PDA

View Full Version : starting date

neo
09-08-2005, 21:26
my next section hike will be from franconia notch to dalton ma,i have hiked everything from springer in ga to dalton ma,the reason i am doing this section from north to south is mainly travel arrangement,plus i am starting oct 9th and finishing further south oct 22nd,plus i wanted to get the harder part done first,i will be arriving at lincoln nh at 9:00pm,all hotels and campgrounds booked that week end,i will have been on a bus 30 hours,so i guess i will blend in the woods near lincoln that night and head for the notch in the morning:cool: neo

peter_pan
09-08-2005, 21:38
Enjoy your section hike Neo.

Pan

Turtle2
09-08-2005, 22:15
Have fun Neo!

neo
09-09-2005, 14:32
i month from today i will be on the ATin nh.i cant wait,the weekend before i leave i also will be doing the jack and back 150 for M.S.:cool: neo

shades of blue
09-09-2005, 15:25
Neo
That is a great section. I hate that you can't go just a little further north and hike over Franconia ridge. I guess you have to save something for the next section hike though.....There is a great Hostel in Dalton...the Byrdcage. I don't know if you have plans already for when you arrive, but the guy there...I think his name is Ron is one of the nicest people I met on the trail. He's like the Ms. Janet of the North (at least in my humble opinion). Also, if you get a chance to go into Bennington, VT you should. It was a great place.
Have fun!!!!!!

neo
09-09-2005, 16:04
Neo
That is a great section. I hate that you can't go just a little further north and hike over Franconia ridge. I guess you have to save something for the next section hike though.....There is a great Hostel in Dalton...the Byrdcage. I don't know if you have plans already for when you arrive, but the guy there...I think his name is Ron is one of the nicest people I met on the trail. He's like the Ms. Janet of the North (at least in my humble opinion). Also, if you get a chance to go into Bennington, VT you should. It was a great place.
Have fun!!!!!!
i stayed at robs last year,last year i section hiked from delaware water gap pa to dalton mass,this year i am section hiking from franconia notch to dalton ma
south bound,rob is an awesome guy:cool: neo

neo
09-22-2005, 07:15
2 weeks from tommorrow i leave for lincoln newhampshire.i will be hiking from kinsman notch to dalton mass.from 2001 to 2004 i have section hiked from amicola falls in ga to dalton mass.:cool: neo

LIhikers
09-22-2005, 07:39
Enjoy your hike. Fall is a great time to be in New England. People pay big bucks and come from all over the world to see the fall foliage. You're the lucky one as you'll be surrounded by it all.

Heck, fall is a great time to be anyplace on the trail. As the weather cools off I'm getting the itch to be out hiking. The wife and I probably won't get back to the AT until next spring though. With any luck we'll be able to get out for some weekend overnighters closer to home. That should keep us. We finished our section this summer just south of where Neo is going. We finished up at Goose Pond Rd. in Lee, MA.

NoKnees
09-22-2005, 09:38
Neo,

Thats a great time of year to be in NE. You might want to check out the hunting seasons in NH and VT. If I remember from my days at Dartmouth, NH Hunting season is runs pretty early. If they are running a hunter orange ball cap might be a good addition to the kit Otherwise enjoy that wonderfull fall air.

NoKnees

Patrick
09-22-2005, 11:02
Neo,

I was up in that area a couple of weeks ago. The weather was unreal. 70 every day, 40-50 every night, not a drop of rain. It felt like cheating.

I don't know if that hurricane helped anything, but when I was there, water was scarce. The spring at Crystal Mountain was dry as dust and it was just trickling in a lot of other places. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

Don't forget Duff & Dell's in Dalton for breakfast. Very hiker friendly. Also, there's a place in Cheshire that's awesome for subs and pizza and stuff like that. I can't remember the name, but it's Italian (I want to say Angelina's, but that's Dalton). When you hit the first road in Cheshire (route 3, I think), walk right. There's a gas station right there on your right. The sub place is next to the fire house about a quarter mile down on the other side. Also, you'll walk past a really cool cemetary there. There are graves from the 1780s and a little war memorial.

I'm getting excited again. When can I take another week off work?

neo
09-22-2005, 14:21
Neo,

I was up in that area a couple of weeks ago. The weather was unreal. 70 every day, 40-50 every night, not a drop of rain. It felt like cheating.

I don't know if that hurricane helped anything, but when I was there, water was scarce. The spring at Crystal Mountain was dry as dust and it was just trickling in a lot of other places. Not a huge deal, but worth noting.

Don't forget Duff & Dell's in Dalton for breakfast. Very hiker friendly. Also, there's a place in Cheshire that's awesome for subs and pizza and stuff like that. I can't remember the name, but it's Italian (I want to say Angelina's, but that's Dalton). When you hit the first road in Cheshire (route 3, I think), walk right. There's a gas station right there on your right. The sub place is next to the fire house about a quarter mile down on the other side. Also, you'll walk past a really cool cemetary there. There are graves from the 1780s and a little war memorial.

I'm getting excited again. When can I take another week off work?

i like the sub shop in dalton angelina's,i plan on staying at rob's when i finish.:cool: neo

neo
09-25-2005, 19:13
less than 2 weeks to go,this week i will buy my bus tickets and finish my drop boxes,friday oct 7th i will be leaving for lincon nh,i am so excited:cool: neo

Jack Tarlin
09-26-2005, 11:57
Lemme know your ETA in Hanover (you can send an E-Mail from the excellent hostel in Glencliff).

Have a great trip, see you when you get here.

P.S. If you haven't got your bus ticket yet, have you considered trying to get to NH a few days earlier so you can attend the ALDHA Gathering? There will be folks here from NH who can probably drive you anywhere you need to go when the weekend breaks up. Plus, there's much more regular bus service HERE than there is to Lincoln, North Conway, or points North.

neo
09-26-2005, 15:11
Lemme know your ETA in Hanover (you can send an E-Mail from the excellent hostel in Glencliff).

Have a great trip, see you when you get here.

P.S. If you haven't got your bus ticket yet, have you considered trying to get to NH a few days earlier so you can attend the ALDHA Gathering? There will be folks here from NH who can probably drive you anywhere you need to go when the weekend breaks up. Plus, there's much more regular bus service HERE than there is to Lincoln, North Conway, or points North.
hi jack
i will be staying with dwight and his family when get to hanover,you know who i am talking about he is the president of jetboil,i hope to seeya:cool: neo

Moxie00
09-26-2005, 19:12
All the campgrounds are booked? My wife just called Franconia Notch State Park and the park is almost empty. She plans a hike on Franconia Ridge this week and when she called they said it wasn't necessary to make a reservation as there are plenty of sites available this time of year. Unless there is a national convention of backpacking shriners or a Playboy Bunny wet t-shirt contest scheduled the day you plan to go I would suggest Franconia Notch State Park as a place to stay. In 2000 about a dozen thru hikers were arrested for trespassing in that area when they tried to "blend into the woods" in town.

JoeHiker
09-26-2005, 20:56
I'll be hiking the Long Trail from North to South starting Oct 12th. You'll probably be just a few days ahead of me on the AT section of the LT

neo
09-30-2005, 12:29
one week from today i will be leaving for lincoln nh,i will be hiking from kinsman notch to dalton mass,i cant wait:cool: neo

neo
10-02-2005, 23:07
getting really close now,i mailed my mail drop packages saturday,i bought my bus tickets last week,this time next week i will have be spending my secound night on the trail:cool: neo

JoeHiker
10-03-2005, 09:56
getting really close now,i mailed my mail drop packages saturday,i bought my bus tickets last week,this time next week i will have be spending my secound night on the trail:cool: neo
Yes, I think we're going to just miss you. We start on Wednesday of next week and won't hit the AT/LT junction until sometime around the 23rd. I'm not sure exactly where the junction is but we end at Cooper Lodge on the 23rd and Greenwall Shelter on the 24th.

Have a great trip, neo.

neo
10-03-2005, 16:11
Yes, I think we're going to just miss you. We start on Wednesday of next week and won't hit the AT/LT junction until sometime around the 23rd. I'm not sure exactly where the junction is but we end at Cooper Lodge on the 23rd and Greenwall Shelter on the 24th.

Have a great trip, neo.
i will finish my south bound section hikefrom kinsman notch to dalton ma on oct 21st.i am ready to go,cant wait:cool: neo

MileMonster
10-03-2005, 16:22
Good luck, Neo. I hope your section goes well. I remember dropping you off in Williamstown last year to get your bus (Double Nickels and I rode with to pick up a mail drop at the PO). Anyhow, if you think about it, let me know what your plan is when you leave Hanover. I might be persuaded to hike in a treat or two to you.

Take care.

neo
10-05-2005, 21:58
just a few more days ta go,cant wait:cool: neo

Catsgoing
10-06-2005, 18:57
my next section hike will be from franconia notch to dalton ma,i have hiked everything from springer in ga to dalton ma,the reason i am doing this section from north to south is mainly travel arrangement,plus i am starting oct 9th and finishing further south oct 22nd,plus i wanted to get the harder part done first,i will be arriving at lincoln nh at 9:00pm,all hotels and campgrounds booked that week end,i will have been on a bus 30 hours,so i guess i will blend in the woods near lincoln that night and head for the notch in the morning:cool: neo
Good Luck My Dear Friend..............

neo
10-06-2005, 21:13
leaving tommorrow oct 7th 1:30 pm,i hope i can sleep tonite:cool: neo

neo
10-07-2005, 11:24
i am leaving today for lincoln newhamshire,when i finish this section between dalton mass to kinsmans notch nh i will have 389 miles left of the AT,I started my section hike at amicola falls in ga in may 2001,i finished at dalton mass
last june on my last hike,i just am not looking forward to the 30 hour bus ride
starting today at 1:30pm and ending at 9:00pm saturday night,i hope everyone has a great time at the gathering this weekend:cool: neo