PDA

View Full Version : Apple I-Phone GPS Question

smithjv
02-12-2014, 20:21
OK, I am not a "techie." So excuse the inability to fully explain the situation with correct verbiage.

I just got an Apple 5G I-phone. It has a map app that has GPS capability.

How do I download the AT trail and shelters (no parking lot data tho) onto this app so I can navigate relative to he trail?

I am open to other mapping apps also (if free).

KEEP IT SIMPLE AND EXPLAIN EACH STEP IN PAINFULLY EXACT METHOD. (e.g. See Spot; see Spot open AT website . . . etc)

Doc Mike
02-12-2014, 20:54
Download the app ATTrail from the App Store it have all the shelters,water, and road crossings already them. Just download the section you want.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chair-man
02-12-2014, 21:20
I am open to other mapping apps also (if free).

You'll want to get the Google Earth App then download the KML files from the ATC website (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/about-the-trail/mapping-gis-data/mapping-gis-data-download-agreement). You'll need a zip app to unzip them. They have 3 KML files. The red center line which is the trail (far better then the one that comes with googel maps), shelters & parking. All free.

or try the free Backpacker Lite App. (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/backpacker-gps-trails-lite/id419269554?mt=8) I like the google earth better.

Jagger
02-12-2014, 23:20
Smithjv, I too am technology challenged, but let me try and give you step by step instructions for a App you can get/buy.

1. Your phone should have an icon called "App Store". It's blue and has a circle around an A.
2. Tap on that Icon and it will take you to the "App Store" app.
3. Look at the bottom of the screen and you should see a little magnifying glass. It's the fourth icon from the left and says Search under it on my phone.
4. Tap on that it it will take you to the search function. Tap the grey bar at the top of the screen ( again a little magnifying glass in the grey bar ) and enter in Appalachian Trail GPS. It should take you to an app called ATTTrail 1. If you scroll over you will find ATTTrail 2 etc. Pick the section you will be hiking and tap on the box with the $1.99 in it. These apps ARE NOT FREE, but pretty cheap IMHO.
5. Once you tap on the $1.99 it will turn to a green box that says "Buy" and then a box that say "Sign In to ITunes Store will appear. Sign in to it and it will download the app to your phone.
6. Once it is on your phone, tap on the app and it will open it up. Tap on the little ? in the lower left hand part of the screen and it will help you use the app.

I have used it a couple of time on section hikes and it's pretty cool. A couple of things to note. The cumulative mileage is off a little ( at least going NOBO out of Springer ) but once you figure that out the point to point is pretty accurate. Running the app for any period of time will eat your batter up quickly. There are ways to conserve battery, but it's really just useful to open the app find out where you are and see what's ahead.

Final thought...I like the standard AT guide better! but not a bad $1.99 for a section hike. Hope that helps and wasn't too basic of info.

smithjv
02-13-2014, 08:38
How do you know what sections correspond to what start/stop points? Is ATTTrail 1 start at Springer or is it the approach trail to springer? The app store has plumorchard shelter section as an example for all.

LAF
02-13-2014, 08:51
if you select the "app" you're interested in, e.g., ATTrail, don't click the$1.99 purchase button but click on the map image and it will take you to description of the app. In that description it tells you the section it covers.

I like Guthook's map app: it is much pricier but has lots of info, all the "waypoints" including some that are unnamed. Google Earth is a good resource as already pointed out by Chair-man - it's free and with the file from the ATC, you can zoom in anywhere along the trail

Starchild
02-13-2014, 09:13
How do you know what sections correspond to what start/stop points? Is ATTTrail 1 start at Springer or is it the approach trail to springer? The app store has plumorchard shelter section as an example for all.

I believe AT Trails app starts at the approach trail, but not certain. It should say in it's description.

I bought each section as I went thru, after returning from the trail I restored my phone, I have since to reinstall most of the AT Trail's apps, just the ones that I have used since my thru, ones close to my home.

10-K
02-13-2014, 10:27
I like Guthook's map app: it is much pricier but has lots of info, all the "waypoints" including some that are unnamed. Google Earth is a good resource as already pointed out by Chair-man - it's free and with the file from the ATC, you can zoom in anywhere along the trail

Have to agree - I bought Guthook's apps for the PCT. I'm assuming the info is at least 90% correct and if it is there's a wealth of information at your fingertips.

If available I'd recommend an app designed for a specific trail over trying to cobble something together with Google Earth.

smithjv
02-14-2014, 21:00

The map #1 goes from Springer to Fontana Dam. It'll work great for POIs in conjunction with Google Earth for closer in work.
Than fo all the tips everyone. Good to go .

LDog
02-16-2014, 14:54
I like Guthook's map app: it is much pricier but has lots of info, all the "waypoints" including some that are unnamed.

I agree. Especially for those not tech oriented. Just started playing with it, and it seems really intuitive. Download the maps for the section that goes with the app in town, and be able to access them offline on the trail. Waypoints for shelters, water sources, and road crossings are visible on the map - and the app gives you distance to each based on your location. Elevation profile shows waypoints. And the customer service is amazing!

http://www.guthookhikes.com/category/app-news

No personal interest, just looks like a much better/easier solution than any of the others I've tried ...

xnav
02-16-2014, 15:31
I used Guthook's map app on my section hike from Harpers Ferry to Duncannon last fall. It worked great. It was a little limited in info at the time. However, it has been updated quite a bit since then and I look forward to using it this April on a hike from Duncannon, PA to Delaware Water Gap, PA. It is not free, but is cheaper than buying map coverage for the area. I used it and google maps exclusively during my hike. The only drawback is total reliance on a cell phone for map data. I also carried data sheets from two trail guides and a storage battery to keep my cell phone charged for 10 days.