PDA

View Full Version : Great deal on a down jacket

Drybones
02-06-2014, 16:37
Just got back from Walmart, bought a down jacket on sale for $21.00, looks about the same as the Marmot Zeus I was wearing at the time but lighter weight, Marmot weighs 16 oz, the Walmart jacket weighs 12 oz. The Marmot cost $200, the Walmart $21....not a bad deal.

lonehiker
02-06-2014, 16:41
This made me think of the youtube vid I watched recently about the guy that bought $600 of Patagonia clothing....

daddytwosticks
02-06-2014, 16:57
I'm pretty sure this jacket has been talked about in a recent thread. Great find. My local Walmart had these jackets a few weeks ago, but not my size :(. Guess they are going on sale now that spring stuff is about to be stocked up. :)

Drybones
02-06-2014, 16:58
I wont feel nearly nas bad the next time I'm sitting around the campfire and an ember burns a hole in my jacket. I started to buy two but decided otherwise.

mudsocks
02-06-2014, 16:58
Details! Was this on the rack or in a bargin bin? Any way of identifying it (brand/model)?

Drybones
02-06-2014, 17:18
Details! Was this on the rack or in a bargin bin? Any way of identifying it (brand/model)?

Just hanging on a rack. Original price was $42, which I would have gladly paid.

Drybones
02-06-2014, 17:29

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 18:15
Just snagged one, thanks. Want to explain to my wife why I couldn't resist?

mudsocks
02-06-2014, 19:47
Thanks DryBones.

Dogwood
02-06-2014, 20:06
I have to have more details than that to make a fair comparison. I'm not naive to think Wally World's down jacket listed here(Royal Falcon brand) is the same as the Marmot Zeus nor fairly compares. The decreased price difference between the two comes at costs were not aware of, NOT that a $21 down jacket shouldn't be defined as a great deal for ya DryBones. I can go look at Marmot Zeus Jacket reviews quite readily. What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically.

Drybones
02-06-2014, 20:55
I have to have more details than that to make a fair comparison. I'm not naive to think Wally World's down jacket listed here(Royal Falcon brand) is the same as the Marmot Zeus nor fairly compares. The decreased price difference between the two comes at costs were not aware of, NOT that a $21 down jacket shouldn't be defined as a great deal for ya DryBones. I can go look at Marmot Zeus Jacket reviews quite readily. What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically.

This was just a heads up for anyone interested, I'm not trying to sell them and dont give a squat if you're interested or not, I'm certainly not interested in providing you with in depth professional outdoor reviews.

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 21:20
I got a JCPenny puffer jacket last year for $12 and it's been bombproof for the past year. It's warm (can be below freezing with just it and a t-shirt), light (around the same ten ounces), and hasn't fallen apart yet... What more do you need to know? It has saved my ass, as well as that of companions on my hikes, just about every time I've taken it out.

This Wally World one seems a bit warmer, and better made. At $20 it doesn't matter to me how close it is to a $200 jacket... The reality is I won't (can't) spend $200 on a jacket, but I will spend $20 on one.

Thanks DB!

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 21:56
Ok, just compared the two (JCP vs. WM) and the WM is definitely a bit better. It's got better material on the edges, has a tighter baffle pattern, and just generally seems more solid. It's hard to tell, but it does seem warmer. They both weigh 12 oz on my scale.

bfayer
02-06-2014, 22:03
I don't have one from Walmart but I did get a cheap one from Costco. Great jacket for the price but (and there is always a but), there is no DWR to speak of, it sucks up water in the lightest rain. This really limits its usefulness for hiking for me.

Does the Walmart jacket have any water resistance at all?

MDSection12
02-06-2014, 22:06
I don't have one from Walmart but I did get a cheap one from Costco. Great jacket for the price but (and there is always a but), there is no DWR to speak of, it sucks up water in the lightest rain. This really limits its usefulness for hiking for me.

Does the Walmart jacket have any water resistance at all?
It says 'protects against light precipitation' but I doubt even that. For me the down jacket is in with my sleeping bag to stay dry for camp use only.

bfayer
02-06-2014, 22:29
It says 'protects against light precipitation' but I doubt even that. For me the down jacket is in with my sleeping bag to stay dry for camp use only.

I hear you on the camp use. I go hiking with Scouts about every month, and we spend a lot more time in camp that if I am hiking alone or with my kids. So camp use stuff gets a lot more use.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 00:45
Just snagged one, thanks. Want to explain to my wife why I couldn't resist?

Atta boy! :D

MDSection12
02-07-2014, 12:03
Atta boy! :D
That wasn't my wife's reaction. It looked a little closer to this: :rolleyes:

(She'll be happy the first time I happen to pack it on a day hike and she gets cold when we stop for lunch though. :) )

chall
02-07-2014, 12:48
I have this jacket as well. Great for the price. The elastic band at the bottom drives me nuts, but that's my only complaint.

Skip2myLucas
02-07-2014, 20:58
Score! Found this little gem after scouring three WMs today (was pretty awful). Seems like a legit jacket that has value for $21. However, I'm a hiking rookie and not versed well in the language of DOWN. But I do have thick northern blood and my internal furnace runs hot, this should serve its purpose.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2014, 19:01
Can anyone compare this to the Patagonia Nanopuff as far as warmth, water repellency, windproofness? Wondering if I should pick one up . . .

HikerMom58
02-08-2014, 19:04

Ha Ha!! :P

(She'll be happy the first time I happen to pack it on a day hike and she gets cold when we stop for lunch though. :) )

Perfect.... good thinking!

daddytwosticks
02-08-2014, 19:32
Damn! Checked a neighboring Walmart in Blairsville Ga. for this elusive down jacket. Sold out. :(

02-08-2014, 19:37
I went up to wally world and to check these out and here is what I saw. If you look at the pictures you may see the same thing. The ribs on the wal mat one were fake, there were no ribbed chambers, if you look on the inside you notice it is one solid sheet of material. Also on the ones I looked at they were not down or feathers, but pure poly fill. I do know different walmarts sell different stuff, these that I looked at were called faded glory. So the name is different than the picture. They were still nice jackets, I went to Kolhs and found the same thing done the same way only they were $50 marked down to $10. Still A nice jacket. I just would not compare to a na no puff. Not the same league.

DugK
02-08-2014, 19:40
Can anyone compare this to the Patagonia Nanopuff as far as warmth, water repellency, windproofness? Wondering if I should pick one up . . .

Not even close to the Nano.... Comparing oranges and tangerines. The nano has more fill. I just bought it so I can't give you more. For $21 can't beat it.
I bought the Walmart one yesterday, now I don't have to worry around the fire anymore. Thanks for the idea

Dogwood
02-08-2014, 20:55
This was just a heads up for anyone interested, I'm not trying to sell them and dont give a squat if you're interested or not, I'm certainly not interested in providing you with in depth professional outdoor reviews.

Chill out. No one was beating you up for your find. I'm happy for ya. However, don't go playing your Wally World deal off as the same as the Marmot Zeus which is exactly what you did. Seems like you don't like being called on this unfair comparison because that's exactly what it is because we do not have the details of your jacket. You've done this before when I asked for details on Wally World gear finds. Is it too much for wanting to know gear details to make fair comparisons if that's even possible? *Don't open up a thread where YOU start a comparison and not expect people to want the details to make a fair comparison.

johnnybgood
02-08-2014, 21:48
Having purchased the Royal Falcon down jacket this afternoon , I do say it's a great bargain. Not wanting to compare it to the Marmot Zeuss , but for what it is ; ie light weight, highly compressable and 90% duck down, it makes for an inexpensive camp jacket.

Drybones
02-08-2014, 22:45
Chill out. No one was beating you up for your find. I'm happy for ya. However, don't go playing your Wally World deal off as the same as the Marmot Zeus which is exactly what you did. Seems like you don't like being called on this unfair comparison because that's exactly what it is because we do not have the details of your jacket. You've done this before when I asked for details on Wally World gear finds. Is it too much for wanting to know gear details to make fair comparisons if that's even possible? *Don't open up a thread where YOU start a comparison and not expect people to want the details to make a fair comparison.

I'm not your mother, do your own research.

daddytwosticks
02-09-2014, 08:06
Walmart gear is great, if you know its limitations and accept them. Some will say durability is an issue. I've been using a long sleeve pullover Starter brand shirt for probably 8+ years now. It's got several ember-burn holes and is pilled in many places. But who cares? I probably spent 8 bucks on this item almost a decade ago! :)

gollwoods
02-09-2014, 08:23
is this the jacket

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choice-of-His-or-Hers-Realtree-Xtra-Ultra-Light-Packable-Down-Jacket/32177348

lonehiker
02-09-2014, 10:42

I wouldn't compare Walmart clothing to Marmot or Patagonia. But, I would argue that a person could clothe themselves with Walmart clothing and do just fine (with the exception of shoes?). You probably give up a little in weight savings but for the money you save it might be worth it. Additionally, you could use the savings to purchase better gear.

MDSection12
02-09-2014, 12:45
is this the jacket

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choice-of-His-or-Hers-Realtree-Xtra-Ultra-Light-Packable-Down-Jacket/32177348
No. I couldn't find it online.

I've been wearing this jacket around town the past couple days... It's pretty warm. With just a mid-weight pullover fleece I was fine at 28 F the other night.

Dogwood
02-09-2014, 15:56
That's what I did DryBones but I could find precious little tech details on that Royal Falcon jacket either from WalMart or from the company that owns the label or is said to manufacture it. Why the hostilty? These comments were not personally directed to you. I hope you know that. "What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically."

Skip2myLucas
02-09-2014, 16:32
Funny thing happened last night. Was at a friend's apartment and his roommate had the Hawke and Co. version of the jacket hanging up! Hahaha, a day after I bought the Wally version. He wasn't there so couldn't ask where he got it or how much.

I actually go to several Walmarts for work, sales rep for a food company. I could possibly see if I can find any more jackets, then could mail to someone looking to get one...

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 17:08
Funny thing happened last night. Was at a friend's apartment and his roommate had the Hawke and Co. version of the jacket hanging up! Hahaha, a day after I bought the Wally version. He wasn't there so couldn't ask where he got it or how much.

I actually go to several Walmarts for work, sales rep for a food company. I could possibly see if I can find any more jackets, then could mail to someone looking to get one...

Wow, that's really a nice offer, Skip2myLucas! Someone may take you up on that! :cool: Cool!

Drybones
02-09-2014, 17:57
is this the jacket

No...I had a photo of the jacket on the post but I guess someone saw fit to delete it.

Drybones
02-09-2014, 18:09
That's what I did DryBones but I could find precious little tech details on that Royal Falcon jacket either from WalMart or from the company that owns the label or is said to manufacture it. Why the hostilty? These comments were not personally directed to you. I hope you know that. "What I can't do is easily get ANY comprehensive reviews for this Royal Falcon jacket. Personally, I would like to see some in depth professional outdoor reviews of this Wally World jacket. Until that time I'm approaching very skeptically."

Dogwood...stop and think...this is a $21.00 Walmart jacket, you should know that it's made in China and is a knock off of some branded product, doubt you'll ever see a review in Backpacker Magazine. I had no intention of saying it was comparable to a Marmot jacket, I said it looked like the one I was wearing when I went in the store. The post was made so others who may need a cheap down jacket at a price they can afford could evaluate for themselves.

bobp
02-09-2014, 18:22

Well, since DryBones' story indicated that he already has the Marmot (or else he is living the Allmans' Midnight Rider in that he doesn't own the clothes he is wearing), and it sounds as if he was at least tempted by the $21 knock-off, it seems to me that with the least little bit of encouragement, you would have been able to persuade him to conduct the comparison test for all of us, and we would all benefit from the knowledge.

I am not sure that the approach you chose to take will yield anything resembling helpful or informative results.

wornoutboots
02-09-2014, 21:13
I normally avoid Walmart, but I went ahead & picked up one of these for me & my wife. I own a Zues & it's not as warm as my Zues, but it's a perfect backup. Thx again for the heads up!

Matthew82
02-09-2014, 22:50
"However, don't go playing your Wally World deal off as the same as the Marmot Zeus which is exactly what you did."

Fight!

Thanks Dry, I actually happened to be at a Wal-Mart today and picked one up. My old down (Really an inner city hood rat down.) is a bit heavy and I rarely wear it for more than runs around town(and general hood rat stuff) so I'm quite content. Although the quality might not match up to some of the brands that certain people seem to hold in such high esteem, the initial impressions I have is it will work rather nicely. Gracias

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2014, 23:31
check out the light weight down jackets at unglio I bought one for around 50 bucks sometime ago nice jacket for foe the price

WILLIAM HAYES
02-09-2014, 23:38
whoops thats uniglo check oout there site

canoe
02-09-2014, 23:40
I am usually a named brand snob. Because I believe the name brand can be trusted. I want gear that I can trust. But last year when JCP put their down jacket on sale for 12 bucks I just could nt pass up buying. I originally intended to make quilts out of them but started wearing one. I bought 3. That jacket has become my favorite. Glad someone gave me the heads up. Thanks OP for the heads up.

SevenPines
02-10-2014, 01:12
you people have to realize that you'll never make it to Maine unless you have the most expensive gear. dropping $2,000 at REI or another outfitter will also make you hike faster. Also, when you arrive at camp and have the best gear you will be given a higher amount of respect.

one time i walked into our local outfitter with an old sweatshirt, and wasnt given a second glance after the salesperson looked me up and down. NO JOKE i went back outside, made a phone call, put on a mountain hardwear jacket and walked back in. I was immediately greeted with enthusiasm by the same "helpful" employee. just to prove a point, I asked the man if he realized that I was just in the store, and let him know about the little science experiment I had just performed. he fumbled for words to explain himself and basically told me that they are trained to identify customers with brand name gear.

if i were to purchase this walmart down jacket, would i still make it to Maine and be respected at camp?

Kc Fiedler
02-10-2014, 01:52
you people have to realize that you'll never make it to Maine unless you have the most expensive gear. dropping $2,000 at REI or another outfitter will also make you hike faster. Also, when you arrive at camp and have the best gear you will be given a higher amount of respect.

one time i walked into our local outfitter with an old sweatshirt, and wasnt given a second glance after the salesperson looked me up and down. NO JOKE i went back outside, made a phone call, put on a mountain hardwear jacket and walked back in. I was immediately greeted with enthusiasm by the same "helpful" employee. just to prove a point, I asked the man if he realized that I was just in the store, and let him know about the little science experiment I had just performed. he fumbled for words to explain himself and basically told me that they are trained to identify customers with brand name gear.

if i were to purchase this walmart down jacket, would i still make it to Maine and be respected at camp?
Definitely not.

daddytwosticks
02-10-2014, 08:21

No, you won't. Sorry. However, if you pull out a titanium pot/mug while in camp, everyone will know you are so cool! :)

bfayer
02-10-2014, 08:55

It's not about all about snobbery, it's about knowing what works in the long run and what doesn't. Things like DWR coatings, calenderd fabric, quality of zippers, etc., do make a significant difference in the performance of the gear. It also effects price. I own cheap no-brand gear I use for some things, and I own expensive name brand gear I use for other things.

For example, when it's 40F if I am wearing a light weight down jacket, and it starts pouring rain right out of nowhere, my Montbell jacket will not wet out before I have a chance to put on a rain shell, my cheap Costco jacket will absorb the water like a sponge and be useless for the rest of the hike or until I can find a clothes drier. Which would you rather take on a long hike?

As for your shopping example, t it happens like that for me too. The people that work in shops are sales people, their job is not to help us pick out gear, it's to help the store make money by selling stuff. If I was working retail, I would focus on the folks wearing expensive gear too. My wife always takes her Coach purse when she goes shopping at the mall, but she is smarter than I am :)

marti038
02-11-2014, 10:36
Can you cut the elastic? Just curious. I think I may have to run out and buy one today.

marti038
02-11-2014, 10:53
Thanks DryBones for posting this. Not sure why some jerks want to give you heat for letting us know there's a deal to be had.

I was in a popular outfitter in Birmingham over the weekend thinking about dropping $140 on a down jacket because it was 30% off. It's a good price for that jacket, but for $21 this is a no brainer for me.

Again, thanks for taking the time to let us know. I'm pretty sure most folks appreciate it.

canoe
02-11-2014, 11:01
It's not about all about snobbery, it's about knowing what works in the long run and what doesn't. Things like DWR coatings, calenderd fabric, quality of zippers, etc., do make a significant difference in the performance of the gear. It also effects price. I own cheap no-brand gear I use for some things, and I own expensive name brand gear I use for other things.

For example, when it's 40F if I am wearing a light weight down jacket, and it starts pouring rain right out of nowhere, my Montbell jacket will not wet out before I have a chance to put on a rain shell, my cheap Costco jacket will absorb the water like a sponge and be useless for the rest of the hike or until I can find a clothes drier. Which would you rather take on a long hike?

As for your shopping example, t it happens like that for me too. The people that work in shops are sales people, their job is not to help us pick out gear, it's to help the store make money by selling stuff. If I was working retail, I would focus on the folks wearing expensive gear too. My wife always takes her Coach purse when she goes shopping at the mall, but she is smarter than I am :) Did you even read the second sentence of my post. I said what you just in about 200less words

bfayer
02-11-2014, 12:26
Did you even read the second sentence of my post. I said what you just in about 200less words

I was responding to sevenpines who posted after you. Did you read his post?

If you agree with me why give me a hard time about it?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

DugK
02-11-2014, 12:47
After having bought this jacket last week all I have to say is...

Best $21 I have spent in years!!!!
Thanks again for the heads up.

saltysack
02-11-2014, 13:17
Think I'm going to buy to make my pup a warm sleeping bag of his own...it's lil tight in my marmot helium bag w him when it's cold as heck out ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Night Train
02-11-2014, 13:20
2 minutes slashing......2 minutes unsportsman-like conduct...... in the box you go.

martinb
02-11-2014, 13:23
All out at my local WM *sigh*. Will I use more $ in gas than savings from jacket to find said jacket? :)

saltysack
02-11-2014, 13:24
Any luck w link...Its not showing up online....

Rolls Kanardly
02-11-2014, 13:26
I was wandering around in a JCP store last year end of March, came across a close out on down jackets. $17 and they were pretty nice for the price. And they had my size in purple or lime-green. Woo Hoo, (purple and lime-green, now what is that all about?) Rolls

Drybones
02-11-2014, 13:34
Think I'm going to buy to make my pup a warm sleeping bag of his own...it's lil tight in my marmot helium bag w him when it's cold as heck out ..

I use a fleece pull over I bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks, had to cut the sleeves off a little. He also has a Walmart blue foam pad and a child's sleeping bag to keep the back end warm. If that doesn't warm him up I try this:

Drybones
02-11-2014, 13:43
No, you won't. Sorry. However, if you pull out a titanium pot/mug while in camp, everyone will know you are so cool! :)

I'll probably be shunned when I pull this out and start cooking.

saltysack
02-11-2014, 13:52
I use a fleece pull over I bought at a thrift store for a couple of bucks, had to cut the sleeves off a little. He also has a Walmart blue foam pad and a child's sleeping bag to keep the back end warm. If that doesn't warm him up I try this:

My lil jack Russell gets cold easy at camp/sleeping. He has a ruff wear fleece jacket. I bought a cheap fleece blanket and uses a cut down zlite pad but still end up giving up my montbel down parka to put over top when he shivers... Worst case squeeze him in my bag but I can't sleep good as it's to cramped. If I can get a good down layer he's fine.http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/12/equna3ap.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/12/zu3y8yde.jpghttp://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/02/12/ebajusy4.jpg

marti038
02-11-2014, 15:37
I went to Wal-Mart during my lunch hour and bought two of these. They had one in navy and one in grey.

If I put a Patagonia or Mtn Hardware or TNF logo on the chest of these 95% of folks would be none the wiser. The elastic around the bottom is a little odd, but it's not horribly restrictive. I wore it while out and about and it was quite warm. There are pockets on both sides of the front and they both have zippers. There are pockets inside the jacket as well, but they are at the bottom, not up on your chest. They don't seem very functional, but maybe good for a map or something?

If I had to guess where the drastic price difference comes from between these and a high end brand, I would say most of it is the high end brand logo. The rest is that the jacket is filled with duck down, not goose down and there's probably less of it than some other jackets.

Considering the price, this was a great buy. I'm pretty pumped about it and I'm thinking about sleeping outside tonight </sarcasm>.

leaftye
02-11-2014, 15:58
Things like DWR coatings, calenderd fabric, quality of zippers, etc., do make a significant difference in the performance of the gear. It also effects price.

MEC gear isn't exactly cheap, but they keep using cheap zippers in their down jackets even though customers have been complaining about it in reviews on their website for years.

Drybones
02-20-2014, 21:43
Well, after wearing the Walmart jacket around the house for a couple of weeks I went back and bought another one today, I'm a sucker for a deal, don't ask me how I'm going to wear three down jackets, might give one away when I decide which color I like best.

Dogwood
02-20-2014, 21:56
Any chance I could get one of those from ya? I'm only messing around. You got a good deal. I'm happy for ya. Now you have one for yard work. One for changing the oil in the truck. One for hiking. :) I'm still working on my research.:o

Damn Yankee
02-20-2014, 22:04
I have checked both of my local Walmarts and nothing. You guys must have cleaned them out and they had to transfer them to the other stores. Darn.

hermit1970
02-20-2014, 22:20
I went online and couldnt find the jacket. Is this just an in-store thing?

HooKooDooKu
02-20-2014, 22:36
I think it's a hit-or-miss thing. There are obviously clearance prices, and based on this discussion, when someone finds them, they usually don't find many.

I know the 1st walmart I looked did NOT have the jackets in stock, but the second one had three... only one of which was in my size.

McPick
02-21-2014, 16:01
Drove to Wisconsin last weekend, to explore the ice caves. Stopped at a W-mart in Des Moines and found about 6 of these jackets. I bought an XL although I'd rather have an XXL. Got back in the car just as the snow began. Drove in a blizzard, avoiding about 40 wrecks, for the next 7 hours.

Met a long-lost cousin at a rib joint in Superior for dinner. Consumed much beer over family history discussions. (Loved it!) After dinner, I missed the turn into my motel, but did a quick turn into the next empty lot where I got stuck in about 2' of snow.

I grabbed that new down jacket and spent the next hour digging out the car. The temp was 0. The wind was steady at about 15MPH.

Truth be told... I'm not sure if it was the exertion, the mass quantities of beer, or the new jacket that kept me warm. But I sure do like that $21 jacket!

PS. The ice caves were fantastic!

sfdoc
02-21-2014, 16:08
I too just bought one. They run a little small, so I bought the XXL. Provides decent warmth for it's weight. Can't go wrong for $21.

martinb
02-21-2014, 16:26
No luck finding any down here at multiple WMs. Bugger.

Wise Old Owl
02-21-2014, 17:06
I went up to wally world and to check these out and here is what I saw. If you look at the pictures you may see the same thing. The ribs on the wal mat one were fake, there were no ribbed chambers, if you look on the inside you notice it is one solid sheet of material. Also on the ones I looked at they were not down or feathers, but pure poly fill. I do know different walmarts sell different stuff, these that I looked at were called faded glory. So the name is different than the picture. They were still nice jackets, I went to Kolhs and found the same thing done the same way only they were $50 marked down to $10. Still A nice jacket. I just would not compare to a na no puff. Not the same league.

Just got back from Walmart, bought a down jacket on sale for $21.00, looks about the same as the Marmot Zeus I was wearing at the time but lighter weight, Marmot weighs 16 oz, the Walmart jacket weighs 12 oz. The Marmot cost $200, the Walmart $21....not a bad deal.

Well nice find Drybones. Honest I can't find what you are talking about. Understand there are different kinds of down

http://www.plumeriabay.com/images/loft-fill-power.jpg

That's the short version. Enjoy the jacket.

daddytwosticks
02-21-2014, 17:06
They are getting purged quickly. WM is now putting out summer stuff. When I visited my sister in a small town west of Nashville last month, they were opening up a new WM store. Figured I'd check them out and maybe get lucky finding this elusive jacket. No such luck. All their new stock was summer crap in January! :)

lbbrown
02-21-2014, 17:10
Check out walmart online- has Realtree camo down jacket $29

Wise Old Owl
02-23-2014, 18:12
Filling material: 80 percent down, 20 percent feather

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Realtree-AP-Xtra-Packable-Down-Jacket/27860013#Specifications

NOW ITS $49 I would pass on this there is no mention of waterproofing or water resistance.

Hoofit
02-23-2014, 18:29

Ha ! That's put the cat amongst the Pigeons !

MacCherokee
03-01-2014, 09:04
I stumbled on these jackets the other night. Picked up two. Could not pass it up

Drybones
03-02-2014, 20:23
Well, I put the infamous Walmart jacket to the test this week end. A group of us did an 8-mile night hike Friday, 14-mile Saturday, and finished up with 8 miles Sunday. It started raining Friday night, so in keeping with my usual ability to lose things I left my long sleeve wool 1/4 zip on the trail when I stopped to put on a rain jacket, didn't pay but $20 for the shirt but it was my favorite, all I had then was a tee shirt and the jacket. The low Friday was around 35 and Saturday 40, the jacket kept me warm with only a tee shirt under it and had to be unzipped if I moved around much. Attached is a photo of me with the WM jacket next to a friend with a Patagonia for comparison. Also attached is a photo with a lady wearing a purple jacket, I thought it was identcal to the Marmot my wife has...it was a $19 jacket she got at Academy, I mention this just to say you can get some pretty good gear on a limited budget.

HooKooDooKu
03-02-2014, 22:50
Well, I put the infamous Walmart jacket to the test this week end. A group of us did an 8-mile night hike Friday, 14-mile Saturday, and finished up with 8 miles Sunday. It started raining Friday night, so in keeping with my usual ability to lose things I left my long sleeve wool 1/4 zip on the trail when I stopped to put on a rain jacket, didn't pay but $20 for the shirt but it was my favorite, all I had then was a tee shirt and the jacket. The low Friday was around 35 and Saturday 40, the jacket kept me warm with only a tee shirt under it and had to be unzipped if I moved around much. Attached is a photo of me with the WM jacket next to a friend with a Patagonia for comparison. Also attached is a photo with a lady wearing a purple jacket, I thought it was identcal to the Marmot my wife has...it was a $19 jacket she got at Academy, I mention this just to say you can get some pretty good gear on a limited budget.

Closely parallels my first use of the jacket this weekend.
I don't know what the final temperatures were, but the forecast had called for lows near freezing. I was pretty comfortable in camp before going to sleep wearing a thin nylon t-shirt, shorts, rain pants, wool cap, and the $21 wal-mart jacket. The jacket basically replaced a heavier sweatshirt I would have otherwise carried with me. I was quite happy with the substitute.

Adriana
03-03-2014, 06:16

If you had bought one for her too you might have gotten a better reaction?

marti038
03-03-2014, 10:12
I didn't know they were available in black. May have to look around for another now.

HooKooDooKu
03-03-2014, 10:38
I didn't know they were available in black. May have to look around for another now.
I think that's the color I have... it's not black but a real dark navy blue.

mudsocks
03-03-2014, 12:19

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Men-s-Realtree-AP-Xtra-Packable-Down-Jacket/27860013#Specifications

NOW ITS $49 I would pass on this there is no mention of waterproofing or water resistance.

It's NOT waterproof, but does appear to have a light DWR as water beads off. You can still get one for $30 (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Your-Choice-of-His-or-Hers-Realtree-Xtra-Ultra-Light-Packable-Down-Jacket/32177348?action=product_interest&action_type=title&placement_id=irs_middle&strategy=PWVUB&visitor_id=52869052388&category=0%3A4125%3A4155%3A136305&client_guid=86447c84-9a0a-4e8b-bfbd-4b153e3c0b91&customer_id_enc=c4f0de964491e9abbc6951102f63dffc&config_id=2&parent_item_id=27860013&guid=6b50f6aa-f70b-4ef3-9af9-f078c45ba1c9&bucket_id=irsbucketdefault&findingMethod=p13n).

Drybones
03-03-2014, 13:38
I think that's the color I have... it's not black but a real dark navy blue.

They did come in black, silver, and navy...I got a black and a silver.

Drybones
03-03-2014, 13:42

When I picked the jacket up I was expecting to feel feathers, but didn't, don't know how consistant the product is but mine feels like all decent quality down.

MacCherokee
03-03-2014, 19:00
They also have orange near me, and they are marked down to $9.

saltysack
03-04-2014, 11:01
They also have orange near me, and they are marked down to $9.

Where?

Drybones
03-05-2014, 19:14
Where?

I stopped by the east Gadsden Walmart on the way home from REI to grab some breads and saw they had two silver in size small and a navy medium for $9.

saltysack
03-05-2014, 19:16
I stopped by the east Gadsden Walmart on the way home from REI to grab some breads and saw they had two silver in size small and a navy medium for $9.

Where is that? Unfortunately Wally World will not ship cause not on website ..:(.... Med would prob be perfect for my pup...

saltysack
03-05-2014, 19:21
If anyone bought a med, lg, xl I'll gladly buy to make bag for my hiking partner ...

saltysack
03-05-2014, 19:29
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/03/06/u2u9u2yh.jpg