PDA

View Full Version : Best single wall shelter that uses trekking poles?

saltysack
02-09-2014, 10:23
Thinking of upgrading my tent. Currently have an Easton kilo 2 person that I like but looking to shave some weight and not fool w tent poles..needs to be fairly roomy as I usually hike with my lil jack Russell and plan to start taking my 7 year old son. I want a solid shelter that keeps elements out as well as bugs. I mostly hike the southern Appalachians but plan to hike the jmt later in year. Any reccs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slbirdnerd
02-09-2014, 10:51
I don't have one (yet) but a fellow hiker had a Tarp Tent Notch on a hike in the snow last month. I was really impressed with it.

poopsy
02-09-2014, 10:54
Tarp Tent and LightHeart Gear are both recommended.

saltysack
02-09-2014, 10:57
I had read about tarp tents leaking...can't remember model

michaelosborne
02-09-2014, 10:59
Check out Zpacks that have some really light/roomy tents.

RedBeerd
02-09-2014, 11:10
I've been digging my TT contrail. Quite roomy! Its only seen the backyard but I like the simplicity and weight of it. Pretty cheap too so if it ends up not working out it will be a great backup tent.
But I researched for many hours to decide the contrail is what I wanted. Comes down to preference. You'll get a million different answers

Odd Man Out
02-09-2014, 11:11
Tarp Tent, Six Moon Designs, Zpacks, Mountain Laurel Design, and LightHeart Gear all get a lot of discussion around here. There are others too. On the continuous spectrum of tarp-tentness, some are more tarp-like and some are more tent-like. Some are heavier and some are lighter. Some are less expensive and some are more expensive. There are many variables and everyone's situation is different so there isn't such a thing as a "best" tent.

I spent a long time agonizing over this exact same issue, wanting to get the best option for me. I search every web site and read every review. Every time I decided on my choice, a few days later, I changed my mind and started the process over. Ultimately I realized that my quest for the best tent was causing me to not get any tent, which was ironically the worst possible outcome. I decided that getting info and reviews on-line can only go so far and the only way to know for sure is to get out there and backpack with it, and that I knew enough to get something that (if not "best") was certainly going to be good enough. So I got myself a SMD Skyscape Trekker, but won't been able to try it out until our three feet of snow melts.

Weather-man
02-09-2014, 11:26

Salty, thanks again for the info on Roan.

I have to second the greatness of Zpack shelters. I used the solo during a 2 week section hike last year and then ended up selling it as it was a little tight for me. The Solo-plus looks about perfect. I actually have a solo-plus tarp on order which I plan on using for a GSMNP section in a month or two. I figure that being that I'll end up sheltering I'll only need a back up. The solo-plus is at around 6oz with stakes. Scary light.

If I like it and it seems the right size I may ask Joe to sew in a bug net or maybe just buy the bug shelter so I have flexibility in terms of capabilities and weight. Anyways, I can't say enough good things about Zpack gear.

mason_u
02-09-2014, 11:37
I have the mountain laurel design patrol shelter which is much roomier than I expected and designed very well to give you the best chances against the elements and as for leaking, I have yet to try it in rain but I plan on seam sealing it over again and hoping I don't run into that problem

winger
02-09-2014, 11:38
Either a Tarptent (I have a Scarp 1 and a Contrail) or for more room for your dog a MLD Duomid with inner net (either the solo inner net or the duo). I recently purchased a MLD Cricket and really looking forward to using it this Spring and Summer, going to use the Bear Paw solo inner net with it. The Cricket would be too small though I think for you and your dog.

q-tip
02-09-2014, 11:39
TT Contrail-1, 000 + miles and still going strong!!!!!!!

Chubbs4U
02-09-2014, 11:41
Im sure if you search the forums you will find what your looking for.

RedBeerd
02-09-2014, 11:53
I've been digging my TT contrail. Quite roomy! Its only seen the backyard but I like the simplicity and weight of it. Pretty cheap too so if it ends up not working out it will be a great backup tent.
But I researched for many hours to decide the contrail is what I wanted. Comes down to preference. You'll get a million different answers

lonehiker
02-09-2014, 12:00
Tarp Tent and LightHeart Gear are both recommended.

LightHeart tents aren't single-wall.

saltysack
02-09-2014, 12:11
Let me be clearer... I'm not interested in the separate bug net idea.. Want a single shelter that breathes well...

DeerPath
02-09-2014, 12:31

Ditto.. I have ZPacks Solo Plus and love it.

10-K
02-09-2014, 12:34
Got a Contrail last month and have used it once. Sets up fast, roomy, only 4 stakes.

Even better, it only uses 1 trekking pole.

bfayer
02-09-2014, 12:37
With a dog I highly recommend that you stay away from net floors and cuben fiber. With a small child you need as much protection from wind and rain as possible.

With those two things in mind, I recommend either an HS Tarptent, or a Lightheart. I have both. I do have to say I am more partial to the Lightheart. It has a higher bathtub floor, better views in nice weather, and closes up better in bad weather.

My tarptent Rainshadow II is a virtual palace (size wise) and still weighs less than most two person tents. It sets up a little easier than the Lightheart, but it does not close up as tight in bad weather, so you need to be a little pickier about the direction of the weather when you set it up. The Lightheart is more symmetrical, so it's a little more forgiving in that respect.

I am not knocking the other recommendations, I just don't think they are ideal for your situation. Although most of the small cottage companies will probably do something custom for you, there are costs involved.

Good luck in your search.

Theosus
02-09-2014, 17:50
Friend of mine has used a tarp tent contrail for three years and over half the AT. Still uses it with no complaints

Venchka
02-09-2014, 19:27
Let me be clearer... I'm not interested in the separate bug net idea.. Want a single shelter that breathes well...

When you find that tent, patent it. You'll make a fortune.
In the meantime, look at total protected real estate per pound. Space to weight ratio. For those times when you are weather bound and you need to keep you, the kid, the dog & your gear dry. Floors that taper in all directions aren't space efficient. Vestibules barely big enough to keep a pair of boots dry won't do.
TarpTent StratoSpire 1 for you and the dog.
TarpTent StratoSpire 2 for all 3 of you.
Good luck!

Wayne

bfayer
02-09-2014, 19:30
Friend of mine has used a tarp tent contrail for three years and over half the AT. Still uses it with no complaints

With a dog and a Kid?

chall
02-10-2014, 13:13
Check out the Lightheart Gear Solong 6. 1+ person shelter that can easily fit two people. It's a hybrid single/double wall tent with top vents. Under 2lbs. I just got one, but haven't been able to set it up yet. Check it out: http://www.lightheartgear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=42

Damn Yankee
02-10-2014, 13:48
I don't know if anyone has mentioned it yet but, the Nemo tents are awesome and if you contact them direct, you may get great deals on last years models or displays.

4eyedbuzzard
02-10-2014, 15:06
Do you mean a single wall tent that breathes? Or one that is well ventilated? Because the only single wall shelter that is ventilated really well is called a tarp. There are a few manufacturers (Nemo, Bibler, ?) using "waterproof breathable" fabrics on their tent walls, but WB fabrics tend to be heavy and not truly waterproof. Tarptent and other manufacturers (Lightheart, et al) use a mix of netting and single wall to achieve reasonable ventilation. Good luck in your search.

LAF
02-10-2014, 16:20
I've got the ZPacks Duo - extra roomy for one and mine weighs in at 21 oz w/ stakes and the stuff sack that came with it

fertilizer
02-10-2014, 17:17
You have to seam seal the tarp tents. If done incorrectly, it will leak. Instructions are included with your tent. BTW, I have a Stratospire 1. It is double wall (the inside wall is bug netting) but you can remove it and make it single wall. My 95lb German Sheppard mix and I have no trouble sleeping under it.

jackietreehorn
02-10-2014, 22:03
this golite is on sale. http://www.golite.com/Shangri-La-2-Tarp-P47002.aspx

Damn Yankee
02-11-2014, 13:33
I'm one of those odd people who have to have a floor under me. I hate bugs in the middle of the night, while I'm trying to sleep

Drybones
02-11-2014, 13:54
Got a Contrail last month and have used it once. Sets up fast, roomy, only 4 stakes.

Even better, it only uses 1 trekking pole.

I bought a TT Double Rainbow a couple of years back for me and the pup, if I had it to do over I'd go with the Contrail.

Slosteppin
02-11-2014, 21:11
I have and used a Tarptent Double Rainbow for about four years. I've been using a Lightheartgear Solo Wedge for the last year. Eventually I will get the LHG Solong.
I have been out in a few severe rainstorms with each tent. With the DR I got a fine spray or mist through the tent in a hard storm. Enough that my quilt felt wet on top.
That did not happen with the LHG Solo. LHG uses a more nearly waterproof sylnylon.

QiWiz
02-14-2014, 16:00
If you can afford cuben, try a Zpacks Hexamid regular or oversized model. Love mine.

RED-DOG
02-14-2014, 16:10
Check out the Duplex tent by Z-packs it's made from Cuben Fiber, it's a 2 person with a full bath tube floor, full bug net, 2 side doors one on each side, so you don't have to crawl over the other person to get out and 2 full vestibules, it takes 2 treking poles to set up, and weighs 2lbs or maybe a little less.

bamboo bob
02-14-2014, 18:07
My wife and I have been using the LH Solong 6 , room enough for two. But must squueze in gear etc, its a one persn tent really. Comes seem sealed if you pay extra. But I did because I like to be dry.

I've gone through many, many others and this is my favorite.

LAF
02-14-2014, 18:11
Check out the Duplex tent by Z-packs it's made from Cuben Fiber, it's a 2 person with a full bath tube floor, full bug net, 2 side doors one on each side, so you don't have to crawl over the other person to get out and 2 full vestibules, it takes 2 treking poles to set up, and weighs 2lbs or maybe a little less.

I've got the Hexamid duplex - it weighs in at 21.5 oz with buyout stakes and cuben fiber stuff sack (came with the tent). I debated w/myself about getting the solo plus: figured the difference in wt from the solo plus vs. the added space, I like my space so the additional 4 oz was worth it.

SunnyWalker
02-15-2014, 10:29
Salty, check out tents offered at Six Moon Designs. Any of them any backpacker would probably love to have.

slovakiasteph
02-15-2014, 11:34
I have a Lightheart Gear Duo I've used backpacking and car camping. Does well in the rain, and I should think there would be room for an adult, boy, and dog.

RED-DOG
02-15-2014, 14:02
I've got the Hexamid duplex - it weighs in at 21.5 oz with buyout stakes and cuben fiber stuff sack (came with the tent). I debated w/myself about getting the solo plus: figured the difference in wt from the solo plus vs. the added space, I like my space so the additional 4 oz was worth it.
Yes I plan to use the Solo Plus on my 2015 PCT thru.

saltysack
02-16-2014, 21:53
Thx all for input.. I'm not a huge fan of cuben fiber. I have a cuben food bag and seems to wear fairly quick .. With a dog and kid think ill stick w sil nylon...leaning to one of the SMD or lHG shelters however they are not much if any lighter than my Easton kilo 2p

bfayer
02-16-2014, 22:23
Thx all for input.. I'm not a huge fan of cuben fiber. I have a cuben food bag and seems to wear fairly quick .. With a dog and kid think ill stick w sil nylon...leaning to one of the SMD or lHG shelters however they are not much if any lighter than my Easton kilo 2p

I think you will find the the lightheart duo to be much larger in usable space than the easton.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk