PDA

View Full Version : Badger Sponsorship - $1,000 worth of gear!

Paragon
02-10-2014, 11:51
Hey everyone! I was selected to be one of the ten finalists for the 2014 Badger Sponsorship! (http://www.appalachiantrials.com/badger-sponsorship-2014/ (http://www.appalachiantrials.com/badger-sponsorship-2014/))I'm pretty new here, but I'm a long-time lurker! Anyway, the sponsorship is essentially a popularity contest! The winner is the one who receives the most Facebook 'Likes' on their respective post. If you're interested in the prizes that we can win, click the link above!

Moving on, I would love and could really use your 'Likes' to help me win this contest. My link is right here: http://www.appalachiantrials.com/mike-dale-wants-badger-sponsorship/ (http://www.appalachiantrials.com/mike-dale-wants-badger-sponsorship/?fb_action_ids=696426233712409&fb_action_types=og.likes&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%5B276588785829787%5D&action_type_map=%5B%22og.likes%22%5D&action_ref_map=%5B%5D)

Here is a link to the rest of the videos (You can vote more than once!): http://www.appalachiantrials.com/category/gear/badger-sponsorship-gear/ (http://www.appalachiantrials.com/category/gear/badger-sponsorship-gear/)

Thanks guys! I can't wait to see you all out on the trail!

canoe
02-10-2014, 11:53
We'll jump right on it

Paragon
02-10-2014, 11:56
Much appreciated!

Damn Yankee
02-10-2014, 13:54
Done. Good luck

Studlintsean
02-10-2014, 14:17
Done. Good Luck

Paragon
02-10-2014, 14:21
You guys are heroes. Thanks!

Hot Flash
02-10-2014, 14:29
You guys are heroes. Thanks!

The concept of what makes a hero has gone completely in the *****ter if clicking 'Like' on Facebook makes you a hero. :mad:

Lone Wolf
02-10-2014, 14:33
you need to keep this on facebook. doesn't belong here

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 14:41
Done....best of luck.

Paragon
02-10-2014, 14:46
The concept of what makes a hero has gone completely in the *****ter if clicking 'Like' on Facebook makes you a hero. :mad:
Sorry, poor word choice! Would 'Awesome' fit the bill?

Rain Man
02-11-2014, 01:39
If you had been a long-time contributor here, I might be more inclined to help you win $1,000.

I run across folks regularly here and who come to Meetup.com hiking groups, who only want to use the group, but not contribute to the group. Can't say I'm impressed when I see that attitude.

I would prefer that they earn their brownie points, that they treat the group as a two-way, rather than as a one-way, street, and only then cash in the brownie points they had banked. IMHO, of course.

Apologies if that sounds harsh.

Rain Man

Paul the Brit
02-11-2014, 02:33
Great way to encourage an 18 year old to become a life long hiker and member of the AT community! Maybe some people could learn from Badger and his wiliness to help introduce those young people into the fold and encourage instead of put barriers up.

Good luck Paragon and I'll be watching the videos!

Paragon
02-11-2014, 22:41
Great way to encourage an 18 year old to become a life long hiker and member of the AT community! Maybe some people could learn from Badger and his wiliness to help introduce those young people into the fold and encourage instead of put barriers up.

Good luck Paragon and I'll be watching the videos!

Thanks Paul! I've been a long time lurker, but haven't really found much to post about since I'm not an active hiker at the moment and haven't walked too much of the AT just yet! Badger seems to be a really nice dude and I look forward to blogging on his website! I'll make sure to put up a link to my blogs in the Class of 2014 subforum! I guess that counts as contributing, right? :)

Andrew Dale
02-12-2014, 13:06
Ok guys, as much hate as these other badger candidates have been getting, here I am. Now before you get all angry and say "You've been here for 5 minutes and posted 1 time", while that is true, does that really mean that someone doesn't want to hike a trail just as yourself?

Now that that's done with: I am not Mike Dale, the one who's page I would like you to vote for. It's my brother. I'm really trying to help him out here and I've been non-stop posting for him on pages, and currently he is in first. My brother has been dreaming of hiking this trail for the longest time. I really would appreciate it if you would drop him a like at his page.. He really wants to hike this trail and with this support I can guarantee you my brother will succeed. He is a hard worker and loves nothing more than the outdoors.

So I'm here posting for my brother, so give me hate instead of him.
Here's his link, and thank you guys.

http://www.appalachiantrials.com/mike-dale-wants-badger-sponsorship/

Also a here's his video if you want to watch it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LUTEJ_Ffjw

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 13:13
Is there a separate contest for guys and gals? I already voted for a gal. No hate.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 13:15
it's not about hate. those of us that thru-hiked saved our money and bought all our own gear for the trip. i don't understand all these kickstarter-type sponsorships and begging basically. i watched the video. he shouldn't promise folks that he'll complete the trail. a lot can happen, physically and mentally to keep him from the goal. just my opinion

Andrew Dale
02-12-2014, 13:28
it's not about hate. those of us that thru-hiked saved our money and bought all our own gear for the trip. i don't understand all these kickstarter-type sponsorships and begging basically. i watched the video. he shouldn't promise folks that he'll complete the trail. a lot can happen, physically and mentally to keep him from the goal. just my opinion
If you watched the video he's self-funding this trip. He's been working for months to get the money.. I guarantee you he will succeed.

Andrew Dale
02-12-2014, 13:28
Is there a separate contest for guys and gals? I already voted for a gal. No hate.
You can still vote for him, but if you already voted for someone and don't want to vote again that's ok

lonehiker
02-12-2014, 13:35
If you watched the video he's self-funding this trip. He's been working for months to get the money.. I guarantee you he will succeed.

How can you guarantee his success?

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 13:42

I got that too, no worries. There's something to be said about making commitments to others that are counting on you to finish. It sometimes can help with the "mental" piece of hiking. Hopefully there won't be a illness, major injury or something else that ends the hike for your brother.

I love the fact that you are campaigning for him too... that's touching! :D I wish him the best! Thanks for responding Andrew!

Hill Ape
02-12-2014, 13:47
hubris... reality will assert itself

Slo-go'en
02-12-2014, 14:32
So, all you get is a backpack, some stuff sacks and some food?

bfayer
02-12-2014, 14:41
Really no hate, but its like the kids that knock on my door at dinner time trying to sell magazines for the band boosters. I don't mind the neighborhood kids, but if I don't know them and have never seen them before, it annoys me.

I know I don't have to read the thread, and I don't have to open my front door either, but you can't un-knock the door.

lonehiker
02-12-2014, 15:23
Really no hate, but its like the kids that knock on my door at dinner time trying to sell magazines for the band boosters. I don't mind the neighborhood kids, but if I don't know them and have never seen them before, it annoys me.

I know I don't have to read the thread, and I don't have to open my front door either, but you can't un-knock the door.

I would buy from kids knocking at my door before someone (their parents) knocking on my door selling for them. Or selling for them at their workplace. At least they are learning some semblance of work ethic. The poster, in this case, isn't even the one that needs the votes. That is why I did not "like" this request.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-12-2014, 15:28
Done...good luck.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 15:33
The poster, in this case, isn't even the one that needs the votes.
walkin' the AT is an extended vacation of choice. nobody "needs" any votes

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 15:47
I would buy from kids knocking at my door before someone (their parents) knocking on my door selling for them. Or selling for them at their workplace. At least they are learning some semblance of work ethic. The poster, in this case, isn't even the one that needs the votes. That is why I did not "like" this request.

I read the OP as the brother who was taking "the heat" on WB for his brother. I can totally understand his thinking- He didn't want his brother to be "hated" on WB.

If I hadn't already voted, I would vote for him solely for that reason. I love it.. brotherly love.. that's awesome!

Sounds like he's been campaigning for him on FB too. He's supporting his brother in his dream to hike the AT.
Doesn't seem like they get that much in return for all the effort but it's sooo sweet. I'm a huge fan!

You don't have to "buy" anything.

They are young kids too...18 years old!

See how everyone sees things so differently! :)

Coffee
02-12-2014, 15:56
The person running the contest seems to be getting a lot of mileage out of a contest involving a few hundred dollars worth of gear. I respect that from a business standpoint.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 16:00
The person running the contest seems to be getting a lot of mileage out of a contest involving a few hundred dollars worth of gear. I respect that from a business standpoint.

I agree, you couldn't hire kids to put flyers under your windshield wipers for what this is going to cost him. The flyers under my wipers annoy me too :)

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 16:09
I agree, you couldn't hire kids to put flyers under your windshield wipers for what this is going to cost him. The flyers under my wipers annoy me too :)

I did think about that, bfayer. I feel for the kids. I think they might be wise to it though. (at least some of them)

The snow is starting.... :eek:

Ewker
02-12-2014, 16:20
it is still spam whether some of you want to admit it or not

Hot Flash
02-12-2014, 16:37

There is no way you can "guarantee" something like that. Please stop begging for sponsorship here.

Andrew Dale
02-12-2014, 16:59
I'm not begging you guys for support, I'm asking for it for my brother. If you don't care about it just don't post and don't like it either.

Coffee
02-12-2014, 17:21
I'm not begging you guys for support, I'm asking for it for my brother. If you don't care about it just don't post and don't like it either.

Well aren't people are free to express both support and disapproval? In my opinion, the contest is harmless and the guy who came up with the idea is pretty smart. I wish all the contestants and thru hikers well.

apd07c
02-12-2014, 17:27

You shouldn't underestimate the value of Badger's shoulder to cry on when it gets tough out there. :p

"and 24/7 emotional support and advice"
"...my digits for emotional support..."

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 18:37

your brother really needs to get on here and plea. seriously. i may "like" him if he's eloquent

Paragon
02-12-2014, 18:43
your brother really needs to get on here and plea. seriously. i may "like" him if he's eloquent

Hey Lone Wolf, brother here! I actually already made a post. I had no idea that Andrew was making this thread (He has been campaigning for me all-out since he's off school this week!) and just now stumbled upon it during my daily lurk. Here's a link to my post: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101567-Badger-Sponsorship-1-000-worth-of-gear!

I'm sorry for those that feel this is spam! I didn't mean for a second thread to pop up, and I threw the original in General Discussion since that's where uncategorized things go! As far as I'm concerned, this is a part of the AT culture (Zach Davis' book was the one that got me hooked on the trail) and I'm just following up every lead to help reduce the financial burden on myself. Sure, I've been working and saving money for the hike like the majority of hikers, I just see this as a way to save a few hundred bucks on gear and food. That money can go a long way, allowing me to hike a few hundred more miles!

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 18:54
Hey "brother" :p Good luck on this contest and ur upcoming thru-hike.

Don't mind us we are bored with it snowing really hard outside right now!

Sierra2015
02-12-2014, 18:57

I love your attitude HikerMom!

I aspire to treat others the same way you do.

rickb
02-12-2014, 19:17
You sound like a good brother-- I'll send a like for that alone. Tell me you will meet up with him somewhere along the way, and I'll figure out a way to send a couple more.

If this part of your participation has turned out less fun than first intended, make sure it is effective!

Cheers.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 19:28
Hey Lone Wolf, brother here! I actually already made a post. I had no idea that Andrew was making this thread (He has been campaigning for me all-out since he's off school this week!) and just now stumbled upon it during my daily lurk. Here's a link to my post: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101567-Badger-Sponsorship-1-000-worth-of-gear!

I'm sorry for those that feel this is spam! I didn't mean for a second thread to pop up, and I threw the original in General Discussion since that's where uncategorized things go! As far as I'm concerned, this is a part of the AT culture (Zach Davis' book was the one that got me hooked on the trail) and I'm just following up every lead to help reduce the financial burden on myself. Sure, I've been working and saving money for the hike like the majority of hikers, I just see this as a way to save a few hundred bucks on gear and food. That money can go a long way, allowing me to hike a few hundred more miles!
ok. i'm gonna "like" ya

Paragon
02-12-2014, 19:54

Thanks Hikermom! I read in another thread that the people on these forums are a lot more 'Hard-core' than a lot of the hikers I'll meet on the trail. Nevertheless, thank you for being friendly! :)

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 21:49
Thanks Hikermom! I read in another thread that the people on these forums are a lot more 'Hard-core' than a lot of the hikers I'll meet on the trail. Nevertheless, thank you for being friendly! :)

No prob, Paragon! Please don't judge how you are treated on these forums to how fellow hikers will relate/treat you on the trail. You shouldn't have any problems at all! Y'all will be like family!:) Not so much on here, sometimes.... :(

Happy Trails!

Almost forgot... Thank you Sierra for the kind words! You're def. one of us now.:D

Home Fires
02-13-2014, 11:22
If you had been a long-time contributor here, I might be more inclined to help you win $1,000.

I run across folks regularly here and who come to Meetup.com hiking groups, who only want to use the group, but not contribute to the group. Can't say I'm impressed when I see that attitude..

Rain Man, My daughter Bennett also has a video up for vote, and I posted her link in the women's hiking forums. I think I have a total of 14 posts here, but I've been here since 2008, when this hike was first being planned. This site has been invaluable to me and to my daughter, who probably hasn't even registered, but there's not much I can contribute -- especially since I'm not even the one hiking.

All the videos are directly related to thru-hikes starting this season, so it seems pretty valid to post on this site, long-standing history or not. Folks can vote for as many as they want .... or none at all.

Hopefully in September both of us will have more to offer, having actually been through the experience (from both sides, hiking and supporting). Until then, anything that helps her be better equipped or me spend less money on the effort is fine by me...

max patch
02-13-2014, 11:34
Full disclosure - I already voted for someone.

This campaign sure has generated a lot of free publicity for a book that isn't necessary.

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 12:56
I concur with the sentiment that many members "lurk" on WB. No one should be judged by their post counts, entirely. That's just not fair.

You can judge me, by my post count, if you want too, Yes, I'll admit it, I'm a "blabber mouth". :p

When I talk to members on WB that don't post much, I ask them why they don't. (I do some shuttling so I've had the chance to talk to them in person) The answer I get mostly- they feel intimidated posting on WB. That's sad.

I feel the same way as Paul the Brit, about these threads. Others don't feel that way & that's fine.

I think it's all about how you go about expressing your opinion that matters. Sometimes members are too blunt in expressing their thoughts sometimes, IMHO. I'm guilty. I believe most of us may be guilty of that from time to time.

It's the members that seem to feel it's their "job" to insult, belittle and poke fun. Those are the ones that I find annoying.

Ignore button... it works! ;)

The Cleaner
02-13-2014, 13:10
It's going to take more than a few FB likes to do a thru hike.....

lonehiker
02-13-2014, 16:53
Quote: No one should be judged by their post counts, entirely.

Why should they be judged by their post count at all?

HikerMom58
02-13-2014, 17:15
Quote: No one should be judged by their post counts, entirely.

Why should they be judged by their post count at all?

Well, you make a good point, lonehiker. I agree with you.
I don't think they should be judged by their join date or post counts at all.

Some are saying, people are just joining WB to get something & not give anything.

I'm also saying some would like to participate more but they are afraid too.

There's others that join to come on & just brag about themselves. Attention seekers. ( I, personally, have a low tolerance level for those types.)

So there's all types with all sorts of motivations for joining and starting threads on here.