PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping bag? What would you buy?

Many Moons
02-11-2014, 23:54
Getting ready for the April hike and starting to think gear. I have a Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag that weighs in at 2lbs and 11oz. Seems to work well. Hit a 19 degree Icy night last April in the GSMNP and it kept me semi warm as long as I moved once in a while.

Ok, here is the question, see that there are 23 oz bags that cost about 450.00/ is a pound worth the cost???? a pound is a lot, but 450.00 is a lot to me. I guess a Kelty is a rookie bag, but should I spend the monies???

See ya'll on the trail in April and May. HIKE ON!!

Miller

LAF
02-12-2014, 00:07
Only you can answer that question. And actually you're looking at saving around 20-25 oz, well over a lb - 43oz is where you're at, good quilt or Zpacks bag will be around 20oz. How old is your bag? If you've had it a while it may have lost some of its warmth.

I'm in debate with myself over whether to buy a new quilt or stick with my bag, which is a good one. I'm looking at about a 10oz savings. Is it worth it? Based on cost and can I afford it: probably not. But I have this habit of saving pocket change everyday I come home: every year I get myself a treat, so I just may do it. Where are you with the rest of your gear, is it all solid and ready to go?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

magic_game03
02-12-2014, 00:21
Heck yes the $450 is worth it. You recognized the first dilemma, which is weight, but you still have a second dilemma, compact-ability. That Kelty bag is pretty much the crappiest bag out there because it is filled with 550 down fill… means it's not going to compact like a 900 fill bag. What you need to look for when buying any down is the "fill." Higher the fill the better (in most cases.) I'm not going waste a lot of time explaining it out, you can either look it up or I'm sure there are others here just waiting to pounce on that answer. Either way, I don't buy a bag unless it's rated at 900 or 900+.

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2014, 00:24
Just to throw another wrench in the works, assuming that you do most of your camping in three season conditions I would suggest that you consider buying an even lighter 30 or even 40 degree bag and then keeping the Kelty for shoulder season and winter trips (or better yet, investing in a zero degree bag as well) , having a bag for warmer conditions and a separate one for winter can save a lot of weight in your pack during the warmer months.

magic_game03
02-12-2014, 00:34
Just to throw another wrench in the works, assuming that you do most of your camping in three season conditions I would suggest that you consider buying an even lighter 30 or even 40 degree bag and then keeping the Kelty for shoulder season and winter trips (or better yet, investing in a zero degree bag as well) , having a bag for warmer conditions and a separate one for winter can save a lot of weight in your pack during the warmer months.

Nice evolution of the thread STE. He should probably get a quilt… a 900 fill, 40deg quilt. At this rate his toilet paper is going to weigh more and take up more space than his choice of sleeping cover. Sure beats that medicine ball of a down bag that he's considering carrying.

magic_game03
02-12-2014, 00:44
just for reference I did a quick 30 look around and this is what I found. Campmor-> down sleeping bags. A MH Phantom 32 deg., 800 fill, 1lb 6oz.=$329. And I'm sure there are a ton more deals out there. Most people are not thru-hikers so they bought their winter bags before winter, that means a lot of bags will go on sale soon too. keep your eyes open.

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2014, 01:37
I agree, keep the warmer heavier bag for shoulder seasons and get a good light (<24 oz) 30 to 40 deg summer bag. Keep an eye out on ebay and gearseller and here at WB under gear for sale etc. Often you can pick up a good used or even new quality bag at a good price. I scored a new WM Caribou 35 deg for $200 by shopping around.

DocMahns
02-12-2014, 02:21
Check out REI, I just picked up a big agnes bellyache mountain sl for $150 last month. It was priced at just over $300 regularly. I was super excited about the find. My girlfriend also got a Marmot Pinnacle for a little more. There was a whole container full of discounted past season sleeping bags for 50% off.

leaftye
02-12-2014, 03:53
I wouldn't spend $450 on a 20°F bag. At that rating I'd go with a quilt. I'd go with a bag if I wanted a lower rating though. So if I was in your place, I'd probably stick with the Kelty bag, while considering swapping it for a quilt.

Where are you seeing a 23 ounce 20°F bag? That's approaching quilt territory. The lightest regular size 20°F Western Mountaineering bag I see is 29 ounces.

Egads
02-12-2014, 04:29
Jacks R Better Old Rag Mtn winter quilt "on sale"

10* up to 50* and 29 oz for only $259. Buy one today.

http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/old-rag-mtn-standard-rectangular-quilts/

or buy a "large" quilt if you're a big guy or can't stand drafts

daddytwosticks
02-12-2014, 08:42
I'm a bag man myself at colder temperatures. One word: Western Mountaineering. You won't be disappointed. :)

4shot
02-12-2014, 08:58
If you have done some 2-4 day winter trips with your Kelty - and it fits in your pack with food and all your other gear - and you have been warm, why buy another bag? unless you have unlimited discretionary $, which most of us don't. yes, there are warmer, lighter, "better" bags. do you need one? no. Do we all want one or the latest and greatest? yes. distinguish between 'needs" and "wants". remember, 20 years ago that kelty bag would have been "state of the art". whether you start with 50 lbs. or 30 lbs. after the first month you don't think about it anymore imo.ymmv.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 09:11
This is just a though, but worth thinking about if money is an issue. You can get a Montbell Ul#5 on sale right now for about ~$200.

If you get that, you can start with both, doubling the MB with the Kelty till it starts warming up a little, bounce the MB up the trail to VA, then bounce the Kelty up to New England. This will give you an ultralight bag for the bulk of the tail while it's warm, but give you the warmth you need when it's cold at the start and finish.

I would not worry about the weight of the Kelty, carry a pint less water and save your money.

Many Moons
02-12-2014, 09:12
I wouldn't spend $450 on a 20°F bag. At that rating I'd go with a quilt. I'd go with a bag if I wanted a lower rating though. So if I was in your place, I'd probably stick with the Kelty bag, while considering swapping it for a quilt.

Where are you seeing a 23 ounce 20°F bag? That's approaching quilt territory. The lightest regular size 20°F Western Mountaineering bag I see is 29 ounces.

The bag I saw was a Feathered Friends Down Hummingbird 20 degree bag. About 450.00. I have been hiking in March, April and Late October, so the 20 degree seems to work well. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

Coffee
02-12-2014, 09:16
If I could make my sleeping bag selection again, I would spend the extra money and go with the zPacks 20 degree. In my opinion, there are places to economize but trying to do so with sleeping bags isn't the ideal way to go about it.

squeezebox
02-12-2014, 09:23
What about the durability of the fill. Since 900 fill is lighter is it also more fragile ? Leading to faster breakdown. Opposed to the 500 fill.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 09:40
What about the durability of the fill. Since 900 fill is lighter is it also more fragile ? Leading to faster breakdown. Opposed to the 500 fill.

Quality down last about forever if well cared for so I wouldn't worry about it. I have down stuff from the 70s that is still as good as new. 900 fill may not last as long as 500 fill, but that probably means it will last 20 years instead of 30 years.

In my opinion, the shell fabric is a much bigger issue as far as longevity is concerned.

LAF
02-12-2014, 10:13
The bag I saw was a Feathered Friends Down Hummingbird 20 degree bag. About 450.00. I have been hiking in March, April and Late October, so the 20 degree seems to work well. HIKE ON!!!

Miller
Just a note since not sure on your body type, the hummingbird is a narrow cut. I have had a ff swallow which is a slightly wider version of the hummingbird; adds about 4 oz to the weight. To do again, I'd get a 20 degree quilt, lots of good makers out there; enlightened equip, katabatic, nunatek, underground quilts, .....

msupple
02-12-2014, 10:26
I'm a bag man myself at colder temperatures. One word: Western Mountaineering. You won't be disappointed. :)

Agreed! I've had my 30 degree Megalite down into the low twenties many times and stayed warm. It weighs 1lb 8 oz.

Weather-man
02-12-2014, 13:12
I spent $200 on a 10 degree quilt from Enlightened Equipment....total weight is 29.5oz with 3 oz overstuff.

For the AT in the spring and fall I think that a 20 degree bag is more than enough, particularly if you use a sleep system that includes clothing.

Tuckahoe
02-12-2014, 23:20
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101645-Great-Deals-on-Montbell-Sleeping-Bags

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?p=1&cat_id=10&fo_flg=1

As posted by another member looks like Montbell is having a sale.

bfayer
02-13-2014, 09:40
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?101645-Great-Deals-on-Montbell-Sleeping-Bags

http://www.montbell.us/products/list.php?p=1&cat_id=10&fo_flg=1

As posted by another member looks like Montbell is having a sale.

Yep. They have shut down production to shift to their new line of bags this spring. Old bags are great, new bags will be lighter and more expensive.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Alpine Bomber
03-06-2014, 01:01
I realize this thread hasn't been touched in a while, but I think it's worth mentioning the liner/bag combo approach. If you stick with a 25-30 degree bag, and add a Sea to Summit Reactor (just one option they offer) Liner, it will make said sleeping bag a 5-10 degree bag for only 50-60 dollars more, and you gain a ton of versatility, and a much more hygienic bag. Essentially, the liner is the sheet to your comforter (bag). You can wash it in any old machine as often as you wish, sleep without it, or only sleep with it, depending on the weather. It's cheaper than dropping the 20 degree in the bag, and generally leads to a more compact set up. As the cost of down continues to rise, this is seemingly a much cheaper way to get the extra warmth needed and still maintain low weight and packability.

Alpine Bomber
03-06-2014, 01:03
And, apparently I can't tell the difference between join date and posting date. New thread, got it. :)

TEXMAN
03-06-2014, 12:53

I second this opinion ... you get what you pay for ....

colorado_rob
03-06-2014, 13:08
If I could make my sleeping bag selection again, I would spend the extra money and go with the zPacks 20 degree. In my opinion, there are places to economize but trying to do so with sleeping bags isn't the ideal way to go about it. This, exactly. I'm of Scottish ancestry and hence (so they say) a real tight-wad by nature, but when it comes to critical gear, I spend the $$$. I made mistakes early in my "gear buying career" by trying to save money, but eventually you realize you should have bought top quality to begin with, assuming you're serious about backpacking, and it sounds like you are. Those zpacks bags look really sweet, though I'm a huge WM fan. I just made my first zpacks purchase (a hexamid solo+ tent) and we'll see how their stuff works out. A double-crown (PCT, AT) buddy of mine just bought this zpacks bag and raves about it; best weight/warmth ratio out there I think, for an adequate sized bag, and not too ridiculous of prices. I'd definitely go with the "wide" though as extra shoulder girth is important IMHO. so 20 deg, wide/long, 19.8 ounces, $420.

apd07c
03-06-2014, 13:23
hey miller! i'd also recommend checking out top quilts. fire fighters are supposed to be tough, right? no need for that compressed down and zipper.

on a side note... NO WAY you're 52. Easily thought you were late 30's, early 40's. Good for you man!

Many Moons
03-06-2014, 13:30
Can't pick up name?? I know you?? You got me wondering?? My brain is hurting. Hey when your 52 your memory starts to go. HIKE ON!!!

Miller

hey miller! i'd also recommend checking out top quilts. fire fighters are supposed to be tough, right? no need for that compressed down and zipper.

on a side note... NO WAY you're 52. Easily thought you were late 30's, early 40's. Good for you man!

Drybones
03-06-2014, 13:53
Hey when your 52 your memory starts to go.

Yeah, memory is the second thing to go.....can't remember what the first is.

88BlueGT
03-06-2014, 15:47
The only winter bag I have and have ever used is a Marmot Helium (15*). It's pricey but for weight/comfort/durability I absolutely love it.

pyro_
03-06-2014, 16:00
I have been really happy with the 10 degree zpacks bag I got this year and and seriously considering getting on of their 40 degree bags this year

Praha4
03-06-2014, 17:21
I just ordered Marmot Plasma 30 to replace my old Marmot Hydrogen 30. The Plasma is a few ounces lighter. That Hydrogen will likely be posted here for sale shortly after I get a chance to checkout the Plasma after delivery. It will likely become my go-to 3 season bag for the east coast.

lemon b
03-07-2014, 01:37
For years I used a North Face Cats Meow. Now I have several different bags. If I add up all the money, this simple fact rings true. Hike with what you have and enjoy yourself wearing one out, save and get a Western Mountaineer soon as one can. Don't skimp on feet or sleep related items.