PDA

View Full Version : Lateral Heel Blisters

UofWHusky
02-09-2014, 23:01
I hiked about 800 miles on the AT in 2013. Early on I got lateral blisters on both heels and they lasted until long after I left the trail. Thinking back I believe the outsides of my heels were rubbing the top edge of the insoles in my shoes. The shoes never felt loose. I wore Merrel Ventilator mids with Super feet green insoles and used Smart wool trekker weight socks. My pack weight varied between 30 and 40 pounds including food and water. I used body glide on my heels with no change in the blisters. Anyone else have similar problems? If you have experienced this condition have you had any luck in resolving the situation? Thanks.

lonehiker
02-10-2014, 01:16
Were the super feet cut too short so they slid forward or to long and had a "lip" in the heel? Would be my only thought. Try different shoes if that couldn't have been the issue.

Malto
02-10-2014, 08:38
I had a very nasty blister just as you described due to poorly fitted insoles in my LaSportivas. When I finally discovered the issue I found a raised area on the edge. A quick little v cut notch in the insole solved the problem. I ended up having that issue on three of the five pairs of those shoes. Run your finger around the edge and if you feel a bump trim it up. Good luck.

urbansix
02-10-2014, 08:54
I hiked about 800 miles on the AT in 2013. Early on I got lateral blisters on both heels and they lasted until long after I left the trail. Thinking back I believe the outsides of my heels were rubbing the top edge of the insoles in my shoes. The shoes never felt loose. I wore Merrel Ventilator mids with Super feet green insoles and used Smart wool trekker weight socks. My pack weight varied between 30 and 40 pounds including food and water. I used body glide on my heels with no change in the blisters. Anyone else have similar problems? If you have experienced this condition have you had any luck in resolving the situation? Thanks.

I wore Merrell Ventilators with the stock inserts, for a 300 mile BMT hike last summer. Got the same thing - edge of heel blisters along the joint of the insole/upper. Mostly on the inside (body centerline side) of each heel. Not very painful. I just kept them lanced and dry and duct-taped. By the end of the hike they had converted to callouses.

The previous year I wore Teva sandals with Ragg wool socks for a 100 mile hike, and had zero blisters on my feet. However, the heel strap started to irritate on one side, and while it never turned in to a blister, it became a painful sore spot - almost like a nerve that shot pain at the slightest touch. I had to remove the heel strap and wear it like a clog by the end of the hike. Which is a shame - hiking in sandals was otherwise the most problem free and flexible footware I've used on the trail.

Praha4
02-10-2014, 11:03
Try using a dimethicone based blister prevention salve/ointment such as Hydropel or Sportslick. You can also try taping the feet in the areas prone to blisters, using tape such as Kinesio-Tex or Leukotape. Old timers use duct-tape. I've used Leukotape and Kinesio-Tex for problem areas with success. Leukotape has a much stronger adhesive, will stick to your skin longer. You can also use the different blister band-aid products on the market such as Second Skin, then apply one of the above mentioned tapes over that to help it adhere. Other than that, you're using great inserts (Superfeet green) and merino wool socks. Good luck.

burger
02-10-2014, 15:18
I get really bad blisters or calluses on the sides of my feet. Two things have really helped me: 1) wide shoes. I only hike in 4E width shoes now (New Balance makes a bunch of trail runners and some boots in wide). And 2) Body Glide. Put it on at every break. Put it on your foot and on the inside of your sock. If you're weight-conscious, you don't need to carry the whole thing--just cut off a bit of the stuff and put it in a small ziploc bag. Turn the bag inside out and apply it that way.

Think about switching to trail runners and lighter socks, too. Thinner socks mean more room for your feet. Also, wool socks don't wick moisture as well as synthetic fabrics.

Good luck with it. Blisters suck.

rhjanes
02-10-2014, 17:21
I wear custom orthotics. the few times I've tried the OTC stuff, I get blisters you describe. I think for me it is the surface on the top of the insole.

Deacon
02-10-2014, 18:22
Try using a dimethicone based blister prevention salve/ointment such as Hydropel or Sportslick. You can also try taping the feet in the areas prone to blisters, using tape such as Kinesio-Tex or Leukotape. Old timers use duct-tape. I've used Leukotape and Kinesio-Tex for problem areas with success. Leukotape has a much stronger adhesive, will stick to your skin longer. You can also use the different blister band-aid products on the market such as Second Skin, then apply one of the above mentioned tapes over that to help it adhere. Other than that, you're using great inserts (Superfeet green) and merino wool socks. Good luck.

+1 for Leukotape. It just doesn't fall off even when your feet are soaked with sweat.

Rick Hancock
02-10-2014, 18:43
On occasion I get the same type of blister but mine is mostly like a blood blister under a callus. The outer edge of my trail runners wear out pretty fast and that's where they occur. Sounds like taking the right steps Body Glide, etc. I'd try thin socks that fit closer to your feet than a thick sock. i use Wright Socks and swear by them. They are a 2 layer sock and I use them down into temps in the low 30's. Also second trying to find a wider trail runner. I use Vasque Velocity or Vasque Opportunist but they've discontinued both of the models I like. New Balance makes a true wide. Nike I have to buy 1/2 to a full size larger. Check and see if your soles are worn down on the outer edge that could be causing the problem.

squeezebox
02-10-2014, 18:58
I'm not familiar with Leukotape. Just what is it ? where do I get it ?

Deacon
02-10-2014, 19:07
I'm not familiar with Leukotape. Just what is it ? where do I get it ?

Available on amazon. I'd give the link but it was way too big when I pasted it on this post.

Meriadoc
02-10-2014, 20:06
Blisters like that I have had from something in the shoe pinching the skin. That's just about the only blister I have had in the past 5 years too. I don't remember the exact circumstances but an ill fitting insole - particularly one that slid forward and left a gap - would do it.

UofWHusky
02-10-2014, 21:41
Thanks for all the feedback. I looked at my old shoes. The insoles don't move when in place so I believe they are the correct length. A close look at the soles reveals slightly more wear on the outside edge of each shoe. I suspect I weight the outside of the shoe more, possibly twisting my foot in the shoe so the heel slides over the outside edge of the heel cup in the SuperFeet causing the rubbing. The blister did turn to callus after 200 miles or so but it remained annoying the whole trip. I replaced the Merrells with Oboz Firebrand 2. The Oboz have a beefier sole so less twisting. I wore them on two short hikes and so far no problems.

Leanthree
02-11-2014, 00:02
Available on Amaon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000H94TAQ?cache=e031629fbda0b52df0e217b1d55ce474&pie=1#ref=mp_s_a_1_1&qid=1392073589&sr=8-1&pis=2268,/9j/4AAQSkZJRgABAQAAAQABAAD/2wBDAAoHBwgHBgoICAgLCgoLDhgQDg0NDh0VFhEYIx8lJCIfIi EmKzcvJik0KSEiMEExNDk7Pj4+JS5ESUM8SDc9Pjv/2wBDAQoLCw4NDhwQEBw7KCIoOzs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Oz s7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozs7Ozv/wAARCABZAG4DASIAAhEBAxEB/8QAGwAAAQUBAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAwABAgQFBgf/xAA5EAABBAECBAMFBQYHAAAAAAABAAIDEQQFEhMhMWEiQVEGMo Gh0RQVI0KRByRSU5LBYnFyg7Hh8P/EABoBAAIDAQEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAEEAAIDBQb/xAApEQACAgIBAgUDBQAAAAAAAAAAAQIRAwQSITEFE0FhgSIykR VRcaHR/9oADAMBAAIRAxEAPwD1G04KGCpArejCwgKcFDBUgUKDZO09qFp 7QohK0rTWlaASVpWo2mtElkrSTWlaBLJJJklCWUg5SDlXD1MOT DiYcgwcoy5AhIBjkdYvwscR8gohy47290772EUDHNbPEziQlxo OJJBaT5XQ59u9oLy1JLLLim6s2xxlkbUVbOybmNujHKP9t30UX 6pjREBwyOfpA8/8BeNQ4Gm47ImarlZOBOGeJgjfZO53PpVVtqu6M8aBxJOFreXG1 xJZQfTB5Cq5/r/31P02F/c3/CM+fsevN1fDd+aUf6oXj+ytMkD2hzbo9L814u7I03CzYmDXMzK hp5lLHPbtIadoB87Nc+y9Q9l5HP8AZnT3ue9xdCDb3***qUtta awxUk3T/dBU0za3JtyHuS3JGicgtpWhbu6fchROQW04KFuThylB5GWJFIS KiJlMTJ9wEuZeEiwNdhmy9VhigjL3mEch5eIrUEiuY8bL420b3 NDS7sCfqkdzW87HwfTqP6Oz5ORzS60YsPs7miINfnCMfwssj+y aX2dljYXy6gwMHVzxQHzXRBZuVPkykwvx9tOsOjLzfx2dOawho 4uyv8v/AEclv5m7dfhGN9y45JB1PBcQLNkLo8Vogw4ImvY4NjADmdD3Cy nPPul8rX+Y/FBI/p/98FomSmx9fcb1v07801DVjjdpv5bYrsbM8kalXwkizxEuIqhmD RbiAO6A7UGA01pd3C0ajHuxWEZ5PtVmlxE/EVCPLbJ0sH0KJxEVFSVorPlB1JUXBIpB9qkJERsndBwK8zAE3d TE6z99JuNXmuz5diHIvvyC8uha7Y40Wvvz9D9Vt6a9rMCITygS NFODneK+65PcJi4D3uXnyItbem63JiYWQJ4nzMx220M5ud/hHqeYSOzgkusX8HT15pxUa6m3x8f+a1MZoD0mZ/UuMm/avCH7MbR5ZD0p8oaf0AKUHt1rWYXfuEWE2xt3wueSOd0SWj0WM tPPCPKaSXu0MqSk6irOslGNI7xcGQkVzomll6lnMw4pHsApgAY B07LCys/X9VhlbFPmtuw3aWsaBz5+AHt+ZVnR5UOG6PKlMkrpdxJddA3y6 lWxxi06mm/br/ZXJifTkqV+oCbPyMiS5Z3l19d1BXcDVnRPEWQ7cw/mPULIlYRHI9p8TQCB5+dn5fNV8WeSWAPl22SaLeQLfL40qZMDc OY9DKlPgjuDLXNpVqLI3sBPXzWBp+XuwGl5stttq5h5XEMnoKW OtFqdGfiEYvDz9Ua4k7ojZFQbJaK2Q0n3A8+pGEShSXXJT3Jcl 1F0FrM/7TLiZHENujPJw8x3XQYMQ1HFmjhcPxmDxdtw5/osuSFsgohH0VztKnlczxxyNrYTW031WW3ijmxOPqxvW2PKmm/Q6GLQ9Ohja2Vpld6vkPP4XSsuwMdkdY0UcDvJzWfSj81ifb5jy D2xgdNjfraZ+XJJ78r3dtxr9Oi5MNBR7JIdyeIyl3bZpT4kcbN 0uUNx85aI+F8x5dCua1dwinHDk40e3m7n697V4yADkAP8ggva1 4IIu10cOLg/q6ic9ly7KjHMgI3xuIJHvNVKUNbI4sDRucXGhQ59VryafGC4xe Dd1roqGTp+ZX4TmHuQsZ602+MH0Ojj3sLXKXRj4krmxlgFlziQ FuYW2KENsFx5k91zuJo+QJuJM8ly6LGh4bQCbpMLVhhXe2JbW4 830rsXGlGa7kq4IU2upUaEbMfcnDlFJPUUCBykHIYUgg0QKHp9 yGOiQVaCE3JFyikhRBy5K1EpIgJgqYchBTCqwhA8hEa5ARGKjQ T/2Q==

So for those leukotape users, and sorry if this is a bit off topic, but do you all still carry duct tape for general random uses (things like pack repair, rain fly repair) or does leukotape work well for those things as well.

Basically, I use duct tape on blisters and better adhesive to skin would be a benefit, but I don't want to lose all the potential duct tape uses in a swap.

moytoy
02-11-2014, 07:29
I used to get those type of blisters all the time. I used Merrell hiking boots for years. Then tried hiking in other types of boots and got the same thing. I now use NB trail shoes and I've increased my shoe size by 1 full size. I use polly pro inserts and I have almost forgotten that blisters exist. I've changed so much in the footwear area I don't know for sure what fixed my blister problem. You may be able to do the same by experimenting with your footwear.

rhjanes
02-11-2014, 10:37
I need to wrap some of the Leukotape around one of my poles and see how it sticks. I like it a WHOLE lot better on skin. It also stays (for me) several days. I think I might put the leukotape on one hiking pole or around a water bottle, and the duct tape on the other pole.

AndrewAZ
02-11-2014, 12:42
I got similar blisters when I used green Superfeet insoles in my Inov-8 Roclites. I discovered it was because the Superfeet were taller than the factory insoles and made my feet rub against the back of the shoe in a way that didn't happen with the factory insoles. I gave up on the Superfeet and my feet have been much happier.

UofWHusky
04-16-2014, 13:34
I just bought a pair of Superfeet Copper insoles and was reading the info flyer in the box. The sizing directions said that if your heel doesn't fit inside the heel cup of the insole you should go up one letter size. I followed the advise and bought the next size up insole. Besides being longer, the heel cup is wider. Yes there was more to trim off the toe end, but my heels don't rub on the top edge of the heel cup. Still tying them out while walking around the neighborhood but this could be the long term solution to the problem I had last year. This also follows AndrewZ's comment about Superfeet being taller than the factory insoles.