PDA

View Full Version : Molas Lake area Camping Options

Coffee
02-13-2014, 18:11
I'm close to finalizing the plan for my CT thru hike and there is one very minor loose end. I plan to pick up a resupply package at the Molas Lake Campground and I had planned to stay there for the night on a walk-in basis. However, it looks likely that I will be passing through that area during Labor Day weekend so my guess is that staying there on a walk-in basis is not going to be an option. I assume that I can pick up a resupply package there even if I'm not staying and that I will be allowed to pay for a shower. Within the vicinity of the campground on the CT, are there places where I can camp for the night? Other than Molas Lake Campground and Little Molas Lake campground (which is probably also going to be full), I see no reference to camping in that immediate area in the CT guidebook or data book. My plan is to end the day close to that area.

I realize that I could opt for hitching into Silverton rather than picking up a mail drop at Molas Lake Campground but since it is likely that this will be Labor Day weekend, I'd rather not deal with full motels and high prices if possible.

bearcreek
02-13-2014, 19:33
You could camp at Elk Creek then go up, get your package, take a shower, etc., then hike a few miles further up the trail. There are some good campsites within 2-3 miles of Molas Pass heading towards Durango. If you decide to go into Silverton, there is a good Hostel there. You might want to contact them and see if they think they will be fully occupied. The regular motels will probably be full.

Another possibility is to hitch into Silverton from Stony Pass at the beginning of Segment 24. Depending upon haw fast you hike, that would get you there 1-2 days earlier and you might be able to avoid the holiday.

Coffee
02-13-2014, 20:21
Thanks bearcreek. It looks like I'm going to push back my start date by a week to avoid being in the vicinity of the Leadville 100 which takes place the weekend of August 16-17. This will put me at Molas Lake the weekend after Labor Day which is probably a more relaxed time to be there anyway.

handlebar
02-13-2014, 22:20
I hitched out of Silverton, where I'd done a quick resupply, arriving at the parking area near Molas Lake about 6pm hiking toward Durango. I got water from a tributary of Lime Creek and made camp about 8:30pm as it started to get dark where there was evidence of previous campers. I had passed several potential camp locations on the way. This was on July 26, so you won't have as much light to work with after Labor Day.