PDA

View Full Version : Cooking grease

Siarl
02-07-2014, 03:46
If there is grease left over after say, cooking bacon right after hitting a resupply. What does a person do with the cooking grease? I know what I do with it here at home but if it's Leave It Like You Found It then one doesn't dump it do they? Plus it would attract unwanted attention from animals. I guess I could leave out having fresh bacon and eggs a day after a resupply but it sure would sound good.

aficion
02-07-2014, 03:56
If there is grease left over after say, cooking bacon right after hitting a resupply. What does a person do with the cooking grease? I know what I do with it here at home but if it's Leave It Like You Found It then one doesn't dump it do they? Plus it would attract unwanted attention from animals. I guess I could leave out having fresh bacon and eggs a day after a resupply but it sure would sound good.

Makes a great fire starter. If you are near a firepit that needs cleaning up you can get a good blaze going quickly to consume combustibles while you drag out the non combustibles with a stick to put in your plastic grocery bag that you use to gather trash as you hike. (let the non combustibles cool before inserting in sack) while you enjoy the fire in the cool of the morning. After burning make sure to wet down everything well and give yourself a big pat on the back for getting through the night without having your bacon stolen by marauding meeces or BooBoo and Yogi.

mrcoffeect
02-07-2014, 07:17
down it like a shot of whiskey.:-?

Old Hillwalker
02-07-2014, 07:57
Mix it with peanut butter and use it as a spread for bagels, tortillas, or just slurp it down.

daddytwosticks
02-07-2014, 08:14
Waterproof your leather boots (just kidding)...:)

RedBeerd
02-07-2014, 08:47
Use it with some instant mashed instead of water. Yum

CalebJ
02-07-2014, 09:27
What is this 'leftover grease'?

squeezebox
02-07-2014, 09:33
I was thinking ham instead of bacon. One of the small canned ones, or 1/2 lb from the deli, or I've seen seen ham steaks vacuum packed in plastic they should last a long time unopened , I will try to stay away from spam.

Nodust
02-07-2014, 10:02
Keep it and use it with other meals. Bacon grease will last a long time before spoiling.

lonehiker
02-07-2014, 10:18
Buy shelf-stable bacon (precooked) and you won't have that issue.

Hot Flash
02-07-2014, 11:02
Scrape it into a small ziploc bag and cook with it later. Throw it away or burn it? HERESY.

FarmerChef
02-07-2014, 11:53
Keep it and mix it in with any of your other dinners that follow. Rice, potatoes, pasta? All are much tastier with bacon grease. :)

HooKooDooKu
02-07-2014, 12:10
Bacon grease is not very compatible with LNT... not unless you pack it out... which gets into a whole new discussion on keeping the grease contained so it doesn't get all over stuff in your back pack.

So I would suggest that if you really want bacon, just buy some "real" bacon bits from the salad dressing isle. Less weight, less waste & less mess to pack back out.

Pedaling Fool
02-07-2014, 12:10
I like the idea of people using it for follow-on meals.

However, if you don't do this or you still have a little left over just throw it out. Of course you don't dump it right next to your tent (or next to a lean-to/camping area). I just walk it out in the woods a little and scatter it (or you can bury it). There is absolutely no need to carry it to a trash can.

I never throw food waste in a trash can; regardless if I'm at home or on the trail or anywhere.

Odd Man Out
02-07-2014, 12:47
Keep it and mix it in with any of your other dinners that follow. Rice, potatoes, pasta? All are much tastier with bacon grease. :)

Or oatmeal!

4eyedbuzzard
02-07-2014, 14:36
Smear it on the packs of other hikers who are sleeping in. Keeps YOU safe from bears. :eek: :D

lonehiker
02-07-2014, 14:54
Dispose of waste properly: Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food and litter.

It is a shame that posters who have posted thousands if times give out absurd advice that go against LNT principles.

Old Hiker
02-07-2014, 15:02
Dispose of waste properly: Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food and litter.

It is a shame that posters who have posted thousands if times give out absurd advice that go against LNT principles.

I count only 1.5 posts that may be "absurd". Burning it can't be worse than a regular fire in an established fire pit.

As for smearing it on other hikers' backpacks, was I the only one to get the humor? I was thinking their toes, just to slow them down a bit so they didn't pass me as quickly. Depending on bear activity in the area, of course.

lonehiker
02-07-2014, 15:15
Was targeted primarily at post #14. I did see the humor in the smearing post. Can't you tell?

Siarl
02-07-2014, 15:28
I agree. But everyone has an opinion and perhaps more education is needed. I do disagree though with throwing it out in the woods. It can attract unwanted attention for bears and other animals. It appears at first thought that it might not be a bad thing but throwing food out on the ground anywhere, in my opinion, is a bad idea. It attracts animals and those animals will continue to depend on that habit. Soon, one would begin to see a pattern of animal behavior such as that at the shelters along the Georgia trail that now seem to attract bears on a regular schedule. The bears should be hibernating at the time but now are present for the expected arrival of hikers and their food. The bears natural cycle has now been altered by human interaction. I do thank you for the suggestion but I tend to friendly disagree.

Dogwood
02-07-2014, 18:46
Have you ever noticed the odor of left behind meat grease/cooking oil/cooked animal fats/meat scraps like bones(sometimes rancid, as if it was simply discarded into the woods nearby) or unsightly discarded left behind tins of Spam or fish or Vienna Snausages at campsites and specifically in campfire rings. I have. MANY times. I know others have too. This stuff even if not in tins etc still leave behind odors in campfire rings. If I can smell this stuff bruins and other critters surely can. Consider also that on many trails trail maintainers and volunteers are hauling this crap out with them that's sometimes left behind. Pack it in. Use it up on trail or pack it out. Good to notice the awareness level of many!

atmilkman
02-07-2014, 18:57
Buy shelf-stable bacon (precooked) and you won't have that issue.
+1 on this.

Pedaling Fool
02-07-2014, 18:57

Any organization that tells you to pack out TP is giving absurd advice. http://lnt.org/about/faq/burning-trash-or-used-toilet-paper-ok

Excerpt:
"Plan ahead to pack the toilet paper out—in a plastic bag—with you."

>
>
>
>
>

First off, people spout off mindless memes in these areas, with such things as: "it attracts unwanted wildlife" or "You'll make wildlife dependent on human food wast", blah, blah, blah...

We're talking about a small amount of food stuff and as I said in post #14 I never throw near my tent nor near any established campsite, because if everyone did that it would attract wildlife. I will concede that where ever you throw it something MAY catch a whiff of it and investigate, but there will be nothing to eat, but even if they got a scrap of something it is not going to be enough for them to become dependent on humans -- it won't hurt a damn thing -- remember I said walk it out in the woods, not the same as everyone dumping it near a leanto, that would obviously cause problem.

Furthermore, you are already attracting them by your cooking. And then that smell never went away since you bag up your foodwaste and keep it in your "garbage bag"; don't tell me you can make that stuff odor proof, no ain't going to happen.

P.S. I know one question will be, What if everyone did it?.... Even if everyone dumped it (same amount of food waste) somewhere out in the woods it ain't going to make any animal dependent on human food. It's too little and too dispersed and random. BTW, from my observation, most people do clean out their pots (as well as food containers) near shelters (which I don't do) and throw the waste water near the shelter, which inevitably has foodwast mixed in; that may explain, at least in part, the mice problem, but nothing else.

So, I'll continue to throw my food waste out in the woods and you'll can keep your foodwaste in your bags and wonder why so many bears are stealing foodbags in Georgia:rolleyes:

Dogwood
02-07-2014, 19:56
All it takes is a small amount of food stuff odors to attract wildlife and for wildlife to associate humans with food odors. Just a simple unconscientiously discarded candy wrapper with the combined human odors and food odors on it can get wildlife to associate humans with food. Don't argue with me; argue with Pavlov, Wildlife Authorities, animal trainers, the National Park Service, biologists, wildlife experts, conservationists, hunters who bait wildlife, fisherman, etc.

bfayer
02-07-2014, 20:45
I have to agree with Dogwood and the others on this one. Pack it in, pack it out. Leaving food waste in the woods, especially near shelters and campsites (not that anyone said they were doing that), just turns wild animals into human acclimated pests. A large animal like a bear that turns into a pest, sooner or later ends up as a dead bear.

I had a friend that trained police dogs years ago. To get the the dogs to track people, he would have a target person feed the dog a treat, then the target would move back and he would lead the dog up to the target and the dog would get another treat. The dog would associate the smell of the person with the treat. They would increase the distance until the target was dropping treats every fifty feet or so where the dog could not see them.

After awhile the treats were not needed. The dog would know that the smell of the target equaled free treat, and he would follow the smell of the target knowing that when he caught up he would get a reward, even if it took a couple of miles. Simple association: smell of person = reward.

Bears have a sense of smell that is something 7 times better than a dog and are not just motivated by treats, but by the instinct for survival that well fed dogs don't have.

If you can't pack it out, at least bury it well away from shelters and camp sites. Burying it is still not good, but it's better than just dumping it in the woods.

aficion
02-07-2014, 20:56
Have you ever noticed the odor of left behind meat grease/cooking oil/cooked animal fats/meat scraps like bones(sometimes rancid, as if it was simply discarded into the woods nearby) or unsightly discarded left behind tins of Spam or fish or Vienna Snausages at campsites and specifically in campfire rings. I have. MANY times. I know others have too. This stuff even if not in tins etc still leave behind odors in campfire rings. If I can smell this stuff bruins and other critters surely can. Consider also that on many trails trail maintainers and volunteers are hauling this crap out with them that's sometimes left behind. Pack it in. Use it up on trail or pack it out. Good to notice the awareness level of many!

Have you noticed the odor of thru hikers? Humans are wildlife. Should we make sure no apples fall from Human Planted trees where wildlife may find them? You people are just plain silly.

Pedaling Fool
02-07-2014, 21:37
All it takes is a small amount of food stuff odors to attract wildlife and for wildlife to associate humans with food odors. Just a simple unconscientiously discarded candy wrapper with the combined human odors and food odors on it can get wildlife to associate humans with food. Don't argue with me; argue with Pavlov, Wildlife Authorities, animal trainers, the National Park Service, biologists, wildlife experts, conservationists, hunters who bait wildlife, fisherman, etc.
Yes we've all heard of Pavlov...but we're not talking about a consistent source of food since it is such a small amount casted away in random areas. Anyway, how many hikers throw away significant portions of food? (Rhetorical, we all know the answer)

Futhermore, as I said above, I've seen tons of hikers cast foodwaste-contaminated water after cleaning a pot or other food container very near the shelter. What effect has that had?

Again, I don't even condone that; like I said I walk out into the woods. Any animal that may come across it may be attracted by the smell, but they ain't going to get any real reward. However, the problem is primarily the cooking that they will smell as the aroma drifts off with the fumes. And what about all the hanging foodbags that get stolen.

Throwing some scraps out in the woods (note: not dumping them, casting them) will mostly only be eaten by insects/microbes.

WRT wildlife experts, have you ever heard of supplemental feeding http://wildlife.utah.gov/deer-winter-feeding.html or http://www.fws.gov/nwrs/threecolumn.aspx?id=2147541839

Those animals don't get habituated and no animal is going to get habituated to scraps of food casted into the woods for reasons I already mentioned. Now you could make a case for hikers habituating the bear in Georgia, but that is hanging food.

BTW, your discarded candy wrapper scenario is silly, again one major requirement is consistency; secondly, how many candy wrappers that belonged to hikers have leftover candy (again Rhetorical...) If by chance a candy is accidently left it will only be a treat, it ain't going to habituate anything :rolleyes:

Siarl
02-07-2014, 21:40
Okay. I think someone needs a nap. Goodnight.

Hikes in Rain
02-07-2014, 21:52
I recall a system from one of the older AT books, perhaps from the first volume of the big two volume Rodale Press stories? The author took the skillet from the old Scout cook kit, back when they were heavy enough to be useful. Fried two slices of bacon and an egg. I think the old fashioned smoked and dried bacon may have made less fat. After eating that out of the pan, without washing, he made cream of wheat. The bits of egg, bacon and grease flavored and enriched the cereal. After that, again without washing, he made cocoa, and the bits of cereal thickened and flavored the drink. By that time, the pan just needed a rinse, and he was well fed and good to go.

Wise Old Owl
02-07-2014, 22:41
Consider leaving him alone perhaps something happened here to trigger those posts ...let's move on.

The slightest bacon greese will bring on the curse of the skunks. Its pure fat and that's caloric energy. Fat is the best energy for the trail.

MDSection12
02-07-2014, 22:48
You are correct WOO, I apologize for my post. I was frustrated to see such blatantly off-topic and opinionated posts here and I reacted poorly.

Sadly no edit or delete function, but aficion I apologize and just know I'd have deleted it if I could.

MuddyWaters
02-08-2014, 00:04
You eat it.
You eat all of your food.
What you dont eat, you pack out.
Period.

bfayer
02-08-2014, 00:10
You eat it.
You eat all of your food.
What you dont eat, you pack out.
Period.

Or share with others :). Love bacon.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Siarl
02-08-2014, 00:48
I'm not averse to using the grease in other food stuffs or even to cooking it in with the eggs. By the time I get to the trail I will most likely eat anything that's in the cook pot. Okay. Now let the food fight begin. LOL Humor. What do we see in it?

Game Warden
03-06-2014, 19:18
If you want to read a good backpacking story involving bacon grease, read "to build a fire" by Jack London. the protagonist carries biscuits with bacon grease. Excellent choice for a last meal!

Siarl
03-07-2014, 01:08
I have a recipe for Cat Head Biscuits that are just scrumptious and the recipe is simple, Flour, butter (bacon grease would make a great substitute) and a little salt. That's it. You cut the grease or butter and salt into the flour until it is cut into the flour evenly. Not too much. You want those very miniscule pockets of grease or butter to melt and soften and turn into scrumptious pockets of wonderful flavor. Cook in a skillet or pan with a top over a fire but not enough to burn the bottom until brown and done. Bacon grease. It will almost make you an Appalachian mountain native. I loved and miss my mom's homemade biscuits with plenty of fresh homemade apple butter. What is the magic word? Bacon grease.

QiWiz
03-07-2014, 09:52

[1] Eat it or pack it out.
[2] Pack it out or eat it.
[3] If unwilling to do [1] or [2], mix it with a good amount of soil or duff and then scatter these greasy bits over a wide area, well away from trail and camp, but don't kid yourself - animals will smell it, consume it, and be rewarded for going for the smell of grease - this will make them more likely to come into camps where the same smell is drifting to them on the wind during cooking. Not good to change animal behavior. Just sayin . . .

whiskeystick
03-08-2014, 13:28
Give it to the nice section hiker that is getting off the trail in the next day or so.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk