PDA

View Full Version : Young with a Dream and Inspiration

hendrix1212
02-05-2014, 11:15
I will be graduating high school in 2015 and am looking to start Northbound in March/April 2016. I know this is in the distant future, but what can i do to start preparing? Any advice is helpful.

I have access to many miles of trails, as I am located in central VA, but have only been overnight backpacking once. This is a huge dream of mine and I want to do it to figure out my life and decide whether I want to attend college or not, I am looking to find what I want to do in life, along with having a great time being young and making memories. Thanks in advance, hike on. :D

Rocket Jones
02-05-2014, 11:22
1. Start saving as much money as you can between now and then.

2. Read the articles on the Main Page.

3. Start going through the forums, almost anything you might ask has probably been answered many times.

4. Keep an open mind.

5. Welcome and have fun!

imscotty
02-05-2014, 11:34
Hendrix1212,

Welcome to Whiteblaze. I think the most important thing you can do now is to start hiking, get some experience. Day hikes are great, and as you start saving and putting together your equipment kit you can extend to weekends and longer hikes. You can learn a lot on Whiteblaze about what works for others, but in the end the most important thing is what works for you.

Thru attempts often fail due to the dream not matching the reality, injury, or lack of funds. You would serve yourself well by gaining experience now, staying in shape, and saving money. I think a thru-hike would be a great thing to do at this point in your life and I wish you the best.

Conure
02-05-2014, 11:42
Welcome!

Other than starting to hike (very important), you can also begin your great gear acquisition. As you start to acquire your gear, take it with you on your hikes. Even if you're just doing day hiking, take all your gear and set it up and tear it down. Acquaint yourself with it and start to refine what you need and want. Depending on your area, sometimes you can rent gear, which would be a good way to try something you're uncertain of. Don't worry to much on the product, what you purchase will most certainly be better.

After that, hike some more, take your gear with you, set it up and take it down : )

tarditi
02-05-2014, 12:11
Only additional advice I can add is go out and condition.

Go hike - go camp overnight - try to do a few overnights in a row. Evaluate your setups and look for areas to improve efficiency and shave weight wherever possible. What you may tolerate for a day hike will be dramatically different than a week or month...

Enjoy the journey.

4eyedbuzzard
02-05-2014, 12:16
Agree with all the prior advice. Beyond the obvious need to save up money for both gear and the hike, you can go cheap or free on a lot of gear at first and get an idea of what you need vs. what might be nice to have (stuff you really don't want to carry except on what I call "camping hikes"). You can learn almost everything needed skills wise on short day, overnight and weekend hikes. Honing camp and navigation skills is a really good thing. Many things sound simple: like just following a trail (learn to read map and compass); making and breaking camp in the wind, rain, and dark; bear bagging; cooking meals (learn what you like to eat and what is realistic to be able to buy at trail towns and easily prepare); making campfires; becoming comfortable with being alone in the woods (especially at night). But they aren't simple if you haven't practiced them a least a few times, and learning these skills will serve you well not just on a thru-hike but for all your future hikes. I would bet most here, especially including me, can tell some pretty amusing stories of their own first experiences, especially with new gear. Learning them "on the go" starting off on a thru-hike isn't the wisest plan unless you like being frustrated or aim to be the entertainment for other hikers watching you struggle. Have fun and good luck on your hikes.

Feral Bill
02-05-2014, 13:21
In the warmer months, "good" gear is not needed. You can carry a bit more weight and do without many things, and still have a great time. It is more important to get out and gain experience. With the experience, you can better judge what you want and need, and buy accordingly then.

For instance, a summer weight no-name sleeping bag, closed cell foam pad and a cheapo pack, along with wool socks and clothes you already have will get you started. Get a cook pot from a thrift store and your all set. You can even go without cooking and enjoy it.

After you have done a few trips get a good book or two like The Complete Walker IV and read up, it will make more sense that way.

And welcome to the backpacking community!:)

Son Driven
02-05-2014, 13:50
Considering your age, I believe the mental aspect of your hike will be your greatest challenge. The ability to handle lengthy times of mundane hardship is easier for those who have a lengthy history of over coming the challenges of life. However, I do not know you, and perhaps you have already been dealt a life of hardship at a young age. Perhaps you are naturally blessed with the ability to embrace, mundane hardship, and will beat the odds and be successful in your first attempt. Even if you do not succeed, what ever you accomplish on the AT will enrich your life.

George
02-05-2014, 14:43
The ability to handle lengthy times of mundane hardship is easier for those who have a lengthy history of over coming the challenges of life. .

ie - many who have married for a long time have grown accustom to long term suffering

to the OP: if you can get everything lined up, why not start north from home when you finish school then flip and go south the same year - that way you can start classes in the spring and be about a year ahead

hendrix1212
02-05-2014, 14:50
Considering your age, I believe the mental aspect of your hike will be your greatest challenge. The ability to handle lengthy times of mundane hardship is easier for those who have a lengthy history of over coming the challenges of life. However, I do not know you, and perhaps you have already been dealt a life of hardship at a young age. Perhaps you are naturally blessed with the ability to embrace, mundane hardship, and will beat the odds and be successful in your first attempt. Even if you do not succeed, what ever you accomplish on the AT will enrich your life.

Wow man, deep stuff and well said. Thanks, and I hope it does enrich my life. I think I'm quite open minded, but need the experience. I'll make sure to try and get out on the trail this spring for some overnight trips with my friends!

Welcome!

Other than starting to hike (very important), you can also begin your great gear acquisition. As you start to acquire your gear, take it with you on your hikes. Even if you're just doing day hiking, take all your gear and set it up and tear it down. Acquaint yourself with it and start to refine what you need and want. Depending on your area, sometimes you can rent gear, which would be a good way to try something you're uncertain of. Don't worry to much on the product, what you purchase will most certainly be better.

After that, hike some more, take your gear with you, set it up and take it down : )

Thanks man, I think I'll definitely read up on the gear section.

lonehiker
02-05-2014, 15:58
Thanks man, I think I'll definitely read up on the gear section.

Too much emphasis is put on gear on this site. Gear won't get you there, only hard work and determination will. Your gear will evolve naturally as you gain experience. Save money is probably the best thing you can do now to prepare for 2016. Additionally, over the next two summers, get out as often as you can on multiday trips.

hendrix1212
02-05-2014, 16:53
Too much emphasis is put on gear on this site. Gear won't get you there, only hard work and determination will. Your gear will evolve naturally as you gain experience. Save money is probably the best thing you can do now to prepare for 2016. Additionally, over the next two summers, get out as often as you can on multiday trips.

Would yall recommend me just getting the cheapest gear I can get my hands on? Like do you think the expensive gear is really worth it or that much different? I'd be hiking on a tight budget anyways, probably about 2-3K saved by 2016. But for now would you recommend inexpensive gear?

lonehiker
02-05-2014, 18:17
I would recommend inexpensive gear but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap quality gear. One way to do this is to keep an eye on the used gear posted on WB or other sites. There was recently a nice tent for sell at a decent price, as an example. Based upon your response though I would look specifically at saving a bit more money especially if you have no gear. 2-3k is very marginal as far as enough for a thru-hike. Can be done cheap but is a bit easier if you had 4k+ and that is after gear purchases.

Son Driven
02-06-2014, 10:31
Hendrix1212 wrote: "I'll make sure to try and get out on the trail this spring for some overnight trips with my friends!" Perhaps you should consider spending time in isolation.

In all likely-hood you will find yourself on the trail, all alone, you need to be your own best friend, and embrace the periods of solitude.

Your willingness to let go of trail friends can make the difference. By the time you get to Neil's Gap you will probably fall into a group of hikers who hike a similar pace of your own. Some in the group will be hiking the group pace, that may beyond what they are capable, and end up injured and off trail. Others will for a variety of reasons find themselves in conflict with personalities within the group, and go their own way. You may find yourself injured, or ill. requiring zero day's or shorter days, causing you to fall behind the group. Perhaps, your emotional tie to the group will tempt you to shuttle ahead (yellow blaze). Now your hike is no longer a thru-hike, but a long section hike. In your fear of being separated from the group, you may put mind over injury, and hike though your pain, creating greater damage that brings your hike to an end all together. 2185 miles is a very long trail, you will move ahead, and fall behind friends that you make. You will rediscover friends who have caught back up to you, or have fallen back to you. You may find friends who went up ahead to Katahdin, and are hiking back to where they got off (flip flop), this is what I did, and it was fun being SOBO, having one last encounter with NOBO's on there way to Katahdin. Much of what I wrote here is what it means when you hear or read the words "Hike your own Hike"

DeerPath
02-06-2014, 12:07
:welcome And remember, We've got your back!

Malto
02-06-2014, 14:18
Experience counts for much more than incrementally better gear. The more you hike, the less you will have to rely on Internet forums to provide guidance. My recommended priority, see if you like walking. That wasn't camping, walking. I would do everything you can to do as much and as long of hikes as possible Pretrip. A surprising number of people find out that the walking part is not for them even before they leave Ga. Figure that out early if that's the case and you will save yourself a lot of money on gear and preparation. Also, don't get caught up in the romantic notion of a thru hike. I suspect many that how do make up the 70-75% of folks that call it quits. For many a section hike is far more enjoyable. But you will only know that from experience. Good luck.

hendrix1212
02-06-2014, 14:48
I would recommend inexpensive gear but that doesn't necessarily mean cheap quality gear. One way to do this is to keep an eye on the used gear posted on WB or other sites. There was recently a nice tent for sell at a decent price, as an example. Based upon your response though I would look specifically at saving a bit more money especially if you have no gear. 2-3k is very marginal as far as enough for a thru-hike. Can be done cheap but is a bit easier if you had 4k+ and that is after gear purchases.

What size pack do you think would be good for a thru hike? I know it's a bit premature and technology can change alot in 2 years, but I would be looking to go minimalist and as light as possible during a thru hike. I'm looking at 50-60 L packs now, do you think that is an appropriate size?

Kc Fiedler
02-06-2014, 15:52
What size pack do you think would be good for a thru hike? I know it's a bit premature and technology can change alot in 2 years, but I would be looking to go minimalist and as light as possible during a thru hike. I'm looking at 50-60 L packs now, do you think that is an appropriate size?

If you're going minimalist and as light as possible a 40L should be more than enough but you'll have to really commit to the lightweight goal of you want to pull it off. Lightweight and more compact smaller gear is, generally speaking, more expensive as well so watch your pocket book!