PDA

View Full Version : Ice Storm

Mother Natures Son
02-05-2014, 20:03
Here in South Central PA, we had Ice and lots of it We had about 1/4" and trees and power lines are down everywhere. I had to leave work right after got there because of lack of power of phones were dead too. How is the weaher where you are at?

Slo-go'en
02-05-2014, 20:58
All I got was about 10" of snow - and it's about time! Oh and it 15F and head towards sub zero - again.

HikerMom58
02-05-2014, 21:08
We got nothing! Some rain, a lil bit of wind.. that's it. We've had NO SNOW since 2010.... that was the last time it really snowed in VA. :(

FarmerChef
02-05-2014, 21:11
We had good icing in northwest Virginia. Power out for a few hours and split trees.

Carbo
02-05-2014, 21:19
Here in central NJ we had 8" of heavy wet snow, some rain, and tonight everything will freeze up again. On the bright side, I did see a robin today!

WILLIAM HAYES
02-05-2014, 21:22
come south I played golf today

Lauriep
02-05-2014, 21:25
1/4" of ice in Harpers Ferry, lots of downed limbs and a few split tree trunks. We lost power at ATC. It's still out (which explains why there was no message on the phone if you tried to call).

ezdoesit
02-05-2014, 21:57
Nasty over here in North East Jersey lot's and lot's of snow and ice real heavy snow.-:(

Malto
02-05-2014, 22:05
Here in South Central PA, we had Ice and lots of it We had about 1/4" and trees and power lines are down everywhere. I had to leave work right after got there because of lack of power of phones were dead too. How is the weaher where you are at?

We are probably neighbors..... I had to rehang our phone and cable lines after limbs from our neighbors tree took them out. I was cool listening to the the crack of branches as we cleared out the mess.

excuses
02-05-2014, 23:23
ice on everything in NW TN. Ice from Sunday night and rain and then freezing last night. Suppose to get into the low teens tonight and low 20's for a high tomorrow night. Power out yesterday for a few hours.

excuses
02-05-2014, 23:24
that is 20's for tomorrow high and 10* tomorrow night.

Tri-Pod Bob
02-06-2014, 08:11
14" of snow at my home here in western Mass

Bags4266
02-06-2014, 08:52
come south I played golf today
Errr, I hate you

CarlZ993
02-06-2014, 10:53
It's 26 deg in Austin this morning. That's cold for us. Yesterday was warmer.

Happy44
02-06-2014, 12:09
cle ohio here, snows ever other day here, started ..... oct 27

Seatbelt
02-06-2014, 13:03
Aint seen my yard because of the snow since around Thanksgiving (or so it seems) we could hit an all-time record for total snowfall this winter here in Central Indiana. Colder than you-know-what too!

tiptoe
02-06-2014, 14:44
In SW Connecticut, 9 inches of snow topped off by sleet, but fortunately for the water pipes, we didn't lose power. Yesterday I spent lots of time digging out, and today I snowshoed dog-walking paths around the back field and the lawn to make things easier for the husky and me. Temps in single digits are expected tonight.

tnwolf51
02-06-2014, 14:47
here in north texas we have half in. of snow

SOBO_Pace
02-06-2014, 15:15
We got nothing! Some rain, a lil bit of wind.. that's it. We've had NO SNOW since 2010.... that was the last time it really snowed in VA. :(

I was pounded with snow in VA during my thru in 2012. Not sure where you are in the state.

MkBibble
02-06-2014, 16:02
On Tuesday, I told somebody, "My kids have not had a complete week of school since the Christmas break." It's true; we even spent two days in the mid 70s between the last two "snow days". When I made the statement, I assumed that THIS would be the first full week. At about 7:00 this morning it was 25 and we got a heavy (for us) sleet storm that quickly iced over our part of town. Although not an official "snow day" all absences were excused and students were encouraged to stay home if they were not already at school. So, my kids STILL have not had a full week! Of course, this is central Texas - it doesn't take much to shut down schools here!

Seatbelt
02-07-2014, 13:27
Hey, Hiker mom, a buddy of mine left the trail around Bastian VA last year on his sobo thru attempt because of waist-high snow. He holed up for a week and re-tried but it was no use, he finally left and came home. I think it was weather "fall-out" from the hurricane. How far are you from there??

ChuckT
02-07-2014, 13:33
65* and cloudy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 13:41
I was pounded with snow in VA during my thru in 2012. Not sure where you are in the state.

Hey SOBO_Pace... I'm in Central VA. :) Northern VA has received a lot of snow this year. We got nothing in Central VA. Our winters have been mild since 2010... if we do get snow it melts within a day or so.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 13:52
Hey, Hiker mom, a buddy of mine left the trail around Bastian VA last year on his sobo thru attempt because of waist-high snow. He holed up for a week and re-tried but it was no use, he finally left and came home. I think it was weather "fall-out" from the hurricane. How far are you from there??

Hey Seatbelt... I'm 136 trail miles North of Bastian VA. It can really snow in the mountains and/or South of us but we won't get a thing. McAfee Knob (20 trail miles away) got a bunch of snow, a couple of weeks ago, but at my house we had 1/2 an inch. :)

Seatbelt
02-07-2014, 14:02
Hey Seatbelt... I'm 136 trail miles North of Bastian VA. It can really snow in the mountains and/or South of us but we won't get a thing. McAfee Knob (20 trail miles away) got a bunch of snow, a couple of weeks ago, but at my house we had 1/2 an inch. :)

Lucky you!! Sounds like an excellent location!!

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 14:07
Lucky you!! Sounds like an excellent location!!

Yes, it is an excellent location! (from my buddy Spencer, whispering in my ear) LOL!!

tiptoe
02-07-2014, 17:07
Just got back from the local park with my husky. A narrow path had been tamped down on the "main drag", but on a less-traveled section the walking was difficult. Not slippery, but erratic. Sometimes my foot would stay at snowpack level (9 inches with a sleety top 2), sometimes it would sink in another few inches. it was exhausting, and I wasn't even carrying a pack. I hope the thru-hikers who start early know what they very likely will encounter.

Theosus
02-08-2014, 16:41
50s and 60s. May get a little ice this wednesday, but it should be gone thursday afternoon. Spent the last few hours cutting trees and splitting wood. Had 3 inches of snow last week, it stuck around for two days before it melted. civilization almost ground to a halt.

Malto
02-08-2014, 16:58
We just took the dogs out in Pa and the snow was perfect. Hard as Sierra cement. Assuming a hiker had micro spikes it would be easier to walk on this than the normal rocks.

Gonecampn
02-11-2014, 00:50
Sleet and freezing rain I here in north AL. I wish it would SNOW!

Sent from somewhere in the woods ......

HikerMom58
02-11-2014, 13:01
http://www.cnn.com/2014/02/11/us/winter-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Rut Roh.... here it comes! Watch out Atlanta!

WorldPeaceAndStuff
02-11-2014, 16:33
Massive storm about to hit the NC mountains from Smokies thru Roanoke, VA. 8 to 12 inches forecasted with higher amounts in places.

Venchka
02-11-2014, 17:48
Massive storm about to hit the NC mountains from Smokies thru Roanoke, VA. 8 to 12 inches forecasted with higher amounts in places.

Oh boy! The grand kids will get a few more snow days. They will be in school until July 4th at this rate.
Y'all be safe & warm!

Wayne

Venchka
02-11-2014, 17:51

Oh boy! The grand kids will get a few more snow days. They will be in school until July 4th at this rate.
Y'all be safe & warm!

Wayne

From Ray's Weather for Boone, NC. NOBOs better take heed.

NWS Winter Storm Warning (Watauga County) (http://alerts.weather.gov/cap/wwacapget.php?x=NC125142223AE4.WinterStormWarning. 1251424159B0NC.RNKWSWRNK.45756c6e00028a50472e7e473 f1cafe5)
HIDE (http://booneweather.com/#)
Winter Storm Warning issued February 11 at 2:05PM EST until February 13 at 6:00PM EST by NWS Blacksburg

...HEAVY SNOW EXPECTED WEDNESDAY INTO EARLY THURSDAY... .A LOW PRESSURE CENTER WILL MOVE NORTHEAST AND INTENSIFY ALONG THE EAST COAST WEDNESDAY INTO THURSDAY. THIS WILL PUSH MOISTURE NORTHWARD ALONG THE ATLANTIC SEABOARD. COLD AIR ALREADY IN PLACE DURING THAT TIME WILL CAUSE THIS PRECIPITATION TO FALL MAINLY AS SNOW...WITH A FEW HOURS OF SLEET POSSIBLE EAST OF DANVILLE VA. STRONG UPSLOPE FLOW INTO THE MOUNTAINS...IN ADDITION TO THE POTENTIAL FOR HEAVY SNOW BANDS TO DEVELOP ACROSS THE AREA...WILL LEAD TO THE POTENTIAL FOR 6 TO 10 INCH SNOWFALL ACCUMULATIONS ACROSS THE MOUNTAINS TO THE BLUE RIDGE...AND 10 TO 14 INCHES ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS MAY BE POSSIBLE. ...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO 6 PM EST THURSDAY... * LOCATIONS...AREAS OF NORTH CAROLINA...VIRGINIA AND SOUTHEAST WEST VIRGINIA ALONG AND SOUTH OF HIGHWAY 460. * HAZARDS...HEAVY SNOW...WITH POSSIBLY A FEW HOURS OF SLEET WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOR AREAS EAST OF DANVILLE. * TIMING...EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING THROUGH THURSDAY EVENING. * ACCUMULATIONS...SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 6 TO 10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WEST OF THE BLUE RIDGE...WITH 10 TO 14 INCHES POSSIBLE FURTHER EAST ACROSS THE PIEDMONT. LOCALLY HIGHER AMOUNTS ARE POSSIBLE. IN ADDITION...SNOW MAY CHANGE OVER TO SLEET FOR A FEW HOURS WEDNESDAY NIGHT FOR AREAS EAST OF DANVILLE. * IMPACTS...HEAVY SNOW CAN LEAD TO SLICK AND HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS AS SNOWFALL ACCUMULATES ON ROADWAYS. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO BE HEAVY AND WET...AND MAY WEIGH DOWN ON TREE LIMBS AND POWER LINES. SPORADIC POWER OUTAGES ARE POSSIBLE.

Counties Affected:
Alleghany; Ashe; Caswell; Rockingham; Stokes; Surry; Watauga; Wilkes; Yadkin

Issued by: NWS Blacksburg (Southwest Virginia)

Be safe!

Wayne

Theosus
02-11-2014, 20:40
4 inches of snow in sc midlands today. Supposed to get another inch, tomorrow, then up to an inch of freezing rain! Not looking forward to it. True sc style though, 50s this weekend.