PDA

View Full Version : AT Experience Checklist

Teacher & Snacktime
02-15-2014, 19:38
In the idea of a bucket list, what places on and off the trail should be considered essential to the AT experience? I don't mean for a thru-hiker, but for anyone interested in getting an appreciation for the AT. This could include hikes, (easy, hard, ridiculous), views, shelters, hostels, towns, individuals/legends....anything that should be checked off on a list with the heading:

I'll never hike all of the Appalachian Trail, but I've gotten to see:

....and yes, I absolutely plan on compiling any contributions to make this list for Snacktime and myself. Since I plan to break it up by state, please identify the location of your suggestions. Thanks!

Zippy Morocco
02-15-2014, 19:49
These come to my mind. Katahdin, The Whites, Grayson Highlands, the lakes of Maine, rhododendron in spring.

bamboo bob
02-15-2014, 19:51
Mt Kahtahdin in Maine. Mahoosic Notch in Maine. All of White Mountains in NH

coach lou
02-15-2014, 19:57
I must see the Rhodys and Azalea

slbirdnerd
02-15-2014, 20:00
I'm only at the beginning, but you HAVE to get to Hiker Hostel in GA--that is one amazing breakfast! :)

HikerMom58
02-15-2014, 20:16
Blue Ridge Parkway in the Spring -Rhododendron's in full bloom, Roan Mountain in NC, McAfee Knob, Tinker Cliffs & Dragons Tooth- Daleville VA.
HomePlace-Catwaba.

I'm anxious to do some hiking up North.. NJ, NH, VT and ME.

MDSection12
02-15-2014, 20:21
King cut prime rib at The Old South Mountain Inn just north of Dahlgren Backpacker's campground in MD. :)

Slo-go'en
02-15-2014, 20:41
I'm only at the beginning, but you HAVE to get to Hiker Hostel in GA--that is one amazing breakfast! :)

No, the Mountian Harbor B+B has the amazing breakfast. The homemade cinnamon sticky buns are to die for, along with the other dozen or so dishes she puts out which fills a full size kitchen table :)

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 21:05
Arch, Approach Trail and hiker plaque, Mountain Crossings, Fontana Hilton, McAfee Knob, Grayson Highlands Ponies,

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 21:06
Oops, sloppy fingers, continuing on: Glencliff to Gorham, Mahoosuc Notch, 100 MW, Katahdin

Blissful
02-15-2014, 21:17
Fellow hikers, townspeople, trail angels.

apd07c
02-15-2014, 21:19
Great suggestions here. I would add Trails Days, get your picture taken at the ATC headquarters, and ferrying across the Kennebec.

jdc5294
02-15-2014, 21:25
Not that this isn't a good topic, but I was kind of let down with I saw it was places, looking at the title I thought it was more a You haven't hiked the AT until you've been woken up by a raccoon crawling over your face type of thing.

10-K
02-15-2014, 21:30
Roan Highlands are hard to beat.

Spirit Walker
02-15-2014, 21:33
North Carolina balds. Bears and deer in the Shenandoahs. Presidentials. 100 mile Wilderness. Katahdin.

bfayer
02-15-2014, 21:33
King cut prime rib at The Old South Mountain Inn just north of Dahlgren Backpacker's campground in MD. :)

I keep telling ya its the crabcakes. Okay the prime rib is good too :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 21:37
Not that this isn't a good topic, but I was kind of let down with I saw it was places, looking at the title I thought it was more a You haven't hiked the AT until you've been woken up by a raccoon crawling over your face type of thing.Thanks . . . almost 40 years later I'm still trying to forget the 6 inch long millipedes crawling over me in Mashipacong Shelter that I woke up to one morning. Just too creepy.

tf bear
02-15-2014, 21:54
Half gallon challenge. Rocks of PA.

AngelEyez
02-15-2014, 22:10
i haven been to much out side of maine on the AT but Mahoosuc Notch,Katahdin Maine period:) get above elevation and enjoy the beauty. Mahoosuc has gr8 water falls. the waters cold and yummy

Damn Yankee
02-15-2014, 22:36
Thanks . . . almost 40 years later I'm still trying to forget the 6 inch long millipedes crawling over me in Mashipacong Shelter that I woke up to one morning. Just too creepy.

6"? I saw 14" ones in Arizona and toads the size of bowling balls. FREAKY! Oh and did I mention the giant, hairy spiders? I hate bugs!

Sierra2015
02-15-2014, 22:59
6"? I saw 14" ones in Arizona and toads the size of bowling balls. FREAKY! Oh and did I mention the giant, hairy spiders? I hate bugs!
LALALALALALALA! I'm not LISTENING!

On topic: I'm looking forward to seeing a bear! Maybe a moose.... And preferably from far, far away. Lol

HikerMom58
02-15-2014, 23:03
LALALALALALALA! I'm not LISTENING!

On topic: I'm looking forward to seeing a bear! Maybe a moose.... And preferably from far, far away. Lol

Ha ha... I bet you hate giant hairy spiders as much as my daughter does, Sierra.... La La La ... ;)

MDSection12
02-15-2014, 23:37
I keep telling ya its the crabcakes. Okay the prime rib is good too :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
My wife gets those, and never finishes them. :)

Sierra2015
02-16-2014, 00:40
Ha ha... I bet you hate giant hairy spiders as much as my daughter does, Sierra.... La La La ... ;)
I wish you wish you were my mom, HikerMom!

aficion
02-16-2014, 07:39
Trillium and Mayapple in full bloom carpeting the forest floor,
Jack in the Pulpit popping up here and there amongst their more ubiquitous brethren and sisteren.
Spring in the mountains comes a little later, think May... then come Azaleas, Rhododendron, and Mountain Laurel for some icing on yer cake. Pictures are great...being there is magic. Won't be too long now.

q-tip
02-16-2014, 08:41
McAffee Knob, Lots of trees, lots of rocks.....

HikerMom58
02-16-2014, 09:10
I wish you wish you were my mom, HikerMom!

Hey girl... that's a done deal.. I adopted you a million posts ago. Didn't you get the memo? ;) Welcome to the family!! :)

tiptoe
02-16-2014, 09:54
+1 on the crab cakes at the South Mountain Inn. And I loved the sign on the door: something to the effect that hikers needed to "tidy up" before dining there. I had showered at Dahlgren, but somehow I must have forgotten to pack my fancy duds. So I went in in my best shorts and tee shirt and told them "This is as good as it gets." They laughed and showed me to a table.

Feral Bill
02-16-2014, 10:56
Gazing at NYC glowing in the night from West Mountain Shelter.

takethisbread
02-16-2014, 11:10
1. katahdin
2. the white mountains NH
3. Grayson Highlands
4. The smoky mountain national park
5. the town of Harpers Ferry
6. Vermont
7. 100 mile wilderness and the countless lakes and rivers
8. Shenandoah
9. the southern balds
10. mcafee knob

-I'd put the blooms on the rhody and azalea but they tend to bloom a bit after the thru hikers blow through. I'd to one day go to smokies / roan area and check it out in June . see how it all looks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BrianLe
02-16-2014, 11:36
Not much to add to what's already listed --- I would include the Doyle hotel, however.

Happy44
02-16-2014, 13:18
well, the doyle is so bad its good, and #10 mcafee knob, isnt all that great but when you combine all 3 view,(near hikermom) pickle branch shelter(691.6) through lamberts meadows shelter(714.6) has tinkers cliffs , mcafee's knobs and dragons tooth, all within an easy one day hike, going north bound the dragons tooth will slow you down coming down because of the steepness but if your a sobo, going up was easy for me!

Prime Time
02-16-2014, 13:19
Not much to add to what's already listed --- I would include the Doyle hotel, however.
I concur about the Doyle and I thought Long Gone described it best: The most dilapated, discusting place I've ever stayed at, and totally worth it.

I'd add The Lookout in Vermont and Upper Goose Pond Cabin.

Happy44
02-16-2014, 13:29
i want to add the corn fields in early fall in southern PA, i felt like frodo

stacy324
02-16-2014, 13:51
...considered essential to the AT experience ...

The first week on the trail during thru hiker season. That is an experience that should not be missed by anyone - whether you hike to whole trail or not.

Pedaling Fool
02-16-2014, 13:51
These come to my mind. Katahdin, The Whites, Grayson Highlands, the lakes of Maine, rhododendron in spring.Just make sure you don't refer to them as "lakes" or you'll just be another touron:D They're ponds:)

max patch
02-16-2014, 14:09
Someone who has been to the Doyle recently can confirm or deny this, but I believe they allow smoking which means that you need to be 18 to enter. Which means you would have to defer this trip for a few years so that Snacktime can enjoy the experience.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 14:14
I would only do a walk by here anyway. The Doyle has nothing to offer us other than "seeing it" as an AT icon. We don't drink, been-there, done-that with the live entertainment bar-scene (and of course Snacktime is too young). As for the accommodation....I'll pass. But it should certainly be an item on the list.

Kerosene
02-16-2014, 14:51
well, the doyle is so bad its good, and #10 mcafee knob, isnt all that great but when you combine all 3 view,(near hikermom) pickle branch shelter(691.6) through lamberts meadows shelter(714.6) has tinkers cliffs , mcafee's knobs and dragons tooth, all within an easy one day hike, going north bound the dragons tooth will slow you down coming down because of the steepness but if your a sobo, going up was easy for me!I thought that the section from Buena Vista to Dragon's Tooth had more going for it in a short length than most other sections, at least for the effort.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-16-2014, 15:00
Effort? Effort? I didn't say anything about effort! Isn't all of this stuff EASY? :)

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2014, 15:32
In the idea of a bucket list, what places on and off the trail should be considered essential to the AT experience? I don't mean for a thru-hiker, but for anyone interested in getting an appreciation for the AT. This could include hikes, (easy, hard, ridiculous), views, shelters, hostels, towns, individuals/legends....anything that should be checked off on a list with the heading:

I'll never hike all of the Appalachian Trail, but I've gotten to see:

....and yes, I absolutely plan on compiling any contributions to make this list for Snacktime and myself. Since I plan to break it up by state, please identify the location of your suggestions. Thanks!
In Franconia Notch, NH: If you have time, and/or don't care if you blue blaze a few miles, consider after crossing I-91 in Franconia State Park making a right hand turn and taking the Pemi Trail or the paved walkway that runs parallel to it approx. 3/4 mile south to The Flume. It's a paid admission boardwalk type loop hike through a very scenic and interesting, but tourist centered, canyon area. Leaving there, head back north on the Pemi Trail, but do not turn right back onto the AT/Liberty Springs Trail. Instead, follow the Pemi Trail about 2 miles further north and turn right (east) onto the Falling Waters Trail. It parallels the Liberty Springs Trails (AT), but is a much more beautiful hike up through a cascading stream area with many waterfalls as the name suggests. Not recommended in freezing conditions. It intersects (rejoins) the AT/Franconia Ridge Trail at the summit of Little Haystack Mountain just south of Mounts Lincoln and Lafayette. I think the only reason the AT isn't routed over Falling Waters is to keep the hiker traffic down as it is a very popular trail [It is part of one of the most used/abused day loop hikes in the Whites - Old Bridle Path to Greenleaf to Franconia Ridge/AT to Falling Waters]

CarlZ993
02-16-2014, 20:37
No, the Mountian Harbor B+B has the amazing breakfast. The homemade cinnamon sticky buns are to die for, along with the other dozen or so dishes she puts out which fills a full size kitchen table :)
I agree with this. What a spread!!! Yum!

bfayer
02-17-2014, 08:28
Trillium and Mayapple in full bloom carpeting the forest floor,
Jack in the Pulpit popping up here and there amongst their more ubiquitous brethren and sisteren.
Spring in the mountains comes a little later, think May... then come Azaleas, Rhododendron, and Mountain Laurel for some icing on yer cake. Pictures are great...being there is magic. Won't be too long now.

So true. I love the mountains of Virginia!!, some say the AT in VA is boring, but they are passing through at the wrong time of year.

Rain Man
02-17-2014, 10:58

LA LALA LALA LALA! I'm not LISTENING!

Cowards! Pics or it didn't happen, either. LOL

Did I mention my youngest daughter had a pet tarantula for many years, until she died (the tarantula, not the daughter!)? :)

Rain:sunMan

rickb
02-17-2014, 11:05
Cheshire cheese monument (and it's ilk)
View on the Manhattan Skyline

Rain Man
02-17-2014, 11:08
Lots of great suggestions so far. In racking my brain for others, I remember the climb out of Palmerton, PA up the Blue Mountain SuperFund site to be a climb worth doing. Steep and fun, just don't drink the water, of which there is none. Here's my daughter, Grass, doing it in '04.

HikerMom58
02-17-2014, 11:12
Cowards! Pics or it didn't happen, either. LOL

Did I mention my youngest daughter had a pet tarantula for many years, until she died (the tarantula, not the daughter!)? :)

Oh gezz.. Rain Man. I'm not freaked out too badly but that would freak out my girl. :) My daughter does have a pic of a huge spider in a shelter.... #1 reason she sleeps in her tent. ;)

Cool pic, Rain Man, coming out of Palmerton PA... that will be us this May.

Deer Hunter
02-17-2014, 11:19
So true. I love the mountains of Virginia!!, some say the AT in VA is boring, but they are passing through at the wrong time of year.

I agree. I love Virginia. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 11:24
Cheshire cheese monument (and it's ilk)
View on the Manhattan Skyline

What is the Cheshire Cheese Monument? This is new to me...

HikerMom58
02-17-2014, 11:26
I agree. I love Virginia. I can't think of anywhere else I would rather live.

Virginia is the BEST! +2

I like NH and New England too! :)

Odd Man Out
02-17-2014, 11:37
With all this talk of Azaleas and Rhododendron, isn't the Dogwood the state flower of VA? I recall these from my days growing up in MD. When do they bloom?

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 11:38
The really great thing about these suggestions is that Snacktime and I have already seen so many of them, and that we have so many more in store for us this spring! It leads me to believe when this "challenge" is over in 2 yrs, he will have truly gotten an appreciation for what the AT represents, what it has to offer in terms of natural beauty, ecological diversity, spiritual fulfillment, sense of community, sense of personal accomplishment, appreciation for regional differences (cultural and geographic), understanding of our national history, self-reliance, and of course, fun.

Keep the ideas coming....I'm working on a checklist format!

rickb
02-17-2014, 11:41
What is the Cheshire Cheese Monument? This is new to me...

In and of itself it is rather insignificant-- as are the events that inspired it.

But it is representative of many (many) brushes with history that one finds along the trail which can add a different dimension to ones hike, and sense of place. For some that can matter as much as a vista, and for others not so much.

aficion
02-17-2014, 11:44
With all this talk of Azaleas and Rhododendron, isn't the Dogwood the state flower of VA? I recall these from my days growing up in MD. When do they bloom?

Generally in April around here, depends a little on weather, elevation etc. They are usually in full bloom by Easter.:sun

Lone Wolf
02-17-2014, 11:48
I would only do a walk by here anyway. The Doyle has nothing to offer us other than "seeing it" as an AT icon. We don't drink, been-there, done-that with the live entertainment bar-scene (and of course Snacktime is too young). As for the accommodation....I'll pass. But it should certainly be an item on the list.it's a bar. no big deal. i never spent much time there

Lone Wolf
02-17-2014, 11:51
check out the springs in boiling springs, pa.

RED-DOG
02-17-2014, 11:56
1 Gulf Hagas.
2 The Dungeon ( at lake of the clouds hut ).
3 the Chocolate Factory ( Mass ).
4 the Cookie Lady ( Kent Conn ).
5 Harper's ferry ( believe it or not it's really a Historical park ).
6 the Place ( in Catawba VA ).
7 the Jail House hostel ( in Palmerton PA ).
8 Mcafee's Knob.
9 Partnership Shelter ( it actually has a shower ).
10 Charlie's Bunnion ( GSMNP ).
11 The Tower on Clingmans Dome.
12 Wayha Bald Fire Tower.
13 the top of Albert Mountain.
14 the Approach Trail ( everbody should experience the falls it really is unforgettable ).

Seatbelt
02-17-2014, 12:01
I would like to add the old twisted oak tree in Bly Gap.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 12:02
it's a bar. no big deal. i never spent much time there

The only "bar" Snacktime and I would bother with is the Blue Blaze, and that would just be to pop in to see you, LW!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 12:03
I would like to add the old twisted oak tree in Bly Gap.

Yep....on the list for this spring! We might even camp there if we decide to make it an overnight!

Seatbelt
02-17-2014, 12:06
The sidetrips to the many firetowers along the trail--worth the effort it if the sky is clear.

aficion
02-17-2014, 12:07
I would add Ottie Cline Powell's marker. His is a heart wrenching tale.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 12:16
1 Gulf Hagas.
2 The Dungeon ( at lake of the clouds hut ).
3 the Chocolate Factory ( Mass ).
5 Harper's ferry ( believe it or not it's really a Historical park ).
6 the Place ( in Catawba VA ).
7 the Jail House hostel ( in Palmerton PA ).
8 Mcafee's Knob.
9 Partnership Shelter ( it actually has a shower ).
10 Charlie's Bunnion ( GSMNP ).
11 The Tower on Clingmans Dome.
12 Wayha Bald Fire Tower.
13 the top of Albert Mountain.
14 the Approach Trail ( everbody should experience the falls it really is unforgettable ).

4) We've "done" Kent, but missed her....perhaps we need to revisit
5) Done, done and redone....all the museums, sights, and the JR Ranger badges
8) Done while visiting HikerMom last fall
11,12,14) Planned for our Spring Trip

The rest of these need to be planned !

RED-DOG
02-17-2014, 12:19
I woulkd like to add three Hostels.
1 Elmers ( sunnybank Inn in Hot Springs ).
2 Kincora ( bob is a pretty cool person worth meeting ).
3 Shaw's place ( but this could be their last year ).
oh yeah the Hot Springs in HS is pretty awesome especially if you'r super tired.

Seatbelt
02-17-2014, 12:24
The sidetrips to the many firetowers along the trail--worth the effort it if the sky is clear.
Sorry I didn't notice that RED-DOG had already mentioned this.

bamboo bob
02-17-2014, 12:30
Someone who has been to the Doyle recently can confirm or deny this, but I believe they allow smoking which means that you need to be 18 to enter. Which means you would have to defer this trip for a few years so that Snacktime can enjoy the experience.

The Doyle used to be a pit but it's been upgraded to a dump! A very good bar too. Good food. Hiker Heaven to me.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 12:34
Sorry I didn't notice that RED-DOG had already mentioned this.

Not to worry...it's important enough to mention twice! An we have a couple of these planned for the Spring hike too!

daimonpaul
02-17-2014, 13:06

I would only do a walk by here anyway. The Doyle has nothing to offer us other than "seeing it" as an AT icon. We don't drink, been-there, done-that with the live entertainment bar-scene (and of course Snacktime is too young). As for the accommodation....I'll pass. But it should certainly be an item on the list.

I was at the Doyle last Summer, and it wasn't smoking. Though it isn't your typical bar-scene, I've never seen any live entertainment there. It's usually quiet, and more of a family type atmosphere during the hiking off season. Plus the service is friendly and excellent, Pat and Vicky are very nice people. Yes, it is a little run down (I stayed there for a night in early 2012, mostly just for the experience), but I can tell you I've seen way worse motels that cost twice as much for a night. Accommodations aside, the food is great, that's what I go there for. Luckily I only live a 40 minute drive away.

daimonpaul
02-17-2014, 13:09
Doyle aside, I would say:

The AT Museum in Pine Grove Furnace State Park of Pa
The Pinnacle overlook in Pa
The Port Clinton Hotel, which is similar to the Doyle only in better shape. The food there is excellent too
The town of Harpers Ferry
The White Mountains in NH, which is my dream vacation spot. Screw Florida and California lol

coach lou
02-17-2014, 13:21
check out the springs in boiling springs, pa.

Bring a fly rod!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-17-2014, 13:27
Bring a fly rod!

I haven't fly-fished since I was about Snacktime's age Coach. Don't have the gear anymore. Is the fishing restricted or can lures/bait be used?

Berserker
02-17-2014, 13:34
I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet...the Inn at Long Trail. Nothing like an ice cold Vermont half (that's a Black and Tan with Long Trail Ale substituted for Bass) with some great pub food.

Lone Wolf
02-17-2014, 13:55
Bring a fly rod!
i'm talkin' about the spring not the lake

peakbagger
02-17-2014, 17:57
Breakfast on the deck at the sporting camp near Pierce Pond Shelter in Maine.

Gulf Hagas in Maine (it doesnt live up the hype of the grand canyon of Main but is still a nice walk)

Blueberry season in most of Maine, the ones up on the rocky ridges can be prolific, Moxie Bald comes to mind. But Bemis and Baldpates can have some good ones.

Chimney Pond in the Great Basin on Katahdin, Some folks argue skipping the approach trail in GA is a minor crime, skipping the Chimney pond side of Baxter would be a felony, the mountain is completely different on both sides. Hard to beat the Knifes edge and then down Helon Talyor trail to finish off an AT hike. on a good day (good way to swear off hiking on a bad one)

West Mountain Shelter in NY, sure its a beat up old shelter but hard to beat the views.

The summit of West Bond in the Whites, many thruhikers head over to Guyot Campsite and West Bond is a short hikefrok the campsite, great for sunset. It is about the most isolated spot in the whites with incredible views.

adairandrew
02-17-2014, 18:25
Any part of Maine...I can't get the Bigs out of my mind 3 years later; GSMNP; Lafayette Ridge in the Whites

rafe
02-24-2014, 23:49
White Mountains have been mentioned in a generic way but I have a particular fondness for the Franconia Ridge. It's pretty much what drew me to the AT. It can be horribly overcrowded on a gorgeous summer day, and terrifying when it's socked in, but the view is truly magnificent when the weather cooperates. I feel sad when I read journals of folks who hiked that stretch, or other portions of the Whites (esp. above treeline) in bad weather.

Another magical spot: Cedar Cliffs, about a day's hike south of Waynesboro. Watching the sun set over the Three Ridges. Or the summit of Baldpate just before a hailstorm. Oh, and Pierce Pond!

BillyGr
02-25-2014, 16:59

I thought that she was the one in MA shortly after coming from October Mtn heading North, so in the stretch between Rt 20 and Dalton. Maybe that was someone else?

coach lou
02-25-2014, 17:02
I thought that she was the one in MA shortly after coming from October Mtn heading North, so in the stretch between Rt 20 and Dalton. Maybe that was someone else?
You are correct. Marsha the Laundry lady is in Kent!

Drybones
02-25-2014, 18:53

Mountain Harbour if you want a hikers dream breakfast.

Drybones
02-25-2014, 18:57
It's all good...the folks I interacted with was what made a location memorable.

02-25-2014, 20:23
Springer Mt shelter on March 1. Any year. Cannot miss that day. The swing at Hog Camp Gap.

Leanthree
02-25-2014, 21:48

The firetower above culver gap on July 4th. Like 40 different fireworks shows in all directions.

RockDoc
02-25-2014, 22:05
All I remember is the Instant Grits…. the rest wasn't so memorable I guess.
I would prefer Shaw's threefer breakfast from a few years ago, good luck eating that much!

you HAVE to get to Hiker Hostel in GA--that is one amazing breakfast!

Crestview_hiker
02-25-2014, 23:32
The journey and anything that the experience brings my way.

Teacher & Snacktime
02-25-2014, 23:50
In the immortal words of Ray Scheider (paraphrased of course)..."we're gonna need a bigger trip"