PDA

View Full Version : Will this pack work for an extended hike (or even thru-hike)?

he.who.forgets
02-12-2014, 22:18
So I've used this pack for travel for several years now and I love it but I've never used it in the backcountry. Just curious if this pack may work for section or thru hiking the AT...it's an Osprey Waypoint 65 (3000 cubic inch main pack and 900 cubic inch detachable day pack). My goal weight is in the 35 lb range. Cheers!

Malto
02-12-2014, 22:54
Why would it not work?.????? There is no such thing as a thru hike pack. A thru hike is just a series of 3-5 day hikes.

but...... Have you tried to put your gear in it along with the appropriate food to see if it fits? That will answer your question.

Ox97GaMe
02-12-2014, 23:59
I agree with Malto. people hike extended distances in all brands/sizes of packs. Every extended hike is a continuous sequence shorter hikes between resupply points. There are 2 primary considerations for me when I am looking at a new pack.

a) does my gear fit into the pack. I dont want a lot of stuff hanging out, or being strapped outside. I also dont want a lot of loose space inside the pack that doesnt ride well. I have 3 packs; 6600 cc for my winter snowshoe treks, 3500 cc for colder weather hiking, 2500 cc for summer hiking.

b) how accessible is my gear that I need when I need it. I want items like water filter, water bottle, headlamp, snacks, TP, pack cover, maps, and camera to be easily accessible without unpacking a large quantity of items. I like to be able to keep wet gear away from dry gear. I like my tent/hammock to be the first thing out and last thing in my pack.

Every hiker has different needs. Understand what you characteristics you prefer in a pack and make your choices accordingly.

moytoy
02-13-2014, 08:24
Sure it will work, it is a pack built for traveling not hiking. It's a little heavy for it's size but like others said above, if it works for you then it's OK.

Tuckahoe
02-13-2014, 09:01
Just like the previous posts, sure it will work. But the intended use of the pack is for travel as luggage rather than actual hiking, and I am assuming checked luggage, so its built to be bullet proof and heavy -- its 5 1/2 lbs, a pound heavier than my old school external frame.

If you are able to get another pack, you can find packs with the same capacity at half the weight, capable of carrying 35 lbs, and are purposely built for backpacking.

he.who.forgets
02-14-2014, 13:10
Thanks for the input! I guess the first step is acquiring the rest of my gear first to see if it will pack efficiently. I just didn't want to spend the extra cash on a new pack since I already had this one. Thanks again!

jdc5294
02-15-2014, 21:38
I'm not just trying to plant doubt in your head, just giving you my honest opinion. First off yes that pack will work. It's plenty big enough, and the weight it's rated for is obviously enough for your goal. My gripe is there's packs out there that weigh less then half what that one does with comparable volume as well as weight ratings, and you won't have to spend more then $250, hunt for a used one and it'll be cheaper. You could cut down on costs more if you were willing to sacrifice 10 liters or so. I had a 60 liter pack and it was very roomy even when loaded for bear with food and water. My final thought (and this is a whole other topic) is that anyone thinking about carrying more then 30 pounds fully loaded for 5 days needs to pear down a good bit.