PDA

View Full Version : Sample Gear List for my 2014 NoBo Thru Hike

JohKnip
02-11-2014, 20:30
I haven't bought a lot of my gear yet but I have a really good idea of what I will be purchasing very soon. I just want to post my gear list (what I'll be buying) before I buy it to see if there is anything I could change. I am most likely going to be starting April 1st (maybe earlier).

Backpack: Right now I have a Deuter ACT Lite 65+10. Probably going to return it (haven't used it yet) for a Osprey Exos 58.
Sleeping bag: Western Mountaineering Ultralite 20 degree bag (too warm?) I'm probably going to be also taking a cheap liner not for warmth but for cleanliness of bag.
Tent: Lightheart Gear SoLong 6
Sleeping Pad: Therm-a-Rest Z Lite Sol
Stove: MSR Pocket Rocket
Water treatment: Sawyer Mini + Aquamira (backup)
Pot: Thinking about the GSI or Snowpeak 900ML pot.
Puffy Jacket (camp jacket): Marmot Zeus (on sale now)
Rain Jacket: Marmot Precip (also on sale)
Baselayer top: Minus 33 MidWeight Crew neck long sleeve top
Baselayer bottom: Minus 33 Lightweight Pants
Shorts: Synthetic Running shorts
Socks: Kirkland Merino Wool Hiking Socks (x3)
Dirty girl Gaiters
Pants: The North Face Paramount Peak Convertible pants
Shirt: One or 2 Short sleeve synthetic shirt

I'm for getting some things because I'm a bit undecided on them (Trekking poles, shoes, underwear). My main questions/concerns are: Is my sleeping bag too warm? Should I take another baselayer top (synthetic shorts for sleep) for sleep (probably lightweight merino wool)? Should I take a cheap fleece pullover for extra insulation while hiking (Puffy is almost exclusively for camp)? Any other comments? Don't really have a set base weight yet. I figure I'll just weight what I have when I have it. Thanks for any help.

hikerboy57
02-11-2014, 20:42
bag-too warm for summer, but fine for april and september.same with a fleece.
you do need to pick out your shoes if you're planning on leaving april1.most shoes do not need a break in period, but you do want to be sure you wear them for a while, hike a few miles in them before you decide on which one is right.taking care of your feet is important. army ant changed his shoes 8 times last year.

JohKnip
02-11-2014, 20:49
I may get a 25 or 30 degree bag then and with the sleeping bag liner probably be good. When summer comes around I'm either going to be using my bag either as a quilt or just use the liner. I don't know if I'm going to want to buy another bag for summer. We'll see. I am definitely going to take care of my feet the best I can. I'm going to be taking trail runners and I'll probably be purchasing them by the end of next week.

Slo-go'en
02-11-2014, 22:59
Stick with the 20 degree bag. It can still get wicked cold in April, even snow and that is even more likely this year. When it does get hot, use it like a quilt or get something lighter, then switch back to it when you get up into New England.

Although modern shoes don't take a lot of break in, they do take some. Even more important is to toughen up your feet, so walk as much as possible in them before hand. If your going to develop blisters, best to find out sooner then later.

I like to have a long sleeve shirt to hike in in the spring. Save your long sleeve base layer for camp when you need the warmth.