PDA

View Full Version : What are excellent AT camp shoes ??

vacation
02-12-2014, 08:42
What are excellent AT camp shoes ??

hikerboy57
02-12-2014, 09:09
these, without the liner:http://www.vivobarefoot.com/us/mens/ultra-mens

urbansix
02-12-2014, 09:23
I'm still with knock-off-brand crocs. I keep toying with other things - moccasin slippers, Sanuks, flip flops ... but always come back to the crocs.

LAF
02-12-2014, 09:45
I'm liking the Cushe "Slipper": http://www.cushe.com/US/en-US/Product.mvc.aspx/27187M/83905/Mens/Mens-Cushe-Slipper?dimensions=0 Nice and light, much lighter than crocs and quite comfy

Doc Mike
02-12-2014, 09:55
Knock off crocs. Way cheaper than either of above option and with heel strap are great for water crossings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Teacher & Snacktime
02-12-2014, 09:57
From what I've seen, pink crocs are pretty awesome.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 10:01

Agree. Love mine. I don't hink you will find anything lighter that also offers as much protection and utility. They did sell them without the liner, but I don't see them on the site anymore.

Kerosene
02-12-2014, 10:58
From what I've seen, pink crocs are pretty awesome.Yep, I think I look pretty awesome in them (although I need a shampoo):

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 11:22
Yep, I think I look pretty awesome in them (although I need a shampoo):

I love it Kerosene!! Who knew? Yipee!! Coach Lou will be sooo happy!

PS.. I wear crocs too.. mine are deep purple.

elray
02-12-2014, 11:48
I too have tried many different camp shoes and always go back to Croc's, be sure to buy them with the back strap or you'll slide out of them when wet. Perfect for camp and occasional crossings, they're a nice respite from your hiking shoe when going down to the spring, and in a pinch you can hike in them.

Valley Girl
02-12-2014, 11:50
I got my vivos on sale. Excellent camp and water shoe. I wear 3mm diver socks with them when it's really cold and wet.

colorado_rob
02-12-2014, 11:53
Excellent camp shoes are, eh, your regular hiking shoes, shoe laces completely loose and the foot beds removed to afford tons of extra space/volume (plus to air out the foot beds). No extra weight, plenty comfortable. I might suggest that if your regular hiking boots/shoes are not comfortable enough for camp (again, loosened, foot beds removed), you should look for different/more comfortable hiking shoes. Just my own M.O. I tried the generic crocs thing, sure they are comfortable, but not really much more than my regular hiking shoes, so the extra 11 ounces just weren't worth it.

max patch
02-12-2014, 12:02
"Camp shoes" were almost a requirement when we wore heavy leather boots, but for those that have switched to trail runners it is more of a "personal preference" type item.

MDSection12
02-12-2014, 12:03
Excellent camp shoes are, eh, your regular hiking shoes, shoe laces completely loose and the foot beds removed to afford tons of extra space/volume (plus to air out the foot beds). No extra weight, plenty comfortable. I might suggest that if your regular hiking boots/shoes are not comfortable enough for camp (again, loosened, foot beds removed), you should look for different/more comfortable hiking shoes. Just my own M.O. I tried the generic crocs thing, sure they are comfortable, but not really much more than my regular hiking shoes, so the extra 11 ounces just weren't worth it.
I was in this camp for a while, but I'm getting sick of putting my boots on to get out of the sack at night. I want something that slips on and off super easily, even when frozen. I think I'll try some crocs soon.

drifter
02-12-2014, 12:28
What do the vivo's weigh without the liner?

HooKooDooKu
02-12-2014, 12:34
The ultra comes with the liner, but you can save a few bucks and buy the version without the liner known as the ultra pure (http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-m-black-white).

I would agree that these are perhaps the best. But you can save a lot of money if you look for knock-offs at WalMart. I've found and used croc-knockoffs from WalMart, and about a year ago I found what looks much like a Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure knockoff at WalMart for < $10... that's my current camp/water shoe.

hikerboy57
02-12-2014, 12:35

7 ounces each

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

HooKooDooKu
02-12-2014, 12:42
Check out the specs for the Vivobarefoot Ultra Pure (http://www.zappos.com/vivobarefoot-ultra-pure-m-black-white). But I'll warn you that I've learned from experience that the specification only lists the weight of a single shoe, not the pair.

I had purchased a pair of the ultra pure from Zappos... and was disappointed to find that they weighed twice as much as I expected. But the final kicker that made me send them back was the fact that the pair I was shipped were obviously USED!!! Yea, they looked clean, and at first I didn't notice. But it didn't take much to realize there was wear on the bottom of the shoe. Zappos made things right by accepting the shoes back with no cost to me... and they even provided discounts on future purchases.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 12:47
Mine are the ultra pure. I believe they are the same as the ultra's without the liner.

Mine weigh 3.9 oz each.

daddytwosticks
02-12-2014, 13:28
Mentioned this before in other threads. Found a pair of lightweigh Teva sandals (about 10 ounces- size 10) this summer. They were a "retro" model (or anniversary model, can't remember). The sole was lighter than the standard Tevas, but way more durable than a flip-flop footbed. Very nice. Works great for camp shoe, crossing creeks, or other water activities. One may even be able to hike some distances in them if you have tough feet. They look good enough to walk around town in on a zero day, unlike those clown shoes (only kidding). :)

Tuxedo
02-12-2014, 13:38
I have an ol pair of Waldies a precursor to Crocs. The fording/camp shoe I'll use next is http://www.sockwa.com/

lonehiker
02-12-2014, 13:53
Generic croc. But I mostly use them in towns cause I don't want to wear my foul smelling shoes.

kennyxedge
02-13-2014, 04:17
Crocs or the knockoffs from Walmart work great. I wish they weren't so bulky though.

urbansix
02-13-2014, 06:55
Crocs or the knockoffs from Walmart work great. I wish they weren't so bulky though.

I stuff them toe down in the outer kangaroo pouch then stuff them with odds and ends - bear hang kit, rolled up platypus, eyeglasses case, etc. YMMV :)

mountainman
02-13-2014, 08:37

I just ordered the Ultra Pure from Amazon $4o. Weight 3.7oz.

vacation
02-13-2014, 08:41

Vivobarefoot look nice but $85 is too much.

I used WalMart generic Crocs (around $5) till I wore them out. My generic Crocs were open toed. Open toe was a big plus for comfort. Since I cannot find open toe anymore, I will do the reprehensible act of cutting out the toe cover, please forgive me for the sin.

HooKooDooKu
02-13-2014, 11:05
Expect the weight for the pair of them to be 7.4oz.

Now if you're really looking for light weight... I wonder how much these weigh (http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Achilles-Running-Black-41-42/dp/B005FO5DWQ).

Teacher & Snacktime
02-13-2014, 11:15
Expect the weight for the pair of them to be 7.4oz.

Now if you're really looking for light weight... I wonder how much these weigh (http://www.amazon.com/Vivobarefoot-Achilles-Running-Black-41-42/dp/B005FO5DWQ).

The ad says 1.5 lbs

Almost There
02-13-2014, 14:52
"Camp shoes" were almost a requirement when we wore heavy leather boots, but for those that have switched to trail runners it is more of a "personal preference" type item.

Agreed, but they are nice when you've been hiking all day in the rain, and want to put on dry socks and dry shoes. Summertime is fine for wet trailrunners in camp, but cold and wet equals...sucks big time. I'll carry the Crocs

mak1277
02-13-2014, 15:22
Agreed, but they are nice when you've been hiking all day in the rain, and want to put on dry socks and dry shoes. Summertime is fine for wet trailrunners in camp, but cold and wet equals...sucks big time. I'll carry the Crocs

Throw on your dry socks, add a bread bag on each foot and then your wet shoes won't even be noticed.

bamboo bob
02-13-2014, 16:23
If you wear trail runners and not big leather boots I see no need for camp shoes.

Spirit Bear
02-13-2014, 17:05
What are excellent AT camp shoes ??

I use Teva's unervisal mush sandals

Very comfortable and light. It has a super soft light sponge serface, the same as their mush flip flops but with their traditional sandal, fits socks better on cold nights and morning at camp. Also, very comfortable town shoes.

http://www.teva.com/mens-mush-universal-sport-sandal/1004754,default,pd.html?dwvar_1004754_color=BLK&start=8&q=original%20universal

Meriadoc
02-13-2014, 17:16
Unless it's cold, camp shoes are bare feet.

SunnyWalker
02-17-2014, 00:03
If I use "camp shoes" this year it will be Wal-Mart "Crocs". I Don't wish to use something expensive for that role. Save my money for areas where to me it makes more sense to purchase something of higher quality.

DocMahns
02-17-2014, 00:10
I picked up a pair of the vibram fivefinger shoes for camp shoes and river crossings, only about 4-5oz each. I figure they provide protection with the vibram soles and the tops are fast drying. Super comfortable, feel like socks with soles. Found them on sale for $30

Astro
02-17-2014, 00:43
Mine are the ultra pure. I believe they are the same as the ultra's without the liner.

Mine weigh 3.9 oz each.

I start using the same thing this past summer. Much lighter and smaller than crocs.

Astro
02-17-2014, 00:45
Vivobarefoot look nice but $85 is too much.

I used WalMart generic Crocs (around $5) till I wore them out. My generic Crocs were open toed. Open toe was a big plus for comfort. Since I cannot find open toe anymore, I will do the reprehensible act of cutting out the toe cover, please forgive me for the sin.

Try 6pm.com. I bought a second pair recently for $17.50.

Deacon
02-17-2014, 07:22
Generally, I don't like the thought of having to carry dead weight, especially camp shoes. Everything I've seen is still too heavy.

However Eddie, over at CedarTree came up with a cuben slipper concept a couple years ago. I inquired again recently, and he was good enough to send me these to try out. He never went to production, but did send out a few beta samples so he could get feedback.

They are simply a double thick piece of foam cut in the shape of a footbed with cuben as the fabric. Elastic at the top keeps them somewhat snug.

I plan on taking these on my 40 day Springer to Damascus section in May to try them out.

Weight: 1.4 oz/shoe, 2.8/pair

rocketsocks
02-17-2014, 08:59

these puppies are bad azz

Cedar Tree
02-17-2014, 09:26
Generally, I don't like the thought of having to carry dead weight, especially camp shoes. Everything I've seen is still too heavy.

However Eddie, over at CedarTree came up with a cuben slipper concept a couple years ago. I inquired again recently, and he was good enough to send me these to try out. He never went to production, but did send out a few beta samples so he could get feedback.

They are simply a double thick piece of foam cut in the shape of a footbed with cuben as the fabric. Elastic at the top keeps them somewhat snug.

I plan on taking these on my 40 day Springer to Damascus section in May to try them out.

Weight: 1.4 oz/shoe, 2.8/pair

The feedback I received regarding these cuben moccasins was they were entirely too sweaty. That was my experience too. Plus, they are very slick on the bottom and I busted my ass walking in snow with them. I recently modified the design some to a more open sandal type shoe but still providing good water protection for socks. Back to single layer sole too. I've made one pair and found them much less sweaty, but still dangerously slick. The newest design is also back to about 1 oz total for the pair. They also adhere much better to the foot, not so "somewhat snug" as Deacon says. Sorry no pictures at this time.

They do accomplish what I am looking for in a camp shoe---a light weight way to keep my sleeping socks clean and dry around camp. I wear Trail Runners too, but there is no way I am putting my clean, dry sleeping socks into a wet, muddy pair of Trail Runners to go pee. I bought the materials to make several pairs of the new design, but it will be closer to Trail Days before I do it.
CT

Flounder940
02-17-2014, 11:10
Hi-Tec Zuuks: http://www.amazon.com/Hi-Tec-Zuuk-M-Mens-Zuuk-Shoe/dp/B008RIL37Q. I bought a pair last year in Hot Springs. Light and comfortable. 5.8 oz per shoe.

Hot Flash
02-17-2014, 13:56
Crocs, UGH. Crocs scream "I never want to get laid again," especially if you're a guy. Ugly, heavy, and far surpassed by many other choices. Crocs are fat-old-person-gardening-shoes.

jeffmeh
02-17-2014, 15:03
My Vivobarefoot Ultra Pures: 8.4 oz. for the pair, size 10.5-11 mens.... Less if you mod them to remove the tongue.

DocMahns
02-17-2014, 16:47
Crocs, UGH. Crocs scream "I never want to get laid again," especially if you're a guy. Ugly, heavy, and far surpassed by many other choices. Crocs are fat-old-person-gardening-shoes.

Well, glad I like to garden and hate getting laid

HikerMom58
02-17-2014, 21:44
The feedback I received regarding these cuben moccasins was they were entirely too sweaty. That was my experience too. Plus, they are very slick on the bottom and I busted my ass walking in snow with them. I recently modified the design some to a more open sandal type shoe but still providing good water protection for socks. Back to single layer sole too. I've made one pair and found them much less sweaty, but still dangerously slick. The newest design is also back to about 1 oz total for the pair. They also adhere much better to the foot, not so "somewhat snug" as Deacon says. Sorry no pictures at this time.

They do accomplish what I am looking for in a camp shoe---a light weight way to keep my sleeping socks clean and dry around camp. I wear Trail Runners too, but there is no way I am putting my clean, dry sleeping socks into a wet, muddy pair of Trail Runners to go pee. I bought the materials to make several pairs of the new design, but it will be closer to Trail Days before I do it.
CT

SWEET.........CT. :D

Oh really? LOL. I like Crocs! :sun Sometimes Alligators....Yee-haw!

What would we do without you, Hot Flash? ;) We'd be bored? Yep, that's it... bored!

Del Q
02-17-2014, 22:26
My experience, save the weight, barefoot on what you hike in.............used to take crocs, did not wear them enought to be bothered. Learned from a few "legendary" thru hikers

Success leaves clues.

Mountain Springs
02-21-2014, 00:13
Another option is cheapo Walmart water shoes. Basically the same as the barefoot shoes for $5 and much more grippy on wet rocks.

bfayer
02-21-2014, 07:46
Another option is cheapo Walmart water shoes. Basically the same as the barefoot shoes for $5 and much more grippy on wet rocks.

What is the weight? My water shoes are heavier than my crocks.

QiWiz
02-21-2014, 12:19

+1
The lightest option is to loosen your laces when you get into camp and now your trail shoes are your camp shoes. This is what I do. If your trail shoes are soaked (which is unfortunately not too rare on the AT), put on dry socks and cover them with a plastic bag (small oven bags work the best for me) before putting your trail shoes back on. Even crocks weigh more than I want to be carrying.

LAF
02-21-2014, 13:41
What is the weight? My water shoes are heavier than my crocks.

Company called zemGear makes a pair that go 2 ½ oz for the pair - well size 8's anyway, yeah, hit me with some short jokes, I'm used to 'em :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sara
02-21-2014, 14:01
+1
The lightest option is to loosen your laces when you get into camp and now your trail shoes are your camp shoes. This is what I do. If your trail shoes are soaked (which is unfortunately not too rare on the AT), put on dry socks and cover them with a plastic bag (small oven bags work the best for me) before putting your trail shoes back on. Even crocks weigh more than I want to be carrying.

I do the same thing with my trail runners.

I'm also going to be taking a pair of disposable foam pedicure sandals for showering. A pair weighs <0.5 ounces.
I bought 12 pairs from Ebay for $4.06 including shipping and I'll put replacement ones in my resupply maildrops.

Astro
02-21-2014, 16:44

I could not justify the weight of Crocs on the trail, but enjoy them otherwise.

Hot Flash, I think you must take pride in being the most opinionated and offensive person on WB. I guess at least you are consistent.

Kerosene
02-21-2014, 16:54
yeah, hit me with some short jokes, I'm used to 'em :)Doesn't matter, because you get to live in the Caymans, where it is currently 74 degrees warmer than Minneapolis, with no white stuff on the ground!

rocketsocks
02-21-2014, 18:13
Crocs, UGH. Crocs scream "I never want to get laid again," especially if you're a guy. Ugly, heavy, and far surpassed by many other choices. Crocs are fat-old-person-gardening-shoes.Ha ha, after following Mr.Wiggly around for years, now he goes where I want...so much easier.

I could not justify the weight of Crocs on the trail, but enjoy them otherwise.

Hot Flash, I think you must take pride in being the most opinionated and offensive person on WB. I guess at least you are consistent.
Not even close...there's others.:D

LAF
02-21-2014, 18:40
Doesn't matter, because you get to live in the Caymans, where it is currently 74 degrees warmer than Minneapolis, with no white stuff on the ground!

It's a tough life but somebody's got to do it. :) forget about the air, water temp is 74 degrees warmer. I was raised in the snow belt though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:02

That's a bunch of Croc!

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:09

That's why fat-old-gardening farts wear them, the fat-old-gardening ladys think they're sexy...almost as sexy as our garden tillers.

Drybones
02-21-2014, 22:12
Sorry, got side tracked and forgot what I was going to post, that happens with us old guys some times.......there ain't no such thing as a good camp shoe, I've pissed away all the money I'm going to trying to find them, I give up!

bfayer
02-21-2014, 22:14
Drybones, pulling a hat trick this evening.

QHShowoman
02-21-2014, 22:42
I just got a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra shoes from Steepandcheap for use as camp shoes as well. They only weigh about 6 ounces (for the pair), without the liner. They're made of a croc-like material, so they're water proof and quick drying, so they can be used for water crossings as well as trail shoes. And since they're sturdy enough for running, I can hike in them if I need to.

QHShowoman
02-21-2014, 22:44

You know it's 3.7oz for each shoe...which is still light. Even lighter (about 3 oz each) if you take out the liners (if you have the ultra pure, I don't think they come with liners). I just got mine today. :-)

Dogwood
02-22-2014, 12:06
It's common to find reefwalkers here in Hawaii. They don't have to be more than $20 -25 either. I bought a size 13, all mesh top, hard but flexible rubber like sole coating, 4 0z wt for the pr, at a WalMart in HI for $6. They look similar to this but prolly half the wt. Mine weigh under 5 oz in size XL.

I sometimes hike in sandals and, at other times, largely in trail runners, and once in camp I'm in my sleeping bag within 15-20 mins so I feel little use for a separate walking around camp shoe when long distance hiking. If car camping while mixing in some hikes or beach combing or expecting many rocky bottomed cold water fords I'm more inclined to carry camp/fording reefwalkers.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Rip-Curl-Classic-Reef-Walker-2mm-Mens-Shoe-BNIB-/00/s/NTczWDEwMjQ=/$(KGrHqYOKiYE5Okg-hjGBOjChwK5Tg~~60_35.JPG

Astro
02-22-2014, 19:37
I just got a pair of Vivobarefoot Ultra shoes from Steepandcheap for use as camp shoes as well. They only weigh about 6 ounces (for the pair), without the liner. They're made of a croc-like material, so they're water proof and quick drying, so they can be used for water crossings as well as trail shoes. And since they're sturdy enough for running, I can hike in them if I need to.

QHS, I really believe you will be happy with them. While not as comfortable as crocs (thinner bottoms) they are so much lighter. I use them for water crossings, camp and town shoes. With all the rain I had last summer I was really glad to have something else to put on at night while I took off my trail runners to dry. And if you watch for sales you can get them on sell (recently bought 2nd pair for $17.50).

hikerboy57
02-22-2014, 20:19
QHS, I really believe you will be happy with them. While not as comfortable as crocs (thinner bottoms) they are so much lighter. I use them for water crossings, camp and town shoes. With all the rain I had last summer I was really glad to have something else to put on at night while I took off my trail runners to dry. And if you watch for sales you can get them on sell (recently bought 2nd pair for $17.50).
regarding the thinner bottoms, just take your insoles out of your shoes and throw them in their for a little extra cushion.

BradMT
02-27-2014, 20:11

Sorry, I'm 52, trimmer than most 22 year olds, told I'm handsome, and I wear Crocs... the man makes the clothing, not the reverse :)