PDA

View Full Version : SOBO from NY/CT

goin'4ahike
02-08-2014, 17:59
Looking for opinions, insight, comments, advice regarding a plan to start SOBO at AT train station, NY, to Springer...then flipping back to NY for NOBO to Kahtahdin (starting March or April). Is this a good plan for avoiding crowds and avoiding extremes in weather? Thank you.

LIhikers
02-08-2014, 18:08
Depending on your exact start date it might get you to Vermont during mud season. The Green Mountain Club generally asks that you stay off the trails until after Memorial Day.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2014, 18:13
It's a good plan for avoiding crowds and for hiking in really crappy weather.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2014, 18:17
Depending on your exact start date it might get you to Vermont during mud season. The Green Mountain Club generally asks that you stay off the trails until after Memorial Day.

I belive the OP would be hiking south initally. I hope the plan is not being considered for this year, considering all storms which NY and NJ have gotten so far.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2014, 18:26
Check out the alternative itineraries on the ATC when and where to start page http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

LIhikers
02-08-2014, 18:35
I belive the OP would be hiking south initally. .

Yep, my bad

goin'4ahike
02-08-2014, 18:51
No, not for this year.
I thought this may be a good plan for several reasons: starting on relatively easier terrain (mid-Atlantic region) rather than an end (GA or ME); hiking in higher elevations rather than the flatter mid-Atlantic during most of summer, avoid heavy crowds particularly through GSMNP, avoiding spring snow storms in GA mountains, ease of access from home (PA) to AT train station, finish through New England...Kahtahdin. Finishing on Kahtahdin is a priority for me. Trying to figure how to do that without doing a traditional NOBO GA-->ME. Any guidance is appreciated. Thank you!

goin'4ahike
02-08-2014, 19:08
Check out the alternative itineraries on the ATC when and where to start page http://www.appalachiantrail.org/hiking/thru-section-hiking/when-where-to-start

Thanks, 4eh, I did read there...and what got me thinking on how to customize trip.