PDA

View Full Version : PCT permits applied for

Zippy Morocco
02-05-2014, 18:57
The PCT long distance permit is available. You can pick up the Whitney permit during the process. http://www.pcta.org/2014/2014-pct-long-distance-permit-application-online-16976/

I applied for both and bought my plane ticket. I am ready to go.

Hope to see some of you out there.

Dogwood
02-05-2014, 19:08
There you go! I like hearing about multiple significant specific steps - the forward actions - of people moving towards their goals. That's making it real Zippy Morocco. Enjoy the hike Zip.

Zippy Morocco
02-06-2014, 01:53
Thanks Dogwood, I might be just about out of steps. I am looking to the start a date.

10-K
02-06-2014, 08:19
Sent for my permit too... Ready to go.

Didn't get the Whitney permit though I do definitely plan on hiking it. My understanding is that you can access Whitney via the PCT without the permit - hope that's correct.

Coffee
02-06-2014, 08:37
I believe that as long as you access Mt Whitney from the west and then return to the west no special Whitney permit is needed. It is only needed east of trail crest. So if camping at Guitar Lake or Crabtree Meadows and day hiking Whitney no permit should be required. After hiking from Crabtree to Whitney portal last year I plan to avoid the trail down to Whitney Portal in the future. It is crowded and seems to go on forever. A round trip back to Crabtree seems like a better way to go on a PCT hike assuming no resupply is needed at that time.

Sly
02-06-2014, 11:07
You also need a fire permit for California.

http://www.preventwildfireca.org/Campfire-Permit/

Sly
02-06-2014, 11:10

Didn't get the Whitney permit though I do definitely plan on hiking it. My understanding is that you can access Whitney via the PCT without the permit - hope that's correct.

You'll be fine

There is a $15-per-person fee to enter the Whitney Zone in Inyo National Forest. The Whitney Zone stretches from the summit eastward. If you plan to visit Whitney Portal or Lone Pine, CA from the summit of Mount Whitney, you’ll need to pay the Mt. Whitney fee. Holders of the Whitney Zone Permit should re-enter the wilderness within 48 hours of when they exit to resupply. No permits will be issued for trips originating from Whitney Portal.

HikerMom58
02-06-2014, 11:55
That's awesome Zippy. :) Are you starting this trip, solo? Please post a blog link, that we can follow, if you were planning on doing that. :)

Zippy Morocco
02-06-2014, 14:32
Hello HikerMom, I am going solo for most of this trip. Diddo will join me for some of the Northern part and will also join me for the last 30 miles. I will miss her on this one. We had such a good time on the AT. I will let you know about the journal, that is one of the pieces left to attend to.
I imagine you and your family will be back out on the AT this summer too?

fredmugs
02-06-2014, 21:55

When I hiked the JMT section I actually started at Cottonwood Pass via the Horseshoe Meadow CG. When I got to the PCT/JMT trail junction I hiked up to near the Ranger cabin and set up my tent there and had lunch. I threw everything else in the bear box, summitted Whitney, and then came back down to my tent.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 00:53
Hello HikerMom, I am going solo for most of this trip. Diddo will join me for some of the Northern part and will also join me for the last 30 miles. I will miss her on this one. We had such a good time on the AT. I will let you know about the journal, that is one of the pieces left to attend to.
I imagine you and your family will be back out on the AT this summer too?

Hey Zippy - Good to know that Diddo will be able to join you for part of trip. Have a great time! I know you will! :)

Yes, we will be back on the AT this summer! Looking forward to it!

Lady Grey
02-07-2014, 10:23
Hi Zippy! As HikerMom said, please let us know your journal site. I'd love to follow along as well. Happy trails, and all the best to you and Diddo.

Lady Grey

lonehiker
02-20-2014, 20:16
Sent my permit request in today. Opted for Yogi's Handbook and Halfmile's maps (ordered both through Yogi's site). FYI, Yogi e-mailed me that the 2014 edition Handbook is hot off the press. She simply has not updated the website yet.

Nak
02-24-2014, 18:04
Got an envelop in the mail today. A map, sticker, and a letter. The letter said thank you for the donation, and...."your permit will be sent separately". Woo-Hoo, getting there!

10-K
02-24-2014, 18:49
I exchanged email with the PCTA today - my permit has already been mailed so it should arrive any time. I added the Whitney permit just in case I decide to go into Lone Pine and was told that would take 2-3 weeks.

10-K
02-24-2014, 18:50
When are you starting Nak?

Nak
02-24-2014, 19:15
When are you starting Nak?

right now, the 2nd week in April, but no definite date yet

Sly
02-24-2014, 19:21
When I hiked the JMT section I actually started at Cottonwood Pass via the Horseshoe Meadow CG. When I got to the PCT/JMT trail junction I hiked up to near the Ranger cabin and set up my tent there and had lunch. I threw everything else in the bear box, summitted Whitney, and then came back down to my tent.

That's an option.

Many hike up to Guitar lake and camp there. We did even one better (IMO) which was to hike another mile to two small tarns above Guitar lake where we had an awesome view of the lake itself and the surrounding area. It also made for a short hike to Whitney, and we were able to get some PCT miles in that day.

Zippy Morocco
02-24-2014, 19:23
My Permit came today! I'll be flying to San Diego on April 17th.

bigboots
02-24-2014, 22:51
My Permit came today! I'll be flying to San Diego on April 17th.

See you out there, I hope to fly in Apri 4/16

Zippy Morocco
02-25-2014, 14:43
See you out there, I hope to fly in Apri 4/16

Great! See you there. Are you staying at Scout and Frodo's before heading to the trail?

10-K
02-25-2014, 14:53
My permit came today too.

bigboots
02-26-2014, 22:00
Great! See you there. Are you staying at Scout and Frodo's before heading to the trail?

That is my plan. Don't have flight finalized yet, but looking for a good deal.