PDA

View Full Version : silk shirt question

bobgessner57
02-04-2014, 21:53
Scored a silk men's longsleeve buttonup dress shirt at a thrift store. 3.5 ozs for 3 bucks. Now, how best to use it. What is silk like in hot, muggy weather, what about hot less humid conditions? Does it get stinky quickly or is it more like merino than polypro odor wise? I am thinking about using it as a primary shirt for a Long Trail E2E in August or September. I would probably also carry a light or medium merino base layer shirt for camp and a pertex wind shirt and a light vest. I thought it might be useful over a wide range of temps and could pair well with other layers if needed in chilly weather. The sleeves roll up nicely and the buttons offer lots of venting options. I have no experience with silk hiking clothing so any input is appreciated. I will be testing it on day hikes and short trips as well.

beachbunny
02-04-2014, 23:24
I do the same thing. $3, you cannot beat that with a trekking pole!
i wear them as base when it is cool and plain when it is warm,the beauty is they dry very fast.

lonehiker
02-04-2014, 23:37
I sleep with very light weight silk longjohn tops and bottoms. I like them but my experience is that they look grungy fast and don't clean well. Stink, I am not sure as after awhile everything stinks.

Tipi Walter
02-04-2014, 23:43
http://tipiwalter.smugmug.com/Backpacking2012/20-Days-to-Panther-Branch-and/i-65wmjnq/0/L/TRIP%20136%20404-L.jpg
A silk top is my baselayer all year long as it is comfy and feels great under a t-shirt in cool summer temps or under merino tops as my winter foundation. I live in my silk top, pretty much, unless it is hot t-shirt weather. Wintersilks and Cabelas have long sleeve silk tops in Men's Tall---excellent waist and sleeve coverage.

The perfect fabric? Naw, it's a little heavy and should not get too wet. And nobody has really settled the Silk vs Merino debate. Yes, there are silk tops in heavyweight too.

bobgessner57
02-05-2014, 09:19
Thanks guys. I think it will be a part of my kit. I had thought about using it as a camp/sleep shirt or as a day shirt. The fabric is thin like a cheap bandana or maybe a bit thicker than a silk sleeping bag liner. It is forest green so the grunge factor shouldn't be as bad as white or gray shirt. I just need to get out and experiment with it to see how it works best.

Tipi:
Why do you say it shouldn't get too wet? I would tend to walk without a rainjacket in a warm summer rain.

SunnyWalker
02-05-2014, 11:28
I've bought similar silk shirts from thrift stores. My only complaint on them is I seem to rip them very easily. No loss though at $3.00 or so dollars a shirt.

Bronk
02-05-2014, 12:48
I carried a silk shirt and wore it in town while my other clothes were in the wash.

squeezebox
02-05-2014, 13:06
Silk is thin , does it do much for sun protection? Bugs ? Yes I guess.