PDA

View Full Version : Finding White Blazes in the Snow

Ehaim
02-11-2014, 19:18
Hey everyone,

I'm planning a NOBO thru hike for mid March and was wondering how hard it typically is to find the white blazes in the snow. I'm from Florida so the only thing I know about snow is that it's cold and it's white. Since blazes and snow share the same hue, I figure this may pose a problem to a greenhorn hiker like myself.

Malto
02-11-2014, 20:17
Usually not a problem unless the snow is 6' deep or you have very fresh snow that blew onto the sides of the tree. Not usually an issue especially in March.

kayak karl
02-11-2014, 20:18
got lost twice. once snow was stuck to trees and 12" on ground. other was in grayson highlands where blazes were on the ground. other then that never a problem.

10-K
02-11-2014, 21:51
If there's a lot of snow it can be difficult to find the trail, even if you're hiking in a area you've hiked before.

When I'm hiking and there's a lot of snow on the ground I carry a roll of neon flagging tape clipped to my pack with a carabiner. If I get to a point where I need to scout around for the trail I tie a piece to a limb or tree where I know I'm standing on trail. That way I can find my way back to a known point on the trail.

I got turned around once for a couple of hours because I had made so many tracks I couldn't figure out how to get back to a point where I knew I was on the trail.

Lone Wolf
02-11-2014, 21:54
Hey everyone,

I'm planning a NOBO thru hike for mid March and was wondering how hard it typically is to find the white blazes in the snow. I'm from Florida so the only thing I know about snow is that it's cold and it's white. Since blazes and snow share the same hue, I figure this may pose a problem to a greenhorn hiker like myself.if you're starting mid-march there'll be plenty of folks ahead of you beatin' down the trail

swjohnsey
02-11-2014, 22:08
Yep, the problem is mostly across open areas, balds and such. You can generally see where the trail is . . . but not always.

fredmugs
02-11-2014, 22:51
If you're that concerned and are bringing a smart phone consider getting this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.highsierraattitude.athiker02

I use Halfmile's App for the PCT and you don't need to bring paper maps. Guthook's App has even more info.

rocketsocks
02-11-2014, 23:18
Well...in olden times we'd just use this...I reckon.25923

Capt Nat
02-11-2014, 23:24
I would hate to be the first on down a snow covered trail. This has never happened to me, by the time I get breakfast and get packed up, there is a well beaten track to follow.

Trance
02-11-2014, 23:29
It's hard enough to find the blazes down Blood Mountain nobo when there is no snow!

Bati
02-11-2014, 23:40
The southern AT is well marked so it wasn't too much of a problem for me. I hiked in a bad snow year so the larger problem was actually hiking on the trail if you have a of snow. There can be a ton of blow downs, the snow on the trail may be 4 to 6 inches deeper than the snow just off the trail due to the depression made by the trail, and switchbacks can become nearly impossible to negotiate when you're fighting for every step. If you don't have at least a foot of snow, you shouldn't have too much trouble staying on the trail and shouldn't have any major issues finding the AT. Make sure you take a map and compass and know how to use them; I never would have made it out of Georgia without them. Generally when we hit a peak or a valley, we'd drop our packs, split up and search for a blaze. Within 5 minutes, one of us would spot one, or a similar sign, such as a cut blow down, and we could find our way back to the trail.
The story on the Northern end of the AT is very different, as the blazes are not as frequent and the snow can pile up so high that you hit your head on overhanging branches. However, this only happens when your snowshoeing or skiing; a typical thru hiker would not be on the Northern end in the winter.

NB: Batteries wear out quickly when it's cold, so relying on a GPS can be a sketchy.

magic_game03
02-11-2014, 23:43
I would hate to be the first on down a snow covered trail. This has never happened to me, by the time I get breakfast and get packed up, there is a well beaten track to follow.

Damm, I love to be the first to break trail into some fresh snow. I can remember two times that I got miffed not being able to find the trail in deep snow. once in NY and once in Maine. Both times the trail had been blazed on rocks beneath the snow because there weren't enough viable trees around. The NY experience (some where in the Meat Grinder area) was the worst, took me about an hour to find the trail. Second time in Maine started to freak me out a little until I found some cairns (rock piles). I had to go about half a mile by cairns before I found the trail again.

….But trust me if you start out in mid-March you'll be wishing you could loose a couple hundred hikers breathing down your back and clogging up the trail in front of you, and not worrying about finding white blazes.

Alligator
02-11-2014, 23:57
Yep, the problem is mostly across open areas, balds and such. You can generally see where the trail is . . . but not always.If it's not full white out conditions, look for the posts. Trail on balds are often grooved. Depends on how deep the snow is though. I find balds harder to navigate in the dark when the posts aren't visible.

I would hate to be the first on down a snow covered trail. This has never happened to me, by the time I get breakfast and get packed up, there is a well beaten track to follow.It's really awesome actually, quite beautiful without all the footprints.

If you've got snow blowing onto the blazes, try turning around to check the blazes from the other direction.
If the snow isn't too deep and you are passing through woods, look to see the path of the trail through the tree branches. The maintainers trim the branches to allow a backpacker to make it through. There's a corridor about 3-4' wide and 7-8' tall.
The snow may cover the ground but the trail can still leave an impression, sort of like snow on a sidewalk.

If you simply can't navigate, find a place to stop. You have shelter and food.

magic_game03
02-12-2014, 00:06
Great response Alligator. +1 to EVERYthing you just said.

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2014, 01:56

What the hell is that . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7Qz640OeM

leaftye
02-12-2014, 04:33
To expand on what Alligator said, keep looking for signs of trail maintenance. Cut off branches are as good as blazes. Sometimes you can tell that there are downed logs under the snow. Sometimes you can see trail features as well. The PCT is probably a lot easier because the trail is usually where you'd expect it to be. You can look at the terrain and figure out where a trail should be, and usually if you look closer you'll see signs that the trail is exactly where you thought it should be. That said, my biggest problem is not walking off the end of switchbacks, so I still need to work on looking a couple switchbacks ahead or constantly looking back to see if the trail changes direction.

Since you're a new hiker, the best way is to latch onto a more experienced hiker.

rocketsocks
02-12-2014, 04:49
25924 Kinda what has been suggested, notice the trail cut through the tall grass.

rocketsocks
02-12-2014, 04:53
What the hell is that . . . https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RV7Qz640OeMThat's my Saturday night special. People see it they run...and say...your crazy man!

garlic08
02-12-2014, 08:46
I was worried about this first time I woke up in the Smokies on my AT hike with a foot of snow and high winds. All the tips mentioned above, especially looking both ways, up and down the trail, helped keep me on course. Same thing helped on a ski tour last weekend (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101553-Garlic-and-Mags-go-skiing&highlight=garlic+and+mags) where the blue blazes quickly turned white.

Seatbelt
02-12-2014, 08:59
Ran into this problem on top of Big Butt in Oct 2011. Fog very thick, rocks covered with snow, no obvious path--I just wiped off rocks until I could locate a blaze or two and then went on--it might slow one down a little bit but it was an excellent time!

fredmugs
02-12-2014, 12:09

In olden times I had a TV with rabbit ears antenna and vice grips to change the channel.

BuckeyeBill
02-14-2014, 02:42
In olden times I had a TV with rabbit ears antenna and vice grips to change the channel.

+1 and we only had three channels and if the President was on, we were screwed for an hour or two.

Sent from my TEXAS INSTRUMENT 88 using Hunt and Peck.

Sierra2015
02-14-2014, 02:52
Back in the olden days our dads sometimes had to get on the roof to fix the satellite signal.

Sierra2015
02-14-2014, 02:52
Young'uns these days don't know how good they have it. :p

TEXMAN
02-14-2014, 18:30
If there's a lot of snow it can be difficult to find the trail, even if you're hiking in a area you've hiked before.

When I'm hiking and there's a lot of snow on the ground I carry a roll of neon flagging tape clipped to my pack with a carabiner. If I get to a point where I need to scout around for the trail I tie a piece to a limb or tree where I know I'm standing on trail. That way I can find my way back to a known point on the trail.

I got turned around once for a couple of hours because I had made so many tracks I couldn't figure out how to get back to a point where I knew I was on the trail.

Wish I had this advice a couple of years ago when Digger and I lost the trail after coming over a peak ...we found footsteps and followed them until we decided that person wasn't on the trail, then we spent 30 minutes trying to get back to our last blaze .......

WILLIAM HAYES
02-14-2014, 22:15
a second on having a hard time locating the trail in grayson highlands in the snow took me a while

Son Driven
02-14-2014, 22:40
Not a problem at all, unless you are first one out after a fresh snow. You simply follow the tracks of the hikers that went before you.

lemon b
02-15-2014, 09:08
Agree with 10K. I've done Rte 20 over to Wash Mt Road and vice visa alot. Often coming out off trail. One issue I find the amount of attention just paid to footing. Good idea to carry a map & compass so as to stay in right direction.