PDA

View Full Version : Trail magic!!!!

AngelEyez
02-14-2014, 20:49
Thinking about having my family do some trail magic on my way threw Maine Mahoosuc area late June early July looking for ideas on what people like:banana

HikerMom58
02-14-2014, 20:58
Well, that easy, AngelEyez....fresh fruit, fresh veggies and cold drinks are always good. Pats on the back & encouragement is nice too.

The large majority of hikers won't be in Maine yet... too early. But, I'm sure your family will see some hikers out there. :)

Teacher & Snacktime
02-14-2014, 21:00
You should get SOBO's. Absolutely fruit....and salty stuff....and juice. Basically, lots of food.

Slo-go'en
02-14-2014, 22:43
Yep, except for one or two SOBO and maybe a couple of section hikers, not much going on there that time of year. Plus about the only place you can do trail magic would be at the Grafton Notch State park parking lot, (which is a very popular day hiking parking lot) and is at the end/beginning of the Mahoosucs depending on which way your going. When I went through there a couple of years ago, there were some guys doing trail magic by cooking up freash Maine lobsters and corn on the cob. Talk about trail magic :)

The only other place to do trail magic would be one of the two road crossings going into Andover. There you would only see SOBO hikers that time of year and since there are so few, you'd have to camp there for a week just to meet a few of them. The reason there is so little trail magic done in New England is the number of thru hikers is small and they are spread out, unlike the south in the spring when 30-50 hikes can pass by a spot in a day.

DocMahns
02-15-2014, 01:09
I am doing a SOBO and will start in ME in June so anything would be appreciated!!