PDA

View Full Version : Life Time Warranty Items

hendrix1212
02-06-2014, 14:45
What are some good life time warranty hiking items that can easily be replaced during a thru hike?

and What is your experience with lifetime warranty items/exchanging them?

Shutterbug
02-06-2014, 15:58
What are some good life time warranty hiking items that can easily be replaced during a thru hike?

and What is your experience with lifetime warranty items/exchanging them? REI has the best return policy there is. A few months ago, they made some minor change to eliminate some areas of abuse, but they still have a very liberal policy.

Kc Fiedler
02-06-2014, 15:59
Osprey has a lifetime guarantee on all their packs they will fix anything you do to them no matter what. As far as how easily... You'll have to ship it, wait for them to fix it, and wait for it to return. Probably two weeks. Cascade Designs has great prompt customer service and won't let you down.

Venchka
02-06-2014, 16:28
Items bought from L.L. Bean are guaranteed for your lifetime. Best to keep the receipt. Mr. Bean will replace/repair/refund anything that proves defective. Or just plain wears out as I found out with one of my daughter's book packs a long time ago. Bean carries Therm-A-Rest products, tents, sleeping bags, backpacks, outdoor clothing, boots, etc. Since REI now limits you to 1 year "no questions asked", Bean's policy is the best I know of today.
As for handling a replacement on the trail, you will have to return the item & wait for the replacement.

Wayne

Studlintsean
02-06-2014, 16:29
I have a Tarptent Contrail that has been pretty beatup over the years and I recently put the trekking pole through the roof and sent it to Henry and he is repairing with no questions asked. There could be a very small charge (no more than $20) but I find some of the best service is with the small cottage companies.

bamboo bob
02-06-2014, 16:33
When my Katahdin filter clogged (then PUR) it was replaced at any place that sold them. It happened twice. Mt Rogers outfitter in Damascus and Dicks in Harrisburg replaced filters for me for free. 2000 and 2002 respectively.

Hikes in Rain
02-06-2014, 16:39
MSR also has a great lifetime policy. When I burned up my old Whisperlite, through my own negligence in not changing o-rings as necessary, they replaced it (it was beyond repair!) at no charge other than shipping.

Dogwood
02-06-2014, 19:19
REI has the best return policy there is. A few months ago, they made some minor change to eliminate some areas of abuse, but they still have a very liberal policy.

It depends on the items. Quite a few backpacking items sold by REI are NOT going to have lifetime warranties. REI has definitely tightened up their return policies and taking, what I feel is a fair look at it, being a loyal REI Co-op Member for more than 12 yrs, it isn't just about addressing return "abuses" DESPITE REI's rhetoric.

Dogwood
02-06-2014, 19:30
I will not directly speak to Lifetime Warranties of backpacking gear but I give high marks for warrantied returns, replacements of gear, refunds, and issuing of merchandise credit from ProLite, Campmor, Campsaver, BackCountry, GoLite, Keen, Vasque, Eastern Mountain Sports, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Cascade Designs(MSR, Thermarest, Platypus), Suunto, Marmot, MontBell, and Patagonia. Other companies offer extremely high quality backpacking gear but those are the companies that I've personally had to go through the warranty/replacement process with that I can say I've been very pleased about.

aficion
02-06-2014, 19:35
I will not directly speak to Lifetime Warranties of backpacking gear but I give high marks for warrantied returns, replacements of gear, refunds, and issuing of merchandise credit from ProLite, Campmor, Campsaver, BackCountry, GoLite, Keen, Vasque, Eastern Mountain Sports, Mountain Laurel Designs, ULA, Cascade Designs(MSR, Thermarest, Platypus), Suunto, Marmot, MontBell, and Patagonia. Other companies offer extremely high quality backpacking gear but those are the companies that I've personally had to go through the warranty/replacement process with that I can say I've been very pleased about.

Also North Face. Repaired the zipper pull on my 36 year old down parka when it busted in the dryer last year.

aficion
02-06-2014, 19:36
Also North Face. Repaired the zipper pull on my 36 year old down parka when it busted in the dryer last year.

oh yeah....no cost but shipping and waiting.

atmilkman
02-06-2014, 19:37
I snapped the lower 1/3 section of a Leki pole, looked up the info on the website and it said to send an email for a RA number that both poles would have to be sent back, etc, etc, blah, blah, blah. You know how they gotta word things. Anyway, sent the email, explained what happened and less than an hour later I get an email in return stating that a new lower section is on it's way.

atmilkman
02-06-2014, 19:42
I can also add Jetboil and Crocs. A few others that I've forgotten about. I too have been very impressed with the companies I have dealt with.
Maybe it would be easier to post about the ones you didn't have such good service with. But for me I can't think of any.

Dogwood
02-06-2014, 19:46
Good to hear the good experiences with returns at TNF. Never had the need to warranty something from them as I don't use TNF very much.

Even though I don't roll with Leki trekking poles(I currently use Black Diamond Ultra Distance foldable Z Poles) so never have had to personally have them warranty something I can attest that they do stand behind their trekking poles. I've seen them at both Trail Days on the AT and the KickOff on the PCT providing reliable service(on the spot repairs included) and in some cases warrantying with new poles free of charge.

da fungo
02-06-2014, 20:23
I second both comments about Leki. I had the sale part breal as atmilkman, and got the same great, no hassle service: a free replacement part, no shipping charge, no return of the broken paer required.Not really backpacking gear, but Staeu insulated bottles likewise have an excellent warranty.

T.S.Kobzol
02-06-2014, 21:39
words of advice Arcteryx. Great quality but not a great warranty. For the price they are charging the warranty should be better.

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 21:48
I'll add Kelty and Grand Trunks to the list. They both helped me out, despite having no obligation whatsoever to do so. :)

upstream
02-06-2014, 22:57
Mountainsmith repaired a disintegrated foam back pad on a 25 year old heavy hauling pack. Princeton Tec replaced a 6 year old headlamp that spontaneously started flashing and wouldn't stop.

No help from Sierra Designs on a 25 year old clip who's fly turned to gum, but I don't blame them, and I got my money's worth. I would've paid for a replacement fly but they couldn't get them.

tarditi
02-07-2014, 11:29
ESEE knives, if you need sharp cutty things. Best warranty. Ever.

ESEEŽ NO QUESTIONS ASKED WARRANTY:

If you break it, we will replace it. Warranty is lifetime and transferable. In other words, we warranty the knife no matter how many times it's been traded, sold or given away - no sales receipt or proof of purchase required.
http://www.eseeknives.com/warranty.htm

Feral Bill
02-07-2014, 11:53
There is an ethical concern regarding return of items that have simply worn out after long use. It's different than premature failure, poor fit, bad design, or even just not liking an item. Let you conscience be your guide.

MDSection12
02-07-2014, 12:07
There is an ethical concern regarding return of items that have simply worn out after long use. It's different than premature failure, poor fit, bad design, or even just not liking an item. Let you conscience be your guide.
I know what you're saying, but I'd like to be clear here; Kelty repaired a pack I had purchased second hand, and Grand Trunks sent me a free hammock when I tore my current one, due to my own negligence. In both cases I was merely emailing for guidance, or perhaps a repair at my cost. I made it very clear in both cases that I was not making a warranty claim.

My conscience is clear. I was honest, and they treated me well. I'm very grateful, hence my posting in this thread.

Odd Man Out
02-07-2014, 13:32
Darn Tough socks come with a lifetime guarantee. I recently wore a hole in the bottom of one. I filled out the return from and mailed it in with the socks and got my replacement pair a few weeks later.

As for the ethics of this, I don't see it as unethical. The company was very up front about their guarantee:

"If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time. Just package the socks up, fill out the form (http://darntough.com/media/wysiwyg/DarnTough_WarrantyForm.pdf), and send to the appropriate address—we will send you a brand new pair!"

Also I was not deceptive about the wear. I didn't "wear them out" by poking a hole in them, for example. I really did wear them out.

But I keep buying more Darn Tough socks (now up to 4 pairs). I don't buy or wear any other kind. Also, I often recommend them to my friends (and many also now wear them). In the future, I may very well decide to buy a new pair rather than asking for a replacement, just because I want to support the company. I assume this is the business model they chose. Seems to be working for them. BTW, they are not cheap socks. I assume some of their cost in honoring their guarantee is covered by the price I paid up front.

Feral Bill
02-07-2014, 14:10
I know what you're saying, but I'd like to be clear here; Kelty repaired a pack I had purchased second hand, and Grand Trunks sent me a free hammock when I tore my current one, due to my own negligence. In both cases I was merely emailing for guidance, or perhaps a repair at my cost. I made it very clear in both cases that I was not making a warranty claim.

My conscience is clear. I was honest, and they treated me well. I'm very grateful, hence my posting in this thread. No objections here. Businesses that do such things for good will get my support.

Feral Bill
02-07-2014, 14:11
Darn Tough socks come with a lifetime guarantee. I recently wore a hole in the bottom of one. I filled out the return from and mailed it in with the socks and got my replacement pair a few weeks later.

As for the ethics of this, I don't see it as unethical. The company was very up front about their guarantee:

"If you were able to wear out a pair of Darn Tough socks, we’ll replace them. At any time. Just package the socks up, fill out the form (http://darntough.com/media/wysiwyg/DarnTough_WarrantyForm.pdf), and send to the appropriate address—we will send you a brand new pair!"

Also I was not deceptive about the wear. I didn't "wear them out" by poking a hole in them, for example. I really did wear them out.

But I keep buying more Darn Tough socks (now up to 4 pairs). I don't buy or wear any other kind. Also, I often recommend them to my friends (and many also now wear them). In the future, I may very well decide to buy a new pair rather than asking for a replacement, just because I want to support the company. I assume this is the business model they chose. Seems to be working for them. BTW, they are not cheap socks. I assume some of their cost in honoring their guarantee is covered by the price I paid up front. Again, the companies choice and policy. Not a problem.

slowfeet
02-07-2014, 15:29
Leki- sent pole sections,no returning/waiting
Thermarest-they will do a retailer exchange if item is found defective and store is willing-or ship and wait.
ULA-offered loaner pack to use while pack was being repaired. sent buckles and hipbelt no questions.(hipbelt was known by ULA to have "defective" zipper.
Zpack-expedited services if thru hiking
Big Agnes- have heard good stories about their CS on trail
REI- they did express mail($) me hiking poles on their dime....I had to pay return shipping on my old ones(fair IMO).-was very satisfied with service. They did charge my card until old poles were returned-not a problem. Replaced a defective steripen, same story as above minus express shipping.
Darn Tough-long lasting socks and good warranty.

zelph
02-07-2014, 15:57
Zelphs Stoves

Lifetime replacement guarantee.