PDA

View Full Version : Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar this weekend

msujay
02-12-2014, 09:02
My hiking buddy and I are planning a Friday to Sunday from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. Sounds like a nice snow storm is coming through tonight into tomorrow. We are planning to drive down tomorrow, arriving in the early evening. Any insight into how the roads will be, and the trail conditions, is greatly appreciated. We are fairly experienced winter backpackers, but it's always helpful to get some local intel. Thanks!

MDSection12
02-12-2014, 11:11
My hiking buddy and I are planning a Friday to Sunday from Harpers Ferry to Pen Mar. Sounds like a nice snow storm is coming through tonight into tomorrow. We are planning to drive down tomorrow, arriving in the early evening. Any insight into how the roads will be, and the trail conditions, is greatly appreciated. We are fairly experienced winter backpackers, but it's always helpful to get some local intel. Thanks!
I just got back from an overnight at Rocky Run shelter. Trail is snow/ice covered already and more is on the way. From all accounts driving tomorrow evening will likely be tough at best. If you have a good AWD and are confident it may not be impossible... But plan for a long drive and plan for deep snow on the trail. If we get what they're calling for you'll see drifts two or three feet deep on the ridges I bet.

MDSection12
02-12-2014, 11:13
Just as a testament to my prediction for roads tomorrow... I will likely be sleeping in my car in the parking lot of my local ski resort tonight. I'm dying to ride the powder tomorrow, but I highly doubt I'd be able to drive up tomorrow, even in my wife's Subaru.

MDSection12
02-12-2014, 11:15
Sorry to triple post, but I just realized that you said Friday to Sunday... That's gonna be ambitious with snow on the ground. Just the inch or two of snow with an ice coating that's already down will slow you up a bit, but another foot on top could really slow you down.

coach lou
02-12-2014, 11:33
I just got back from an overnight at Rocky Run shelter. Trail is snow/ice covered already and more is on the way. From all accounts driving tomorrow evening will likely be tough at best. If you have a good AWD and are confident it may not be impossible... But plan for a long drive and plan for deep snow on the trail. If we get what they're calling for you'll see drifts two or three feet deep on the ridges I bet.

Just as a testament to my prediction for roads tomorrow... I will likely be sleeping in my car in the parking lot of my local ski resort tonight. I'm dying to ride the powder tomorrow, but I highly doubt I'd be able to drive up tomorrow, even in my wife's Subaru.

Sorry to triple post, but I just realized that you said Friday to Sunday... That's gonna be ambitious with snow on the ground. Just the inch or two of snow with an ice coating that's already down will slow you up a bit, but another foot on top could really slow you down.

I agree, and I agree, and I agree again. Drive safely!

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 13:04
Have a great time skiing MD! :)

msujay
02-12-2014, 14:44
Winter boots + microspikes...do you think that will be enough, or should we be thinking snowshoes?

daimonpaul
02-12-2014, 15:42
I'd definitely opt for snowshoes. Did a hike a couple winters ago after only about 8 inches of snow, it was two miles round trip, and I can't tell you how miserable your legs will feel after that. That area is looking at about a foot tomorrow, so yes, snowshoes!

FarmerChef
02-12-2014, 15:45
I'd definitely opt for snowshoes. Did a hike a couple winters ago after only about 8 inches of snow, it was two miles round trip, and I can't tell you how miserable your legs will feel after that. That area is looking at about a foot tomorrow, so yes, snowshoes!

+1. We're looking at over a foot in the mountains round here. But if we even get 8 inches it's still going to be a doozy to posthole through. The snow is also supposed to be wet and heavy. Expect significant blowdowns along the trail this weekend.

GitRdone
02-12-2014, 17:18
I hiked this section.. Pen Mar to Harper's Ferry in September about 3 years ago,,, Great hike in September but I bow to everyone's opinion regards amount of snow, the obvious need for cold weather gear, including snowshoes and gators... Good luck and hope all goes well for you. HYOH

lambsknoll
02-12-2014, 17:26
Expect significant blowdowns along the trail this weekend.

And what I call the laurel gauntlet.

I'll be on the trail tomorrow playing in the powder. I'll report back.

Mrs Baggins
02-12-2014, 17:30
Well I live along that line here in Frederick MD and we are looking at 12 - 18" of snow now in the forecast. Winds gusting up to 30 mph. This central area of MD into PA is in the bullseye of the heaviest snowfall. Maryland has already had a state of emergency declared and no one I know is planning to go to work tomorrow - they want everyone off the highways that aren't emergency personnel, hospital employees, etc. You'll have to travel county and state back roads and they get plowed last. Have you checked with the Harpers Ferry Visitors Center (if that's where you're parking) to make sure the lot will be open? And if you want to leave a car at Pen Mar, which is up in the hills along a twisting back road, that lot may not get plowed for a few days.

msujay
02-13-2014, 10:19
We are off to Red River Gorge in KY instead. Thanks for the feedback and intel!

MDSection12
02-13-2014, 10:29
Good call... We've got 20 inches and it's still falling.

Mrs Baggins
02-13-2014, 12:09
17" here on the northwest side of Frederick MD. More to come.

MDSection12
02-13-2014, 12:27
17" here on the northwest side of Frederick MD. More to come.
I'm in the southeast end (Ballenger) but it's tough to measure due to the drifts. Just dug the car out, I'm headed to the ski slopes in an hour. :)

Mrs Baggins
02-13-2014, 14:36
I'm in the southeast end (Ballenger) but it's tough to measure due to the drifts. Just dug the car out, I'm headed to the ski slopes in an hour. :)

I went out in the front yard to the flattest area I could find and measured. It's drifted more than 2 feet deep on our deck. No plows have shown up yet, but we're in the city limits and we get plowed pretty fast compared to those in the county. This is just a lull in the storm. We've got as much as 6" more coming this evening, starting about 4 pm and lasting til midnight. This is not over by any means.

daimonpaul
02-13-2014, 17:16
We have about 10" where I am in central Pa, with 3-6" more coming tonight supposedly!

Malto
02-13-2014, 19:38
Reschedule. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you would be able to make that trip in two days under the conditions.

flemdawg1
02-14-2014, 12:03
Reschedule. It is HIGHLY unlikely that you would be able to make that trip in two days under the conditions.

I agree, skip it. Unless you are a real winter sportsman (very experienced in snowshoeing, xc sking, etc.), a foot or 2 of snow is not the time for a long weekend hike. If you are really determined to try out your winter mojo for the first time, I'd do a 4-8 mile overnight. And be careful around PenMar, there's some big ole rocks lurking under the snow.

Studlintsean
02-14-2014, 14:26
Any body planning on being in this area this weekend? I don't plan on putting in serious miles but I'd like to get some snow camping in so I think im gonna do a 1 nighter. If I go, ill provide an update after for others who might be interested.

Malto
02-14-2014, 14:44
Any body planning on being in this area this weekend? I don't plan on putting in serious miles but I'd like to get some snow camping in so I think im gonna do a 1 nighter. If I go, ill provide an update after for others who might be interested.

I am pondering heading into the snow this weekend maybe for an overnighter. Likely a bit north near Duncannon.

usualsuspect
02-27-2014, 18:01
I am pondering heading into the snow this weekend maybe for an overnighter. Likely a bit north near Duncannon.

Does anybody know the current trail conditions for this area? I was looking to do ~100 mile section hike from Front Royal to Pen Mar park, but I'm slightly concerned about the weather and ice.

Happy44
02-27-2014, 18:38
Do the 4 state challenge !

usualsuspect
02-27-2014, 20:19
Ha tempting, but with the shorter days in March + ice it might be tough. A few years ago I was running pretty high mileage, and think I could have done the 4 state challenge without much of a problem. I'm still in decent running shape, but not quite as good as then, so was just looking to do 20 mile days in non-icy conditions. Obviously snow and ice would slow me down somewhat.

Studlintsean
02-27-2014, 20:38
I hiked in SNP this past weekend and the conditions were fine. I also hiked in the Linden area two weeks ago and there was ~18 inches of snow. That snow should be melted by now. Keep an eye on the weather as we might get some snow early next week.

AegisIII
02-27-2014, 22:41
I cannot say closeup, but today I was still able to see snow on South Mountain north of Black Rock in Maryland. (viewing from the valley below).

mak1277
02-28-2014, 09:11
Depending on where you are, there will likely still be some snow. I hiked last Saturday just south of Harper's Ferry and there were points on the trail where I was post-holing in nearly a foot of snow...despite it being close to 60* out.

Doc Mike
02-28-2014, 09:23
Still spots that the snow hasn't melted and more expected on Sunday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

usualsuspect
02-28-2014, 12:04
Thanks folks for the responses. Given the snow forecast for Sunday night/monday, I think I'll have better luck going farther south to southern Virginia (or Smokies if I can get a permit quickly). I talked to a ranger at SNP over the phone, and it sounds like there's ~6 inches of snow around there currently. I'd rather not be postholing for the majority of my trip.

I'm looking to go anywhere south of PA, and it looks like the temps and weather are much milder the farther south I go, even at higher elevations.