PDA

View Full Version : Trail Magic

A/B
02-08-2014, 00:51
Great day today, as I got to finally meet Teacher and Snacktime!

I've been on this forum for about 18 months now, and I'm still learning that it is a all about the people and community.

I'm hiking the AT this year, and happen to live near Teacher. She likes to follow the blogs of local through hikers, likes to put a face to the name, and asked if we could get together. How can you refuse lunch with a lovely lady and her grandson?!

We planned to get together today, and met at a local restaurant. We had a wonderful time over lunch getting to know each other. Well, before I put one foot on the AT, I received 2 types of trail magic! First, Snacktime, an impressive young man who has learned how to sew(!), gave me a small bag that he makes and fills with such trail magic as candies, matches, and TP. I'm taking the bag with me, which will be perfect as part of my bear-bagging kit.

Then, after a great lunch, Teacher picks up the check, and will not allow me to pay. I'm embarrassed and wowed at the same time by this gracious lady. Talk about paying it forward!

So, thank you again, Teacher and Snacktime. Thank you AT community, Whiteblaze community, for supporting me before, during, and after. I really don't know what I am in for, but know that there will always be somebody who has my back!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-08-2014, 01:09
It was absolutely our pleasure...Best of luck on your hike, Curious George! And remember, you're never alone....there's a whole WB family here that has your back!

(about paying forward....remind me to tell you about the Hanover NH speeding ticket, or just check out the journal entry "A Wonderful Day")

https://scontent-b-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1/1908220_727907797227624_403398157_n.jpg

HikerMom58
02-08-2014, 01:17
UH-HUH!!! That's what I'm talkin about!! Teacher and Snacktime you ROCK! Have a wonderful hike A/B!! Looking forward to meeting you too, A/B! aka Curious George! :)

LIhikers
02-08-2014, 18:30
Yep, they are a dynamic duo.
It's nice to meet others who enjoy the same things. I had the pleasure to meet them last month :)

Deer Hunter
02-08-2014, 19:08
Nice people! Looking forward to seeing them again this spring.

Ox97GaMe
02-08-2014, 23:35
I plan to meet them this spring to provide a bit of trail magic. Maybe I will get the opportunity to meet Curious George too. Cant miss me. Im the crazy trail angel with the Tennesse Big Orange tailgating canopy and coolers. :)

Mags
02-09-2014, 00:09
I grew up in Coventry...that's all I can really contribute to the thread :D That, and have a great hike!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 00:15
I plan to meet them this spring to provide a bit of trail magic. Maybe I will get the opportunity to meet Curious George too. Cant miss me. Im the crazy trail angel with the Tennesse Big Orange tailgating canopy and coolers. :)

Funny you should mention that.....I told Curious George that we'd (Snacktime and me) find a way to pick him up from wherever he is on the trail and get him to Traildays in Damascus. That shouldn't be a big deal since Snacktime and I will be heading that way after leaving your place. But getting him back to the trail might be more complicated. I volunteered you....sort of, as being willing to help figure out how to get him back to the trail. I basically told him that we'd find a way...(keeping in mind you'd be heading that way).

We'll work it out, I'm sure!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 00:17
Yep, they are a dynamic duo.
It's nice to meet others who enjoy the same things. I had the pleasure to meet them last month :)

It was great meeting you, Kathy and Tora too! Thanks for the lift to our car, and for returning Snacktime's gloves! We'll get together again I hope to finish up Harriman...when it's warmer.

Del Q
02-09-2014, 10:07
Trail magic is always refreshing, a few that come to mind:

Cooler by the side of the road heading NOBO a few miles before Hanover, just as you exit the woods.

Leapfrog Cafe last Spring was by far #1 - cannot remember the guys name, FULL kitchen amazingly well stocked, all donation. he had just gotten back from the grocery store where another customer, once they heard what he was doing, paid his bill. Seem to recall it was like $125

Roan Mountain - two professors from a local college with a big day pack, loaded with small food bags for thru hikers - think that they wanted to drop some weight, gave to us lowly section hikers.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 11:13
I grew up in Coventry...that's all I can really contribute to the thread :D That, and have a great hike!!!

You could add "...and the next time I'm back in RI I'll get together w/ T&S to get MY trail magic bag!"

Lone Wolf
02-09-2014, 11:15

i grew up in north kingstown

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 13:26
I suspect we'll see you in Damascus this May, LW....and yes, we'll have a 2014 bag for you! Probably a cookie too.

Oh, and you never did give us directions to Providence!

rickb
02-09-2014, 16:37
i grew up in north kingstown

I like RI a lot. For short walks, hanging rock trail at the Norman Bird Sanctuary in Middletown before heading over to nearby Sachuest NWR are hard to be beat. Cool that you guys made a connection and shared it here.

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 16:53
I suspect we'll see you in Damascus this May, LW....and yes, we'll have a 2014 bag for you! Probably a cookie too.

Oh, and you never did give us directions to Providence!

Sooo proud of you Teach... WTG! ;)

Ox97GaMe
02-10-2014, 10:02
Funny you should mention that.....I told Curious George that we'd (Snacktime and me) find a way to pick him up from wherever he is on the trail and get him to Traildays in Damascus. That shouldn't be a big deal since Snacktime and I will be heading that way after leaving your place. But getting him back to the trail might be more complicated. I volunteered you....sort of, as being willing to help figure out how to get him back to the trail. I basically told him that we'd find a way...(keeping in mind you'd be heading that way).

We'll work it out, I'm sure!

Teacher: Depending on where he needs to get back to, that shouldnt be too big of a problem. I usually work the Hard Core trail maintenance project the Sun/Mon after traildays. If he is willing to help with that, then we can definitely work out the transportation issue. :) Let me know when you have your hiking plans set. I have a group of college volunteers that I will be working with May 9-14 in the GSMNP that we will need to schedule around. Not sure if that is going to affect your plans or not.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 10:35
I have no doubt we'll work it out.....after all, we're all in this insanity together!

Another Kevin
02-10-2014, 22:37
Drop me a line when you decide to finish Harriman. I promised Snacktime I'd show him some ghost towns.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 22:41
Guaranteed....you don't think we'd go without you do you?