PDA

View Full Version : Best Solar Charger

wornoutboots
02-09-2014, 20:55
I'm planning on taking a solar charger this year on my JMT hike, can anyone recommend a good one from personal experience. (sorry I'm sure it's been covered here, but I couldnt find it) Thanks

~boots~

10-K
02-09-2014, 21:01
You asked about personal experience and I don't have any but as this is WB I'll chime in anyway...

I bought a Suntactics sCharger-5 for my PCT hike - a bit pricey at $140 but solid reviews and I think this is one of those situations where price reflects quality based on what I've read.

One PCT hiker had a running dialogue with the engineer who designed it as she hiked the trail last year helping her find a good way to attach it to her pack.

http://www.amazon.com/Suntactics-sCharger-5-Performance-BlueTooth-Sunlight/dp/B003ZFQUWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1391993968&sr=8-1&keywords=suntactics+solar

10-K
02-09-2014, 21:04
..and it's made in the USA which I like.

MuddyWaters
02-09-2014, 22:15
What will you need to charge?
You dont need a constant GPS.
There is no cellular reception except in very few places, so keeping a phone on is useless

There is simply nothing you need a solar charger for. You can plug up at re-supplies for a couple hrs.

Unless you want to read and play games on your phone at night or something.

wornoutboots
02-10-2014, 00:36
Great point MW. Last year I used my I phone as a camera, journal & I-pod, but it malfunctioned where it wld not power off, so when I recharged it at TM, Reds & MTR and I walked out of those places at 100% battery, I'd wake up & only have 30% or so for the next 4-5 days & I missed a tremendous amount of great shots, it was really frustrating. I might just take a camera this year & leave the phone off the whole time.

wornoutboots
02-10-2014, 00:37
Oh & Thanks 10-K, I remember now that you & I talked about this last year.

Maui Rhino
02-10-2014, 06:59
I am planning to use my Goal Zero Nomad 7 paired with a Guide 10 charger and Motorola Power Pack Slim 4000 to keep my cell phone, camera, and headlamp charged on my JMT hike this summer. I will be bringing a separate camera because I anticipate taking lots of photos. I plan to use my cell phone mostly for recording an audio journal, music player, e-reader, and GPS/supplemental navigation tool (besides my paper maps). The cell phone also pairs with my Delorme InReach to check in with my family each night. I don't know that the GZ is the "Best", since it weighs about a pound, but it is what I have.

Starchild
02-10-2014, 09:53
Just to mention there are also new fuel cell devices and campfire to electrical power devices and I've seen one wind one, kinetic energy ones too along with simple battery packs. I don't know how they compare to solar for your needs but just wanted to mention there are other options that may be a better fit, or not.

SunnyWalker
02-10-2014, 11:46
I just bought a Bear Grylls Mini Solar Charger and it works great. Lightweight and really good!