PDA

View Full Version : Counting down for 2015

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-11-2014, 00:47
The planning begins in earnest. Approximately 1 year and 21 days from now (based on when the 2015 ATKO is scheduled) I will be at the arch, pack on my back, ready to start one of greatest adventures of my life! It has long been a secret desire of mine. You know, the kind you keep to yourself for fear that everyone will think you are crazy (I have also heard nuts and insane) So I kept silent and dreamed. Then one day the dream manifested itself right out of my mouth to my youngest daughter "I am going to hike the Appalachian Trail" "sounds like a nice thing to do this weekend" "No, I'm going to hike the whole thing - at one time" "how long is it?" "2176, give or take a few" "mom, you're so crazy!" "That's probably true" And it probably is crazy for someone who has never really hiked more than 12 miles in her entire life much less backpacked. Now I have my backpack ( fitted by the great folks at REI in Richmond) my sleeping bag, and my tent. Next is my stove, trail wear and odds and ends. In the meanwhile I'll read and learn and plan. And ask lots of questions I am sure. Waiting is going to be the hard part....

Damn Yankee
02-11-2014, 06:10
I too am hoping to thru-hike in 2015 and have wanted to do it all my life. I wish I would have done it while I was younger but, perhaps the thought of doing it and not having the dream prevented me. I am hoping that I am one of a dozen veterans chosen through a program called "Warrior Hike" Walking off the war. Maybe we'll pass on the trail. Have fun with your planning and keep us informed on your progress.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-11-2014, 16:15
Hey, Damn Yankee, you live in Staunton! I've been there a time or two. I usually hang out in Waynesboro, Stuarts Draft, Vesuvius area when I am up that way. In fact, was up there for New Years to get a "fix". It's where I fell in love with the mountains and the dream took root ( at a campground off 56 to be exact).

I certainly hope you get a slot for the "warrior hike". I think it is a wonderful idea. When I'm up there all my worries and stress go away and I can just be :-) I am certain I will be on here often with questions and seeking advice because I have a lot to learn so I'll be looking for news that you got a slot.

rock steady
02-12-2014, 12:04
Hi! I wish you well..I'm starting Mar 01 or 02. Just now really deciding 'I'm gonna do it'. I've decided to use the Sawyer Syst gravity water filter w/2liter reservoir in the backpack. When we get close to a long dry area we can just add some Gatorade bottles. One thing I never leave w/out is a SPACE BLANKET. (You can probably tell I'm pretty hyper about it:) ) There is nothing better for emer cold weather. From reading journals I've about decided to bring2! You are so far ahead on your gear purchases! Wow.
Now comes the nosy question: is your gear more for camping or for hiking? I just came across the idea last month and it fascinated me. So what is your gear idea? hiking or camping?
Take care and God bless..

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-13-2014, 00:34
Hey Rock Steady! So glad you are deciding to "just do it". Like I said I am planning to get started after the ATKO (this may be a once in a life time experience so I want the total package) so depending on when that is I could be starting around then as well. For water purification I am going with a Sawyer water filter too. Along with a 2L platypus and a couple of 1 liter squeeze bottles, although I have read a couple of times about the benefits of using gatorade bottles. Planning a back-up as well. What do you know about Aquamire. I do have one space blanket. They are so small and light it doesn't make sense not to take at least one. I figured if it gets real cold it can't hurt to have one to lie on the floor of tent to reflect body heat back up. As far as my gear goes, I do have straight up camping gear. You know, regular size/weight tent, coleman dual fuel camp stove and what everyone refers to as my "magic yellow boxes" full of things useful to have been you are camping and don't want to have to run to town to get them. Been camping for about 15 years now. The gear I am accumulating now is for the "big walk". I have a Big Anges Copper Spur UL1, (although the new MSR Hubba Hubba is tempting. I could have twice the space for almost the same weight), a Zissou 17 degree down sleeping bag, a Ridgecrest backpack by REI ( had to go with that one for a proper fit because I am "short in the torso") a Thermarest sleeping pad and my Sawyer filter. i am planning to get a Caldera Stove for cooking. Haven't decided on cookware yet but it sounds like I should plan to get a long titanium spork from all the posts I read about them! I have a solar charger I can attach to my backpack but I am undecided about the electronics thing as of yet. Def plan to bring a decent small camera - which means I will be leaving behind my Canon 7D :( but it is rather heavy. Probably bring something for music and maybe reading. Got a decent Black Diamond head lamp. And then like I said trail wear and odd and ends. Oh, wow, and shoes/boots. Can't forget them. I still have to choose footwear. Keen seems to work best with my feet. But I haven't decided on hikers or trail-runners or a combination of both. Need to get out to a couple of outfitters and start trying some on. Well, I've "talked" your ear off and probably told you way more than you wanted to know. Look forward to comparing notes and ideas over the next week. Peace be with you :)

Sierra2015
02-13-2014, 00:43
Have you done a spreadsheet for weights?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-13-2014, 11:37
Have you done a spreadsheet for weights?
No. Should I?

rock steady
02-14-2014, 15:09
Hi Ladt Thru--I've never used the aquamira but it looks great. Chlorine is our special friend with water. My wife and I are fanatics about water trtmt.I prob won't take a back-up treatment. Guess my main adjustmt will be 'camel up' a liter of water before walking. "The best place to carry water is in your stomach" That's gonna be an adjustment. Tent will prob be copper spur ul2 so you are 9oz lighter than me already.Not sure re pack-maybe Osprey-Travis at N. Ga, Outfitters is going to have to explain and help on that.The jetboil with freeze bags will prob be my cook set. got to run--thanks for all the info! God bless..

Ranger_Waites
02-20-2014, 22:18
I will be joining the ranks in 2015 as well! Can't wait!

Ranger_Waites
02-20-2014, 22:20
I swear by MSR's Hubba Hubba. I have a 2 person that is fit for myself. I call it the queen's quarters. I will be using it on my thru hike in 2015.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-21-2014, 14:52
My concern with new Hubba hubba 1 person is I lose length-wise over the copper spur 1 person and, while the extra space is tempting,for I think an extra 8 ounces, with the 2 person, the gain in wt. since I am hiking solo. I do want to be as comfortable as possible but I worry that if I start developing the mind-set of "well, it's only a few more ounces" that those ounces will start to add up. Aiming for somewhere in the middle of comfort and weight I can reasonably carry. Are there other areas you are choosing to cut back on to compensate for the difference in wt.

turgaer
02-21-2014, 20:32
Hey, I'll be thru-hiking in 2015 as well. I don't know if you've made a spreadsheet since the comment about it earlier, but having something that shows the weight of each item in your pack makes it much easier to figure out where to cut back to compensate for weight elsewhere. I'm trying to find places to cut back so I can bring a hammock instead of a tent, and I was surprised to see that my insulating clothing is actually the second heaviest system in my pack.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-22-2014, 22:24
Hey turgaer, I haven't made one yet but it does seem like a good idea. Sierra 2015 recommended it too. I am going to start working on it this week.

skinnbones
02-22-2014, 23:48
I smile every time I see 2015 planned thru hike on the AT. We should have a great class.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-23-2014, 07:02
I smile every time I see 2015 planned thru hike on the AT. We should have a great class.

Same here skinnbones! Every time I see someone new committing to 2015 adds to my anticipation! And while it never really occurred to me to be nervous about going solo - in fact, never thought to do it any other way - it is comforting to know that not everyone will be total strangers. What fun it will be to look for names on the registers and perhaps get to meet some of you over the course of the trail :-)

Sidd
02-23-2014, 07:29
I intend to be out there as well, though haven't started planning the details. Hope to see you all!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-23-2014, 15:49
Hey Sidd, nice to meet you :-) My job is getting ready to bring me to NY in just 2 weeks in the Middleton area. Hoping to get on the trail a little bit while I am there. I am looking forward to hearing how everyone's planning is going over the next year and share information and tips and tricks. But most of all maybe getting to put faces with names.

Skinny Rooster
02-23-2014, 16:36
I'm planning a thru for 2015 as well. Also planning a Long Trail e2e hike this summer in part to make sure a long hike is something I'm going to have fun doing. Hiked all of Pennsylvania in one continuous trip while in High School, many years ago now, but have only done long weekend hikes since then. Suggest everyone get out there and hike as much as possible in preparation, particularly if you don't have a lot of experience.

Mane
02-23-2014, 16:59
Excited to hike SOBO in 2015!

Sidd
02-24-2014, 05:30
Hi LTH- I'm sorry I will miss you (I'm currently working out of the country). There are some good day hikes in the area for sure (though it's been years for me since I've hiked in the area). Have fun and I hope the weather is on your side!
-Sidd

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-24-2014, 07:23
Hey Skinny Rooster! The advice to get some hiking in is sage advice. The reason why although I travel with my job I tote my pack and the gear I've already gotten along with me, one of the reasons I got it so early on. will be looking to get some practice when I get up in NY, maybe some weekend trips. By the way, what's an e2e?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-24-2014, 07:24
Mane, I am excited for you!! Will be sure to keep a look out for you. We can exchange stories about what lies ahead for us both :-)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-24-2014, 07:25
Thanks Sidd, will let you know what I find and how it goes.

NCn8chrgrrl
02-24-2014, 17:22
Hey, y'all! I'm counting down, too!!! It's going to be so exciting :)

vagabondphotographer
02-25-2014, 09:30
1 year and 34 days til my fiance and I set out on the trail. I can't wait and good luck to everyone else who is thru-hiking! :)

Grampsb
02-25-2014, 12:27
In reply to the spreadsheet, you might want to try out greargrams.com. Online gear list program where you can enter all your gear and then create gear lists for different hikes and condition.

BuckeyeBill
02-25-2014, 18:11
2015 lady Thru Hiker

e2e = End to End or a thru hike

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-25-2014, 23:18
NCn8chrgrrl, hey. Nice of you to stop by. And you are right, it is very exciting!!! I just want to do a little happy dance every time someone else joins the ranks. I look forward to hearing more about you as you plan your hike.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-25-2014, 23:23
vagabondphotographer....give me a moment to figure out one of your two interest are :) What will you be carrying to snap shots with? I will likely be leaving my Canon 7D at home, so need to figure out what I will carry in it's stead. Any thoughts?

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-25-2014, 23:39
Very nice Grampsb. I went to the site and opened an account. Looks very easy to use :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-25-2014, 23:46
BuckeyeBill, uh, yeah, that makes total sense now that I think about it. No one could accuse me of being slow!

matt9817
03-02-2014, 14:50
I also plan on doing the thru hike in 2015. I am looking for a hiking partner/s. Not saying we have to stick together 24/7, but someone that enjoys good company. If you have any interest in getting to know me, or would like to start the trail together, email me at [email protected]. Thanks!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-02-2014, 21:30
Have you done a spreadsheet for weights? Okay, finally started a spreadsheet and so far I am at 12.5 lbs with my pack (4.5), my sleeping bag (2.1), my sleeping pad (1.4), my tent w/footprint (2.7) and a few smaller things - headlamp, poles, water filter. Big items still needed: stove, camera, clothes. How does it looks like I'm doing so far? Aiming for around 30 lbs.

matt9817
03-03-2014, 17:28
30lbs is still kind of heavy. I would aim for 20-26lbs. You can look into a lighter pack. I have an Exos that weights 2.5lbs, my tent is a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 that comes in around 2lbs. Try to narrow it down to what you actually need, compared to luxury items.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-03-2014, 18:37
Hey Matt thanks for taking a look :-) I am aiming for a balance between weight and comfortable. I will on the slow boat for the journey and not looking to break any speed records. Looking to hit GA March 5th, stay for the ATKO then head for springer on the 9th. Main goal with regard to time is to hit Katahdin before the snow hits or they close it for the winter. So don't mind carrying a little extra weight for comfort. Just don't want to go overboard. Based on a couple of recommendations (yours included) I can going to relool at my pack. I ended up with that one for fitting purposes but will look again to see if I can find something that gives the fit but loses some ounces. I already know I can lose some weight changing my sleeping pad out for a shorter model. Tried the fly creek but didn't like the way it was constructed so ended up with the CSUL1.

Saw on another post that you are planning to head out around March as well. While it has always been my desire to solo, one of things I am most looking forward to is the people I'll meet along the way. At your age you will probably leave me in the dust but hope we'll get a chance to meet out there!

matt9817
03-04-2014, 01:31
Well i am glad to see all people out there wanting to hike the AT. I have hiked the NJ part and came across some of the most amazing thru hikers all shapes, sizes, and genders! Some of the nicest people are on the trail. Although it is a year away, i am beyond excited for it! i constantly read about it and widen my knowledge of the AT. Once you have all your gear you should make a post. I will be making one in a few days. I also could cut some weight, but i feel that some luxury items, or items i can trim down are a must for me! its all about the hiker and what they feel comfortable with. I also hope to meet you ( and other hikers ive read about leaving around that time) out there! Nothings like a trail family! hope all is well. keep me posted.

Siarl
03-04-2014, 02:49
I too plan to do an ATTH beginning March 2015. I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid and my mom would take us out on the Blue Ridge Parkway every summer. I would see the sign posts marking the Appalachian Trail entering and exiting on the side of the road. I would say to myself, I want to follow that trail someday. I grew up in Galax, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Roanoke. The scary part for me is that if I say I'm going to hike the trail beginning March 2015 it will jinx it somehow. I'm afraid I won't have the necessary time to save up enough for the trail and take care of my bills and responsibilities while I'm on the trail. But it's what the plan is right now. I've purchased my H2O bladders and my head lamp so far. That's all I've purchased so far. It will be interesting to meet everyone else. I plan to do the approach trail. For me, it's not about the race or the mileage, it's about the adventure along the way. I have to finish the trail and be back here in Terlingua, TX by September 1st. But again, it's about the adventure along the way. If I don't make it to Kitahdin by then, I will just have to finish it the next year.

Siarl
03-04-2014, 03:01
I too plan to do an ATTK beginning March 2015. I've been wanting to do this since I was a little kid and my mom would take us out on the Blue Ridge Parkway every summer. I would see the sign posts marking the Appalachian Trail entering and exiting on the side of the road. I would say to myself, I want to follow that trail someday. I grew up in Galax, Staunton, Waynesboro, and Roanoke. The scary part for me is that if I say I'm going to hike the trail beginning March 2015 it will jinx it somehow. I'm afraid I won't have the necessary time to save up enough for the trail and take care of my bills and responsibilities while I'm on the trail. But it's what the plan is right now. I've purchased my H2O bladders and my head lamp so far. That's all I've purchased so far. It will be interesting to meet everyone else. I plan to do the approach trail. For me, it's not about the race or the mileage, it's about the adventure along the way. I have to finish the trail and be back here in Terlingua, TX by September 1st. But again, it's about the adventure along the way. If I don't make it to Kitahdin by then, I will just have to finish it the next year.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-04-2014, 08:29
Siarl, thanks for stopping by. I really never gave the trail a thought until I started camping about 17 years ago. Been thinking about ever since. And, well, I'm not getting younger, so I need to get out there and do this thing! ( in the back of my head is a triple, but we'll see if the ole' body holds up for this one) like you it's about the adventure along the way. Not looking to break any speed record. For one of the first times in my life I doing something that is all for me and I intend to savor every moment :-)

take advantage of all the knowledge on here about gear and preparation. There are a lot of knowledgable people on here who are generous with their time and response to your questions and concerns. I feel I will be much better prepared when I get out there for having found this forum. Look forward to seeing you on the site while we prepare and hope to see you at Springer!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-04-2014, 08:41
Matt, I feel the same way. If all the people on the trail are anything like the people, here it's gonna be quite an adventure! I certainly share your excitement! The feelings I get every time I think about it, which is a thousand times a day, is indescribable. It's giddiness, happiness and overwhelming joy all rolled into one. Like you I read and research constantly. I have a 2013 AWOL and am planning when and where to stop, making notes about what there is to see. The one problem I have with it is I keep forgetting to plan town trips for resupply :-( Ifn I was ole Grizzly Adams that might be okay but I ain't, so into town I must go :-) I think that is the hardest part - plotting everything out. This year is gonna fly by!

matt9817
03-04-2014, 22:41
I research and research just hoping that the next day i wake up its Feb 28 2015 and ill be leaving the next day!. Until then, planning will just have to do!

matt9817
03-04-2014, 23:12
Just made a gear list, take a look and hopefully the comments will help us both out! Happy planning! hope everything works out.

ScubaShelton
03-04-2014, 23:42
I'm building up for my hike as we speak. Gym time, sectional hikes. gear etc.... im planning on starting in MAine july 2015 and hiking south. Best of luck to you and like myself i hope you achieve your dream.

Gonecampn
03-04-2014, 23:47
Awesome! The time will fly by! You'll be on the trail before you know it. What an awesome adventure to be anticipating :)

Sent from somewhere in the woods ......

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-04-2014, 23:51
Hey Scuba, you'll be doing an SOBO with Mane. It will be fun keeping at eye out for you coming the other way! Like I told Mane, we can give each other a heads up about what lies down the trail. Thank you for the good wishes. It's nice to know there are other out there routing for us. 366 days and counting :-)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-04-2014, 23:56
Thanks Gone! The waiting part sucks but I know all the preparation will add to the overall success of my hike, so I'll wait and plan and learn....

Can't wait til I'm somewhere in the woods too "sigh"
Take Care out there!

Julio
03-05-2014, 20:39
I've taken the advice of Lady Thru-Hiker and jumped on this band wagon. I love to hear the enthusiasm of all who are planning this 2015 trip. Me, I'm like a little kid. The last time as this excited was when I was18 and back-paced Europe for 3 months. Can't wait o meet all you folks. But fr the meantime it should be fun chatting and sharing info and help.

"Doubt has killed more dreams than failure ever will."

matt9817
03-05-2014, 21:47
class of 2015 seems like a bunch of trail junkies like myself! we are going to have one hell of a class! I cannot wait, and reading everyones posts who has the same "itch" as me is just making it worse! Dont you wish you could wake up and it is the end of Feb already, your boarding a plane, and headed down to GA! man i cant wait!! Lady Thru-Hiker, i just made a gear list, and some of the peoples comments are very helpful. If you are also looking for a lightweight reliable stove, look at minibulldesigns.com I havent posted the weight of every item in my bag, but i should be around 12-15lbs without food and water. Water weighs 2lbs per liter, so just keep that in mind. As for food, you can always carry just enough to get you to the next town so you aren't killing yourself carrying unneeded food. hoped that helped! .... i feel like the time March 2015 actually gets here our class is already going to know each other so well! Pleasant planning to everyone!

wtrenda
03-05-2014, 22:07
It's awesome to see so many people already getting in touch and making plans for next year! Building off of what matt9817 said above, that 10-16 lbs weight before food/water seems to be what people strive for. I will be on the AT in GSMNP for a week soon and I look hope to run into some thru hikers that I can chat with and see what's been working for them. I know they'll hate all the gear questions but I'm a bit of a gear junkie. I am constantly trying to upgrade. If anyone is looking for a pre-owned item...odds are, I have one or two extra. It's mostly gear I've moved on from so it may not be the newest stuff but it's worked for me.

Also, just out of curiosity... how many people are not planning their resupplies ahead of time and buying their food along the way when they run out? I know towns are relatively close...so I hadn't originally planned on scheduling resupplies until day-to-day on the trail...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-05-2014, 22:14
Matt I saw your gear list thread. It looks like you are getting some great feedback. As for myself I am going to be rethinking some of the gear I have already purchased and more carefully considering the items I still need to purchase.

And, if this were March 2015 I would be laying my head down tonight at the lodge after having spent the day walking through the arch and up those stairs. Makes me feel all giddy thinking about it.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-05-2014, 22:17
Welcome aboard Juilo! Looking to the next 12 months learning from each other and wishing they would pass sooner.

SawnieRobertson
03-05-2014, 22:26
The planning is fun. It had better be because it is very important--weigh this, weigh that, including as was said, which is dominant, the walk all day or the camping at night. The weight in my pack is not for the walk, that's for sure, but I do want to be able to sleep comfortably and well without hard shivering to stay alive. Weighing the need for things to keep me warm, I have concluded that I can hike lighter leaving after April 1. It is a sort of compromise. The savings in costs for motels when the weather becomes impossible and the tad fewer ounces of one more layer for warmth that won't be necessary to buy and carry are helping me weigh those factors.

Another point is my body weight. Every ounce that is not helping is probably going to be hurting, so some hard choices are ahead for that too.

I love to hike south from NOC for the beginning. There are many reasons for that, and I find that it works. When I get to Springer, I can hike DOWN the Approach Trail to my ride back up to NOC, from which I will begin north.

I love being out there. When I am, I have the feeling that God intended that we live like that, which is a very good feeling. Yes, if I have the legs for it, I'll be out there with the rest of the "Class" of 2015.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-06-2014, 00:04
SawnieRobertson, it sounds like you have a well thought-out plan with an excellent rational for the choices you are making. I know exactly how you feel about being out there. There is a curve on the road that I hit when going to the mountains that I involuntarily sigh and a sense of peace settles upon me. When life really starts getting to me that's where I want to run to and find a place to get lost. And it is where I feel closest to God. And, yes, living like He intended. Hope I have the pleasure of meeting you :-)

Siarl
03-06-2014, 02:45
Should I wait and purchase the At Trail Guide or whatever it's called, when the version for 2015 comes out or purchase it now and plan the hike using the 2014 edition? What have others done regarding this?

wtrenda
03-06-2014, 02:53
Should I wait and purchase the At Trail Guide or whatever it's called, when the version for 2015 comes out or purchase it now and plan the hike using the 2014 edition? What have others done regarding this?

I've been reading through the 2013 version and will purchase this year's to see if there are any major changes and will buy the 2015 one as soon as I can to use on the trail... it may be overkill but if others say there's no need to get the most updated, then I probably won't.

Siarl
03-07-2014, 01:13
I've been reading through the 2013 version and will purchase this year's to see if there are any major changes and will buy the 2015 one as soon as I can to use on the trail... it may be overkill but if others say there's no need to get the most updated, then I probably won't.

Gotcha. Good advice.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-07-2014, 08:10

I've doing the same thing. Using the 2013 version to make a preliminary plan of what shelters/where to stop, noting water sources., shelters etc. A former thru-hiker, Serial, has written a couple of great articles covering points of interests, places to see and stay. Going to include notes from his article as well. Happy planning :-)

Dahoyt
03-07-2014, 15:37
Dahoyt here... I am joining the Class of 2015. Was planning on going SOBO this June but decided to stick to going NOBO like I have always wanted to. I have tons of experience, live only a few miles from the LT / AT in Vermont. Been hiking for almost 11 years. Another upswing to waiting and going NOBO next spring ( I plan on being on the trail by mid to late February), is I get to take more time to get better gear, and save more money. I wanna have 6,000 for the trail and 2,000 to live off of when I get home. Bummed I have to wait longer but know it will be well worth it in the end. I wanna take my time, have ample money to enjoy myself, and have the adventure of a lifetime..

lonehiker
03-07-2014, 17:52

Wait to purchase the 2015 edition. At most, all the planning you really need to do is to download, and read, Mr. Tarlin's re-supply articles.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-07-2014, 21:54
Hey Dahoyt, you are the brave, ambitious one starting in February! Will be keeping my fingers crossed for a milder winter for you. Although being from Vermont it might not matter to you as much as it would me. Sounds like you've got your financial game plan all worked. Like you I had originally planned to head out this year but needed to tend to some other things first. I didn't want to be on the trail wondering what about this and what about that. So, getting this and that all tied up in preparation for what I hope is the beginning of some new adventures. Will be looking for your entries in the registers :-)

by the by, thanks for starting the intro thread !! Great idea!!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-07-2014, 21:56
Hey LoneHiker, tell us more about this Mr Tarlin and his resupply list please :-)

lonehiker
03-08-2014, 02:15
Hey LoneHiker, tell us more about this Mr Tarlin and his resupply list please :-)

click Home/Articles tab up top. Then select AT re-supply articles. If I remember right there are 5 articles (sections).

Dahoyt
03-08-2014, 11:29
2015 Lady Thru-Hiker, your welcome for starting the into thread, figured it would help get everyone acquainted. Yeah, being from Vermont, I camp on the LT /AT year round even in the dead of winter, so I am quite used to the cold weather. I do hope for a mild winter coming up so I could start in February. I am on the fence though, I might hang out and make it to the ATKO, to get the full experience, soak it in, and be in the hiker bubble. I wanna see the sights, take everything in, take my time, have a awesome time, and really enjoy the experience. Hence why I opted out of going SOBO, as SOBO's are more alone, there's really no bubble, and it's more of an introvert experience. Maybe after I go NOBO and experience it that way, I'll go SOBO sometime down the road, my goal first though is to get the Triple Crown. The best part of waiting a little longer is being able to save even more money, I don't wanna be one of the hikers that runs out and has to bail... ****ty part is I work at a gas station, and was looking forward to being done with customer service, but it's definitely worth waiting a little longer... So excited to meet everyone...

sfdoc
03-08-2014, 14:09
I too am planning on a 2015 thru. I'm seriously thinking of doing the Pinhoti starting early March and then continuing on the at after the small stretch of the BMT. Hope to see you all there.

Treybien
03-11-2014, 12:13
386 days...is this really happening? Indeed it is. I've only begun some initial gear shakedown, I own most everything that I am going to need. Fortunately I will only need some minor upgrades to my equipment desires. Looking forward to the year ahead as a things being to coalesce into something that looks like plan, if only a rudimentary one. Things change. Habits form. Desires evolve. To the Class of 2015 -be well!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-12-2014, 00:23
Wow sfdoc! Sounds like an ambitious plan :-). Will you be picking up the pinhoti in alabama or at some other point? Will you be doing the BMT to where it intersects the AT at Fontana I think it is? How long do you think it will take you to finish the trail? And how many miles will that be total? You will have to keep us informed when the time comes as to your progress.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-12-2014, 00:42
Treybein, I understand your excitement. The 5th marked a year to the date when I plan to start walking from the arch, up the stairs of the falls to the lodge for the ATKO. The 9th marked the day that I intend to begin my journey down the trail. When I think about it my whole body starts to vibrate with excitement. I still have a long way to go with my clothing and gear. Rethinking some of the things I have already bought based on the feedback I have gotten from the good folks in here. Some I might change and some I might keep the same. While I am walking for adventure I intend to do so with at least a modicum of comfort, so I might be willing to carry a little extra weight, though I will keep an eye on the overall picture. Not to be too cliche but looking forward to getting lost to find myself and freeing myself. To open up a new way of thinking and being. A heck of thing at my age but better late than never :) Looking forward to it! See you out there.

Aussie Legs
03-24-2014, 06:08
Hi everybody!!
Less than a year to go hey :D Very excited to be slowly getting everything organised... It still feels like a life time away though!!
My biggest fear is the cold weather and blisters.... :s
And bears... haha

vagabondphotographer
03-24-2014, 09:27
I was thinking of bringing a simple polaroid camera but I feel weird not bringing one of my DSLRs.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-24-2014, 23:06
Hey Aussie Legs!! Welcome to our steadily growing group :-) Funny how one day it seems so far away and the very next day you wonder if you will be ready in time. In reality though there is plenty of time for us to figure out how we will address each challenge....whether blustery weather, blisters or bears :-) hoping to have the opportunity to meet you!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-24-2014, 23:11
Vagabond ...I understand. The thought of leaving my 7D behind seems like such a waste!! But being practical with regard to the extra weight I will probably try to find something in between. Haven't figured it out yet. Can't wait to see some of your work:-) do you have some accessible online?

cthomasy
03-27-2014, 19:25
Hi guys!! I will be starting my thru-hike on March 1st like some you! It seams so far away but so close. You all seam like really cool people and I can't wait to meat you guys in person! Woohoo class of 2015!!! :D

Dahoyt
03-27-2014, 19:51
I too will be at ATKO Lady Thru-Hiker, excited to meet you... Hope many of us 15ers go to ATKO so I already have friends starting the trail!

Dahoyt
03-27-2014, 19:51
You should wait four days and go to the ATKO with the rest of us, get acquainted...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-27-2014, 22:16
I too will be at ATKO Lady Thru-Hiker, excited to meet you... Hope many of us 15ers go to ATKO so I already have friends starting the trail!

Yay Dahoyt!! That's exciting news!! I know that you can camp or reserve a room or cabin during the Kick-off. I am planning to reserve a room but will keep an open mind about possibly tenting if the weather's not too fierce. I know that some may see that the same as the approach trail: ie: "what's 8 more miles to 2200" logic. But, I figure no sense in not taking advantage when you can. But we'll see how it plays out. By the way, the Dahoyt = D A Hoyt?? Asking cause I grew up with some Hoyts that moved north when I was young and you are the same age as my kids. So thought maybe ....

Dahoyt
03-28-2014, 14:30
No. Growing up it was spray painted on an underpass in the next town over from me, and I have always obsessed over with word for some reason. So few years ago, had a friend start calling me that when we would go out hiking on the Long Trail, and I decided to keep it as my trail name... Been that was for three years, and since I have yet to meet someone else with the same trail name, and I love it, I'll keep it forever...

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-28-2014, 18:49
I like it and the story that go with it! hope I will get to see what a Dahoyt looks like come next year :-)

Dahoyt
03-29-2014, 11:08
Oh I'm sure you'll get to see what a Dahoyt looks like at Kickoff, I'll probably be the only tall, lanky, New England accented person at Kickoff haha. I'll probably stick of like a sore thumb.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-30-2014, 17:09
Okay, so is it just me?? I find that as I read and prepare for next year that I am beginning to look at things in my current day life differently. I find that I am not only looking to lighten the load as I review my gear and plan future purchases but am all of the sudden feeling free to do the same thing in my everyday life. Suddenly I am willing to throw away things I once felt were essential to keep. And looking to minimize and dualize stuff. It really is quite liberating for someone who holds to stuff just in case I might need it someday. (of course I never do) It really sad. Some of this stuff I have lugged through 8 different moves. Man, I should have committed to doing this sooner :D

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-30-2014, 17:11
I am so looking forward to that!! I don't know how you're planning things out but I am hoping to do Trail Days too. While I will not allow myself to think this will be the only time I get out and do this I do want to take advantage of all that I can.

Dahoyt
03-31-2014, 13:03
I hear ya, past few years I have been selling stuff and throwing junk away quite a bit. For being 24, I have amassed quite a lot of stuff... It's liberating. And I'm starting to get in shape now, so I won't be paying for it when I start the trail...

Boots and Backpacks
03-31-2014, 15:31
My wife and I will begin our thru-hike on December 31, 2014. We're expecting to see a few other brave souls out there, but not many. We're excited about getting started in the winter. There is nothing better than hiking on a crisp cold day!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
03-31-2014, 16:31
Wow!! You guys are surely ambitious. I certainly wish you well with that and will look forward to hear how you are getting along that early in the season. Do you have a lot of experience hiking in the cold and snow??

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 12:30
I am only slightly nervous about going solo, but my family is freaking out! I know that I will not be alone. If I could find someone as dedicated to this adventure as I am then there wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't anyone that I know of that would be. I too like the fact that I can be able to recognize some familiar "faces" and stories. I cant wait to grow and prepare with this class as we all prepare for what is to come.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 12:37
Wow!! You guys are surely ambitious. I certainly wish you well with that and will look forward to hear how you are getting along that early in the season. Do you have a lot of experience hiking in the cold and snow??

Yes we do! We're fairly aware of the task at hand by starting so early. We're going to enjoy the quietness of the trail, the views, the cold, and hopefully the SNOW! We're already section hiked a lot of the trail to Hot Springs, and know how hard the terrain can be with snow. We've spend the last 7 years backpacking for a week at a time around New Years. At times we're had 18" dropped on us, single digit temperatures, and even days that were in the 60's. We're coming prepared for the cold, and will be plenty warm at night. Once the weather starts to turn, we'll slowly send our cold weather gear home. Replacing it with warmer weather gear, and reducing some much needed weight.

Dahoyt
04-01-2014, 12:37
Welcome to WB CaityJ. Glad your here. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. I'm starting from ATKO and leaving from there, assuming its on the same date that puts me on the trail March 8thish.

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 12:50
Welcome to WB CaityJ. Glad your here. Maybe we will cross paths along the way. I'm starting from ATKO and leaving from there, assuming its on the same date that puts me on the trail March 8thish.

Hey! You're going to be a few weeks ahead of me. I have to finish my last classes of my MPA and then I will start. I wish I could hit the ground the day I finish, but if I wait my current job will pay me $2,568 back on my student loan and then I can put in my 2 week notice. I hate being politically correct!

So are you NOBO so you can end closer to home?

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 13:03
So are you NOBO so you can end closer to home?

Starting this time of the year everyone is NOBO. Most SOBO hikers don't leave until June or even July due to snow up north.

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 13:34
Starting this time of the year everyone is NOBO. Most SOBO hikers don't leave until June or even July due to snow up north.

That wasn't my question to Dahoyt, but thanks! Just curious why he chose NOBO over SOBO being as he is in the north.

Boots and Backpacks
04-01-2014, 14:27
That wasn't my question to Dahoyt, but thanks! Just curious why he chose NOBO over SOBO being as he is in the north.

I must have missed the part where you asked about being SOBO.

CaityJ
04-01-2014, 16:24
I must have missed the part where you asked about being SOBO.

Oh no :) I knew he was NOBO because of the thread he started about our ice breaker introduction stuff :)

chathamrabbit
04-01-2014, 22:45
Am planning to be a member of the class of 2015, as well. I am retired teacher and have wanted to do this for several years. Still in the planning stage, but have a friend that is planning on going with me. It has been a lot of fun thus far, just learning as much as I can. This thread has already been much help. Thanks.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-01-2014, 23:15
I am only slightly nervous about going solo, but my family is freaking out! I know that I will not be alone. If I could find someone as dedicated to this adventure as I am then there wouldn't be a problem, but there isn't anyone that I know of that would be. I too like the fact that I can be able to recognize some familiar "faces" and stories. I cant wait to grow and prepare with this class as we all prepare for what is to come.

Welcome aboard CaityJ! It is so exciting each time a new name is added to our group. Like you going solo. And, like you, my family is way more nervous about than I am. Of course, they haven't the advantage of getting on here and "seeing" the community of people we will out there with. And I understand the problem of having someone within your own circle that is like-minded enough to want to do this. My kids are supportive but still think I'm "a lit' touched in the head" for wanting to do this. I do find comfort in knowing that everyone will not be total strangers out there! Happy hiking and I hope will we cross paths .

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-01-2014, 23:20
Am planning to be a member of the class of 2015, as well. I am retired teacher and have wanted to do this for several years. Still in the planning stage, but have a friend that is planning on going with me. It has been a lot of fun thus far, just learning as much as I can. This thread has already been much help. Thanks.

Chathamrabbit! Hey! It's about time we started living our dream right ?? And the planning is a lot of fun. This place is such a valuable resource and I am learning so much. Look forward to hearing more about your plans as we wait through the upcoming year.

Julio
04-02-2014, 20:00
Hey Lady, It's funny that you mentioned minimalizing. Since I committed to making this trip I've done the same. Being in construction I save so much stuff it's ridiculous. I recently took 3 truckloads of stuff to the dump and given away another two. I've been to 2 yard sale markets and sold a bunch, I mean who in their right mind has 14 hammers, for real! I've also packed up and labeled tons of things I was holding for my daughters.It is quite liberating! I still have a long way to go but at least my pack looks sorta ready. See ya soon.

CHRISTINE2015
04-04-2014, 14:57
Minimizing my regular life is just as exciting as getting new gear :) When I leave Little Rock in March 2015 I will be leaving my sleep number bed at my parents house and about 6 boxes. (I have been told that this is all the room I have in the garage). So I basically have a year to empty my 1 bedroom apartment, which is giving me the super fun opportunity to give things to people as I see their needs!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-08-2014, 22:52
Woohoo!! 11 months and a wake up to go!!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
04-17-2014, 23:49
Did about 12 miles last weekend hiking some of the trails around Lake Minnewaska in NY. This time I weighed my pack before hand and it came it at 34 pounds, plus I carried a canon 7D around my neck (the camera will not be making the trip, just wanted to be able to take some pictures and I am glad I had it with me. very pretty place) so add another 5 pounds with the lens. All in all I think it went pretty good. Hiked with fellow 2015er, Julio. He can set a pretty good pace. I think he calculated us doing a little more than 3 mph on a trail where the gain was about 300 feet in a mile. Not sure what percent an incline that is. I do know that we did a trail that was posted with a 32% incline over 0.9 miles. I actually did better with that one, which was a little more rocky and broken up then the one where it was straight path with an incline, so nothing to break up the stride. The pace on the straight path finally started working on my asthma and I struggled at maintaining my breathing so had to ask to slow down and sometimes even stop. Repeat hikes won't cure my breathing problem but they will help build up my endurance, so will keep working on it. Ended up with blisters on both feet this week (last week only on the right foot). The one of the right foot i understand because it is right on the ball of the foot but the one of the left has me stumped because it is also between 2 toes - strange. If anyone has any thoughts about it let me know. Definitely will be trying some wool socks because the cotton blends are doing it and see it that helps and need to start carrying moleskin. Physically though very little sorenes or stiffness in the days following.
A little more concerned about weights now because while I had 2 liters of water and some food I did not have any clothing or miscellaneous items included in that 34 lbs :( Really didn't expect the pack to weigh as much as it did without any of that added. One thing I realized I keep forgetting to take with me is my epi-pens. It would really suck to get stung by a bee or ground wasp miles from help and not have it handy. Need to get a script for an extra one just to keep in my pack so I don't have to remember to transfer from handbag to backpack. Can't wait to get out and do it again.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-05-2014, 23:11
Well, did my first overnighter with the new tent. Found out its a whole lot harder to set up with a good breeze blowing so need to practice, practice, practice. Same thing with getting it down in the morning . A challenge with the wind. Overall like the tent - copper spur ul1. Seemed very small at first. But then I am used to sleeping in something 6X6 by myself so this was a change. But once I got everything situated it was fine. Was able to bring pack in and still have some room. With regard to set up was aiming for being able to keep footprint and rainfly together, lay it out, slid pole under rainfly and set it up while still keeping the "inside" dry in the event of setting up in the rain. Sounds good in theory and works great in the living room and with no wind but not as good as I hoped when there is wind. Any tips for making this work the way it does in my head?

ChuckT
05-06-2014, 05:01
Can you spread it out and peg down one (upwind?) side before you slide pole under fky?

Sent from my Samsung Note 3 using Tapatalk.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-06-2014, 19:33
That what I was trying to do. Staked out the four corners first (once I figured that the wind wasn't going to leave it lying down long enough to get the pole under. Didn't know if possible to stake out vestibule / side of tent too or if that is too much?

Speakeasy TN
05-13-2014, 20:15
I'll just go ahead and make the wait even harder!

It's going to be better than you think! I covered 300 miles in '11 before aborting due to a death in the family. I got a taste of everything.....snow, sunburn, rain, missed water holes and cant wait to go back.

I'll offer one piece of advice . Go read a TrailJournal I can say that my planning was fun but LARGELY pointless. Be ready to adjust on the fly. Just tons of little stuff. You will send stuff home and you will forget something. I passed off my sunscreen to a kid from Minnesota who was sunburned ON DAY 3. None of this means you did anything wrong. You'll be fine because we're in this together.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-14-2014, 23:23
Thanks for the encouragement lamarr. I know it gets often but one of the things I looking forward to the most is the people I'm going to meet. Right now just focused on sorting out what I can to increase my chances to get from point S to point K knowing adjustments will have to be made along the way. Never hurts to hear it said though.

Speakeasy TN
05-16-2014, 12:35
I hope everything is going well. I'm headed out to Trail Days to really get my fire stoked up! I even put the tent up in the living room today just for old times sake! I'm really enjoying the feeling of everyone getting ready. EVEN BETTER THAN YOU THINK!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-16-2014, 22:04
If I had known I would be laid up with a broke wrist I might have made plans to go :( Enjoy!!

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
05-17-2014, 11:03
Seeing pictures on FB lamarr. Jealous beyond words !!

lordwilliam
05-17-2014, 15:37
Plop! Another one in the pool.
I started walking a year ago to lose weight. I was at 240 and now around 200. Still want to lose about 15 more. So I have walked around 2,800,000 steps so far. Admittedly I have not been completely dedicated to daily walking.
I decided to do the AT because I lived by part of the trail in NJ and always was intrigued by the mystique. I also want to do it in memory of my beautiful wife who was so active and full of life until MS took it away. She was a singer, actor, dancer, personal trainer and professional body builder in NYC. She set me on the path of fitness and healthy lifestyle. Even with the MS she never gave up. I also get bored walking the same route day after day or around the mall. One of my Bucket list items is to climb Kilimanjaro, so I need to get in shape.
I started the training process yesterday. Here is my first journal entry.
Training Day 1:My Horoscope for May 16, 2014; Libra (http://hsrd.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LEfsr9wHZTzUMAb6mbvZx4/RV=1/RE=1401501182/RH=aHNyZC55YWhvby5jb20-/RO=2/RU=aHR0cHM6Ly9zaGluZS55YWhvby5jb20vaG9yb3Njb3BlL2x pYnJhL292ZXJ2aWV3LWRhaWx5LTIwMTQwNTE2Lmh0bWw-/RS=%5EADAqDblaaGn63zlz2q0Ht1oTxrTlNs-) 9/23-10/22Exploration suits you just fine today -- so get out there and take in new sights and sounds! You are likely to discover the next big thing, or at least your next new obsession.

Today I decided to walk to the grocery store. The nearest one to my house, it is only 7.5 miles each way. After all I have been walking an average of about 4 miles a day for the last year and I am in decent shape. I put on what I thought were my best walking shoes (turns out not so much) and set out. Start time 1:45 PM. Starting temp 69 degrees. I just got back home 7:35 PM. Present temp 45 degrees. OK it is Colorado. Along the way I encountered 5’ deep snow drifts across the trail, ankle deep mud in a couple of spots and some really cute Alpacas that walked along their field beside me. Oh, it also rained a little. When I got to the store was exhausted. I bought some lunch and considered calling my neighbor to come pick me up. Then I thought about the commitment required to hike 2200 miles and the commitment I made today to walk to the store and back. I set out for home at 4:10 PM. I should mention that the trail/road to the store is downhill most of the way which means the trail home is mostly up hill. Not a bad day all in all. No blisters, bites, scrapes or cuts and not broken bones. Time now for Epsom Salts and the whirlpool bath then some dinner, Alive and bed.

Before I read your posts I already started making a spreadsheet of equipment. Things I included are: Item name, Item Brand, Store/Source, Item Weight, Acquired, Details.

Looks like most of the folks here are from the eastern side. Anyone who wants to come hike in Colorado is welcome to stay with me, at least until I sell my house. I have 4 extra BR. We could get in some nice hikes on the Colorado Trail for practice.

Speakeasy TN
05-19-2014, 18:43
Welcome Lordwilliam
I admire your dedication. I unfortunately decided to go another route and am nursing bruised ribs. The wife an I were in Damascus this weekend for Trail Days. The restaurant we were headed to was 1/4 mile away. When I said "That's too far to walk" thunk....... I'll live.

Siarl
05-22-2014, 21:41
I'm so excited about the trail. I've purchased some equipment so far and the thing I have to keep telling myself is 'watch the weight'. I saw this sleeping bag I really, really, I mean really like. so I bought it. It's supposed to be here tomorrow. It's from (I'm cringing from the expected back lash) Sierra Designs, Backcountry Bed 600. I know it weighs 3lbs 1oz but that's good isn't it? So far it's the only thing I've purchased from the big three. At this point I'm really doubting whether I can make it this year but I'm still planning and purchasing as if it's going to happen. I'm trying to make sure I'm saving for the bills that will have to be paid while I'm gone and that is what may derail it until 2016. But it may work out. I still and in like with the sleeping bag. I've planned for train trip to Springer Mt. and tentative plans for the return trip from Mt. Kitahdin.

Sclark9082
06-16-2014, 13:18
Awesome!!! and I completely understand the hardest part is just waiting for the "start" time to arrive. Been planning and prepping my hike since mid-2012. I've put it off for 30 plus years. Kids grown, house is empty and spouse agree's. Do it now and wait no longer. My start time will be first week of April '15. Work has been understanding thus far. Wish you the best on your journey.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
06-22-2014, 21:50
Just finished working a job in NY, where I was able to enjoy some wonderful hikes - look forward to seeing it again next year. In the meantime I just moved to Nellysford VA. Getting settled in this weekend and then I am interested in getting together with anyone from the area for some hiking and possible overnighters over the course of the summer and fall.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-05-2014, 20:09
So, down to 8 months before I head to Georgia. The 2015 ATKO is the 6th-8th and I plan to hang out for that, then head to Springer on the morning of the 9th. Still working on getting all my gear together using all the great information I am learning here in WB. Getting some practice hikes in along with some overnighters, both solo and with others.

Looks like a great class is shaping up for 2015. I enjoy reading about everyone's plans and am learning so much from their questions. I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!

Venchka
07-06-2014, 08:39
"I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!"

The more the merrier. You all can huddle together and keep warm.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-06-2014, 11:35
"I am excited to see so many hikers planning to start in early March as well. I can't wait to meet some of you. Hurry up March 2015!!"

The more the merrier. You all can huddle together and keep warm.

Wayne

I ran into a 2014 thru couple at a restaurant outside Warwick NY last month. They left March 8th. They said it wasn't that bad.

Venchka
07-06-2014, 18:19
I ran into a 2014 thru couple at a restaurant outside Warwick NY last month. They left March 8th. They said it wasn't that bad.

Perhaps they were lucky. It can be much worse. Read Trilliam's (spelling?) account in her Trail Journal of some nasty weather.

Wayne

Venchka
07-06-2014, 18:27
That should have been Trillium's 2014 Trail Journal started ~March 1, 2014.

Wayne

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-06-2014, 20:05
That should have been Trillium's 2014 Trail Journal started ~March 1, 2014.

Wayne

The Trillium I found started February 23th and from her picture I swear by all I know that I passed her hiking up to Pinwheel Vista outside Venon just off route 94. I passed a hiker by the name of Shakespeake (1 of 2 on the trail this year from what he told me). Stopped him long enough to give him all the Clif bars and trailmix I had left in my pack, wishing I had carried more stuff up with me. Very nice young man. She came up about 20 minutes after him. Seemed very focused so I didn't disturb her. Then past the pasture but before the beginning of the boardwalk area I passed another young man who commented on my dedication because I was hiking with a cast on my arm. It does sound like she ran into some difficulties when her bag and underquilt got wet after her tarp got loose during some cold rain. I am glad that turned out okay for her. Her entries end in NY back in early June. Do you know if she is still on the trail?

Venchka
07-06-2014, 20:14
Yes, she is the young lady who had a bit of bother early on but kept going. I was close, ~ March 1. Hard to follow exact dates on my phone.

Wayne

Caddywhompus
07-07-2014, 00:42
I plan on leaving the first week of March as well. One thing about the cold is you can always bring enough clothes with you to stay warm. The heat well thats going to be another story.

Nonfiction
07-07-2014, 05:43
The wife & I will also be starting our NOBO the second week of March. We will be leaving our hometown in Indiana (for good), Feb 1st & heading out West for a month long road trip, then headed down to meet you fine folks in March. So pumped to start this journey!

Btw: Nic & Jess be our names....

SawnieRobertson
07-07-2014, 09:29
Y'all are getting those juices going inside of me. I know that the 81 figure tells you that I am just ignoring facts; however, I have not found age itself to be an obstacle. We know so much today that we did not know in our "yesterdays." I am giving my whole heart to getting into shape for taking the long hike next year (2015). That requires attending to my fitness from all directions like body weight, LBM building, balance, flexibility, etc. Will I be ready March 1? Do I even want to be out there at that time? (I shuttle upon occasion and have heard those who were caught in heavy, deep snows of the GSMNP portion of our trail. My impression has been that they had pretty well exhausted their drive even though they kept on trekking on up into Virginia.) I will hold back until +/- St. Patricks Day. We'll see how "climate change" is doing then. In the meantime I am looking into hiking Massachusetts into The Gathering (of folks like us) in October after the mosquitoes have moved on. It's a fairly easy but beautiful hike especially in autumn. And the camaraderie and information shared at The Gathering prevents too much of the winter blues while awaiting good ole March to begin the march. That's my plan.

dangerdave
07-07-2014, 11:55
Robertson, you are my inspiration. At 51yo, I fall into the "just retired" group. I was planning on heading NOBO on April 1st (seemed appropriate), but I'm going to bump that up so I can meet more of you en route. ATKO 2015 sounds like fun! I like the idea of having more time to hike the AT, maybe hit some zero days in some really cool places along the way.

So, it's Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge on March 6th (right?) and on the trail to Maine soon after. My preparation so far includes sorting through what I have (most of likely too heavy) and figuring out what to replace before next March. I'm retiring (officially) in early January 2015---so excited out that after 28 years as a firefighter/paramedic---then stepping off on the AT soon after.

So much to look forward to, and nothing to do but piddle with my gear...and wait. Note: firemen are very good at that!

SawnieRobertson
07-07-2014, 12:28
ATKO 2015 sounds like fun! I like the idea of having more time to hike the AT, maybe hit some zero days in some really cool places along the way. . . .[/COLOR]So much to look forward to, and nothing to do but piddle with my gear...and wait. Note: firemen are very good at that!

Maybe hit some zero days? I think that you will really enjoy, from what you have said, visiting the towns and hostels until diving into them stops being imperative. In your prep set aside lots and lots of dollars to allow you to do that without feeling that you are going way beyond budget. And, yes, you have to be very good at waiting. When you respond though, you find other people now waiting nervously and so glad you have arrived.
Even though you are a paramedic, you might enjoy a SOLO Wilderness-EMT class. One of the members of my class at NOC (save $$$$ for that one) was a just-retired Navy SEAL He was able to add information about decompression, for instance. Glad to know that you will be out there in 2015.

dangerdave
07-07-2014, 13:31
I'm anticipating finding some spots along the trail---in the wilderness---that I might want to experience for an extra day. I don't think zeroing has to be in a town or hostel. I think it will all be great!

I hope we meet on the trail, Mr. Robertson. I want to walk a while with you.

Mike415
07-07-2014, 18:51
i too am planning to go novo april 1 or april 15. just had second knee replaced so i have two good tires to make it. i am still recuperating but did one last year and came back full strength and feel this one is easier. i spent a bundle on gear at rei sale this spring and hope that i can keep pack less water and food at 15 to 18 lbs. I am close now but probably need to go to final reduction in next several months. i have been looking at trail and trying to time mail which is a tricky business. I don't expect to start fast but I expect to need replenishment (other than food) about once a month as i settle on gear i really need and adapt to hotter temperatures and bugs. Lots to keep me occupied while i stretch my quads and try to gain muscle mass.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-07-2014, 23:51
The more the merrier. You all can huddle together and keep warm. .

V, I am not crazy about the cold but I know I'll do better with it than the heat. The heat really jacks my breathing up so want to try and stay ahead if it as much as possible. That being said I am trying to do what I can to be well prepared for cold without packing on too much weight. Trying to strategize and think "what will I do if...." I know that stats show that those that start earlier and carry heavier packs are less likely to reach Katahdin. I want to climb that mountain so bad that I want to do everything I can to make sure I get there from a March leave date. Think positive thoughts for me V

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-08-2014, 00:04
Robertson, you are my inspiration. At 51yo, I fall into the "just retired" group. I was planning on heading NOBO on April 1st (seemed appropriate), but I'm going to bump that up so I can meet more of you en route. ATKO 2015 sounds like fun! ............So, it's [COLOR=#333333]Amicalola Falls State Park Lodge on March 6th (right?) and on the trail to Maine soon after !

Danger I am so excited you want to do the Kick Off. I figure it will be a great opportunity for someone as inexperienced as myself to get some last minute tips and guidance from people who have "been there done that" especially with regards to pack contends. To me, like doing the approach trail, it's all part of the total package. I refuse to think this is the only time, or the only one, but it is the first and I want to experience every bit that I can. Look forward to seeing you there!

Caddywhompus
07-08-2014, 15:23
Danger I am so excited you want to do the Kick Off. I figure it will be a great opportunity for someone as inexperienced as myself to get some last minute tips and guidance from people who have "been there done that" especially with regards to pack contends. To me, like doing the approach trail, it's all part of the total package. I refuse to think this is the only time, or the only one, but it is the first and I want to experience every bit that I can. Look forward to seeing you there!

I'm going to be at Springer for the Kick Off as well. Seems like a natural time to start my thru. Hope to see a lot of you there.

skinnbones
07-08-2014, 15:36
I sure hope to join you. Thought I had everything in place, but have a few more hurdles to clear. Unlike you who tried to keep hike hidden, I have talked about this hike for over 30 years. I'm sure family and friends are sick of hearing about it, lol. Best of luck and hope to be part of class of 2015.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-08-2014, 19:31
Caddywhompus, so happy to hear you will be there too!! I have learned so much reading everyone's entries and the responses to your questions of those who have gone before us. I so look forward to putting faces with names and hope to create memories and forge friendships with those of you I meet along the way.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-08-2014, 19:35
I sure hope to join you. Thought I had everything in place, but have a few more hurdles to clear. Unlike you who tried to keep hike hidden, I have talked about this hike for over 30 years. I'm sure family and friends are sick of hearing about it, lol. Best of luck and hope to be part of class of 2015.

I sure hope you will be there with us too. What a great group we would have to start the season off! Hope your hurdles fall easily and clear the way for you to be there come March. It would make for a wonderful start.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-26-2014, 17:33
Just scored a western mountaineering hooded aspen MF. You could feel the difference in the loft between it and the zissou 12 I was going to take. Plus I loss 10 oz!! Makes me feel better about sticking with my long xtherm. That brings the weight of my big 4 down to 9lb 4ozs. If I can just bring myself to switch my pack to something lighter.....

dangerdave
07-28-2014, 13:26
Ha'ha! Gram weenie! :)

Mike415
07-28-2014, 17:08
I will be leaving April 1 or April 15. Have most of my gear...I hope...been working on resupply points and what to send. Because I have just had a knee replaced (my second knee).....so my name I am thinking appropriate is TIN Man. Hard training starts on September 15 ...I am looking forward to meeting some of you in person.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-28-2014, 22:08
Ha'ha! Gram weenie! :)

Not at all danger. The weight I'm saving will go to FOOD!!

dangerdave
07-29-2014, 11:11
FOOD: a worthy cause!

Good point, Lady.

Wülfgang
07-29-2014, 12:51
Not sure why so many are starting in cold March...I assume the camaraderie.

I also notice most folks (at least the ones posting in this subforum) are either over 50 or under 25.

I feel a bit of an anomaly at 32, and to be starting in mid-April. Like others I am excited to meet folks on the trail, but I am going into it with the assumption that it is a solo venture and I cannot rely on hiking with any number of people for the majority of the trip. I figure if I do, it's a bonus. People will drop out, hike slower, faster, etc. Need to be self-reliant.

Planning is FUN (especially the gear), but I have a hunch it will be a mistake to plan too much. Once you have all your basic gear down, your finances in order, and you are in reasonable shape, I think it's best to go into it without too many expectations and let the trail take on a life of its own. It's like that old boxing maxim: Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. ;)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-29-2014, 14:18
I'm not crazy about the cold Wulfgang but I fare better in the cold than the heat. Hoping I'll be able to beat most of it by leaving a little early. Plus I'm not planning any speed records and I know a lot of folks along the way. Mostly I just plan to enjoy as much as I can along the way. We'll see how it goes.

Best of luck to you on your hike. And who knows, maybe we'll meet somewhere along the way!

By the by, that's a great maxim :)

Wülfgang
07-29-2014, 15:46
Sounds great. Personally I'd rather deal with the heat!! We all have our limits I guess.

fernbeetle
07-29-2014, 15:54
I did a thru hike in 2011,nobo. The resounding thought in my head was I will never do it again. Once on Katahdin I so wanted to turn back and hike sobo. Well the latter feeling has now won out. March 1, I start nobo for a yo-yo hike.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
07-29-2014, 16:00
I did a thru hike in 2011,nobo. The resounding thought in my head was I will never do it again. Once on Katahdin I so wanted to turn back and hike sobo. Well the latter feeling has now won out. March 1, I start nobo for a yo-yo hike.

I have already started to wonder what I will be thinking/feeling when I get there and one of thoughts I have is willing I simply want to turn around and go south? I don't know. Guess I'll have to wait and see. In the meantime I am SO excited for you fernbeetle! Hope we'll meet by some chance. Good luck to you!

dangerdave
07-29-2014, 19:08
I love hearing everyone's tales. Thanks for sharing.

Me, I'm one of those crazy few who like winter, snow, cold. I'd much rather shovel snow in a blizzard than roast in the sun on a hot day. I can't pass up the experience of camping in the GSMNP in winter. I hope it snows, certainly!

I hope to hit the heat farther north and avoid the worst of it.

Del Q
07-29-2014, 20:29
Go Light!

Not passing judgment but thru hikers weighing in at Uncle Johnnies were 37-48 pounds that day, I was a bit surprised at the high pack weights heading North.

My Plan is to complete the Southern sections by Mid April 2015..........would be amazing to meet back up with thru hikers in NH/ME for my section hike completion in the Fall

Wülfgang
07-30-2014, 11:42
Go Light!

Not passing judgment but thru hikers weighing in at Uncle Johnnies were 37-48 pounds that day, I was a bit surprised at the high pack weights heading North.

I cant believe that. There is no reason your pack should weight more than 30 pound fully loaded with 5 days' food, unless you really just like those camp comforts and are willing to lug the pounds.

Lightweight gear is so accessible today that anyone who can afford to thru hike can afford to go light. Like you said, not passing judgment, I could really care less what someone else's pack weighs....just crazy to me that we still see those weights today.

dangerdave
07-30-2014, 15:36
Yea, I can't imagine starting out not knowing how much you are carrying, or thinking that a 40+ pound pack will do. Makes my feet hurt just thinkin' about it!

Mulungu
08-28-2014, 16:12
Hello all
hiked springer to harpers ferry in 2013 and now hope to return to USA to hike to Kathadin. So far the plans are coming together nicely.. Hope to see you all on the trail.
greetings from Cape Town South Africa.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-02-2014, 13:52
Hello all
hiked springer to harpers ferry in 2013 and now hope to return to USA to hike to Kathadin. So far the plans are coming together nicely.. Hope to see you all on the trail.
greetings from Cape Town South Africa.

Our class is looking very international! I love it! Truly am hoping I will get to meet so many of you all :)

jjozgrunt
09-02-2014, 18:14
Just found this thread. G'day everyone, Jim or Moose from Brisbane Australia, I'll be one of the international hikers to join you next year. Start date 13th March but may be earlier as I hit Atlanta on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing some of you and many more on the trail.

Just started a new thread on the base weight of the big 4, to see what people are carrying and maybe give some people an idea of whats out there. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?106096-Your-big-4-for-the-AT&p=1905183#post1905183

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
09-02-2014, 20:20
Just found this thread. G'day everyone, Jim or Moose from Brisbane Australia, I'll be one of the international hikers to join you next year. Start date 13th March but may be earlier as I hit Atlanta on the 9th. Looking forward to seeing some of you and many more on the trail.

Just started a new thread on the base weight of the big 4, to see what people are carrying and maybe give some people an idea of whats out there. http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?106096-Your-big-4-for-the-AT&p=1905183#post1905183

I just saw your thread. Looking at my weights I'm feeling a little like Super Woman right now with what I'm carrying :)

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
12-29-2014, 00:53
I grow impatient. The waiting is killing me!! And now it looks like I will have to wait another month while recovering from surgery. So, unless I decide to slack pack for the first full month to stay within the weight restriction set by my surgeon, looks like I will be an April Fool and celebrate my birthday on Springer instead of by eating BBQ at Hartford TN. Either way my heart races at the thought.

Jeff
12-29-2014, 08:13
I grow impatient. The waiting is killing me!! And now it looks like I will have to wait another month while recovering from surgery. So, unless I decide to slack pack for the first full month to stay within the weight restriction set by my surgeon, looks like I will be an April Fool and celebrate my birthday on Springer instead of by eating BBQ at Hartford TN. Either way my heart races at the thought.

Could be a blessing in disguise !!!

Pajj
01-09-2015, 11:35
Only 50 more days until Mar. 1 :)