PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter

Hanger
09-08-2005, 16:28
I know this may seem a little off topic, but I wasn't sure where to post this. I live in Knoxville (Freshman at UT) and I want to go on an overnight trip to test out some new gear, including a Hennessey. I was just wondering if there is anyone that knows of a good overnight trip in East Tennessee. I know there has to be a couple of great ones, but with the overwhelming number of trails I don't know where to start.

9 Mules
09-08-2005, 17:09
You got that big National Park in your backyard and I'd check out Abrams Creek area since its close to Maryville. Rabbit Creek Trail is cool. Abrams Fall sucks cause of the trash along the trail but nice swimming...easy trail out of Cades Cove for a first time night hike.
Have you been to the "Y" swimming hole out of Townsend? Right below Tremont? You can wade the creek and hit Roundtop trail, thats cool no ones every on it.
You can hike up to campsite #13 out of Abrams, then loop over down Gregory Ridge/Parsons Branch/Abrams Fall trail back to your car.
O.K. 900 miles of trail.
Just do it.

chris
09-09-2005, 14:01
From Knoxville, you can be at the Sugarlands Visitors center in the park in under an hour. Lots of possibilities from there. I'd get the National Geographic map and the Little Brown Book of the Smokies (called something else, though). A very traditional (i.e, popular) overnight hike is to drive up to Newfound Gap and hike out to Silar Bald Shelter. This takes in Clingman's Dome, the high point in TN and on the AT. You can shorten it by driving up to Clingman's Dome and hiking from there.

If you want a loop and are willing to work more, drive a bit further to Cosby Campground and take the Snake Den Ridge trail up to the AT. Go NOBO (i.e, east) on the AT, maybe staying at the Cosby Knob shelter. In the AM, hike out to the Mount Cammerer Fire Tower (perhaps the best view in all of the Smokys, passed up by most thruhikers because it is 1/2 mile off the AT). Drop down to Cosby on the Lower Mount Cammerer Trail (or, the Low Gap trail, which is shorter).

Rockjock
09-09-2005, 15:42
Welcome to the area.

There are about a zillion great hikes w/in an hour of UTK, I am out in Oak Ridge. I agree w/ 9 mules I just finished up all the trails accessible from Abrams Creek Ranger Station, easy stuff.

A good loop is Anthony Creek/Bote/ to Spence Field over to Russell Field shelter and down Russell Field Trail.

Also consider Big South Fork Nat. Forrest. If your interested I will be doing a trip out of Cades Cove Oct 1-2. Also plan on hitting Gregory Bald, Rich Mtn. in November.

These are just a few I could go on for days. Get the Hiking in the Smokies (Little brown book) this is the bible for the GSMNP. Also check out Smokey Mountain Hiking Club/ Greenville Hiking Club/ Tennessee Eastman for other hikes in the area.

Rockjock