PDA

View Full Version : Bought a quilt need a pad

dreamweaver21
02-12-2014, 22:50
I have been reading on here and posting gear and prep questions in preparation for my 1st section hike in April. I just ordered an enlightened equipment Revelation 20 degree duck down quilt. I have a pack (Osprey Atmos 65). I have a tent (Eureaka spitfire). So I have most of the big stuff out of the way. I need a sleeping pad. Any reason not to get a Therm-A-Rest Prolite? Seems to get decent reviews, costs about $100 and weighs a pound. Is there anything better or cheaper or smarter I should be looking at instead?

4shot
02-12-2014, 23:57
I love the Exped mats. Took the model 7 synmat on my thruhike and have the 9 for winter camping. It's heavy (by pad standards) but has great insulation and more importantly, is ultra comfortable. I had trouble sleeping before I found this brand.They are a bit pricey but well worth it if you have trouble sleeping on the ground. That may be a function of age - for years I was fine with just the blue closed cell foam pad from WallyWorld. the 7 gave up the ghost (probably had 250 - 300 nights use out of it so it will certainly last for a thru) on my last section hike so I replaced it with the thermorest Neoair at the outfitter in Franklin NC. they didn't carry the Exped line. the Neoair is ok but I wish I had my exped back.More comfortable (to me). YMMV.

daddytwosticks
02-13-2014, 07:19
I have been reading on here and posting gear and prep questions in preparation for my 1st section hike in April. I just ordered an enlightened equipment Revelation 20 degree duck down quilt. I have a pack (Osprey Atmos 65). I have a tent (Eureaka spitfire). So I have most of the big stuff out of the way. I need a sleeping pad. Any reason not to get a Therm-A-Rest Prolite? Seems to get decent reviews, costs about $100 and weighs a pound. Is there anything better or cheaper or smarter I should be looking at instead? The Prolite you described is a workhorse. Not as luxurious as those fancy air bags, but better than a thin blue pad from Walmart. It's a great compromise between comfort, durability, and weight. I tried a Neoair, but went back to the Prolite. YMMV. :)

mak1277
02-13-2014, 14:49
I have a Neoair x-lite. It's the only pad I've ever had that lets me sleep through the whole night without waking up at all. I have no need to try another and for me it was well worth the price (which is admittedly quite steep).

hoppy from GA
02-13-2014, 17:55
I've had a Prolite Plus for 4 years at about 20 nights a year. I'm planning on getting something more expensive when it breaks, but it still working. I fold it in half lengthwise and roll it up and it easily fits in my pack. It has kept me warm down to 15 degrees. Very rugged.

CarlZ993
02-13-2014, 23:52
Lot of personal preference on sleeping pads. How you sleep (back sleeper vs side sleeper) can also come into play. If you tend to sleep on your side, something w/ more cushioning might be appropriate, i.e. NeoAir X-lite, Exped Synmat UL-7, etc. If you primarily sleep on your back, you can get by on less cushioning, i.e. Ridgerest (closed cell foam), Thermarest Prolite, etc.

For many years, I used a closed cell foam pad (Ridgerest or Z-rest/Z-lite). Around 6 years ago, I started using inflatable pads. Started out w/ a Big Agnes & then went to the original NeoAir. For my thru-hike, I used the NeoAir X-lite. That pad was great! Never got a leak the entire trip. But, I worried about getting a leak the entire trip.

If you go w/ a self-inflating or inflatable pad, be sure to use a ground sheet in the shelters. Helps cut down the odds of snagging something that would puncture your pad.

dreamweaver21
02-19-2014, 23:51
Update on this... I ended up with a Klymit Static V off Amazon for $50. It was kind of an impulse buy but it came in today and I like it. It is small and what I would consider reasonably light, It says 18oz but my scale says 20oz. It blows up easy and fits in the stuff sack easy so I am happy with it so far. The only thing I am not happy with just by playing with it in the house so far is my tent (Eureaka spitfire). I knew it wasn't free standing when I bought it but I didn't realize how much that annoys me. I hope to use it a few times before I pass judgment though.

Drybones
02-20-2014, 09:31
When I got into backpacking I read all the pad reviews I could find and bought a Thermarest Prolite Plus because of the great reviews, I hated it and could not sleep on it, neither could my wife. In addition to not sleeping well it's difficult to pack down to a reasonable size and didn't come with a bag. I then bought an Exped pad that slept good but weighted 2.5 pounds, then got the Exped Synmat 7 UL, like it a lot. When I saw a BA Sand Mountain (old version of the Insulated air core I believe) on sale for $45 I bought it. At 24 oz the BA weighs 8 oz more than the Exped but is a good pad and a good buy. I see the BA insullated air core on sales often...I'd say this is the best buy, I believe it's also more durable...but the Synmat 7 UL is my favorite.

bfayer
02-20-2014, 11:34
When I got into backpacking I read all the pad reviews I could find and bought a Thermarest Prolite Plus because of the great reviews, I hated it and could not sleep on it, neither could my wife. In addition to not sleeping well it's difficult to pack down to a reasonable size and didn't come with a bag. I then bought an Exped pad that slept good but weighted 2.5 pounds, then got the Exped Synmat 7 UL, like it a lot. When I saw a BA Sand Mountain (old version of the Insulated air core I believe) on sale for $45 I bought it. At 24 oz the BA weighs 8 oz more than the Exped but is a good pad and a good buy. I see the BA insullated air core on sales often...I'd say this is the best buy, I believe it's also more durable...but the Synmat 7 UL is my favorite.

I can relate to just about all of this. When I was younger I slept on a ensolight CCF, then a ridge rest, eventually moved to a Thermarest trail self inflating, then to BA Insulated Air Core, which I really liked, and still do.

Then I picked up a Exped Synmat UL 7 LW, and now it would be hard to go back to anything else. Nothing wrong with the BA pad, but the Exped with the Schnozzel Pumpbag is a perfect combination for me. The pump bag makes it easy to inflate and acts as my dry bag for my sleeping gear, and for me the long wide is so comfortable it's worth the small penalty in weight (I am 6'2" and ~225lbs.)

I have not tried the Klymit , but I hear good things about it.

As for the tent, I have found through the years "free standing" is way over rated. The only place they shine is where you are forced to use a tent platform, which are few and far between. Everywhere else, stakes work just fine (except your living room). I say give it a try.

eghama
02-26-2014, 03:52
You'll like the Klymit Static V. It's what I used on my thru last year. Comfortable sleep, and it packs down pretty small. And it's durable. Good luck on your hike.