PDA

View Full Version : A Rock and a Hard Place....

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 11:40
Having my morning coffee and this made me wonder....ever had one of these predicaments on the trail?

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/7789_10201540798029260_1072566643_n.jpg

bfayer
02-09-2014, 12:53
Not on the AT, but up in Alaska the snow bank next to a river collapsed and dropped me into the river. I was standing in 3 feet of ice cold water, and couldn't climb up the 8 foot snow cliff along the bank. The other side of the river had an easy way out, but I would have had to cross the fast moving river and the water was much deeper in the center than in along the bank. Then I would have been stuck, cold, and wet on the wrong side of the river.

The guy I was with was laughing is butt off and all he could say was "Man you are so scr**ed". After he finished laughing, he realized I really was kind of scr**ed. It took a while but between his gear and mine we were able to tie together enough stuff and get me pulled out.

I felt just like your fish.

Dogwood
02-09-2014, 15:46
I don't allow myself to stay screwed for too long. I start brainstorming for ways to get unscrewed. If I was one of those fish I'd be asking where the toilet was. Then I'd go from being screwed to in the shart but at least it would keep me alive a little longer until I could brainstorm up another way to get out of the shart. Where's the sink? How can I get the water turned on? Is that a swimming pool outside? How far is the river?:)

HooKooDooKu
02-09-2014, 15:48
Closest I've been was a trip in GSMNP this past November. I had stopped to try to clear the path of a tree branch that had fallen. In the process of sawing thru a few limbs, my tent slipped out of the straps holding it to my pack. It went sliding down the hill by the trail that was on a 45 degree slope. So my choices were to either lose my tent (and spend that night under the stars), or risk climbing down the 45 degree slope to retrieve the tent. (Carefully using some utility cord, I managed to carefully climb down the hill and retrieve the tent).

Astro
02-09-2014, 15:55
Closest I've been was a trip in GSMNP this past November. I had stopped to try to clear the path of a tree branch that had fallen. In the process of sawing thru a few limbs, my tent slipped out of the straps holding it to my pack. It went sliding down the hill by the trail that was on a 45 degree slope. So my choices were to either lose my tent (and spend that night under the stars), or risk climbing down the 45 degree slope to retrieve the tent. (Carefully using some utility cord, I managed to carefully climb down the hill and retrieve the tent).

Just be thankful it was not 90 degree. :)

1azarus
02-09-2014, 15:56
yup. lost because of Sandy blowdowns on the top of killington. after dark. snow on the ground. roamed around until i finally found a section of blue blaze trail so i figured i was fine, just like those goldfish. then couldn't follow the trail either way because the blowdowns were so bad and the undergrowth so thick. (happy ending, and a story to tell!) and hello teacher and snacktime.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 16:02
Hello 1azarus.....and it seems to me that recently you were on the viewing end of one of these scenerios...in the dark in Harriman Park. (But we weren't actually lost).

1azarus
02-09-2014, 16:04
Hello 1azarus.....and it seems to me that recently you were on the viewing end of one of these scenerios...in the dark in Harriman Park. (But we weren't actually lost).
ummmm. yes, but i wasn't going to bring that up!!!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-09-2014, 16:27
No need for tact! :datz

Another Kevin
02-10-2014, 22:47
Hey, Teacher, since you learned from it, and since you're getting back on the horse, it's all good. Really. Enough with the :datzalready!

(In a big group is the best time to get close to being in trouble: you've got a lot of people to get you out of it.)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 22:51
Oh, it was only a symbolic :datz for the sake of humor. I'm over it. Planning the next batch of mistakes.....I mean WONDERFUL ADVENTURES as we speak!

Foresight
02-10-2014, 22:57
Did you buy that mug in Cleveland?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 23:05
No, but I bought the fishbowl there....and filled it with water from the Cuyahoga River!

scudder
02-10-2014, 23:28
sometimes those sveas are tricky!

Sierra2015
02-11-2014, 00:31
Here in Southern California we have these seasonal devil winds that blow in and stirs the world up. Sometimes there's smoke in the wind and ash comes down like rain, but other times the winds bring a crisp, sweet smelling air.

I used to have a half lease on a quarter horse that happened to be a quarter thoroughbred, a quarter draft, and a quarter Appaloosa. She's a smart, obedient mare who's just looking to please. But the Santa Ana winds drives people and animals alike wild.

When I arrived at the ranch I could tell it wasn't the best day for heading out on the trail. Dust was kicking up and old sage brushes were rolling by and piling high near my tack room. My partner wanted to go out and she said it wouldn't be too bad, we'd just turn the horses out and let them buck off all that extra energy the winds imbue. I agreed easily enough, I had made a long drive to get there and I figured I might as well get my money's worth.

We let them buck, saddled them, and hit the trail with the dogs leading the way. Their noses turned up to smell the open desert and dry winds welcoming them.

The first hour went well but everyone was thirsty and tired of the sun. So we headed down to the wash to wade the horses through the creek and let the dogs cool down. My partner and I decided we liked the shade the waving trees offered us. So we rode off to a nearby trail we knew of. It skirts the edges of the wash and is in the shadow of the 210 freeway. A tangle of trees on one side and a huge, sloping concrete embankment on the other. Sounds of the freeway muffles conversation until we can head back into the trees, but the end of the trail is well worth it.

It's a narrow trail and the dirt runs into the concrete and sometimes you can hear the metallic scrape of a shod hoof hit the manmade rock. The trail made more uncomfortable by our wind nervous horses. No biggie, it's a short detour.

I was following too close to my riding partner when she and her horse suddenly balked and started backing up into mine. My horse reared and hers bucked. Mine side stepped and hit the trees on one side and then flinched away from the clawing branches and backed up the slippery concrete slope. I yelled at first with surprise and then with earnest, "Go forward! You got to go!!"

My partner yelled back over her shoulder, "I can't! The trail's blocked! There's a tree down!"

I yelled, "Oh ****!" As my horse frantically scrabbled back, seeking purchase. Scary scrapes audible over the roaring freeway. I could feel her slipping and then stepping further back up the embankment and away from my partner's equally upset horse. I yelled again, "Get out of my way!" I turned my horse's head and let up on the reins I had previously held too tight. The mare slipped and scrabbled her way down, bumping the other horse forward and dragging me painfully through the branches.

We were facing the right way. Thank god.

My riding partner had to back her horse out. Not enough room for a horse to turn around without tap dancing over the dangerous concrete.

I dismounted and walked back that path afterward. I wanted see why my partner couldn't have just gone around the fallen tree. I walked along the concrete edge and when I reached the turn that caused all that trouble I saw a granddaddy of a tree in the path. Blown down by the winds.

Foresight
02-11-2014, 01:17
I'm dying to ask you to define "partner", but I know Mom will find this thread and cuff me upside the back of the head.....:D

Sierra2015
02-11-2014, 01:22
Don't get too excited! She's just my riding partner.... HORSEback riding. Not really a friend but not a stranger either.

(I'm kinda embarrassed at how much I wrote. I didn't realize how much space it took!)

Foresight
02-11-2014, 01:34
Dangit! Hahahahaha

bfayer
02-11-2014, 07:43
No, but I bought the fishbowl there....and filled it with water from the Cuyahoga River!

LOL, I'm from Michigan and old enough to get your joke :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-11-2014, 10:36
Don't get too excited! She's just my riding partner.... HORSEback riding. Not really a friend but not a stranger either.

(I'm kinda embarrassed at how much I wrote. I didn't realize how much space it took!)

Good Story....who cares how much room it took.

HikerMom58
02-11-2014, 10:36
I'm dying to ask you to define "partner", but I know Mom will find this thread and cuff me upside the back of the head.....:D

So silly you are Foresight! :D

HikerMom58
02-11-2014, 10:37
Good Story....who cares how much room it took.

She's a really good writer! :banana It was great! Thanks for sharing Sierra! :0)

Sierra2015
02-11-2014, 12:34
Thanks guys.... :)

I feel very stupid and shy because I read over it and there's soooo many mistakes! I'm a terrible editor and a horrible speller and despite the fact English is my first language I can't seem to get tenses correct and cohesive.

But I really appreciate the kind words. Thanks. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-11-2014, 12:42
I don't have my red pen handy, so I wouldn't worry about it too much :)

Rolls Kanardly
02-11-2014, 13:20
When telling friends (WB's) about things in your life, I would think content is more important than form. And besides when you think about it, we are kinda talking to each other long distance and I do not think anyone has ever spoken to me and spelled a word wrong or forgotten punctuation. yuk yuk Rolls

bfayer
02-11-2014, 14:43
Sierra2015, I would rather read long posts that actually say something, than most of the short throw away one liners that most post on here. Mistakes or no mistakes, you write better than the average WBer that posts on here (myself included).

Foresight
02-11-2014, 18:00
Toldjaso.....