
02-04-2014, 16:47
Not getting into the original post, although it does remind me of and old Eagles song :)

I know just posting this is hypocritical, but why in the world do so many guys post in this forum? Are there not enough other places to post?

Fuzzywuzzy
02-04-2014, 16:52
Hi Sierra,
Personally, I would not accept drinks unless I was willing to buy the next round.

Sara has the best reply of all... she definitely already has her big girl panties on!

Dogwood
02-04-2014, 16:53
PLease, someone offer the link to HashBrown's article on "Creepy Dudes on the Trail."

daddytwosticks
02-04-2014, 16:57
...I love this site! :)

tiptoe
02-04-2014, 17:21
Speechless! Hike your own hike, buy your own drinks.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-04-2014, 17:22
Gloria Steinem is rolling in her grave...or she will be after keeling over from reading this.

George
02-04-2014, 17:28
Gloria Steinem is rolling in her grave...or she will be after keeling over from reading this.

any poor guy who offered to buy her a drink probably ended up with some man parts hanging from a nail on the wall of the bar

aficion
02-04-2014, 17:29
Not getting into the original post, although it does remind me of and old Eagles song :)

I know just posting this is hypocritical, but why in the world do so many guys post in this forum? Are there not enough other places to post?

Nature abhors a vacuum.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-04-2014, 17:34
any poor guy who offered to buy her a drink probably ended up with some man parts hanging from a nail on the wall of the bar

I guess that would depend on the circumstance.....not all feminists are militant. However, if it were a "Larry the Lounge Lizard" scenario I imagine you'd be right. I was actually referring to the term "chick" being resurrected. I thought it had died an ignominious death in '73...or around there. The drink-buying thing I just had to ignore.

mak1277
02-04-2014, 17:36
Don't let all these judgmental grumps get you down, OP....a bar is a bar. Trust your gut and go with your instincts, just like you would anywhere else. If you want to let a guy buy you a drink, go for it. HYOH should be interpreted as, "screw what other people think".

Teacher & Snacktime
02-04-2014, 17:40
Don't let all these judgmental grumps get you down, OP....a bar is a bar. Trust your gut and go with your instincts, just like you would anywhere else. If you want to let a guy buy you a drink, go for it. HYOH should be interpreted as, "screw what other people think".

Good point....my bad. Assuming you're willing to deal with the consequences of your choices, who are any of to naysay. I completely, totally and utterly disagree with the idea that this is even an issue, but it's not my hike. Have fun.

Drybones
02-04-2014, 19:53
Sara has the best reply of all... she definitely already has her big girl panties on!

+1...............

squeezebox
02-04-2014, 20:12
We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals. If you are not interested in going there with that guy , don't accept the drinks, food. That's pretty much the contract. The AT is about comraderie not a singles bar. Read the thread about creepy guys, just insert "creepy city chicks" where ever the term creepy guys come up. Some day you might come across a guy that will take his payment for buying you drinks and dinner if you want to put out or not.
Dangerous way to be.

bfayer
02-04-2014, 20:23
We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals. If you are not interested in going there with that guy , don't accept the drinks, food. That's pretty much the contract. The AT is about comraderie not a singles bar. Read the thread about creepy guys, just insert "creepy city chicks" where ever the term creepy guys come up. Some day you might come across a guy that will take his payment for buying you drinks and dinner if you want to put out or not.

Dangerous way to be.

Sorry I have to jump in here. Accepting a drink or meal from anyone is not now nor will ever be a "contract" for anything. That is a very ignorant way of thinking.

Praha4
02-04-2014, 20:57
Urban Dictionary defines "Yogi-ing" as the art of politely gathering food from other hikers and/or campers by means of conversation without actually asking for it. If one asks for the food and/or drink, it is no longer yogi-ing. How any hiker (male or female) applies those guidelines is based on her skills at conversation, persuasion, and basic human chemistry. The large majority of men hikers being awesome and independent and all. :)

Del Q
02-04-2014, 21:17
If you carry my pack I will buy you all the drinks you like, not weird, happily married..........

SunnyWalker
02-04-2014, 21:22
yeah, you are right, stupid question.

aficion
02-04-2014, 21:29
If you can't buy yo self a drank you aint walkin fer I'm a thinkin.

atmilkman
02-04-2014, 21:33
We all know what guys are after when they buy a "chick" drinks and meals.
Could it be he wants to try on those big girl panties?

aficion
02-04-2014, 21:36
Could it be he wants to try on those big girl panties?

Believe I could just go buy a pair cheaper than I could get a drink or a meal along the trail.

Sierra2015
02-04-2014, 22:02
PLease, someone offer the link to HashBrown's article on "Creepy Dudes on the Trail."
Yes... I just read that. Properly creeped out.

I guess that would depend on the circumstance.....not all feminists are militant. However, if it were a "Larry the Lounge Lizard" scenario I imagine you'd be right. I was actually referring to the term "chick" being resurrected. I thought it had died an ignominious death in '73...or around there. The drink-buying thing I just had to ignore.
Oh, I used the word "chick" for alliteration.

If you carry my pack I will buy you all the drinks you like, not weird, happily married..........
Hmm.... Tempting, but no thank you. :p

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I'll be a bit more moderate while on the tail than I'm used to in the comfort of my own neighborhood. From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.

aficion
02-04-2014, 22:05

Thanks everyone for your responses! I think I'll be a bit more moderate while on the tail than I'm used to in the comfort of my own neighborhood. From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.

Trust yourself "on the tail".

Hill Ape
02-04-2014, 22:10
best thread ever

HikerMom58
02-04-2014, 22:13

I'm glad you found the help you needed, Sierra2015! :) Good deal on reading Hashbrown's article. I agree with the poll, as well.

I bet you learned another thing... just b/c you post in the female forum doesn't mean the guys won't chime in. LOL They only leave us alone when we talk about tampons etc.. ha ha!! :D

Foresight
02-04-2014, 22:34
Oh dear God....

Sierra2015
02-04-2014, 22:37
Trust yourself "on the tail".

Trail* obviously.

I'm glad you found the help you needed, Sierra2015! :) Good deal on reading Hashbrown's article. I agree with the poll, as well.

I bet you learned another thing... just b/c you post in the female forum doesn't mean the guys won't chime in. LOL They only leave us alone when we talk about tampons etc.. ha ha!! :D
Yes! For sure learned something. :)

lonehiker
02-04-2014, 22:40
From polling you all I can see it's best not to trust hikers and their intentions.

Actually the responders misrepresented most thru-hikers. I would guess that you can trust the vast majority of thru-hikers. Actually when I first read your post it sounded, at least to me, that you were looking for freebies (i.e food/drink) and I was surprised that more didn't hammer you about free-loading as they did one poster recently that initially appeared to be doing the same thing. But, I obviously didn't understand your initial post.......

chiefiepoo
02-04-2014, 22:47
Some of us are a little older, have a few more bucks to spend, and are happy to share with trail friends. Don't recall ever having bought for just one lady in the trail towns but have often gathered a small group and enjoyed a family style meal. Boys and girls. Beware of the guys who want to corner you for a night on the town.

Marta
02-04-2014, 23:57
1) Many people are often kind to hikers, of all ages and genders, offering drinks, food, rides, the hospitality of their homes, and pleasant companionship.
2) Many hikers enjoy each others' companionship and show that by buying each other drinks.
3) A lot of hikers are on very tight budgets. They may not even have enough money to get themselves down the Trail. Social spending is a big factor in hikes failing for lack of money.
4) At a certain point, yogiing becomes being manipulative, conniving, and selfish. Lack of self-respect figures in, too. And lack of respect for other people, which clearly comes out in the assumption that small-town hicks don't have a clue about how city people behave.

chiefiepoo
02-05-2014, 00:21
Hi, Marta ! No way was I going to buy drinks and dinner for the 5 ladies I came out to Glacier with last year. It would have been a lot of $$. They seemed to be happy with a trip to the village for ice cream and chocolate. Hope your Winter is going well.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 00:25
Urban Dictionary defines "Yogi-ing" as the art of politely gathering food from other hikers and/or campers by means of conversation without actually asking for it. If one asks for the food and/or drink, it is no longer yogi-ing. How any hiker (male or female) applies those guidelines is based on her skills at conversation, persuasion, and basic human chemistry. The large majority of men hikers being awesome and independent and all. :)
I was thinking this too, it could be considered yogiing. Also, it's not unheard of for strangers to offer a meal to thruhikers. The yogiing can have unwanted consequences though. You may meet a guy in the bar at home, not hit it off, you go your separate ways. You never go to that bar again, the chance of encountering him again is slim. On the trail, your random movement is reduced, you might compromise your safety. There is a time and place to your location and these are constrained by thruhiking. You are on a line, moving in a set direction at a walking pace. Meeting strangers under the scenario proposed is perhaps not a safe suggestion. The more frequently one engages in a risky behavior the greater the risk becomes to have a negative outcome.

Stick to picnic baskets Yogi.

Marta
02-05-2014, 00:31
Hi, Chief! It's cold, cold, cold here tonight, and heading for a colder day tomorrow.

We're deep into preparations for next summer--hiring the staff, remodeling buildings, negotiating vendor contracts...

See you next summer!

Slo-go'en
02-05-2014, 00:58
And if it's as often as city life, then should I take the offer at all? Since it's a contained microcosm I worry about assumptions being made.

What I find remarkable is that she apparently is offered free drinks and meals often enough to think this is a common occurance everywhere. Please post a picture of how your dressed to make this happen :)

When I first saw this thread come up, I was curious as to how it would go - pretty much as expected...

Foresight
02-05-2014, 01:22
The more frequently one engages in a risky behavior the greater the risk becomes to have a negative outcome.

I'm married to a statistics teacher that would gladly tell you how wrong you are in your assumption :D

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 01:44
What I find remarkable is that she apparently is offered free drinks and meals often enough to think this is a common occurance everywhere. Please post a picture of how your dressed to make this happen :)

When I first saw this thread come up, I was curious as to how it would go - pretty much as expected...

Please talk to me, Not about me.

And I don't dress inappropriatly. And no I'm not posting a picture. :/

Kc Fiedler
02-05-2014, 01:51
Please post a picture of how your dressed to make this happen :)

Maybe she dresses perfectly conservatively and has a quick laugh and easy smile accompanied by a natural charm and sharp wit. I really hope, and assume, that this comment isn't insinuating that she dresses to manipulate. We certainly wouldn't want to be party to exacerbating social stereotypes or sexist cliches.

Toon
02-05-2014, 01:56

Im assuming most men are using tapatalk like myself and are viewing unread. I dont pay any attention to what category im reading....

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 05:15
Maybe she dresses perfectly conservatively and has a quick laugh and easy smile accompanied by a natural charm and sharp wit.
I wish. Haha.

I live near a college and I'm starting to think my experiences are influenced by institutions of higher education and the studious rascals contained within.

It's not yogi-ing either.... I go with a friend and we sit and talk or yell, (depending on the place.) Guys use drinks as ice breakers... specifically college guys apparently.

I feel stupid typing that out.

I'm just saying I don't go in and rip off my shirt for drinks.

bigcranky
02-05-2014, 07:57

I'm sorry, but this is the funniest thing I've ever read on Whiteblaze. I just can't stop laughing. You win the internet today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)

daddytwosticks
02-05-2014, 08:09
I assume Sierra2015 will be wearing polyester and wool. After a couple of days, she will probably stink like all hikers too. :)

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 08:16
I assume Sierra2015 will be wearing polyester and wool. After a couple of days, she will probably stink like all hikers too. :)
Nearly as badly as you. ^_^

tiptoe
02-05-2014, 12:10
Sierra 2015, I look forward to meeting you on the trail (disclaimer: I'm not a guy). You sound like a woman with a good sense of humor who can fend for herself. These qualities will serve you well when you hike.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2014, 12:16

Well, I'm glad that got clarified :) I never did spent much time in bars, even when I was in my 20's and living in a collage town.

I suspect your experiances in bars along the trail will be quite different then what you have become accustomed to in Nashville. Towns along the AT are still quite conservative. Heck, you couldn't even buy beer in towns along the AT in NC until recently and then only reluctantly to help the tourist trade. If you go to a bar, it will be to get a meal and drink a beer or two with your hiking buddies, then it's off to bed.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 12:26
I'm married towhat's tistics teacher that would gladly tell you how wrong you are in your assumption :D
I may not have used precise terminology but the premise of what I am saying is correct. Feel free to bring it. For arguments sake assume a constant probability that an accepted drink leads to meeting a creep. Call it 1%, so p=.01. The question is, can she do that 10 times without meeting one creep. 20? 100? The probability of a successive run of no creeps goes down as the run goes longer. It's a negative binomial distribution. It's gets harder and harder to avoid that happening. Think expected value also. Roll a die (6 sided). You'll get a 6 eventually. On average it will take 6 tries to get one six unless the die is weighted. The chance of the last roll being the first six go down as you consider a higher number of rolls to your attempt. That means the chance of getting a six somewhere sooner goes up.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Bronk
02-05-2014, 12:28
It would be very easy for a girl to sleep her way up the trail. Even an unattractive female could pull it off.

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 12:42
Well, I'm glad that got clarified :) I never did spent much time in bars, even when I was in my 20's and living in a collage town.

I suspect your experiances in bars along the trail will be quite different then what you have become accustomed to in Nashville. Towns along the AT are still quite conservative. Heck, you couldn't even buy beer in towns along the AT in NC until recently and then only reluctantly to help the tourist trade. If you go to a bar, it will be to get a meal and drink a beer or two with your hiking buddies, then it's off to bed.
Seems like you're right.

I'm moving to Nashville in April (I'm in Los Angeles right now.) I decided I was tired of the desert and tired of pulling cacti spines from my dog's paws. Trees and rivers please.

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2014, 12:46
Seems like you're right.

I'm moving to Nashville in April (I'm in Los Angeles right now.) I decided I was tired of the desert and tired of pulling cacti spines from my dog's paws. Trees and rivers please.
I knew someone once who moved west to get more sun and get away from the humidity - and pulling ticks and burrs off their dog. ;)
But change is fun . . . :)

RangerZ
02-05-2014, 12:55
I may not have used precise terminology but the premise of what I am saying is correct. Feel free to bring it. For arguments sake assume a constant probability that an accepted drink leads to meeting a creep. Call it 1%, so p=.01. The question is, can she do that 10 times without meeting one creep. 20? 100? The probability of a successive run of no creeps goes down as the run goes longer. It's a negative binomial distribution. It's gets harder and harder to avoid that happening. Think expected value also. Roll a die (6 sided). You'll get a 6 eventually. On average it will take 6 tries to get one six unless the die is weighted. The chance of the last roll being the first six go down as you consider a higher number of rolls to your attempt. That means the chance of getting a six somewhere sooner goes up.

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while.

Alligator,

I don't like EV and binomial distributions when I have to do them, I don't expect to see them here.

Slo-go'en
02-05-2014, 13:06
Seems like you're right.

I'm moving to Nashville in April (I'm in Los Angeles right now.)

Wish you had mensioned that earlier, now it makes a whole lot more sense. Be ready for some culture shock.

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2014, 13:17
Alligator,

I don't like EV and binomial distributions when I have to do them, I don't expect to see them here.

All the mathematics is rather pointless in what is more a psychology question. If a young lady accepts drinks and meals from guys, there will generally be an expectation and/or hope from most guys that she has some interest in them beyond just platonic friendship. That is human nature. Most of that group of guys will simply be disappointed if they find she is not and just move on. Some may persist and be simply annoying in a variety of ways. A few will expect a return. And of those few, perhaps one or two will almost demand such. But even then, they would then have to have or create the opportunity. There are simply too many variables in the specific situation at hand to turn it into a valid statistical analysis. But the first statement holds true: If you, as a woman, accept my offer for a drink/food, you are saying, "Yes, I have (at minimum) some interest".

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 14:27
Sierra 2015, I look forward to meeting you on the trail (disclaimer: I'm not a guy). You sound like a woman with a good sense of humor who can fend for herself. These qualities will serve you well when you hike.
Thanks! I'm super excited about it... and anxious. Incredibly anxious. Haha.

Look forward to seeing you too. :)

lonehiker
02-05-2014, 14:39
Wish you had mensioned that earlier, now it makes a whole lot more sense. Be ready for some culture shock.

She did mention she was from LA.

George
02-05-2014, 14:59
I wish. Haha.

I live near a college and I'm starting to think my experiences are influenced by institutions of higher education and the studious rascals contained within.

It's not yogi-ing either.... I go with a friend and we sit and talk or yell, (depending on the place.) Guys use drinks as ice breakers... specifically college guys apparently.

alright, this reminds me of what my daughter told me of the college bar scene:
a common introduction topic was what your major was - when she told them biomedical engineering, they would go a little blank and drift away - she said a reply of university studies or primary education would have usually been followed with a drink offer

Foresight
02-05-2014, 15:18
Roll a die (6 sided). You'll get a 6 eventually. On average it will take 6 tries to get one six unless the die is weighted. The chance of the last roll being the first six go down as you consider a higher number of rolls to your attempt. That means the chance of getting a six somewhere sooner goes up.

No, what it means is every time you roll the die you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a six. The odds never change.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 15:29
I was just explaining what is basic common sense 4EB. If you play with fire you eventually get burned. I'm not trying to put real numbers on it. It doesn't matter what the real probability is, only that there is some probability of the negative event occurring.

Your first statement does not force the second bolded statement either. She may get offered food and or drinks for no other reason than she is a hiker. The only expectation being a thank you or not even that. Could be a trail angel.

Seatbelt
02-05-2014, 15:47
She may get offered food and or drinks for no other reason than she is a hiker. The only expectation being a thank you or not even that. Could be a trail angel.

I have given food/drinks to female hikers along the way without any ulterior motive and they were accepted graciously without any further discussion and certainly no expectations.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 15:52
No, what it means is every time you roll the die you have a 1 in 6 chance of rolling a six. The odds never change.For the single roll this is true every time. The experiment is a string of rolls. The chance of say not getting a six on the first 9 rolls and then getting a six on the tenth roll is small. That means you most likely did get a six somewhere else. If you just try to do it in three, the chance that only the third is a six is higher. The chance of a six somewhere in the first 2 rolls is lower. It is easier to avoid a six until the last roll for a string of three throws then avoiding a six in the first nine throws in a string of ten throws.

hikerboy57
02-05-2014, 16:13
For the single roll this is true every time. The experiment is a string of rolls. The chance of say not getting a six on the first 9 rolls and then getting a six on the tenth roll is small. That means you most likely did get a six somewhere else. If you just try to do it in three, the chance that only the third is a six is higher. The chance of a six somewhere in the first 2 rolls is lower. It is easier to avoid a six until the last roll for a string of three throws then avoiding a six in the first nine throws in a string of ten throws.
foresight is correct.the odds never change regardless of how many times the dice are rolled.the odds dont have any memory of events.your reasoning is no different than the lotto guy who's afraid to not play the daily numbers because he's "due".

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 16:34
I have given food/drinks to female hikers along the way without any ulterior motive and they were accepted graciously without any further discussion and certainly no expectations.

It's just hard to tell what guys have ulterior motives and which ones don't. I'm a female. I can tell you that when someone, I don't really know, offers me a drink or food, I'm highly suspicious of their motivation. That's sad.

Common sense tells me that if I make a habit of accepting these offers, the odds will go up that there will be strings attached or there are ulterior motivations. It's just common sense.

Lucy Lulu
02-05-2014, 16:43
Having hiked, traveled, and visited bars a bit over the years, I would have to say that the intentions (or lack of) and assumptions, are basically the same on and off the trails. The only difference, and some mentioned it in previous posts, is that if misunderstandings do occur, the consequences may follow you up or down the trail. Just use the same common sense you use now and you should be fine. Have great hike!

mrcoffeect
02-05-2014, 16:45
foresight is correct.the odds never change regardless of how many times the dice are rolled.the odds dont have any memory of events.your reasoning is no different than the lotto guy who's afraid to not play the daily numbers because he's "due".

think of it this way : russian roullet six shooter one loaded chamber. Six players How would you rather play, spin the chamber before each turn. or spin it once and pass it around. Does one way give each person better odds of survival?

Seatbelt
02-05-2014, 16:52
It's just hard to tell what guys have ulterior motives and which ones don't. I'm a female. I can tell you that when someone, I don't really know, offers me a drink or food, I'm highly suspicious of their motivation. That's sad.

Common sense tells me that if I make a habit of accepting these offers, the odds will go up that there will be strings attached or there are ulterior motivations. It's just common sense.
I agree HikerMom, I would only offer if someone mentioned a need or asked. My offers were not just out of the blue as a "come-on". That really would be kinda suspect I guess.

hikerboy57
02-05-2014, 16:54
think of it this way : russian roullet six shooter one loaded chamber. Six players How would you rather play, spin the chamber before each turn. or spin it once and pass it around. Does one way give each person better odds of survival?
yes. using the first method, the bullet may never be fired.

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 16:57
I agree HikerMom, I would only offer if someone mentioned a need or asked. My offers were not just out of the blue as a "come-on". That really would be kinda suspect I guess.

You are a very kind person, Seatbelt, I can tell. :) No worries!

Alligator
02-05-2014, 17:00
foresight is correct.the odds never change regardless of how many times the dice are rolled.the odds dont have any memory of events.your reasoning is no different than the lotto guy who's afraid to not play the daily numbers because he's "due".No I am not using the due concept. First off, I said on average. The guy that thinks he's due is just one player with a string of Lotto plays among other players. He has the same chance to win on that day for his dollar as everybody else. But he could be the guy that keeps on losing in the set of players. If he plays forever, he would be expected to win 1 time in every thousand plays for a PICK 3 on average. If he plays a million times we would expect, on average 1000 wins. Out of all the players, some will win more, some less. It would be a really small chance to play 999,999 times and lose, and then win the millionth time. Probability says, there will be wins before that with high chance. For this hiker, she gets a creep doll if she "wins".

She has a hike set. If she decides now to limit accepting drinks her chance of something negative goes down over not making that decision. It's not the single event probability, it's over a set of repetitions.

Seatbelt
02-05-2014, 17:06
No I am not using the due concept. First off, I said on average. The guy that thinks he's due is just one player with a string of Lotto plays among other players. He has the same chance to win on that day for his dollar as everybody else. But he could be the guy that keeps on losing in the set of players. If he plays forever, he would be expected to win 1 time in every thousand plays for a PICK 3 on average. If he plays a million times we would expect, on average 1000 wins. Out of all the players, some will win more, some less. It would be a really small chance to play 999,999 times and lose, and then win the millionth time. Probability says, there will be wins before that with high chance. For this hiker, she gets a creep doll if she "wins".

She has a hike set. If she decides now to limit accepting drinks her chance of something negative goes down over not making that decision. It's not the single event probability, it's over a set of repetitions.

Not intending to hi-jack you guys' conversation, but just an added thought: most women that I know have what I call a built-in "creep-detector". This "mechanism" allows them to detect when they are dealing with a "creep". This should diminish their odds of having a less than desirable outcome from an encounter with a stranger. JMO

hikerboy57
02-05-2014, 17:46
No I am not using the due concept. First off, I said on average. The guy that thinks he's due is just one player with a string of Lotto plays among other players. He has the same chance to win on that day for his dollar as everybody else. But he could be the guy that keeps on losing in the set of players. If he plays forever, he would be expected to win 1 time in every thousand plays for a PICK 3 on average. If he plays a million times we would expect, on average 1000 wins. Out of all the players, some will win more, some less. It would be a really small chance to play 999,999 times and lose, and then win the millionth time. Probability says, there will be wins before that with high chance. For this hiker, she gets a creep doll if she "wins".

still she may roll snake eyes on the very first roll.human behaviour is less predictable than even a single roll of the dice.also, i would think her instincts,her radar, will improve with length of time on the trail, and her support network will continue to build over time(trail families "looking out for each other')imho, would make the event less likely over time.my contention is random is just that-random.

double d
02-05-2014, 18:07
I think this is a great question, I would approach this situation the same way you would in a bar/pub environment in any location-take the drink, thank them, ask them their favorite football team and then move back to your circle of friends because when I was in my mid 20's, going to grad school and living in Chicago that was how it was done!.

Del Q
02-05-2014, 22:46
Just sayin, this maroon color is pretty intense for the feminine side, could it be changed to hiker-pink?

Sierra2015
02-05-2014, 22:46
I think this is a great question, I would approach this situation the same way you would in a bar/pub environment in any location-take the drink, thank them, ask them their favorite football team and then move back to your circle of friends because when I was in my mid 20's, going to grad school and living in Chicago that was how it was done!
Yeah... this sounds about right.

Some people seem to think this will eventually get me raped. Then there's insinuations that I'm going to be sleeping my way up the trail. (Conversely I'm also taking advantage of guys and sucking their wallets dry if I accept a drink or two. No pun intended.) Oh, and I'm dressing a little too ****ty if I'm offered a drink. (Forgive me for mentioning this Slo-go'en. I know you didn't mean it like that. Everything is taken out of context.)

I do think I'm going to be a bit more careful.... I don't like the idea of running into a creepy guy I rebuffed. I'm a little scared about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one but my dog.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 23:42
still she may roll snake eyes on the very first roll.human behaviour is less predictable than even a single roll of the dice.also, i would think her instincts,her radar, will improve with length of time on the trail, and her support network will continue to build over time(trail families "looking out for each other')imho, would make the event less likely over time.my contention is random is just that-random.Chances are 35 out of 36 she won't on a fair throw of two six sided dice. Behavior has nothing to do with that. Just because something is random doesn't mean we can't pick a winning strategy. On the contary, that's what probability theory is for. I'll bet you $20 you can't roll snake eyes on a fair pair of two six sided dice. You give me one dollar if you don't. I'll play you a 100 times.

It doesn't matter if she learns, has a bodyguard or any changes in the probability of meeting a creep fom offer to offer. This is the statement being discussed.
... The more frequently one engages in a risky behavior the greater the risk becomes to have a negative outcome.

....The person places herself at "risk" x times. There's only one path to that point, whether or not probabilities changed at each offer. When you start to consider how the two compare that path is part of both scenarios. You pick ahead of time what two points you want to compare. Four and seven say. There is more risk at 7 then 4 because you if you stop at four, you incur no more risk. You can't set different scenarios for the first four offers under the stop at four and the first four under stop at seven. You would have to alter time.

The risk can be mitigated of course and it may not be significant anyway.

Alligator
02-05-2014, 23:54
Yeah... this sounds about right.

Some people seem to think this will eventually get me raped. Then there's insinuations that I'm going to be sleeping my way up the trail. (Conversely I'm also taking advantage of guys and sucking their wallets dry if I accept a drink or two. No pun intended.) Oh, and I'm dressing a little too ****ty if I'm offered a drink. (Forgive me for mentioning this Slo-go'en. I know you didn't mean it like that. Everything is taken out of context.)

I do think I'm going to be a bit more careful.... I don't like the idea of running into a creepy guy I rebuffed. I'm a little scared about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one but my dog.Don't let the math scare you. Just be careful is all you should take home from that exercise. Bad stuff occasionally happens but bad things happen in cities too. It's the ticks you've got to worry about.

CELTIC BUCK
02-06-2014, 00:19
I saw this under general questions on the right side so I'll respond and hopefully not upset the female only group, you are 25 and plan to hike with a Dog ;therefore an Adult full grown responsible for herself and her pup . So act like it. Buy your own food and drinks and more important take care of the Dog at ALL Times.

Slo-go'en
02-06-2014, 00:33
I do think I'm going to be a bit more careful.... I don't like the idea of running into a creepy guy I rebuffed. I'm a little scared about being out in the middle of nowhere with no one but my dog.

For every creepy guy, there are 99 who have your back. The reality is your treated like a sister or daugther depending on the age difference or just one of the guys. On the trail, your family.

Old Hiker
02-06-2014, 09:07
For every creepy guy, there are 99 who have your back. The reality is your treated like a sister or daugther depending on the age difference or just one of the guys. On the trail, your family.

This was my impression in 2012. I believe that the age of the individual around you is a factor. We of ......<ahem>....... a certain age, tend to look at the ladies a bit differently (more protective) than the young pups. Generally speaking, of course. Culture and upbringing play a large role.

Coffee
02-06-2014, 09:51
All jokes aside, people really do seem to be better on the trail compared to a major city. On the trail, I can say hello to anyone and it is perceived as a friendly gesture. In a city, few make eye contact let alone have conversations with people they meet while walking on the street.

I do think that everyone, not just women, should be more careful near roads and in towns and that it is risky behavior for a woman to accept drinks and food from complete strangers. There is a difference between hikers who have known each other on the trail buying each other rounds of drinks or picking up the tab for food and a woman accepting food and drinks from a total stranger in some random small town bar.

Just use common sense and have a great hike.

snail2010
02-06-2014, 11:31
I'm 25 and planning for a 2015 NOBO hike with as little as possible town stays (because of my dog.) However, when I do find myself hanging out in a town, what's the likelihood of getting free drinks or dinners from guys??

A stupid, immeasurable, frivolous question that'll probably make me unpopular. Women hikers being awesome and independent and all.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Nothing wrong with accepting a friendly offer, most hikers are nice folks. I would not advise using guys just to get free stuff though. Nobody likes to be used.

RCBear
02-06-2014, 13:01
I'm ok with being used.

wornoutboots
02-06-2014, 13:24
When fellow hikers that you've been hiking with for days or weeks get to know you & offer you a drink or a meal, gladly accept with a toast. When you walk into a sketchy trail town establishment & someone you don't know offers you either & you're not with your trail friends, I'd say respectfully decline & split. Unfortunately there have been some mysterious hikers found dead in their tents who have been rumored to co-mingle in too many local activities. Have a Great Hike & use your gut. This thread made me think of a question. Question: is the word Troll gender neutral? :)