PDA

View Full Version : Sad day my WM highlite bag was taken

Doc
02-15-2014, 09:23
Yup, my wife discovered my bag and used it for one of her trips. Now it is in her corner. She said that she had never used a bag so warm, comfortable, and just perfect. That means I need to think about getting my own-again. Any ideas about upcoming sales on Western Mountaineering down bags?

CalebJ
02-15-2014, 09:26
Do sales on WM or FF bags even exist? I had to pick up my WM on eBay a few years ago.

bigcranky
02-15-2014, 10:12
This happens to me all the time. :) Camera gear, hiking gear, doesn't matter.

I got one of my WM bags on final clearance at my local outfitter, but in general I don't see them on sale racks very often. But in this particular case, I think permission has been granted to just order a new one....

Duramax22
02-15-2014, 10:21
welcome to the club. My WM versalite was "barrowed" and i never got that back from the old lady. She forced me to buy myself another $500 versalite

q-tip
02-15-2014, 10:34
As a feature of the contract with resellers, WM bags cannot be discounted. However, I got an Alpinlite with free overfill ($25) on Moosegear.com and free shipping. WM, worth every penny, I have three...

Hill Ape
02-15-2014, 10:45
i've only been married for ten years, so haven't quite mastered the subtle manipulation of the wife. given the choice of open rebellion to get the bag back vs peace in the valley with wifey, i'd get my bag back, and custom order her a back with whatever girlie colors she picks out. call that a valentines present

good luck with how it turns out. my wife siezed my jeep, said it was hers now. i feel for ya man.

Zippy Morocco
02-15-2014, 11:24
Here is one sale http://www.hermitshut.com/?product=western-mountaineering-highlite-sleeping-bag. You can usually find a free shipping code for these guy by searching retail-me-not and the like.

daddytwosticks
02-15-2014, 11:35
I got a discount when I bought my first WM bag (Caribou) down here at Mountain Crossings, Ga. for being an ATC member. I think it was 10%? Maybe a good outfitter in Maine will give you a similar discount? It wouldn't hurt to ask. :)

Seatbelt
02-15-2014, 11:40
I bought my WM bag and was awarded a small discount for cash. NO WAY does the wife get to use it!!

Violent Green
02-15-2014, 15:26
Yup, my wife discovered my bag and used it for one of her trips. Now it is in her corner. She said that she had never used a bag so warm, comfortable, and just perfect. That means I need to think about getting my own-again. Any ideas about upcoming sales on Western Mountaineering down bags?

Usually a 20% WM sale will pop up at random online retailers, but it's usually the real small retailers like already mentioned. Have you thought about using this opportunity to have a custom one made to exactly your specs? Feathered Friends can do some pretty slick modifications to their existing line, or you can go full custom with a company like Zpacks and Enlightened Equipment for the same price as WM but with quite a bit less weight. . Note that these last two make sleeping bags with no hood. A 20F bag from Zpacks is 8oz less than the comparable WM Ultralite.

Ryan

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 17:06
Got my Caribou for just over $200, new with tags, in an ebay auction from an outfitters online ebay store, so you can find them a a good price sometimes. In hindsight, and after reading how infrequently they're discounted, I got REALLY lucky.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-15-2014, 17:18
I splurged last month and bought myself some really nice hiking gloves....that also happen to fit my husband (who doesn't hike, but whose car has not heat). I guess I'll find another pair next year.

martinb
02-15-2014, 17:21
Distract her with some new dirty girl gaiters and steal that thing back!

Sierra2015
02-15-2014, 17:22
I want a new sleeping bag.... I want a jeep....

.... From this thread I've learned I need to get married.

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 17:48

.... From this thread I've learned I need to get married.Too funny. Well played.

likeahike
02-15-2014, 18:24

How 'bout this - you can borrow my Jeep and I guess I could spring for a new sleeping bag, but you have to promise to never, ever mention the words, "I need to get married". Deal?

AliciaG
02-15-2014, 18:35
Oh no. I'm so sorry to hear that Doc. I have a WM summer lite and absolutely love it. Try the outdoor gear price checker (http://bc25.com/outdoor-gear-price-checker/) at bc25 or see if they have a coupon code for one of the on-line stores that carry WM.

Sierra2015
02-15-2014, 18:59
Too funny. Well played.
I can cook and clean too!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-15-2014, 19:02
How 'bout this - you can borrow my Jeep and I guess I could spring for a new sleeping bag, but you have to promise to never, ever mention the words, "I need to get married". Deal?

Sierra, is this your Mom or your Boyfriend? :)

HikerMom58
02-15-2014, 19:18

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdShiAZVipSsfdJ2ZRjaZntZUVdLdlG CopjJAtJWsgosGWSuJRow (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=KC2hoorckGKSMM&tbnid=NQj_i4YsXT4QkM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblinkwinkstare.blogspot.com%2F201 1_05_01_archive.html&ei=C_X_UpmLLdCNrQHlk4CYAw&psig=AFQjCNFtAeIIagFn8O4_2ewcTo2uJbOkmQ&ust=1392592461983296)

Bah ha ha!!

Sierra2015
02-15-2014, 19:40
Sierra, is this your Mom or your Boyfriend? :)
It's either one or the other?

Don't go confusing me, Teacher!

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdShiAZVipSsfdJ2ZRjaZntZUVdLdlG CopjJAtJWsgosGWSuJRow (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=KC2hoorckGKSMM&tbnid=NQj_i4YsXT4QkM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fblinkwinkstare.blogspot.com%2F201 1_05_01_archive.html&ei=C_X_UpmLLdCNrQHlk4CYAw&psig=AFQjCNFtAeIIagFn8O4_2ewcTo2uJbOkmQ&ust=1392592461983296)

Bah ha ha!!
... Oh? Do you have connections? :p

Teacher & Snacktime
02-15-2014, 22:53
Just figured they would be the two individuals least happy to hear "I have to get married" !! :)

Tuckahoe
02-15-2014, 23:05
The only true option for the OP

It's either one or the other?

Don't go confusing me, Teacher!

... Oh? Do you have connections? :p

Met William and Harry's grandmum once, I will see what I can do...

likeahike
02-16-2014, 01:45
Sierra, is this your Mom or your Boyfriend? :)Was gonna say I'm neither, but now she says she can cook and clean, the Jeep and I might be available.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 01:52
Hmmm....WhiteBlaze matchmaking services? Is there a Forum for that?

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 02:06
Was gonna say I'm neither, but now she says she can cook and clean, the Jeep and I might be available.
Are we gonna haggle about this?

Hmmm....WhiteBlaze matchmaking services? Is there a Forum for that?
Isn't there a forum called hooking up?

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2014, 02:09
Hmmm....WhiteBlaze matchmaking services? Is there a Forum for that?So, do you mean the Hooking Up forum is for hikers looking to get together to, like, um, hike? :-? :eek:

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 02:17
So, do you mean the Hooking Up forum is for hikers looking to get together to, like, um, hike? :-? :eek:
Beat you to that joke. Gotta be quicker than me. :p

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2014, 02:49
Beat you to that joke. Gotta be quicker than me. :pYeah, but only because I was cooking and cleaning at the time.

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 02:52
Yeah, but only because I was cooking and cleaning at the time.
Not everyone can cook, clean, and be witty.

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2014, 03:02
Not everyone can cook, clean, and be witty.You mean like at the same time? I was cooking and cleaning - doing TWO things at the same time - the limit of male multitasking. If I had tried to be simultaneously witty at the same time, I probably would have put the pizza in the dishwasher and the dishes in the oven.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 03:02
Personally I think I'm pretty proficient at 2 out of 3 of those....which ones depend on what family members and friends you talk to.....

and no offense 4eyes, but if you aren't doing at least 3 things simultaneously you're not being efficient....or you're not female :)

rocketsocks
02-16-2014, 06:18
hmm...can ya take her?

...if not, try itching powder.

lemon b
02-16-2014, 10:41
Make sure your wife knows what you want for Christmas.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 14:29
hmm...can ya take her?

...if not, try itching powder.

Seriously, Socks....what good would that do? He'd just end up with a torn, itchy bag clutched in the hands of two broken arms....

Kerosene
02-16-2014, 14:34
Hey, at least your significant other will get out in the woods with you, although I admit that losing one of my WM bags would be a steep price to pay.

likeahike
02-16-2014, 19:31
Are we gonna haggle about this?Heck yes! I'm flexible, but the Jeep has a price.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 20:25
Heck yes! I'm flexible.

Now you're just bragging.

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 21:12
Heck yes! I'm flexible, but the Jeep has a price.
I'll add your application to the stack. :p

First question on the form: How tall are you?

Now you're just bragging.
I guffawed! Literally guffawed! Haha.

rocketsocks
02-16-2014, 21:16
Seriously, Socks....what good would that do? He'd just end up with a torn, itchy bag in clutched in the hands of two broken arms....
ah yes, the scratch factor does work both ways.

HikerMom58
02-16-2014, 22:02
likeahike...this Sierra's "mom" ;) Did you "introduce yourself" yet? :)

likeahike
02-16-2014, 22:50
Now you're just bragging.Taint braggin iffan it's true!

likeahike
02-16-2014, 22:57
I'll add your application to the stack. :p
You wish

First question on the form: How tall are you?
6'01" with fully inflated tires

I guffawed! Literally guffawed! Haha.
You can cook, clean and guffaw, WOW!

likeahike
02-16-2014, 23:02
likeahike...this Sierra's "mom" ;) Did you "introduce yourself" yet? :)
What, and remove the mystery?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 23:04
6'01" with fully inflated tires

Not to mention ego....;)

likeahike
02-16-2014, 23:06
Not to mention ego....;)Oh, I thought we were talking about the Jeep.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 23:08
That's a tall Jeep :)

likeahike
02-16-2014, 23:12
That's a tall Jeep :)Big tires!

Dogwood
02-16-2014, 23:55
Doc, I see a bright side to all this. You live in Sidney ME with your wife. Your wife and you must have trim figures to be able to squeeze into the rather snug WM Highlite sleeping bag. You both enjoy the outdoors. She's wanting to spend time with you in the outdoors. I suppose she's about your age? I find that refreshing. You are a Doctor(psychiatrist). I suppose retired. Hermit Hut has the WM Highlite for $300. Fair price for a Highlite IMO. I'm on my third WM Highlite. I suppose you have $300 hidden between the pages of your copies of Interpretation Of Dreams and Totem & Taboo for a new WM Highlite. Order a new Highlite from Hermit Hut and count your blessings! You're a fortunate man! :)

Sierra2015
02-17-2014, 00:01
Oh, I thought we were talking about the Jeep.
Am I entering into a contract with the Jeep??

likeahike
02-17-2014, 01:39
Am I entering into a contract with the Jeep??
Nope, that Jeep remark was intended to divert Teacher & Snacktime from the subject of my ego. As to a contract, still in the haggling stage.

Doc
02-17-2014, 07:44
Doc, I see a bright side to all this. You live in Sidney ME with your wife. Your wife and you must have trim figures to be able to squeeze into the rather snug WM Highlite sleeping bag. You both enjoy the outdoors. She's wanting to spend time with you in the outdoors. I suppose she's about your age? I find that refreshing. You are a Doctor(psychiatrist). I suppose retired. Hermit Hut has the WM Highlite for $300. Fair price for a Highlite IMO. I'm on my third WM Highlite. I suppose you have $300 hidden between the pages of your copies of Interpretation Of Dreams and Totem & Taboo for a new WM Highlite. Order a new Highlite from Hermit Hut and count your blessings! You're a fortunate man! :)
At last a helpful comment. As a former psychologist I will look through my one remaining book by Freud to check for hidden cash. My other such books were sold to finance my sordid career as a hiker. It is not a pretty story detailing my life going from a respectable psychologist to an unkempt, unshaven hiker who was focused only on completing the AT. If I find $300 I may just steal her (my) bag and go hiking until the cash runs out.

HikerMom58
02-17-2014, 07:53
Here is one sale http://www.hermitshut.com/?product=western-mountaineering-highlite-sleeping-bag. You can usually find a free shipping code for these guy by searching retail-me-not and the like.

Zippy Morocco's post is helpful!

Usually a 20% WM sale will pop up at random online retailers, but it's usually the real small retailers like already mentioned. Have you thought about using this opportunity to have a custom one made to exactly your specs? Feathered Friends can do some pretty slick modifications to their existing line, or you can go full custom with a company like Zpacks and Enlightened Equipment for the same price as WM but with quite a bit less weight. . Note that these last two make sleeping bags with no hood. A 20F bag from Zpacks is 8oz less than the comparable WM Ultralite.

Ryan

Here's another one from Violent Green!

DW is right on it. :) Happy hiking Doc!