PDA

View Full Version : Great Deal on Wind Rain Shirt?

googlywoogly
02-10-2014, 13:16
In the spirit of the other thread about the Walmart down jacket...I picked up a "Ben Hogan" Wind/Rain shirt off the clearance rack this morning while looking for lamp oil in preparation for the forecast ice event for my area.

I'm sure this thing is not the lightest, nor the best in quality. I haven't had a chance to test it in the field. But for $11 I figured worse case scenario it turns into a trunk of the car emergency item.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ben-Hogan-Men-s1-4-Zip-Color-Block-Jacket/25539787

BuckeyeBill
02-10-2014, 14:39
Looks really nice. Too bad it is only available in small and medium. $6.00 for those of you can wear these sizes.

googlywoogly
02-10-2014, 17:30
Looks really nice. Too bad it is only available in small and medium. $6.00 for those of you can wear these sizes.

The one I bought in the store was a 2x X-large. I bought the biggest I could get with the idea of it being something I could throw over my other layers when I needed to be semi water resistant and protected from wind.

78owl
02-10-2014, 19:26
I bought a Frogg Togg rain poncho for 10$ @ WallyWorld this past weekend. They also had rain suits in stock form Froggs.

Dogwood
02-10-2014, 19:51
Gonna wet right out in anything but the lightest mist. Definitely not a rain jacket. Also, golf is not(not as) a high cardiosvacular output activity compared to hiking/backpacking so this 100% polyester piece is not designed to/going to breathe anywhere as well as some of the main stream bicycling, running, backpacking wind jackets. I'd certainly use it to change a tire or check the oil in a light mist though. Gotta agree with 78owl. A better deal on the steep and cheap if wanting a rain jacket that's going to be far more usable in a wider range of wind and rain is a FroggToggs rain suit(separate jacket and pants). Some Wally Worlds sell them but I've seen them also at Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authourity for about $20 for the set. Not a bad deal for something that offers better performance if desiring a rain jacket.

Drybones
02-10-2014, 20:42
Gonna wet right out in anything but the lightest mist. Definitely not a rain jacket. Also, golf is not(not as) a high cardiosvacular output activity compared to hiking/backpacking so this 100% polyester piece is not designed to/going to breathe anywhere as well as some of the main stream bicycling, running, backpacking wind jackets. I'd certainly use it to change a tire or check the oil in a light mist though. Gotta agree with 78owl. A better deal on the steep and cheap if wanting a rain jacket that's going to be far more usable in a wider range of wind and rain is a FroggToggs rain suit(separate jacket and pants). Some Wally Worlds sell them but I've seen them also at Dicks Sporting Goods and Sports Authourity for about $20 for the set. Not a bad deal for something that offers better performance if desiring a rain jacket.

You seem very knowledgeable about this product, how long have you owned yours?