PDA

View Full Version : Titanium cup/pot

opfldc
02-05-2014, 15:25
Dumb question but here goes
I have been using a pocket rocket stove and stainless steel cup/pot to cook with while section hiking
i was looking at the titanium cups/pots and just wondered if they work well with the pocketbrocket stove or would i need to pick up a different type of heating source
Thanks

Kc Fiedler
02-05-2014, 15:30
They will work just the same as what you have, no practical difference.

HooKooDooKu
02-05-2014, 16:02
I've used the MSR PocketRocket and the Snow Peak LiteMax with my titanium pots and haven't noticed any difference. (Before that, I used stainless steel with a white-gas stove).

However, I moved away from the PocketRocket because of how unstable it left the pot. I now favor the LiteMax because it packs down so much smaller than the PocketRocket, and the pot stand seems flatter and more stable than the PocketRocket. I can't fully understand the stability issue, because the LiteMax holds the pot just as high as the PocketRocket, and the pot supports are just as wide. The only difference between them is that the LiteMax "arms" fold out flat to give you a platform to sit the pot on, while the PocketRocket leaves you with three tiny points to sit the pot on.

zelph
02-05-2014, 17:05
I recommend switching to an Imusa 10cm mug. Much more efficient to use aluminum for faster heat transfer which equates to less fuel used. Always use a windscreen.;)

daddytwosticks
02-05-2014, 17:17
But always remember this... all the cool kids carry titanium pots/cups. Don't get me started about Cuben. :)

zelph
02-05-2014, 17:49
But always remember this... all the cool kids carry titanium pots/cups. Don't get me started about Cuben. :)

Tell us about your Cuben pot stuff sacks that you have for your Ti cup/pot:)

FarmerChef
02-05-2014, 18:51
I have a Tyvek stuff sack for my stainless steel pot and plastic cup. Now I feel inferior.... ;)

I always carry a bit of hardware cloth to go with my penny stove and my alcohol stove that Zelph gave me. If I need some extra support for my pot with the pocket rocket I can always use that. In practice though, I haven't had a problem with tipping my pot on the PR. I've done that 2 or 3 times in the campfire though. Doh!

HooKooDooKu
02-05-2014, 18:54
Always use a windscreen.;)
We're talking about canister stoves here. You've got to know what you're doing when using a windscreen because of the potential for the canister to explode. This is why the instruction manual for stoves such as the PocketRocket specifically warn to "NEVER USE WINDSCREEN".
(See rectangle #4 in the PocketRocket Instruction Manual (http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/msr_pocketrocket_instructions_09_EN.pdf)).

zelph
02-05-2014, 22:10
We're talking about canister stoves here. You've got to know what you're doing when using a windscreen because of the potential for the canister to explode. This is why the instruction manual for stoves such as the PocketRocket specifically warn to "NEVER USE WINDSCREEN".
(See rectangle #4 in the PocketRocket Instruction Manual (http://media.cascadedesigns.com/pdf/msr_pocketrocket_instructions_09_EN.pdf)).

Windscreens come in many different sizes and shapes. Use one that is 10" high on one side of your stove to block the wind. Use your backpack as a screen coupled with your body....use your imagination.

But, I suggest you do as the instruction manual says. Disregard what I said.;) sorry!!!

jimmyjam
02-05-2014, 22:17
I have the titan kettle which i sometimes use with a pr. the pr and a small canister will fit inside the titan kettle .

takethisbread
02-14-2014, 19:25
I traded a old pack for a titanium cookset. I traded a ula circuit for a vargo firebox grill and titanium bottle. I'm not sure about the grill, but I def plan on taking the bottle on a thru. the pack I never used anyway. titanium bottle is a dual use item

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk