PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a 3 day, 2 night loop

bad biscuit
02-10-2014, 10:22
I'm looking to do a 3 day, 2 night loop with a buddy in the next few months or in the fall. We are from North Alabama so looking for something closer to Birmingham.

I've spent quite a few days in the woods in challenging terrian such as the Walls of Jericho and the Sipsey Wilderness. I'm ok with 8-9 mile (maybe more) days if the elevation change isn't too tough, but would rather have an easier walk if possible and not wanting to carry gallons of water. I'm a hanger and he's a ground dweller.

Ideas? Suggestions?

bad biscuit
02-10-2014, 10:23
I forgot to add this is the first time on this trail for both of us.

blisterbob
02-10-2014, 11:50
With this map you can choose a loop near the Cheaha SP as short as 6 miles or as long as 40 if you do all the connecting trails.
http://jahudson.wiki.hoover.k12.al.us/Cheaha+Trail+Maps

bad biscuit
02-10-2014, 12:42
Thanks for the info! I'm interested in the Chinnabee/Skyway/Pinhoti Loop. I see that listed as 18.2 miles. Too tough for a 2 nighter? If we start at Turnipseed, is one way easier/more difficult? I have lots of info to sort through, but work calls....

Thanks again for your assistance!

marti038
02-10-2014, 12:55
I live in B'ham and I don't think you'll find anything worthy of a 3 day trip this far west. The mountains we have are covered in homes with the exception of Oak Mtn, but you certainly don't need 3 days to hike Oak Mtn.

blisterbob
02-10-2014, 13:05
Thanks for the info! I'm interested in the Chinnabee/Skyway/Pinhoti Loop. I see that listed as 18.2 miles. Too tough for a 2 nighter? If we start at Turnipseed, is one way easier/more difficult? I have lots of info to sort through, but work calls....

That loop is much easier going clockwise.
My wife and I did it in 2 days , 1 night with plenty of daylight left both days.

Matt65
02-11-2014, 00:34

The route I took here wasn't too bad. We completed it as a day hike. As a 1 or 2 nighter it would be more relaxing.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?100318-South-Cheaha-Wilderness-Loop-12-18-13

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

HooKooDooKu
02-11-2014, 01:01
The Great Smokey Mountains National Park isn't that far away. I live in the Birmingham area and it's only about a 6 hour drive. I regularly do 3 day, 2 night hikes up there.

The trick to hiking the GSMNP (at least on a regular basis) is to avoid driving up the day before and paying for a hotel room. All you have to do is be packed a day ahead of time, come home and rest/sleep as early as possible. Then leave between 10pm and 4am (depending upon how early you want to be at the trail head). On the tail end, I never have a problem getting out of the woods by 3 o'clock local time giving me enough time to be home by 9pm.

So if you don't mind the drive, there are all sorts of 2 night trips of various lengths the GSMNP has to offer.