PDA

View Full Version : How to tell if your fuel canister is almost empty

slbirdnerd
02-12-2014, 14:00
I just had one of those "Holy crap, I never knew!" moments when looking up the weight on a fuel canister and saw this in the description:

Fuel Gauge: Built-in float gauge determines how much fuel is left (4 oz. and 8 oz. canisters).

What??? It's true... You float the canister in your water-filled pot. See the pic on the side of the fuel canister (clearly I never looked). Anyone ever do this?

colorado_rob
02-12-2014, 14:18
Very cool, thanks for sharing, I might have to switch to MSR canisters (primus, snow peak or jetboil canisters don't have that as far as I know).

However, if you use canisters enough, you can usually tell just by shaking them about how much is left. I can. Once you stop feeling anything sloshing around inside, you know your close to empty, a couple more boils left. Plus, I generally know how many days a canister will last. Still, that little gauge thing is cool, again, thanks!

TAG
02-12-2014, 14:30
the built in gauge is cool. i've always made my own. I have an empty canister that I've marked with initial full point and the floating empty point. I just transfer that marks over to every new canister I buy.

saltysack
02-12-2014, 16:06
Cold weather...bring full one..just learned the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Night Train
02-12-2014, 16:09
Good info, thanks for sharing.

FarmerChef
02-12-2014, 16:33
Oooh that's neat. Thanks for sharing!

Dogwood
02-12-2014, 17:13
I feel like such an idiot. Missed it printed on the can. It never computed. Uhh, can someone tell me how to spell the? Wait, I have two cases of the old cans without that pictorial. I feel better about myself now. THX.