PDA

View Full Version : 2014 AT thru hike gear video

Subie Love
02-09-2014, 20:51
Hello everyone! Just wanted to post a video going over all the gear I'll be taking on my thru hike. I'll be doing updates from the trail and keeping a vlog on youtube so if you'd like, subscribe to my channel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBpj_TZ6xs

slbirdnerd
02-09-2014, 21:10
Enjoyed your gear video, looks like you've made a lot of really great choices! Have a great hike!

Subie Love
02-09-2014, 21:18
Thank you, I can't wait!

Sierra2015
02-09-2014, 22:11
Could you explain your quilt more??

Will a quilt really work down to zero temperatures like you said?

Also... where's your pad? Did I miss it?

michaelosborne
02-09-2014, 22:37

I think he was using the NeoAir XLite

Subie Love
02-09-2014, 22:38

A quilt will definitely work just as well as a sleeping bag, it just doesn't surround your back. As long as your pad has a good R-value, you'll be fine. Also, my quilt is wide enough so I can tuck the sides in under me, it just doesn't completely surround me.

My pad was the neo-air X-lite. I only pulled it out and mentioned it quickly.

HikerMom58
02-09-2014, 22:42
I wish you the BEST! :) Looks like you are all set. :)

Sierra2015
02-09-2014, 22:48
How much did it cost you to make the quilt? What pattern did you use? Where did you get the feathers and how much of a... loft? did you allow for? (How many inches.) Where did you get the fabric too?

Subie Love
02-09-2014, 23:03
How much did it cost you to make the quilt? What pattern did you use? Where did you get the feathers and how much of a... loft? did you allow for? (How many inches.) Where did you get the fabric too?

I want to say it was about $150. I ordered the down from Feathered Friends. For the loft, I found a chart some where that showed how much loft you are going to need depending on the fillpower of down and how low you want it to be rated. The fabric I got from a random website I found. I searched for 1.1oz ripstop nylon and found a website that was selling it the cheapest. I can't find the same website I used to make the quit but if you do some searching around, there are really good sources for making one. Just search for DIY backpacking quilt and look around. Also, on youtube there are some good vids to make one.

Sierra2015
02-10-2014, 00:33
Love you Subie Love! Thanks for the help. :)

winger
02-10-2014, 10:57
Very well done.
I don't think you'll need two of the liter water bottles.
No electronic devices other than the camera? No TP?
I'd recommend some wool gloves.
Have a great hike (good idea of keeping the guide book intact, for journaling and prosperity).

Subie Love
02-10-2014, 11:09
Very well done.
I don't think you'll need two of the liter water bottles.
No electronic devices other than the camera? No TP?
I'd recommend some wool gloves.
Have a great hike (good idea of keeping the guide book intact, for journaling and prosperity).

My phone was actually sitting on the armrest during the whole video and I totally forgot to mention it. :p The phone and charger are both in my gear grams though.

I didn't pack TP for the video but I mentioned I will be adding it towards the end of the video. A few other things I forgot to mention that were in the hip pockets. I'm bringing a cuben fiber pouch for my wallet, ear plugs and a Moosejaw flag as well as a small American flag.

Austin 2014
02-10-2014, 11:12
Found that on YouTube last night! Can't resist a gear video.

Subie Love
02-10-2014, 11:57
Thanks for watching!

iamforest
02-12-2014, 00:16
Nice gear, good luck to you!
I am in Jacksonville as well still getting all my gear pieced together. I plan to do the AT in 2015.
How are you planning on getting to springer?

lonehiker
02-12-2014, 05:05
Quote: Will a quilt really work down to zero temperatures like you said?

He actually said that it was good down to freezing, not zero temps.

Sierra2015
02-12-2014, 12:11
Quote: Will a quilt really work down to zero temperatures like you said?

He actually said that it was good down to freezing, not zero temps.
For some odd reason I was talking about Celsius. O.o No idea why I did that!

Valley Girl
02-12-2014, 22:16
I enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing and see you on the trail.

Nonfiction
02-19-2014, 07:20
Good luck my friend & enjoy the hell out of it! I'm in the planning stages for a 2015 thru myself.

Subie Love
02-19-2014, 11:12
Nice gear, good luck to you!
I am in Jacksonville as well still getting all my gear pieced together. I plan to do the AT in 2015.
How are you planning on getting to springer?

Nice! I just moved here from Michigan. I'm taking a Greyhound to Gainesville, GA and I have a reservation at The Hiker Hostel. They are going to pick me up at the bus station, take me to the hostel and then take me to the approach trail in the morning. Pretty good deal!

For some odd reason I was talking about Celsius. O.o No idea why I did that! Doh! No worries. But yeah, I think zero degrees will be a little too cold for my current set up lol I'm hoping to be warm down to 25 or so. You definitely can make a quilt that will good down to zero degrees though. Just gotta stuff more down in there and make sure it has the room to loft. :)

I enjoyed your video. Thanks for sharing and see you on the trail. Thank you! Happy trails!

Good luck my friend & enjoy the hell out of it! I'm in the planning stages for a 2015 thru myself. Thanks man! Take your time and keep planning, it'll be worth it.

snail2010
02-19-2014, 12:20
Hello everyone! Just wanted to post a video going over all the gear I'll be taking on my thru hike. I'll be doing updates from the trail and keeping a vlog on youtube so if you'd like, subscribe to my channel. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PiBpj_TZ6xs

Great video! I am curious about the Cuban fiber rain gear. Have you actually used it while hiking in the rain or is it new to you?

Subie Love
02-19-2014, 12:33
The only thing I've used is the jacket. I haven't used the stuff sacks yet. The jacket worked out great so I imagine the pack cover/liner will work also.

RED-DOG
02-19-2014, 14:12
I noticed in most of the Gear videos i watched for 2014, most of the guys are going with Dirty Girl gaitors why?

Subie Love
02-19-2014, 14:19
I like them because they're light, a good price, they have funky designs and they work good.

snail2010
02-20-2014, 10:52
The only thing I've used is the jacket. I haven't used the stuff sacks yet. The jacket worked out great so I imagine the pack cover/liner will work also.
Sounds good. Maybe I'll switch out the marmot precip. Thanks for the response. Have a great hike!

Sara
02-20-2014, 14:18
I enjoyed your gear video Subie Love, I'm many of the same items in my pack.

Cuben fiber is the awesome.