PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Badger Sponsorship

EllieBVT
02-10-2014, 13:49
Hi Whiteblazers!

I'm Ellie, I'm going to be hiking NOBO starting this March. I'm a finalist in the Appalachian Trials Badger Sponsorship this year, individuals submit a 90 second video explaining why they should get the sponsorship (which includes a pack, larabars, and a bunch of other great gear). The winner is determined by whichever video gets the most Facebook "likes" by Feb. 17th.

Here's a link to my video: http://www.appalachiantrials.com/ellie-wants-badger-sponsorship/

So please White Blaze team I'd love if you'd click the link, like the page, and help me win!

If I win I will use the money that I had budgeted for a pack to spread some trail magic for other thru-hikers throughout my hike.

Thank you!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 14:53
Done....good luck.

Coffee
02-10-2014, 15:29
Too bad voting requires Facebook or I would have cast a vote! Good luck.

bfayer
02-10-2014, 15:37
Hi Whiteblazers!

I'm Ellie, I'm going to be hiking NOBO starting this March. I'm a finalist in the Appalachian Trials Badger Sponsorship this year, individuals submit a 90 second video explaining why they should get the sponsorship (which includes a pack, larabars, and a bunch of other great gear). The winner is determined by whichever video gets the most Facebook "likes" by Feb. 17th.

Here's a link to my video: http://www.appalachiantrials.com/ellie-wants-badger-sponsorship/

So please White Blaze team I'd love if you'd click the link, like the page, and help me win!

If I win I will use the money that I had budgeted for a pack to spread some trail magic for other thru-hikers throughout my hike.

Thank you!

I don't really mind voting for ya I guess, but don't you think you might have posted a bit and made some friends on here before you asked for favors?

OCDave
02-10-2014, 15:38
Ellie,

I enjoyed your video. I will "LIKE" it here on Whiteblaze but, I am not a Facebooker.

Good Luck with the sponsorship.

HikerMom58
02-10-2014, 15:48
Cute video Ellie... you got my vote!

canoe
02-10-2014, 18:31
You are the second first time poster wanting friends. HHMM. Just wondering

moldy
02-10-2014, 20:16
I don't have facebook, is this like the old badger game?

lonehiker
02-10-2014, 20:20
You are the second first time poster wanting friends. HHMM. Just wondering

So, what should a person's first post be? She introduced herself, indicated what she was doing and why and even told us her proposed start date..... Works for me. I helped her out and liked her video as it appears to be for a good cause.

Hill Ape
02-10-2014, 20:38
its a conspiracy for sure. WB is being infiltrated

A/B
02-10-2014, 20:49
I reviewed all the entries, and I think yours was the most creative. Good job! Got my vote, and see you on the trail with your new pack!

oldwetherman
02-10-2014, 21:38
Got my vote!

jac115
02-10-2014, 22:01
Hi Whiteblazers!

Thank you!
Ok Ellie since you were the first one to ask about the Sponsorship, I "liked" you on Facebook. Good luck and I will be following your AT journey.
jac

EllieBVT
02-10-2014, 22:41
Hi everybody!

Thank you so so much to those who liked my video (whether in spirit or on facebook!)

I do apologize for asking for favors before posting much--I know that might sit weirdly with some people. (If it counts I have been religiously reading whiteblaze for the last couple months and thank you to all you frequent post-ers who have given great advice for every hiking question under the sun) I am a quieter person and don't yet have advice to offer so haven't found much to necessarily say.

Well anyway, thank you again! I really do appreciate it :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-10-2014, 22:48
BADGERS? BADGERS? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGERS!!!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.

4eyedbuzzard
02-11-2014, 03:50
BADGERS? BADGERS? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGERS!!!

I'm sorry, I just couldn't resist.Neither could I http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gx6TBrfCW54

Texaco
02-11-2014, 11:57
Funny video. I voted!

Subie Love
02-11-2014, 12:38
Nice video! I watched pretty much all of them and voted for yours, good luck!

EllieBVT
02-11-2014, 15:12
Thank you Subie Love and Texaco! :banana

Ewker
02-11-2014, 16:21
SPAM....just sayin

Hill Ape
02-11-2014, 16:27
didn't you already say it once? jeez folks, ignore if you want, go click like if you want. these kids aren't asking you for milk money, just a click. personally i think badger does as much or more to attract more people to backpacking and the trail than most on this board ever have. its not a private club

likeahike
02-11-2014, 18:13
didn't you already say it once? jeez folks, ignore if you want, go click like if you want. these kids aren't asking you for milk money, just a click. personally i think badger does as much or more to attract more people to backpacking and the trail than most on this board ever have. its not a private clubPardon my confusion (I'm a newbie here), but you say ignore or click, followed by an opinion. So, are you saying we should only express an opinion that agrees with yours?

likeahike
02-11-2014, 18:36
Back on topic...

Cool video! Although I didn't view the other entries, I can't imagine they would be more creative than yours. You'd get my vote, except I don't do FaceBook.

Good luck!

lonehiker
02-11-2014, 19:10
Pardon my confusion (I'm a newbie here), but you say ignore or click, followed by an opinion. So, are you saying we should only express an opinion that agrees with yours?

You are definitely confused. That is not what Hill Ape said.

Hill Ape
02-11-2014, 19:44
erm.... what i meant was, ignore the various threads if you want, or go to facebook and click like for the OP if you want. but folks getting their silkies wadded up seems a bit much. but i would strongly advise everyone to completely ignore any opinion i may voice. i am very disagreeable. spend most of my quality time in a tree flinging poo. hike your own hike, even though you're doing it wrong

max patch
02-11-2014, 20:12
You remind me of Taylor!

You got my vote.

Jess Blank
02-11-2014, 20:29
You got my vote too. I don't have it in me to campaign for myself for the rest of the week (and I don't think I could get 200+ more votes if I wanted to) ;) I hope you can find the votes and blast past those leaders. I think your video deserves it above the others, I wish there was a creative merit component. I'd like to see a fellow female solo win! Good luck!

PS. I hope the haters ease up. I posted about 'books to read' in a general forum and it's been a really good convo. I think the community is worth the investment, just maybe a few overprotective grumps around. Don't let 'em getcha down!

EllieBVT
02-12-2014, 10:11
Thank you thank you to max patch and likeahike! and thank you hill ape and lone hiker for defending me and the other badgers :)

Jess-wow, thank you! and yeah, facebook campaigning is getting exhausting, i too wish that creativity counted for something. Perhaps something we can suggest for next year (cough.. Zach if you're reading this.. cough).

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 11:07
erm.... what i meant was, ignore the various threads if you want, or go to facebook and click like for the OP if you want. but folks getting their silkies wadded up seems a bit much. but i would strongly advise everyone to completely ignore any opinion i may voice. i am very disagreeable. spend most of my quality time in a tree flinging poo. hike your own hike, even though you're doing it wrong

LOL!! I'm very disagreeable too! I like you Hill Ape! :)

Jess and Ellie, I hope you stick around WB. It's not a perfect site b/c imperfect people are here. (including myself) Some of us try to overcome our imperfections, but it's a work in progress.
Welcome to WB, girls!!

Paragon
02-12-2014, 18:36
Hey Ellie, just popping in to say that I thought you had a great video! I didn't vote for more than a handful of the videos (including myself) and yours was one of my favorites! I hope to see you out on the trail at some point, I'm leaving on/around March 29th!

As far as the video goes, I'd agree that there should be some sort of creativity component. For us contestants, it makes the competition a bit more fair. From a business standpoint, I can see how Zach would want more traffic on his website from the sheer number of people coming to like the video. That's probably why he posted them all on his blog instead of just giving a single blog post and linking to the videos on youtube.

-Mike Dale

EllieBVT
02-12-2014, 19:54
Thanks Hikermom! Yes I'll definitely be sticking around WB, if feel like there's a lot of respect and support on here :)

Mike- Thank you, I start on March 23, so I'm sure our paths will cross at some point! And oh yeah, it totally makes sense from a Zach's perspective.. I just wish he had actually narrowed it down to a top 10 so there would have been some semblance of a quality component. But hey it makes it just a taller mountain to climb, eh? anyway, serious kudos to you--you and your brother are killing it, way to go!

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 21:44
Thanks Hikermom! Yes I'll definitely be sticking around WB, if feel like there's a lot of respect and support on here :)

Mike- Thank you, I start on March 23, so I'm sure our paths will cross at some point! And oh yeah, it totally makes sense from a Zach's perspective.. I just wish he had actually narrowed it down to a top 10 so there would have been some semblance of a quality component. But hey it makes it just a taller mountain to climb, eh? anyway, serious kudos to you--you and your brother are killing it, way to go!

You are so welcome EllieBVT. I admire you & Mike so much. Such a great example of good friendly competition! I love it!

Good luck to you both! Go Class of 2014!!

Second Hand
02-12-2014, 22:37
I don't have Facebook so I had my wife vote for you. I'll bother some others to vote for you to! Very creative, good luck and have a safe hike!

Wise Old Owl
02-13-2014, 00:56
Ellie,

I enjoyed your video very inventive! I will "LIKE" it here on Whiteblaze but, I too am not a Facebooker.

Good Luck with the sponsorship.

Paragon
02-13-2014, 12:09
serious kudos to you--you and your brother are killing it, way to go!

We have some catching up to do! Bennett Travers just pulled 200 likes in less than an hour -- WHOA! Back to campaigning! :)

Alligator
02-14-2014, 00:46
15. If a user believes a violation of WhiteBlaze Rules has occurred, they should advise a Moderator or Administrator by a Private Message (“PM”) with a link, if possible, to the post in question. If it is a post you want to refer to them please click on the report post icon in the post in question.

If you think it is spam, continuing to post into the thread only perpetuates the problem you perceive. You will get a faster response by hitting the report post feature. We may not get to it right away. We may also have already looked at it and left it be. Please do not keep posting about spam into the thread.

The specific members in these threads have not spammed the board. That would happen if they excessively cross-thread posted a commercial venture of their own. We have had threads like this run before. Granted, most times multiple participants have not asked for votes in the same forum. They are not asking for money, they are asking for votes. Even they were asking for money it would fall under charity for a hiker and that's trail related.

The Badger has linked his name to this promotion. That is marketing. You may not think highly of that but it's not spam. It would be spam if he put up several threads about it. If it bothers you, try the thread ignore feature.

Hill Ape
02-14-2014, 01:37
i'm not convinced badger intended for it to come over to WB, this being the first time he's done something like this it may have just organically went a direction that he didn't foresee

Alligator
02-14-2014, 02:11
i'm not convinced badger intended for it to come over to WB, this being the first time he's done something like this it may have just organically went a direction that he didn't foreseeI have given him the benefit of the doubt. We usually give people some leeway in terms of commercial posts--new businesses, hiker services, etc. Most people use those, we just don't want the forum spammed. In this case, I was being very specific with my words as I had already seen the two posts that Badger had made here regarding this sponsorship;).

But these threads are for voting for a favorite video so take a look (or not) but let's not worry about the spamming part, no one has exceeded their limits for that.