PDA

View Full Version : Hostel On The Decline

Mother Natures Son
02-08-2014, 16:35
Back when I started to hike, (Late 70s) every good size trail or trail town had a hostel. (The HoreshoeTrail even had 5 hostels at one time.) Fast forward to today, most hostels outside of the AT are gone. What has happen? Has most folks given up on hiking and outdoor travels or is there something else that is slowly killing off he hostels?

Tuckahoe
02-08-2014, 17:02
Only on the AT am I willing to use a hostel. Other wise, I really prefer the peace, security and privacy that I can get with a hotel room.

kayak karl
02-08-2014, 17:14
i think reality took a toll on a lot of them. people that loved the trail opened them, but that doesn't pay the bills. building code and use laws change. hikers get out of hand and mess it up for all. i know a few have just retired. i would never own a hostel... it's a thankless job.

LIhikers
02-08-2014, 18:23
In 2006 my wife and I went to Alaska for vacation. We stayed at several different hostels there and really enjoyed meeting people from all over the world. Nothing like sitting down for dinner with them and exchanging stories of what we all had done that day. Sure, it's kind of like sleeping in a shelter along the trail, you get the full mix of humanity, but other than the snoring, it's mostly all good.

CarlZ993
02-08-2014, 18:28
In 2011, my wife & I (along w/ another couple) spent 6 weeks in NZ. We stayed at a lot of hostels. Very common over there. We usually tried to get a room for 4 at the hostels. We usually could. Other than the AT, I haven't stayed @ a hostel in the US.

rickb
02-08-2014, 18:37
Back when I started to hike, (Late 70s) every good size trail or trail town had a hostel. (The HoreshoeTrail even had 5 hostels at one time.) Fast forward to today, most hostels outside of the AT are gone. What has happen? Has most folks given up on hiking and outdoor travels or is there something else that is slowly killing off he hostels?

I hiked the AT after you did (1983 for me) but my impression is that there are a great many more hostels today than there were back then.

Its possible I missed a few, but not sure how. In Maine you had Shaws and the Widow Walk, and in NH you had the Barn and the floor of a frat house in Hanover. Not sure if there was anything at all in VT and in MA not sure if there was anything other than the Community Center in Dalton. In NY you could stay at Graymore and Ralph's Peak Hiker Club. I honestly don't remember anything in PA ow WV and as far as the southern states, you had The Place in Damascus and the Church in Perrisburg.

I am sure I missed one or two, but if I missed a bunch, someone has a lot of explaining to do! Those dastardly NOBOs should have said something!!!!!!!!

Son Driven
02-08-2014, 19:56

Do not recall seeing B&B's in the 70's. Perhaps Hostel owners realized there is money to be made catering to baby boomers, rather then penny starved hikers.

Ox97GaMe
02-08-2014, 23:27
I agree with rickb. I hiked in 97 and have been very active in the trail community from Springer to Damascus since then. There are nearly double the number of hostels in the south than there were when I hiked. Ive heard there are a lot more in New England too, but cant verify.

Examples: There were 2 hostels in GA, now there are about half a dozen. There were 4 hostels in NC, now there are nearly a dozen. TN had 2 hostels, now there are about half a dozen.

soilman
02-08-2014, 23:50
In 76 and 77 there were fewer privately run hostels as I can remember. In Monson there was Shaws and Kens Church. In Hanover there were fraternities, but these weren't exactly hostels. Mountain Meadows in Killington had a hiker barn. There was the church hostel in DWG, pavillion in Port Clinton, fire station in Waynesboro, VA. The Place was in Damascus and there was a church hostel in Hot Springs. So I believe there are many more hostels around today.

max patch
02-08-2014, 23:58
Back in the day there were a lot more church sponsored hostels than today. However, the for-profit hostel industry has exploded and there are many more of those available.

Although I'm wondering if the OP was referring to the AYH's.

Del Q
02-09-2014, 10:13
I agree with Kayak Karl, could not see opening or running one, SUPER appreciate the people along the trail that support the hiker community, including the B & B's. Place to drop ship, ride from and back to the trail.

jdc5294
02-09-2014, 13:35
Did a thru in 2012, I'd say there was a relatively well known and advertised hostel in what, 2/3rds of the towns I stopped in? There were a small amount of places that were word of mouth only, probably more that I never heard of. I find it hard to believe that running them is a net cash positive endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (http://tapatalk.com/m?id=1)