PDA

View Full Version : Pennsylvania or Virginia in the Fall?

johnnyjohnson2043
02-09-2014, 11:15
So I just realized that it's been a while since I've visited my family in the DC area and figured I could easily kill two birds with one stone by also getting back up to the AT this fall! I should be able to squeeze in a three or four day hike in that area sometime in September. Any suggestions? Something not too crowded preferably. I'm thinking something in Pennsylvania or Virginia within an relatively easy drive from the DC area. Thanks!

johnnybgood
02-09-2014, 12:00
I'd hike the Pedlar District along the Blue Ridge Mountains of Va. Not nearly as crowded with tourists as SNP in the Fall.
Get shuttled to Long Mountain Wayside near Buena Vista and hike north to Rockfish Gap . Leave your car at the Inn at Afton, just register at the desk by filling out a waiver form with your itinerary.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 12:39
Easy and wonderful would be HF to Pine Grove Furnace SP. HF is very easy to get to from DC....the distance is about 82 miles, and the terrain is the easiest on the trail. This area was Snacktime's and my favorite!

johnnyjohnson2043
02-09-2014, 12:52
Both of those look good! I'll check them out! What about Front Royal to Harper's Ferry?

johnnybgood
02-09-2014, 13:24
Both of those look good! I'll check them out! What about Front Royal to Harper's Ferry?

I did this in 5 days but it can be done in 4 if you put in the hours . Laurel at Tea Horse can shuttle you to Front Royal. If you want a real treat , spend the night and take in Laurel's breakfast special. Have a great hike.

Deer Hunter
02-09-2014, 15:26
I'd hike the Pedlar District along the Blue Ridge Mountains of Va. Not nearly as crowded with tourists as SNP in the Fall.
Get shuttled to Long Mountain Wayside near Buena Vista and hike north to Rockfish Gap . Leave your car at the Inn at Afton, just register at the desk by filling out a waiver form with your itinerary.

Jonny, if you choose this option, I might be able to help with this.

johnnyjohnson2043
02-09-2014, 15:47
Thanks! I'll have to dig out my data book and look at that route! I have family that lives just outside of DC so I'm thinking about flying into Reagan and having them drop me off at the trail. I'll let you know, though!

Deer Hunter
02-09-2014, 16:04
Ok, pm me if you need help.

fredmugs
02-09-2014, 17:11
If you're not stuck to Sept I highly recommended waiting until Oct and doing the stretch that includes Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob. I hit both of those spots when the fall colors were at their peak and it's my favorite AT section hike by a lot.

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 17:16
If you're not stuck to Sept I highly recommended waiting until Oct and doing the stretch that includes Tinker Cliffs and McAfee Knob. I hit both of those spots when the fall colors were at their peak and it's my favorite AT section hike by a lot.

+++++++++ 1 You will love that section!

johnnyjohnson2043
02-09-2014, 17:37

I had thought about waiting until October but I wasn't sure what the weather would be like up that way. Any thoughts on this? Last time I was on the AT was Georgia in April and the nights were still down in the 30's. Is that the type of weather I should expect that time of year in Virginia?

redseal
02-09-2014, 18:53
I did sections of both PA and VA in October. The temps got a little chilly when it rained, otherwise it was great.

daimonpaul
02-09-2014, 20:07
The foliage through the central to northern part of Pa, where there are a lot of overlooks, is typically really great in the 2nd and 3rd weeks of October. If you're doing a four day hike, you could do Port Clinton to Wind Gap, about 60 miles. Along the way you'll get in three of the better views in the state, The Pinnacle, Pulpit Rock and Bake Oven Knob.

If you only have two or three days you could do Boiling Springs to Duncannon, about 27 miles. You'll get in both of Pa's AT Communities and right before Duncannon is Hawk Rock, also a top view in the state. Also a lot less rocks in this section.