PDA

View Full Version : canister backup

squeezebox
02-06-2014, 22:27
What do you do as a backup to a canister stove ? I'm thinking a 4 oz. canister gross wt, is about 7 oz. not too much different than a 6 oz bottle of OH and wind screen. The guy I talk to most at the local Rei carrys a nesbit stove as backup. felt kinda heavy in the box.
I think a backup is a good thing to do.
Your opinion ??

bfayer
02-06-2014, 22:36
If you are talking the AT. Eat cold food till you find a gas station, buy two sodas and a can of Heat. 20 minutes later you have a stove. On any given day in hiker season, there is always someone that will boil water for you if your stove craps out on you, so the cold food is the worst case scenario for a day or two. Campfires work well too :)

You can't carry a back up for everything.

Meriadoc
02-06-2014, 22:38
Backup is a fire. (To clarify: a camp fire. With wood :D) Blacken that pot! Lighter or firesteel is all you need and you will be carrying those anyhow.

Cheers.

jimmyjam
02-06-2014, 22:51
I carry a couple of esbit tabs as backup for my alcohol set up. they also make great fire starters.

squeezebox
02-07-2014, 10:39
Jimmy ?
Do you carry the esbit stove as well?
My thoughts. I've got an MSR pocket rocket. the burner is about an in. from the bottom of the pot. I could use a piece of can lid , maybe from sardines ,trimmed to cover the burner, or a flattened wad of Al foil , esbitt tab, light, cook.
The reason for the can lid would be to keep the tab from direct contact with the burner, less chance of overheating & warping the burner.
Yea! I'll try it at home and report.

hoppy from GA
02-07-2014, 11:27
In an emergency, it's amazing what you can do with a few twigs for fuel and small rocks for a stand.

hoppy from GA
02-07-2014, 11:39
I also agree with jimmyjam. For emergencies, I also take a couple of esbit tablets or wetfires on every hike. makes a good firestarter, too, especially when the wood's wet and its slow to get it going.

Prime Time
02-07-2014, 11:52
Of the 200 or so people I headed north with on my thru, I knew one guy who's stove crapped out on him and that's because it fell 3 feet to the ground onto a rock off of a cooking shelf in a shelter. You have a greater chance of something going wrong with your tent or backpack and you're not going to carry an extra one of those. It's best to borrow or improvise. Everyone does.

perdidochas
02-07-2014, 15:54
What do you do as a backup to a canister stove ? I'm thinking a 4 oz. canister gross wt, is about 7 oz. not too much different than a 6 oz bottle of OH and wind screen. The guy I talk to most at the local Rei carrys a nesbit stove as backup. felt kinda heavy in the box.
I think a backup is a good thing to do.
Your opinion ??

Carry a couple of esbit tablets as backup. Make the stove from three rocks or three tent stakes.