PDA

View Full Version : the term "thru hiker" (spelling)

DavidNH
02-12-2014, 14:49
It seems to be universal.. both here and among hikers elsewhere to speak of "thru" hikers rather than "through" hikers. I've even written it as thru hiker myself, even on my resume!

why the unique spelling? I'm wondering if it might not be better to write "through" hiker in writing that would be read by non-hikers (resume, stories to be published in magazines or submitted to a writing contest).

The watermanfund.org has a writing contest for which I am working on an essay and am wondering which spelling of the word is best to use?

Thanks,

DavidNH

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 14:51
through is proper

bfayer
02-12-2014, 14:59
Does not sound improper to me.

From http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/thru

Definition of THRU

variant of through

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2014, 15:01
English is a living language and evolves new words all the time through common usage. Thru-hiker is vernacular in the sense that it is peculiar to a specific activity and commonly used. Provided you briefly identify that use in everyday hiker speech and writing, you would be correct in using it.

HikerMom58
This is a funny thread! Seems someone else had the same question!

If you are entering a writing contest, I would go with through hike.

https://www.facebook.com/PCTAFan/posts/10151437594277985

hikerboy57
think throughway

sent from a samsung galaxy far far away

Tuckahoe
02-12-2014, 15:05
http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/threw-through-thru

martinb
02-12-2014, 15:05
It's lighter without the three extra letters.

Lone Wolf
02-12-2014, 15:12
every time i went to springer folks would ask me if i was through hiking and i said hell no, i just started

hikerboy57
02-12-2014, 15:14
para espanol,marque dos.

max patch
02-12-2014, 15:15
Earl Shaffers book - published by the ATC - is titled : WALKING WITH SPRING the first thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

Thats good enough for me.

illabelle
02-12-2014, 15:17
English is a living language and evolves new words all the time through common usage. Thru-hiker is vernacular in the sense that it is peculiar to a specific activity and commonly used. Provided you briefly identify that use in everyday hiker speech and writing, you would be correct in using it.

Agree.
While the proper spelling may be "through", it appears to me that there is a widely held consensus among backpackers to use "thru." Those who read your article are those with an interest in the topic and either are already familiar or need to become familiar with the common usage.

bfayer
02-12-2014, 15:18
If you write about your personal vehicle, do you call it a "car" or an "automobile"? I doubt anyone on here would ding you for using car, although if you wish to use proper english, automobile is more correct.

This is like the who, whom discussion. At one time if you mixed them up, it would earn you a circle of red ink. Today even the little brown book says who is appropriate in all but the most formal of writing.

Mags
02-12-2014, 15:30
Donuts / Doughnuts
Gray /Grey
Draught / Draft
The numerous towns in New England in -boro at the end vs -borough (Foxboro, Attleboro)

....you get the idea

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2014, 15:35
I would add that virtually every book or article ever written on the subject uses "thru-hike", "thru-hiker", "thru-hiking", etc. ATC uses it pretty much exclusively in publication as well, and as they act in an official capacity, their use further establishes the spelling and usage.

tiptoe
02-12-2014, 15:39
David, as a former copy editor, I'd advise choosing whichever term you prefer. If it were my choice, I'd go with "thru hiker" because that's what is commonly used, as far as I can tell. On first use, define the term, and you should be fine. Whichever you choose, use it consistently. A foolish consistency may be the hobgoblin of little minds, but a random inconsistency makes for sloppy writing and distracted reading.

Damn Yankee
02-12-2014, 15:44
As with any essay, you can either attack it as if your audience has no clue or gear it towards those who do. I prefer the aforementioned. You may use the first usage as through hike and then mention that among the hiking community, thru-hike is most used and continue the rest of the essay as thru-hike. To hyphenate or not is the other question.

4eyedbuzzard
02-12-2014, 15:47
As with any essay, you can either attack it as if your audience has no clue or gear it towards those who do. I prefer the aforementioned. You may use the first usage as through hike and then mention that among the hiking community, thru-hike is most used and continue the rest of the essay as thru-hike. To hyphenate or not is the other question.In most common use, and by ATC, it's hyphenated.

Rolls Kanardly
02-12-2014, 15:47
Will I bask in the glory of being a Thru-hiker differently than a Through-hiker?

Me thinks not. Rolls

Tuxedo
02-12-2014, 15:58
I slept with my English teacher to get straight D's and don't know noth'n proper... cept fall'r me some blazes on a thru! or should it be threw

HooKooDooKu
02-12-2014, 16:01
Event the National Park Service (GSMNP) used the phrase "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=2)".

Sierra2015
02-12-2014, 16:04
I slept with my English teacher to get straight D's and don't know noth'n proper... cept fall'r me some blazes on a thru! or should it be threw

O.o

Anywho... Haha. I think if you hyphenate anyone reading will understand it must be some sort of phrase. Even if it's completely new to them.

My vote is for "thru-hike."

DavidNH
02-12-2014, 18:42
Poor Tuxedo. Sounds like your English teacher wasn't impressed! straight D's!

Prime Time
02-12-2014, 18:44
think throughway

Think Drive Thru.

Starchild
02-12-2014, 18:51
Event the National Park Service (GSMNP) used the phrase "Appalachian Trail Thru-Hiker Backcountry Permit (https://smokiespermits.nps.gov/index.cfm?BCPermitTypeID=2)".

Well yes because that's what we are. If they used the term Through Hiker we could avoid the fees, because that's not what we are.

HikerMom58
02-12-2014, 18:56
Poor Tuxedo. Sounds like your English teacher wasn't impressed! straight D's!

Ahhhhh ha ha! Ohhhh SNAP!

Deacon
02-12-2014, 19:11
The state of New York spells it's main interstate as The New York State Thruway.

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/mobile/index.html

rocketsocks
02-12-2014, 21:34
It seems to be universal.. both here and among hikers elsewhere to speak of "thru" hikers rather than "through" hikers. I've even written it as thru hiker myself, even on my resume!

why the unique spelling? I'm wondering if it might not be better to write "through" hiker in writing that would be read by non-hikers (resume, stories to be published in magazines or submitted to a writing contest).

The watermanfund.org has a writing contest for which I am working on an essay and am wondering which spelling of the word is best to use?

Thanks,

DavidNHthrough sounds so final.

kayak karl
02-12-2014, 21:42
through sounds so final. it's the same word LOL thru is final also. how about a "thruing hiker"

canoe
02-12-2014, 22:54
y r u n 2 the spelling of thru hiking. Go talk a walk

Prime Time
02-13-2014, 10:36
it's the same word LOL thru is final also. how about a "thruing hiker"
Not so fast, that's an excellent point. "Through" can mean done while I've never seen thru used that way :)

Tuxedo
02-13-2014, 11:01
Not so fast, that's an excellent point. "Through" can mean done while I've never seen thru used that way :)

Now I'd like to admit I thought this thread was intended to be funny... added my humor or lack of. Today I see it's serious Engrish barriers all told about 10 different ways to interpret the sound |THro͞o|.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2f-MZ2HRHQ

kayak karl
02-13-2014, 11:12
deffinition; Thru (thro̅o̅) prep., adv. & adj. Informal Through. Maybe if you hiked in tuxes, it would then be "Through Hike" :)

Tuxedo
02-13-2014, 11:30
deffinition; Thru (thro̅o̅) prep., adv. & adj. Informal Through. Maybe if you hiked in tuxes, it would then be "Through Hike" :)

I like the way your thinking

I Tuxedo, Chief of Formal wear of the AT declare all Thru-hikes require Top n Tails, Bowtie and Dickies

Another Kevin
02-13-2014, 11:31
The New York Thruway is always spelt thus. Even Strunk and White condoned that usage, observing that 'throughway' is too long a word to read when you are going sixty.

mak1277
02-13-2014, 11:36
I think "thru-hiker" is fine...but if I read a resume that used "thru" instead of "through" in a general sense, that person would not be coming in for an interview.

kayak karl
02-13-2014, 11:42
I like the way your thinking

I Tuxedo, Chief of Formal wear of the AT declare all Thru-hikes require Top n Tails, Bowtie and Dickies

NO, "Thru" denotes casual dress. :)

brings up "Ever feel like the whole world is a tuxedo and your a pair of brown shoes? ~George Goebel

Seatbelt
02-13-2014, 11:49

Thanks,

DavidNH

Looks to me like everyone must be bored to death. I'm thru(through,threw, etc) with this thread.:)

kayak karl
02-13-2014, 12:18
Looks to me like everyone must be bored to death. I'm thru(through,threw, etc) with this thread.:) there is a whole thread on threw hikers.

http://www.ballsofsteelorfullretard.com/images/8.jpg

Seatbelt
02-13-2014, 12:26
there is a whole thread on threw hikers.

http://www.ballsofsteelorfullretard.com/images/8.jpg
I remember that one LOL

ki0eh
02-13-2014, 12:27
A "through hiker" is defined in 58 Pa.Code 135.42 http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/058/chapter135/s135.42.html for the purpose of identifying those who are allowed to camp in PA State Game Lands along the A.T. That differs significantly from the meaning of "thru-hiker". Nearly all "thru-hikers" are "through hikers," with the possible exception of these guys: http://appalachianloop.tumblr.com

kayak karl
02-13-2014, 12:34
y r u n 2 the spelling of thru hiking. Go talk a walk maybe he's getting a tatoo and doesn't want any regerts.

lemon b
02-16-2014, 10:48
It is thru. just like airborne is not airborn or airbourne. Its the common usage that creates the meaning.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2014, 11:05
Thru may be incorrect with respect to proper english, but that ship sailed. Our english is improper and it's something to be proud of; it's a demonstration of our diversity. I don't think many people realize how many "english words" are not actually english.

Through-hiker may be proper, but proper english is best left to those that don't respect our history and diversity.

kayak karl
02-16-2014, 11:08
It is thru. just like airborne is not airborn or airbourne. Its the common usage that creates the meaning.
so, if it is written enough times it must be the truth? sounds like WB :D

max patch
02-16-2014, 11:17
Google says...

"through hiker" has 16,000 results

"thru hiker" has 182,000 results

bfayer
02-16-2014, 11:27
so, if it is written enough times it must be the truth? sounds like WB :D

When its comes to language it is true. That is how written language develops. If it didn't we would still be writing our "s" as "f", and spelling "color" as "colour".

Language evolves.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

pipsissewa
02-16-2014, 11:37
"Appa LACH ian"/"Appa LAYCH ian"... . :D

show me the monkey
02-17-2014, 11:58
Not to put even more of a twist, there is also: "Throo Hiker" as seen on the guard rail at Stecoah Gap... but I don't think that's correct in anyone's book.

HikerMom58
02-17-2014, 12:19
Ha... I had to click on this thread to see what show me the monkey had to say! :banana

LAF
02-17-2014, 12:28
the use of "thru"is not unique to hikers/backpackers; I used the spelling for years in corp world, as did many others. Seems we humans are lazy creatures "thanks to technology and texting" we seem to have lost the use of proper english and spelling (yep, sadly I'm definitely included on that list). Kinda like using @ vs. "at" which also became common in corp. Although I've yet to see anyone refer to the AT as the @ - hope I didn't just start something - ha

bfayer
02-17-2014, 16:22
Although I've yet to see anyone refer to the AT as the @ - hope I didn't just start something - ha

Too late. The box is open, you can't close it now.

Just remember, its all your fault :)

LAF
02-17-2014, 16:40
Too late. The box is open, you can't close it now.

Just remember, its all your fault :)

Maybe we should move that over to the "change the blaze" color thread and the blazes could then be orange @ :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rolls Kanardly
02-25-2014, 19:46
For those of you who are through hiking your "thru hike", I am out of here. Rolls

-SEEKER-
02-26-2014, 08:56
For those of you who are through hiking your "thru hike", I am out of here. Rolls

You nailed it.

canoe
02-26-2014, 09:13
I am sure the thru spelling came from Drive THRU at the burger places. They dont spell it drive through

ki0eh
02-26-2014, 12:04
I am sure the thru spelling came from Drive THRU at the burger places. They dont spell it drive through

So THAT's why the thru hiker always wants to hit McD's when they come to a town (that has it)...

Lone Wolf
02-26-2014, 12:06
I am sure the thru spelling came from Drive THRU at the burger places. They dont spell it drive throughbanks also. liquor stores too

rickb
02-26-2014, 13:18
I think "thru-hiker" is fine...but if I read a resume that used "thru" instead of "through" in a general sense, that person would not be coming in for an interview.

Sure makes sense if you are hiring a proof reader.

James Hare used "through" in his significant 2-volume set that was published in 1975. I am guessing the change to "thru" happened some time afterward. Or is that afterwards? Good God, I have no idea-- public schools ruined me.

bfayer
02-26-2014, 13:25
Sure makes sense if you are hiring a proof reader.

James Hare used "through" in his significant 2-volume set that was published in 1975. I am guessing the change to "thru" happened some time afterward. Or is that afterwards? Good God, I have no idea-- public schools ruined me.

It could also be that his editor changed all the thrus with throughs, and he originally wrote thru instead of through :-?