PDA

View Full Version : Frying pan ideas

bert304
02-08-2014, 19:53
I am looking for opinions on frying pans. I am looking for a durable Teflon coated pan.

4eyedbuzzard
02-08-2014, 20:57
Durable tends to be heavy, thicker metal, thicker coating etc. I have a really cheap, thin, and light non-stick frying pan, 8" at top - 6" at bottom, that weighs 4 oz plus a 1 oz handle that cost $6 or $7 I think from Walmart. If I scratch or ruin it I'll just get another one. I've honestly only used it a couple of times though on backcountry fishing trips.

Tuckahoe
02-08-2014, 21:01
http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-A8570084-Specialty-Nonstick-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG14Q

T-Fal One Egg Wonder fry pan... perfect size and fairly light.

DocMahns
02-08-2014, 21:12
a sheet of aluminum foil works pretty good. I've fried fish, potatoes, onions, etc. with it. Although you'd have to pack out the foil waste, you could look into hobo dinners.

Slo-go'en
02-08-2014, 22:11
http://www.amazon.com/T-fal-A8570084-Specialty-Nonstick-Dishwasher/dp/B000GWG14Q

T-Fal One Egg Wonder fry pan... perfect size and fairly light.

I'm pretty sure Walmart sells that pan or one like it. I took the handle off one and removed about 1/2 of the side of the pan with a hacksaw. Man, that was a lot of work and in retrospect, not worth the effort. Good for a weekend hike if your not going too far, but a bit much for a longer hike.

squeezebox
02-08-2014, 22:32
I've been thinking about doing more poaching than real frying, the lid to my cook set real good for poaching not much for real frying. let the water boil off at the end and put a fried skin on the finish.

Rocket Jones
02-08-2014, 22:38
Check your local dollar store. I found a lightweight frying pan there. Took off the handle but put it back on since I only use it for weekend trips where I'm not quite as weight conscious as longer trips.

squeezebox
02-08-2014, 22:47
recently found at Walmart a 4" x 4" square cast iron skillet. great for 1 egg , 1 burger, cooking down some onion. cast iron still heavy, won't go on hiking trips. but still cute and handy at home.

If it sounds good !! Squeeze it !!

Tuckahoe
02-08-2014, 22:57
http://www.walmart.com/ip/T-Fal-Easy-Care-Food-Solutions-One-Egg-Wonder-Red/20704195

Wal-mart carries the One Egg Wonder as well.

squeezebox
02-09-2014, 00:26
could cut the height down to 1/2 in on the table saw, cut down and drill out the handle. cut the wt. to 1/2 . Geez 1 other crazy worthy thing to carry.

If it sounds good !! Squeeze it !!

4eyedbuzzard
02-09-2014, 00:47
I've been thinking about doing more poaching than real frying, the lid to my cook set real good for poaching not much for real frying. let the water boil off at the end and put a fried skin on the finish.

The handle on the wm pan i bought weighed 1 oz (pan itself weighs 4) but i broke it. I just user one of those gripper types on it now, same weight.

wnderer
02-09-2014, 11:37
The Trangia frying pan is the lid to the pot. I've never tried using it as a frying pan. I would like to figure out how to hold the lid and pot together with a handle so I could shake it and make popcorn. But anyway you might want to look at the frying pans you are considering to see whether they will also work as your pot lid.

DeerPath
02-09-2014, 12:40
I am looking for opinions on frying pans. I am looking for a durable Teflon coated pan.

I use JetBoils fry pan. http://shop.jetboil.com/index.php/fry-pan.html Heats fast and even using canister or alcohol and is easy to clean.
Happy Trails

Siarl
02-09-2014, 15:04
I have not researched this yet but here is an idea that I'm going to throw out there. I don't know the answer yet but I will be looking for the same solution that you are looking for. A light but good frying pan or similar article to use on my thru hike. Have you ever heard of a comal? Normally they are flat and are used in Mexican and throughout Central and South America. I lived in Honduras for awhile. A comal is normally a flat frying pan of sorts. It is used most of the time to heat up or cook tortillas. It usually has a handle as well. I use one and it is cast iron but a friend of mine uses one that is light and essentially made of steel I think. My cast iron one has a slight rise on the edge and it's why I have used it for grilled cheese, a scrambled egg, roasting peppers and jalapenos etc., as well as for the heating of my tortillas. I'm going to look around and see if I can find one that is lightweight enough to take on the trail. If I find one I will post a link here on this post. Good luck.

bert304
02-09-2014, 16:25
I was on Amazon today and I ran across this frying pan:
http://www.amazon.com/GSI-Outdoors-Bugaboo-8-Inch-Frypan/dp/B0018BK7T4/ref=sr_1_1?s=sporting-goods&ie=UTF8&qid=1391977319&sr=1-1&keywords=gsi+frying+pan
has anyone used this frying pan? I am also looking at the Jetboil frying pan, seems nice but is it worth the price tag?

Theosus
02-09-2014, 17:55
My kid had a toy kitchen with a little steel frying pan. When she got too old for it, I sold the kitchen but kept the little pan and broke off the handle. It's about 6" with a nice side to it.

illabelle
02-09-2014, 17:56
We own a backpacking fry pan with a folding handle. It weighs about 10 or 12 ounces. It's thin, and doesn't hold much.
I carry an ordinary fry pan (small). We removed the handle. It weighs slightly less than the other. The bottom is thick (less scorching, more even cooking), and holds almost twice as much.
I like having a fry pan for more varied meal options. If I hiked alone, I probably would not carry it.

Siarl
02-10-2014, 01:27
Below is the link to the item I mentioned, the Comal, listed on Amazon. I've ordered it. It is 2lbs versus the 5 lbs for the others that I saw listed through out the web. I have tried to find one that is non coated but I have not been able to find a small one that is non coated. I just don't like the non stick coating since it can become scratched in transit during the hike.

http://www.amazon.com/Imusa-Cast-Aluminum-Comal-Nonstick/dp/B00164T31G/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1392009813&sr=8-3-fkmr1&keywords=imusa+9+round+comal+carbon+steel

SunnyWalker
02-10-2014, 11:49
Bert: Check out what REI.Con offers. Also Campmoor, Sierra, etc.

GSI makes some good pots and stuff for hikers. Check them out.