PDA

View Full Version : iPod Nano

dje97001
09-08-2005, 12:59
Wow! Not that I'm convinced I want to have music with me, but... wow.
http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/images/ipn_hand_product.jpg
iPod nano Features

4 GB ($249):

Holds up to 1,000 songs and full-color album art
Only 3.5 x 1.6 x 0.27 inches and 1.5 ounces
Bright 1.5-inch color LCD display
Up to 14 hours of battery life(1)
Apple Click Wheel
Charges and syncs via USB
Accessory-compatible Dock connector
Completely skip-free playback
Works with Mac OS X or Windows 2000/XP
Plays music, podcasts and audiobooks
Holds up to 25,000 photos(2)
Syncs contacts, calendars and to-do lists
For $200 you can get a 2GB one.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-08-2005, 13:15
just take a little solar charger with you and you're set...

dje97001
09-08-2005, 13:29
yeah, and because I don't know much about iPods, I didn't know they sold those...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71107/wo/Yf1j03oEcWq02pD2WOJ1uZlS3qt/2.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.1.1.1.1.1.0.1

of course, that adds 5.5 oz. and 100 bucks...

I wonder how much the cradle weighs...?

titanium_hiker
09-08-2005, 21:25
check out the ipod flea (video link) ( http://www.nytimes.com/video/html/2005/06/29/technology/highbandwidth/windowsmedia/20050629_GUEST_VIDEO.htm )

titanium_geek

hikerjohnd
09-08-2005, 22:23
check out the ipod flea (video link) (http://www.nytimes.com/video/html/2005/06/29/technology/highbandwidth/windowsmedia/20050629_GUEST_VIDEO.htm)

titanium_geek
That made my evening! Thanks for the link!

Turtle2
09-08-2005, 22:28
That is funny! Thanks for the laugh! My Mac-aholic husband found it less than humorous tho'. By the way, if you don't want to get the Ipod NANO, you can get the Ipod cell phone. Holds 100 songs. In stores this weekend.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-09-2005, 01:11
yeah, and because I don't know much about iPods, I didn't know they sold those...
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/71107/wo/Yf1j03oEcWq02pD2WOJ1uZlS3qt/2.0.0.15.1.0.6.9.9.17.0.1.1.1.1.1.1.0.1

of course, that adds 5.5 oz. and 100 bucks...

I wonder how much the cradle weighs...? wow, I never noticed the solio before... didn't realize that apple sold that.

titanium_hiker
09-09-2005, 08:26
:D glad you enjoyed the ipod flea. What I want to know is WHAT happened to the Ipod Mini- it seems to have disapeared...

If I ever got an ipod, it would be the 60gb cause I don't hike that much (more a techie really) and it could double as external harddrive.

cool that the nano comes in black- the U2 must have been popular.

titanium

dje97001
09-09-2005, 08:54
Yeah apparently the nano is replacing the mini. You can watch the announcement on apple's site--Jobs says that since everyone else was trying to mimic the success of the mini (apparently the best selling apple ipod) they "decided to do something bold. Replace it." Sounds to me like they saw that flash memory was getting more efficient and they realized that if they could make it smaller, so could someone else. If the audience of the mini wanted to have the smallest thing possible it makes sense to keep pushing.

Funny... no where does anyone from apple mention the thru-hiking community as a target audience:p

tlbj6142
09-09-2005, 09:09
Funny... no where does anyone from apple mention the thru-hiking community as a target audience:pFrankly, I have never understood why folks want to listen to music while hiking. The silence is the one of my primary reasons for hiking.

HYOH

slide
09-17-2005, 00:46
I personally would not mind some native american flute music or equivalent for meditation and relaxation. While I would never substitute music for the sounds of Nature there are times that music affects me on a higher level and having some available could just top off the joy of the experience, whatever it may be.

Also, I do own instruments like flutes but in terms of weight and musical selection, the Nano might be something to contemplate, at least in my case.

A-Train
09-17-2005, 10:38
IMO these ipod products suck. Don't waste ur money. Two have broke on me and many of my friends' have too.

titanium_hiker
09-17-2005, 11:28
Ipod Nano? or just Ipod in general? My friend got an ipod (the original big white kind) and he was out cruising with some friends. the car (a vdub bug) died on the hill. He hopped out to push, his ipod fell out of his pocket and a taxi roared past, running over it. (remember the quote- tragedy is when it happens to us, comedy is when it happens to someone else?)

Anyway, besides the skid marks on his cover and a fractured harddrive, it was fine! he canibalised it for parts to sell to other ipod users. (I dunno if that is a good thing for ipod durability- if they were that good it wouldn't need parts)

titanium

Lilred
09-18-2005, 01:18
Doesn't it cost something like a dollar a song to download on those things? $1000 bucks to load it up or a transistor radio, I'll take a radio.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-18-2005, 13:54
Doesn't it cost something like a dollar a song to download on those things? $1000 bucks to load it up or a transistor radio, I'll take a radio.
Only if you're purchasing songs from the iTunes Music Store, it doesn't cost anything to load CDs you already own on to the iPod.

bigcat2
09-18-2005, 14:21
I too have an iPod and enjoy it quite a lot. As for just listening to the sounds of nature when I hike, I do like to do that. In my case though, after a long day w/ just ear worms roaring in my head, it would be nice to hear the whole song for a change. :) I don't think I'll take my hiking though because I'd most definitely lose it. As for the songs, you can indeed load your CD's onto your computer and then sync them to your iPod if you have iTunes, which is free to download. Another neat feature w/ iTunes is that they offer free songs every week to download. I've gotten several that way and they usually come out on Tuesdays, just a FYI. Figures they would come out w/ the nano weeks after I got my 20 gb. :datz oh well, such is life.

Lilred
09-18-2005, 22:23
Only if you're purchasing songs from the iTunes Music Store, it doesn't cost anything to load CDs you already own on to the iPod.

Thanks for that info. Told hubbie I wanted one for christmas and he told me about the charges for songs. I'm technologically illiterate. HAH! He's got no excuse now......

Panzer1
09-18-2005, 23:15
The only problem I have is with the fact that you have to carry a heavy recharger (don't know exactly how much it weights) and even then you can not recharge unless you have an outlet. Remember, if you recharge without permission it is "theft of services". It's just not right to do that.

OK, it can play for 14 hours without needing a recharge, assuming you always remember to turn it off when done, which doesn't always happen in the real world, especially if you listen to it in your sleeping bag.

There are FM radios that run on a single watch battery that last for a long time. They only weight around 1 oz. You can also get the weather on them. I had one of these small FM radios with me on Sept 11, when NY was attacked. I was able to listen to the news and the president that night. It made a big difference to me.

Panzer

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-19-2005, 11:26
The only problem I have is with the fact that you have to carry a heavy recharger (don't know exactly how much it weights) and even then you can not recharge unless you have an outlet. Remember, if you recharge without permission it is "theft of services". It's just not right to do that.

OK, it can play for 14 hours without needing a recharge, assuming you always remember to turn it off when done, which doesn't always happen in the real world, especially if you listen to it in your sleeping bag.

There are FM radios that run on a single watch battery that last for a long time. They only weight around 1 oz. You can also get the weather on them. I had one of these small FM radios with me on Sept 11, when NY was attacked. I was able to listen to the news and the president that night. It made a big difference to me.

Panzer Not true, not true... there are all sorts of ways to hack up a mobile (solar or alkaline batteries or solar for batteries (for camera) and baterry - ipod charger when not usinbatteries for camera) charger for an ipod... you can even buy a solar charger (very lighteweight) from apple.com (look up ipod chargers... it unfolds like a 'flower') kind of neat, solio makes it.

oh, and the AC wall-wart charger really isn't all that heavy (though it is heavier than the above listed solutions)

titanium_hiker
09-19-2005, 11:43
if I got an ipod, it would be the largest model possible, and I would use it as an external harddrive- unfortunatly I'm more geek than hiker. :)

solar is cool.

titanium

D'Artagnan
09-19-2005, 14:03
I am definitely a tech geek as evidenced by my having three iPods. I started out with the 40 Gig (3rd Generation). I dropped it a number of times which I believe was largely responsible for the failure of the hard-drive. When the Shuffle came out, I knew I had to have it. It was the first iPod to use the flash memory instead of a hard-drive. It's ultralight and can be accessorized with a water-proof case -- perfect for hiking -- which is how I use it the majority of the time. A couple months ago I bought the 60 Gig iPod Photo so I could store my hiking photos and load up more songs. The 60 also had a much longer battery life than my first iPod which was a major selling point for me. I'm really debating the nano and if you don't yet have an iPod, it looks like the way to go. You get the click wheel, color screen, flash memory and it's ultra-thin and lightweight.

As for music versus the sounds of nature, there are times when I need a little external motivation to push through some less-than-awe-inspiring sections of trail. A little Motown or Stevie Ray Vaughn always seems to do the trick. YMMV.

Mike
09-19-2005, 15:03
Very nice that the Nano uses flash instead of the hard drive. I was recently in the market for an MP3 player and discounted apples offerings because I have heard complaints about the hard drive models (problems with abuse causing a decided lack of operation) and the shuffle has no menu screen.

I ended up deciding on a samsung YP-MT6 1GB model for several reasons...

1. Price $130 from JR through amazon.com. At the time, very cheap.
2. Flash is more durable than a hard drive.
3. 40 hour battery life on one AA battery.
4. For the most part it got very favorable reviews and after a couple months of use I only have a couple of minor complaints.
5. Decent FM radio, good display screen, record from FM or mic or line in jack.

My desire for an MP3 player were pretty different than most though. I mainly listen to talk programs. I found Replay Radio (a program that allows you to record live webstreams) so I can record some of my favorite sports and talk programs and skip over the commercials when I listen to them later (tivo for radio). I also have a growing list of podcasts that I listen to on a regular basis.

As such I replace the content on my MP3 player on a regular (daily) basis so the 1GB size is great for my needs. I would have heavily considered the Nano if I had to make my choice agian, but as is, I am still very pleased with my decision.

I had been listening to the radio for about 9 hours a day during work and drive time. I had been pining for a new option for radio programs because of content and commercials. It was hard to string together 9 hours of radio programs that I am interested in and be able to contain my anger at 20 minutes per hour of commercials, traffic, weather & news on constant repeat.

I also have been very pleasantly surprised with podcasts. I am able to download programs that intrest me on topics from politics, F1 & IRL racing, christian teaching, news, tech, video game, board games, hiking, roller coasters... Since I started listening to podcasts, I would say that 50% of the programs I listen to are podcasts. Most have no commercials or sponsors. Most are decent audio quality. Most are done by people who are very enthusiastic about the topic their podcast deals with. Even when the audio quality and production isnt great, usually the topic is interesting enough that I can easily ignore some of the problems. If you havent investigated podcasting before, do yourself a favor and take a look at Podcast Alley or podcast.net and search for programs related to your favorite topics.

Sorry, most of this post didnt deal with the nano. I just have become quite fanatical about this stuff of late. Hope this info helps or sparks some interest. If you want to know more, drop me a personal message.

Panzer1
09-19-2005, 21:24
Not true, not true... there are all sorts of ways to hack up a mobile (solar or alkaline batteries or solar for batteries (for camera) and baterry - ipod charger when not usinbatteries for camera) charger for an ipod... you can even buy a solar charger (very lighteweight) from apple.com (look up ipod chargers... it unfolds like a 'flower') kind of neat, solio makes it.
oh, and the AC wall-wart charger really isn't all that heavy (though it is heavier than the above listed solutions)
Yea! How much do they wall charger weigh in ounces?? One man's "not too heavy" can be another man's "too heavy".. The charger for my cell phone weights 8 ounces. That's too heavy for me considering the phone only weights 4 ounces.

Panzer

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-19-2005, 23:17
eh, holding it in my hand it seems like it weighs about what my giga power ti stove weighs... so about 4 oz or so... that having been said, I'd still go solar or solar /aa mix...

Panzer1
09-19-2005, 23:43
eh, holding it in my hand it seems like it weighs about what my giga power ti stove weighs... so about 4 oz or so... that having been said, I'd still go solar or solar /aa mix...
Well at 4 ounces it is still far heavier that the Nano itself which only weights 1.5 oz. So it's not the weight of the MP3 player that I look at, its the weight of the recharger that counts.

As far as the Solar thing is concerned, how much does that weigh? I have never seen anyone on the trail with a solar recharger.

Panzer

12hrsN2AT
09-19-2005, 23:44
I swear by my 1 GB shuffle. I have no need for a screen since I only listen to old Dead or Phish shows and every song title is a date like; 03-21-79D1T5 (March 21st 1979 Disc1 Track5). I have come to a conclusion after owning every Ipod ever made. Some one like me that has over 200 GB of music needs a small player like a gig, since I change the music on it almost daily. People that have less than 40 GB of tunes, Like I did for years, can get a HD based player and be able to have their entire collection with them.
As for the Nano, I will wait until X-Mass and buy it when the price drops and the next new Ipod is out or I can find a used one cheap. If you do buy one, PLEASE take good care of it, it may end up with me one day

Pencil Pusher
09-20-2005, 04:32
200GB of music is insanity at it's best. I converted 150 cds or so to mp3 and it was 7GB. I didn't even filter out the junk songs I never listen to. That said, five gigs seems more than enough for even a tech geek. How many hours would it take to listen to 40-60GB, even after multiple battery recharges?

dje97001
09-20-2005, 07:43
Solio's Website says it weighs 165 grams (5.8 oz.). Now that is a good bit of weight. Unless you plan on using it (as they claim you can) for your cell phone, your digital camera, your nano, etc. Then, it is a pretty good deal (and you don't have to worry about theft of services!).

12hrsN2AT
09-20-2005, 08:41
200GB of music is insanity at it's best. I converted 150 cds or so to mp3 and it was 7GB. I didn't even filter out the junk songs I never listen to. That said, five gigs seems more than enough for even a tech geek. How many hours would it take to listen to 40-60GB, even after multiple battery recharges?
That is very ignorant. The GRateful Dead have over 30 years of 200+ nights of live music, 200 GB does not reflect a tenth of that, Phish has played almost 125 nighths a year from 1986 to 2003, well over 10000 GB of shows, Just because your music taste is mundane, doesn't mean I have to listen to the same version of a song over and over.

I have well over 200 GB of music but I only listen to about 200, DMB also releases all his concerts and those alone are 400 GB. A Tech GeeK like you could do wityh 1 GB, I am a professional Guitar Player (Nickalodeon, Spike, Commercials) and it's important to me. Tech Geeks like you seems to have the artsy gene missing. Please don't be afraid of what you don't understand. Apple makes Ipods with bigger and bigger HD's for a reason, because people like you think it's to much, won't make them stop.

To answer your second dumb question, it takes an entire lifetime to listen to music, at home, in the car, at work, with friends, at bars at concerts, anywhere I want and I am awake more than 40 hours a week. I have listend to all 200 GB of Dead and Phish and still download a show a day.

You seem very out of touch with the world, calling yourself a Tech Geek is way off base. (A Pencil Pusher is not a geek). This self proclaimed title may be stale. Take a look at www.deadbase.com or http://bt.etree.org/ They both have 1000's of free shows that would open the mind of any tech geek. Get a Bit Torrecnt, get some Flacs and SHNs and convert away. (Again, that's tech geek talk).

12hrsN2AT
09-20-2005, 08:45
PS If you knew anything about Ipods, you would know that Itunes has actually tells you your exact amount of GB and exactly how many hours they total.
6,512 Songs 221 GB 42 Days according to Itunes

Mike
09-20-2005, 09:32
That is very ignorant.

Tact seems to be an issue with you....

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-20-2005, 09:52
Solio's Website says it weighs 165 grams (5.8 oz.). Now that is a good bit of weight. Unless you plan on using it (as they claim you can) for your cell phone, your digital camera, your nano, etc. Then, it is a pretty good deal (and you don't have to worry about theft of services!).
Yeah, I'd be using it (or something similar) for iPod and DigiCam batteries

D'Artagnan
09-20-2005, 11:39
Dang, I thought most Dead fans were mellowwwww. Chill.

Alligator
09-20-2005, 11:50
Dang, I thought most Dead fans were mellowwwww. Chill.Only the West Coasters. East Coast fans are a little more edgier.

"Sleepy Alligator in the noon day sun, ...";)

12hrsN2AT
09-20-2005, 12:20
Only the West Coasters. East Coast fans are a little more edgier.

"Sleepy Alligator in the noon day sun, ...";) I am sorry. I didn't have my morning smoke yet. (normally a mellow hippie)
I do get offended when people think that the world consists of CD's. The amount of history that a live show has totally outweighs an overproduced multiple take studio album from the Dead or any band. I m just shocked in this day and age someone that claims to be a tech geek has such a small grasp on what the internet has done for the history of live recorded music. Places like Bit Torrent and Etree have thousands and thousands of people downloading legal free shows every day. I also download Podcasts that can average 1-2 GB each, as I stated in my original post as others have as well, the small Ipods are great for people with lots of music, for Pencil Pusher, a larger one with 20-40 GB of storage will hold the whole collection, I don't fault him for having a "normal" size library as he shouldn't fault me (insanity) in having an excessive one.

About the solio, please check the reviews, as I have read that it doesn't work that good, and when hiking in a place with shade trees around, it may not work at all.

Panzer1
09-20-2005, 20:30
This is why I say that the best way to power a MP3 player on the trail is to use AA or AAA batteries.

Also, be careful to use the correct charger to recharge your phone. Using the wrong recharger can cause the battery to explode.

Panzer

Panzer1
09-20-2005, 20:54
Here you go.. Dell has this MP3 player with an FM radio. The radio can be usefull at times.. It weighs less than the Ipod Nano. It still needs a recharger though.

Panzer

The new Dell DJ DittyTM is Slim and Trim at 1.29 ounces - light enough for heavy workouts or runs, yet plays about 220 songs for up to 14 hours.

512MB of storage for up to 220 songs
Integrated FM tuner
Easy to read 26x11mm LCD screen
Slim design measuring 3.6 x 1.1 x .5 inches and weighing only 1.29 ounces 1
Rechargeable Lithium Polymer battery with up to 14 hours of battery life
Includes earbuds, lanyard, and black & blue USB Cap only
Easy and affordable downloads via Musicmatch Jukebox by Y!Music
Compatible with Napster to Go
Compatible with Audible

manzana
09-21-2005, 09:22
I have been looking for a way to keep my Spanish refreshed on the trail and this looks good. Just listening an hour a day at the campsite would help a lot.
I can dump all of my Spanish CD's into this thing. Thanks for the good info..

APPLE

Newb
09-21-2005, 11:41
Why dont they put a a Solar Cell right on the Ipod so it can recoup energy from ambient light?

dje97001
09-21-2005, 11:45
NewB that is really an interesting idea. Like the old solar powered calculators. Granted you are talking about needing a lot more power, but anytime not in use... great concept--I wonder if they will ever do that?

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-21-2005, 12:03
Why dont they put a a Solar Cell right on the Ipod so it can recoup energy from ambient light?
The main problem I see with that is people, incorrectly, thinking that means it's a good idea to leave them out in the sunlight. Or on the dashboard of their cars... the liability and risk of that happening is probably more than Apple wants to deal with.

ABR
09-22-2005, 21:12
Frankly, I have never understood why folks want to listen to music while hiking. The silence is the one of my primary reasons for hiking.

I partially feel the same way, but decided to try bringing my iPod on my last hike for an alternate purpose -- reading. Install this ( http://www.tomsci.com/book2pod/ ) and you can carry a whole library at less than the weight of one book. The screen (I have a mono 20GB) is not the most pleasant to read from over long periods, but I found for a half hour or so each night it worked fine.

Another thing you can do (if you're really a tech geek, TM) is install linux on the thing (e.g., http://macupdate.com/info.php/id/19101), get a mic, and use it for high-quality recording. (The commercial recording attachments only do 8 KHz, good for making voice notes, but not for, e.g., recording the song of that rare wood thrush you've finally encountered.. ;)

Deafsmart
09-26-2005, 02:09
Noboby is require to buy anything from iTunes Music Store. Why bring library of Compact Discs (CDs) on Appalachian Trail while they can be digitally transfer into any of iPod family models. Universal connectivity with your computer(s) is through either USB and Firewire.

You can create your playlists and have it play selectively. You can share your music. To get in touch with real world and save newspaper pulps from trees, you can catch up news or commentary or weather check with Podcasts. If you are boring, you can listen one of many audiobooks such as Harry Potters series. Beside music, in serious iPod models, you can always synchronize (http://www.apple.com/itunes/sync/) Album Art, Photos, Contacts (Address Book) and Calendars (iCal), and iPod fully support Outlook sync. When your digital camera gets full, transfer digital photo files to iPod (combine strengh of iPod clickwheel & iPod photo) (http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/) and better yet, they hold 25,000 photos. Need to get in touch back home, what about mobile phone with iTunes (http://www.apple.com/itunes/mobile/) that was announced recently. But remember, be considerate of others when you are bring cellphone along but then it might be bad idea.

Install iPod Installer software that came with your iPod model and go along with installer instruction. All new Macs has iLife ‘05 (http://www.apple.com/ilife/), suite of digital applications such as iTunes 5, iPhoto 5, iMovie HD, iDVD 5 and GarageBand 2, installed; if you use PC-great, iTunes application/program is still free and is a powerful software. Anytime when you dock your iPod to your computer, your iTunes will perform auto-sync. To see how it work you can watch "Transferring Your iTunes Music to Your iPod video clip." (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/tutorial/ip_gettingstarted_movie1.html) If you want to test run iTunes, download free for PC + Mac. (http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/)

Do your comparison shopping in any of those iPod models.

iPod color (http://www.apple.com/ipod/color/)
iPod Shuffle (http://www.apple.com/ipodshuffle/)
iPod Nano (http://www.apple.com/ipodnano/)
iTunes Exclusive "Harry Potter" audiobooks engraved Limited Time Offer (http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa?snape=y)
iPod U2 (http://www.apple.com/ipod/u2/)
Review each iPod tech specs, QTVR and photo galleries, and use search engine such as Goggle or Yahoo! to find out which iPod match to your requirements. From main webpage"Where to buy" (http://www.apple.com/buy/) you can find iPod at any iPod Reseller (http://www.apple.com/buy/ipod/).

PERSONAL NOTE: I find that most dealers do have same price as others; it is quality of each service they marketing to you counts. Unlike most electronic like personal computers, iPod sales offering are varible in seasons and sometime can be predicable which sales will occur. There are so many accessories, such as sleeves and speakers and rechargeable, in either off- and on-line stores and thy are widespread even in college campus stores. HP-brand, Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, Barnes & Nobles and other book/music stores, and so on. Other day I was amazing to find that Target stocked iPod add-on. TIP: research and ask around. People who contribute their voice in this threads are also your peers and their opinons, in my view since I always need to have iPod curing my tinnitus, are highly valuable.

Overview (http://www.apple.com/itunes/overview/) of why iPod is most talk about and how iPod family had undergone many press reviews, including from PC presses often gave positive rave reviews, despite jealousy of other MP3 and Flash manufactures. For more tips & tricks, check out quick tutorials for iTunes for Mac (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/tutorial/) and Windows (http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/windows/tutorial/). All of these questions and answers are at iPod Service & Support (http://www.apple.com/support/ipod/) in Apple website.

~~~~~~~~~~
My viewpoint for AT community: iPod probably could have salvage those percentage of aspirant AT thru-hiker from dropping out each year, both directions, in boredom or lonesome reasons. We will see if "Thru-Hike Completions" rate change from 2004 Appalachian Trail Conservancy (ATC) Annual Report (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.786765/k.AAF0/Annual_Reports.htm) (see sidebar on page 4); ATC report pre-hike and reported 550 completions, 24% increase. Poll in Macintosh camps online suggested iPod Shuffle is a good buy for mini category, while iPod Nano could be winner in weight-wise. Choice is limitless. My audiologist plan to supply DAI (digital audio input) jack for my hearing aids; all I have to choose which iPod would be winner for me. Heed my warning, please observe trail manners.

soulrebel
09-26-2005, 15:53
Ipod sucks--I'm a techno geek and have had portable mp3 since the early nineties.

FLASH memory and regular batteries please---They sell 2GB flash cards for around $130--

with a 512mb built in-- 2.5GB--500-800 songs plus never skips-drive never fails-and never have to carry a charger... no brainer--but apple has great advertising i will admit...

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-26-2005, 17:40
Ipod sucks--I'm a techno geek and have had portable mp3 since the early nineties.

FLASH memory and regular batteries please---They sell 2GB flash cards for around $130--

with a 512mb built in-- 2.5GB--500-800 songs plus never skips-drive never fails-and never have to carry a charger... no brainer--but apple has great advertising i will admit...
I'm not sure how that means "iPod Sucks"... the Nano is FLASH based (not like the HDs fail / skip on a regular basis - I have experience.

Plus with the 2GB Nano is 199$ and the 4GB at 249$, I'm not sure how 130$ + the price of the player is that much of an issue.

Now, non-standard batteries... if it weren't for the fact that many companies make a AA or AAA batt-pack / charger for iPod, then you'd have a leg to stand on with your arguement. As it is, I don't know how you can say "iPod Sucks"

titanium_hiker
09-27-2005, 17:34
the advantage of flash memory is that you can share with your digital camera- same with standard batteries- share with camera, light etc. Also, I've heard the idea of maildroping a new mix on a new flash card... swap em out.

titanium

Bob Baker
09-27-2005, 21:09
This is a pretty neat idea: http://www.colorwarepc.com/products/default.aspx. You can either buy a colored iPod or send your own in to be colored. It's pricey and not hiking related but it's still cool.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-28-2005, 14:13
the advantage of flash memory is that you can share with your digital camera- same with standard batteries- share with camera, light etc. Also, I've heard the idea of maildroping a new mix on a new flash card... swap em out.

titanium Problem with "swapping out memory" between camera and player means you still have to carry enough memory to do BOTH. If you're using some of your memory space to store music or audio books, that's space that you can't use for taking pictures. Now, flash card are small, but so is a Nano (as small or smaller / as light or lighter than most removable flash based players)

Also, this limits your options as to which camera you will buy. You HAVE to get the one that has the same flash as your player. I realize that this isn't quite the issue that it used to be as MOST cameras have defaulted to SD, as have most removable-flash players.

Being able to swap batteries (assuming you brought along a battery charger (solar or otherwise)) means you STILL have to have enough power available to run all of them (which very likely may means that you will have to carry more AAs than you otherwise would). If you're not using rechargeables you're stuck carrying more batteries / power in order to power all of your devices.

This ALSO (more so than the above) limits your camera choices. Many of the better cameras have li-ion batteries, some run on AAs (though there are plenty that do). Fewer run on AAA. Many players run on AAAs (especially if it is somehow lighter than the NANO, it's not going to be running on AAs as two AAs weigh about as much as a Nano) However, having a AAA player and a AA camera means you're out of luck.

Plus, for flashlights, I'd (personally) be going with a AAA or smaller. Likely, I would take one of these (http://www.countycomm.com/light.htm) with maybe a backup color (http://www.countycomm.com/light10.htm)

Now, I'm not saying the iPod Nano is for everybody. I just think people need to take a REAL look at it before dismissing it. Most of the time, they simply dismiss options because they like bucking the "majority". Sometimes that's good, sometimes it just shows a lack of REAL critical thinking skills.

It's like someone posting "Jetboil Sucks". No, it doesn't suck. It's actually a damn good option for a whole lot of people (people who want simplicity and figure tlimiting theit cookgear to a jetboil and a spork is a big step towards lightening their load). I wish I had one but can't justify - to myself - spending 70$+ on it when I have a baby coming. However, I want to see if a Jetboil Cozy (http://www.jetboil.com/Products/Accessories) would fit a Henie-Can pot... :-? :D

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-28-2005, 17:20
Of course, one could always charge your iPod using your flashligh (http://geektechnique.org/index.php?id=236)t...

HikerHobo
09-28-2005, 19:57
The only way to go is with the new iPod Flea. Check out all the accessories available!

http://video.gprime.net/media/video/ipodflea.wmv

ABR
09-28-2005, 22:00
The advantage of an HD player like a 20GB iPod (or Zen / Network Walkman / what have you) is you don't have to worry about all this mucking about with flash cards, nor live in a restricted world where you get sick sick sick of the same couple of dozen albums your flash player holds..

Ditto for photos -- get the photo transfer gizmo for an iPod photo (not sure if any others have this yet), and you don't ever think about memory capacity again.

MisterSweetie
09-28-2005, 22:41
200GB of music is insanity at it's best.Haha... I have 564GB of music, and that's not including pressed cds.

dje97001
09-29-2005, 08:14
I guess there are all kinds... I only have a few dozen cds. Now... if we ever talk about DVDs... I'm in BIG trouble!

tlbj6142
09-29-2005, 10:53
I guess there are all kinds... I only have a few dozen cds. Now... if we ever talk about DVDs... I'm in BIG trouble!I had about 60 when I go rid of all of them (except for the 3 Pantera CDs I kept for "easy listening") about 5-6 years ago. I don't listen to anything anymore, except for the occasional book-on-tape (CD).

I tried to rip a BOT the other day, but failed. Each individual disc was copied over top of the previous one. So, I was left with a single "album" containing all of the tracks on the last disc. Not sure how to make it work.

Also, I would have liked to cut down the sampling as well to reduce the storage. I've read somewhere that mono @ 22K(?) makes for very small BOT tracks.

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-29-2005, 14:24
I had about 60 when I go rid of all of them (except for the 3 Pantera CDs I kept for "easy listening") about 5-6 years ago. I don't listen to anything anymore, except for the occasional book-on-tape (CD).

I tried to rip a BOT the other day, but failed. Each individual disc was copied over top of the previous one. So, I was left with a single "album" containing all of the tracks on the last disc. Not sure how to make it work.

Also, I would have liked to cut down the sampling as well to reduce the storage. I've read somewhere that mono @ 22K(?) makes for very small BOT tracks.
BOT tracks?

What program were you using to rip the discs?

tlbj6142
09-29-2005, 14:47
BOT tracks?Books On Tape.
What program were you using to rip the discs?Windows Media Player 10

Lanthar Mandragoran
09-29-2005, 16:29
Books on Tape? Yeah they should be fine at lower bitrates, no problem.

I'm not sure how to do it with WMP10 (WMP is the Devil, IMHO, iTunes is much more user-friendly) but is should go something like this:

1) you should have an option to uncheck the "rip upon inserting CD option"
2) make sure WMP is set to creat MP3s NOT WMA files
3) insert your CD
4) once any CDDB querying is done, select all the tracks and look for a "track information (or properties)" option
5) make sure title is correct, but look a way to insert "disc X of XX", then rip away
6) for the next CD repeat but make it "disc X+1 of XX"...

if you need to you can do this in the title but can messy that way. doing it this way gives you one "album" with disc of subheadings... however depending on the setup this may make navigation more painful as you may have 3 track ones...

If this doesn't work, than do it by altering the "title" to include disc x of XX... which ever way helps you keep your sanity...

again, I can do this in iTunes, but not WMP, I avoid WMP like the plague...

tlbj6142
09-29-2005, 16:42
4) once any CDDB querying is done, select all the tracks and look for a "track information (or properties)" option
I tried changing the title within WMP and that didn't work, as the raw files were still placed in the same system folder on the hard drive. Maybe I'll try iTunes the next time I feel the need to so something like this.

Also, I didn't see any obvious means to lower the bit rate and/or set "mono". There was just a stupid "Smaller files <----> Higher Quality" setting. The 3-4 minutes tracks were still 1.5M. I would assume a Mono low sample rate mp3 would be much, much smaller (200-300K).

titanium_hiker
09-29-2005, 20:51
did I say the flash method was perfect? :D :D

I agree, the harddrive capability of a bigger size ipod would be cool.

the ipod flea is hilarious eh? I love the accesories.

titanium

Doctari
09-30-2005, 07:37
I carried a radio on ONE hike. Never used it. But then, I was in an area where I could only get Country or talk, I'm a rock, Blues, Jazz & Clasical person (Sorry, but I refer to Country as "Music to skin cats by")

However, last trip, I got a 3 day case of "Earworms" & could NOT get that d*** song out of my head. It was a song I hate, and I could only remember about 2 lines, over & over & over & over & over & over & over & well, you get the picture.

So, my point is: I'm going to get: an MP3 player, or [whatever] so I can listen to MY music. All my: John Lee Hooker, BB King, Pink Floyd, etc. CDs.

My thought is: get something that uses AA batteries, or something else easily gotten along the trail, If using a charger, try to have one that fits any other device you may carry. I have one with 4 "Prongs" on it, of different sizes/shapes, one fits my cell, the other my radio. Ill not carry either on the AT, just using it as an example.

I do like the solar charger idea. May go with that anyway. Found one that charges 4 AA batts, but I don't know where. Seems to me it was only a few oz, maybe 3 or 4.

Doctari.

D'Artagnan
09-30-2005, 09:10
One of the things I like about the iPod Shuffle and the latest versions of the iPod is that you don't necessarily have to carry the recharger that runs off household current. The Shuffle recharges from the USB port on a computer and the newer iPods come with a cable allowing you to recharge them from the USB port as well. I know this is not a total solution to the whole recharging dilemma while on the AT, but it opens up a few more options versus carrying the extra ounces for the recharger.

frieden
09-30-2005, 09:36
I know that some people are shocked about the thought of music on the trail, but has anyone thought of using it for healing in camp? There is a healing technique using music/sound - energy healing. I started to learn it last year. It takes some practice, but it really works.

Deafsmart
09-30-2005, 14:28
iPod nano internal backpack, I would buy it. iPod flea backpack looks great to have, althought iPod flea is a fiction.

titanium_hiker
09-30-2005, 21:09
heheheh. gotta love the iPod flea.

Just reading the "hiking alone" thread- one guy mentions he doesn't wear headphones when hiking- thus reducing risk of not hearing danger (a rattler etc) so if you only listen to it at night and on breaks... saves the batteries.

titanium

Oracle
10-11-2005, 19:28
Sorry to resurrect the thread, but I've found an mp3 player that I believe to be about perfect, much better for the long-distance hiker than the Ipod Nano.

It's the Lexar LDP-200, and the specs are located here:

http://www.lexar.com/mp3/LDP200.html

It has no integral memory, it uses Secure Digital (SD) cards (which are the size of a postage stamp and weigh about a gram). SD cards are available in sizes from 128 megabytes to 4 gigabytes of storage (all the same physical size). You can find the 1G cards for less than $60 including shipping, and they seem to have the best size/cost ratio of all the SD cards right now. The weight is negligible, so you can carry quite a few with you, and they're removable, so you can send them back to someone at home to add new music/audiobooks to them when you get tired of listening to the ones you have.

And unlike most mp3 players, it's doesn't use a rechargeable power source, it runs on one AAA battery (the manufacturer claims 10+ hours of run time per battery). This works well for me, because my headlamp (Petzl Tikka) uses the same batteries, so I only have to carry/buy one type.

Best of all, I just picked one up online for $35 and some change plus shipping (I think the shipping was 6 bucks). I have a couple of 1G SD cards around, because that's what my Palm and my digital camera both use. But even if you don't have any SD cards currently, they're cheap and (like most technology) get cheaper every month. So you won't have to upgrade your mp3 player just to get more memory as it gets less expensive, just get a bigger SD card and plug it in.

betic4lyf
10-11-2005, 21:06
i buy a cd, listen to it 1.78 kajillion times, till it is memorized, then hum it in my head. its the lightest way to do it. Mostly just because i break electronics. i am just not curteous with cd players and the like