PDA

View Full Version : Mike here:

Mike415
02-06-2014, 22:49
I have decided that I will begin next April 1 or 15, my birthday, to hike the trail. I have read books, this site, and lord knows, ever gear site there is. I am looking forward to the hike although , like most of you, a bit worried about whether I can remember all the things I am to learn and do on the trip. Hope to hear from you. Mike

bfayer
02-06-2014, 22:58
For your planned start date I wouldn't worry about the weather too much, just start with the right gear (i.e. don't go stupid light) and you will be fine. Welcome to WB.

HikerMom58
02-07-2014, 00:37
Hi Mike... welcome!

shelb
02-07-2014, 01:24
Welcome! You will find a lot of information here!

aficion
02-07-2014, 04:00
Welcome and Godspeed.

Old Hiker
02-07-2014, 10:20
3 things to remember:

a. Pack your pack.
b. Put it on your back.
c. Start walking. (Preferrable the same direction you were walking the previous day.) :)

Unless I repeat something a LOT or over many days, I tend to forget it. All the nifty tricks I read about here on WB, I pretty much forgot.

The first few weeks on the Trail, I obsessed with going over every inch of ground to make sure I didn't leave anything behind. It got better over time. Once I packed, I knew I was packed and ready to go.

Practice until then! Good luck on your hike.

Mike415
02-07-2014, 18:17
Thanks all. I am completely overwhelmed at work now and for the next for the three of four weeks; that said, I find solace in the upcoming walk. This will be a good time to meet new folks and get back to basics.

Deadeye
02-07-2014, 19:27
Welcome and good luck. With a long hike, whether it's 5 days or 5 months, it's all in the mind.

rock steady
02-11-2014, 00:06
Welcome! You'll do well I'm sure. I'm starting march 1st or 2nd but prob gonna go slow the first week at least. Be careful and God bless!

Doc Mike
02-11-2014, 00:24
I'm doing a 350 mile section starting on the approach trail on April 8th. Hope to see you out there and good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Terry7
02-11-2014, 11:37
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwjpBT4fyuBBCznQDy_QYsw my you tube channel no gear advice but you can get an idea of trail life

Rolls Kanardly
02-11-2014, 13:35
Welcome Mike415, may every shelter be a five star motel for you. Good luck on your hike. Rolls

4eyedbuzzard
02-11-2014, 14:22
. . . a bit worried about whether I can remember all the things I am to learn and do on the trip.Walk, eat, sleep, repeat 180 times (or so). It's so easy even a Texan can do it. ;) Best of luck on your hike!

mcgame
02-11-2014, 14:27
I'll be starting April 1st. Hope to see you!!

MkBibble
02-11-2014, 14:49
When our first child was born, I told the nurse that I had NO idea how to change a diaper. She told me not to worry; I would be an expert in a month. I haven't thru-hiked, but suspect the same thought applies.

Dahoyt
03-10-2014, 13:38
Just study, save money, be confident, and have a good time... Don't overthink it, just make the right gear choices, and don't push yourself too far too fast... The rest will fall into place!

Tipi Walter
03-10-2014, 14:02
I have decided that I will begin next April 1 or 15, my birthday, to hike the trail. I have read books, this site, and lord knows, ever gear site there is. I am looking forward to the hike although , like most of you, a bit worried about whether I can remember all the things I am to learn and do on the trip. Hope to hear from you. Mike

If you don't work the midnight shift, and if you haven't started doing it, I'd start sleeping outside tonight in your backyard or on a porch (not IN a porsche*) or on your deck and start getting used to sleeping under a bag and atop a pad. Eventually this system may even become your preferred sleeping system later when you're off the trail. I still do it at home in the yard. It grows on ya---maybe. Sure you could do this indoors but it's different under the stars. Prepare for the cold and rain or even snow this way by using a shelter or a tarp or a bivy sack or whatever you have planned.

* Reminds me of an old joke: A house painter arrives to paint a wealthy owner's house and the guy tells him to paint the house white and don't forget the porch in the back. Owner returns later in the day and finds his Porsche a dull latex white. Ha ha.

Mike415
03-15-2014, 14:31
thanks all; have finally told partners of my trip; they are supportive but don't really think i will do it. bought my scale to weigh stuff; working out a bit but planning more. mike

YesRushGen
03-19-2014, 08:52
thanks all; have finally told partners of my trip; they are supportive but don't really think i will do it. bought my scale to weigh stuff; working out a bit but planning more. mike

Hey Mike - Kelly here. I'm starting out March 12th, 2015. For me, the final commitment and notification of intent was to start my blog. In my mind, that is what's binding me. Also, I am well into gear acquisition - so financially I feel bound.

So far, the response I've received on the blog is overwhelmingly positive, with no "nay-sayeers" so far. However, I do plan to implement Zach Davis's suggestion (from Appalachian Trials) and ask if anyone wants to bet against me!

Maybe we'll cross paths out there next year.

Kelly

Dahoyt
03-31-2014, 14:24
Welcome to WB!

Mike415
04-18-2014, 23:51
Thanks guys

Mike415
11-06-2014, 12:44
Mike Back: I am finally feeling it; the apprehension, the holy **** i'm really going to do this, the sadness at leaving my job and friends let alone my wife and kids and grandkids, the anxiousness of whether I can do this, and the panic that I am not yet really trail ready. So there you have it or at last most of it. I have most of the "gear" and since I am blessed to be doing this at the end of my career I can substitute money for experience and get the lightest stuff I can find. That said it has not been an easy road. I had my second knee replaced June 24 and I have been recovering ever since. The swelling and inflammation are slowly receding and I was finally able to walk (without) weight over an hour without any pain at all. Today I will probably walk an hour as well. My goal is to build more or less like a marathon by keeping miles low most days and one or two days going up a mile until I get to 18 which are Texas flat land miles. So...it is really great that I am finally healing. Now to learn to cook; something I have never ever done unless pouring cheerios in a bowl and adding milk counts. I have finally gained acceptance from most of my partners to this foolish endeavor and even some clients are supportive. So as I see it gear is about complete, learning to cook and water are still to be done, resupply issues are still to be done ( began breaking down the trip in miles trying to figure this out and it is very difficult), the physical part seems to be coming together and now the mental. So I'm on schedule for April 1 or April 15 start NOBO. I know it is contrary to custom to name yourself but I have decided to give myself a trail name anyway: I am now TinMan...named after my two knees. I actually feel it appropriate because I wake up and need oil to get my joints to work. Comments welcome so long as you are not to discouraging. My doctor daughter has been telling me how difficult this will be and how I need to find partners to walk with who as best I can tell is an Emergency room Dr with an Orthopedic specialty who has a helicopter who will follow behind me. Not real helpful. So here's to all you crazy people out there. Mike

T-Rx
11-06-2014, 15:28
Mike415,
Just keep steadily improving on your physical conditioning and things will come together for you. My wife and I (also retirees) will start NOBO on April 1 (trail names: Buck and Fuzz). Our oldest son is also a physician, and he has expressed some apprehension about our undertaking this adventure, even though my wife and I have been avid exercisers and athletes our entire lives. We accommodated him with the purchase of a DeLorme InReach GPS unit and as he has learned more about the trail his apprehension has eased up a bit. We also will purchase an AWOL guide for him so he and his family can follow us on the trail. Read the resupply articles on Whiteblaze as they are very helpful but don't do too much planning. Spend your time with conditioning and getting your equipment dialed in. Just plan to have a great adventure and take it one day at a time. The AT guide will give you most all the info you need about resupply and as for cooking...... Just learn to boil water! See you on the trail!

CarlZ993
11-06-2014, 20:40
Good luck, Tinman. It can get cold in those mountains in early Spring. Don't forget to pack your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Happy Trails! Zman

jawnzee
11-09-2014, 09:53
Good luck, Tinman. It can get cold in those mountains in early Spring. Don't forget to pack your fuzzy bunny slippers.

Happy Trails! Zman

This is excellent advice to get a great trail name

shelb
11-11-2014, 00:35
Good Luck! Read Trail Journals too!