PDA

View Full Version : Possibly a Dumb Question...

mefisher
02-05-2014, 23:38
Prepping for a section hike in April, so rain is likely. My question is how do you go about drying out your tarp if it's soaking wet when you pack up in the morning? My Kelty Noah 12x12 is far too large to just 'hang ' from my pack so I've thought possibly a breathable stuff sack but not having much luck. Am I missing something completely obvious?

G2outdoors
02-05-2014, 23:41
Google "mountain goat Tarp snake skins". You're welcome :-)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Slo-go'en
02-06-2014, 00:18
If your lucky the sun will come out for a while around noon. Stop for lunch and string the trap up to dry. You'll only have to carry it wet for half the day. The skins would be a good way to carry it, wet or dry.

Rocket Jones
02-06-2014, 07:06
Stuff it into a mesh laundry bag to carry and dry it out when you get a chance.

winger
02-06-2014, 09:16
If you have an ULA pack then place it in the front mesh pocket, other wise I just pack it into a stuff sack after shaking any excessive moisture off, and put it in my pack as it isn't going to get anything else wet inside a stuff sack.

garlic08
02-06-2014, 09:36
One of the benefits of a tarp is that it's so easy to dry later in the day if you get a few minutes of sun and wind. And even if it doesn't dry by the next night it's no problem at all setting up a wet tarp. I protect my insulation in the bottom of my pack with a plastic bag, then throw all the wet stuff on top of that, and dry it during the day if I get a chance.

Mornings along the AT often have near 100% RH and nothing's going to dry for hours in camp.

Tipi Walter
02-06-2014, 09:41
I pulled an 18 day trip in January 2012 in the Snowbird backcountry (NC) and got caught in a record 153 hour rainstorm, with brief respites. Then in January 2013 I pulled an 18 day trip into the Big Frog wilderness and surpassed my old record with an 180 hour rainstorm. Point is, my tent never did dry out and I ended up carrying a wet soggy mess for days at a time. It added weight to my pack, for sure.

Basic lesson here is---Strap the wet mess to the outside of the pack to let it drain and keep moving.

mefisher
02-06-2014, 10:21
Alright. . . good to know. Thanks for the input everyone. Think I'll find myself a mesh sack of sorts & just plan to strap it to the exterior of my pack :-D Knew I could count on the wisdom around here :-D

kayak karl
02-06-2014, 10:35
Alright. . . good to know. Thanks for the input everyone. Think I'll find myself a mesh sack of sorts & just plan to strap it to the exterior of my pack :-D Knew I could count on the wisdom around here :-D they have mesh laundry bags at dollar store or a mesh bag that 50 golf balls come in. just curious, why such a large heavy tarp? using it for two hammocks ?

mefisher
02-09-2014, 14:04
they have mesh laundry bags at dollar store or a mesh bag that 50 golf balls come in. just curious, why such a large heavy tarp? using it for two hammocks ?

We do use them for 2 from time to time but it was more about reasonable cost. We purchased them when we were just entering the world of hammock-backpacking & weren't completely sure it was for us so we went the cheaper route for tarps. One day I'll own a cheaper one, perhaps cuben, who knows. But for now we have them & they are great tarps.

Demeter
02-16-2014, 07:50
I carefully package my tarp to limit moisture on the underside which will get my sleeping stuff wet the next time I set up camp. After packing my hammock and quilts (while the tarp is still up), I pull the stakes and let the tarp hang loosely, keeping the dry inner sides together. Brush any dirt and moisture off the outside of the tarp. Won't get all of it, for sure, but better than weighing me down. I then roll my tarp from the bottom towards the ridgeline, cover with the mesh snake skins. Then detach one side and roll very tightly to the other tree. Wrap it tightly with my suspension line and it goes in the outer mesh pocket.

wornoutboots
02-16-2014, 18:12
I keep mine in it a dry compression sack. You can always dry it during the day when you take a break, but I never do, I figure I'm going to set it up the next night & if it's still raining it'll stay wet & if its not, it'll dry itself.

bigcranky
02-17-2014, 08:53
Even a large tarp will fit into a small-ish silnylon stuff sack. Put it in the stuff sack and then into an outside pocket on your pack, or clip it to the back of your pack. That way all the water doesn't leak out inside your pack :)

Pull it out at lunch and hang it to dry. Don't forget to turn the stuff sack inside out and let that dry, too.