PDA

View Full Version : Best locations to meet with family and friends on a thru hike

A/B
02-15-2014, 21:45
Tried searching for this, and did not find specific links...

I'm doing a thru hike this year, and my wife wants to meet up with me for a zero day, every month or so. Why she would want to meet up with a grubby hiker, I don't know, but a nice distraction!

Has anyone published a list of best/friendly/convenient towns along the AT? As an example, I am meeting with the wife, kids, and grandkids, who surprised me by taking their Easter vacation in Ashville.

There are some obvious choices of big towns along the way, such as Roanoke, Damascus, Harpers Ferry, etc, but I'm looking for some favorites that may have some local sightseeing off trail. Thanks!

Teacher & Snacktime
02-15-2014, 21:52
I can only speak for Damascus, VA and Harpers Ferry, WV....both great places to just relax. But you can't beat DC for sightseeing, and it's certainly reachable.

Zippy Morocco
02-15-2014, 21:57
How about Hanover, NH

4eyedbuzzard
02-15-2014, 22:08
Add NYC, Bennington and Manchester Center VT, Hanover, Franconia, and Gorham, NH

Lady Grey
02-15-2014, 22:20
Hot Springs, NC was a great spot for my husband to meet me. I took two zeros and we went into Asheville for one of the nights, which was fun and only about a 45 minute drive from Hot Springs.

HikerMom58
02-16-2014, 09:12
+1 on meeting up in Hot Springs. We enjoyed meeting there as well.

ki0eh
02-16-2014, 10:16
Duncannon could be a good place to meet, family/friends might not necessarily want to stay at the Doyle (eating there is good) but they could stay in nearby Harrisburg and also visit Hershey and/or Gettysburg and/or the tourist Amish country or some other stuff. http://www.visithersheyharrisburg.org/index.asp http://www.visitcumberlandvalley.com http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

TheCheek
02-16-2014, 13:21
Gettysburg, PA

A/B
02-17-2014, 20:30
Thanks for some ideas!

shelterbuilder
02-17-2014, 21:22
Port Clinton, Pa., perhaps? The Yuengling Brewery is about 20 miles north on Rt. 61, Cabela's is a couple of miles south, Hawk Mountain Sanctuary is just over the mountain (a few miles to the northeast), and if you REALLY want to visit Lancaster County (Amish/ Pa. Dutch), that's only a short drive south (maybe an hour). Hershey Park and Dorney Park are also within easy driving distance, too. Plus, the Port Clinton Hotel's food is great, the Port Clinton Peanut Shop is right there (candy and nuts in bulk), and if you're into fishing, the Schuylkill River and the Little Schuylkill River join at this point. For a change of pace, the Schuylkill River Trail joins the A.T. just above the town, and much of it is suitable for biking as well as walking.

Robin2013AT
02-17-2014, 21:48
Mt Greylock summit. My 87 yo parents met me there..not far from RI. You could even get a room up at Bascom lodge and all stay together. Not much to do in Williamstown but they could help you resupply and drop you back at the summit. Just a heads up...although I missed my family and friends very much I found it very stressfull trying to connect. Time schedules become your enemy on the trail.

RED-DOG
02-18-2014, 10:03
1 Hot Springs NC.
2 Erwin TN.
3 Damascus VA.
4 Pearisburg VA.
5 Waynesboro VA.
6 Harpers Ferry WV.
7 Boiling Springs PA.
8 Palmerton PA.
9 Delaware Water Gap PA ( Stroudsburg ).
10 Pawling NY.
11 Bear Mt NY.
12 Kent CT.
13 Cheshire MA.
14 Bennington VT.
15 Manchester Center VT
16 Hanover NH.
17 Stratton ME.
18 Monson ME.

Good Luck and Happy trails.

trailangelmary
02-21-2014, 14:53
Duncannon could be a good place to meet, family/friends might not necessarily want to stay at the Doyle (eating there is good) but they could stay in nearby Harrisburg and also visit Hershey and/or Gettysburg and/or the tourist Amish country or some other stuff. http://www.visithersheyharrisburg.org/index.asp http://www.visitcumberlandvalley.com http://www.padutchcountry.com/index.asp

Nearby motel (3 miles) from downtown Duncannon where many hikers stay that don't want to stay at the Doyle Hotel is the Stardust Motel.

ki0eh
02-21-2014, 16:59
Nearby motel (3 miles) from downtown Duncannon where many hikers stay that don't want to stay at the Doyle Hotel is the Stardust Motel.

True, but sometimes family and friends types would prefer not to stay there either...

peakbagger
02-21-2014, 17:16
Gorham NH is great spot if you can line up with fourth of July, they have an old fashioned event that lasts 4 or 5 days. Small town carnival, concerts on the common every night and all sorts of white mountain attractions nearby. Also a great way to set up a few slackpacks. Lot of tourist attractions nearby and they can drive up Mt Washington or take the Cog up. Would be sweet way of breaking up the long above treeline stretch for you.

Southerner
02-22-2014, 00:52
The great part about meeting family and friends along the way is that they presumably will have a car, so you are not limited to meeting them in the traditional "trail towns." In fact, they will probably enjoy their visit more going to slightly larger cities and towns that have more tourist offerings. Here's a short list from the South. Maybe someone from the North can continue with suggestions up their way.

Asheville, NC (as already planned)
Boone and/or Banner Elk, NC
Knoxville, Tn.
Abingdon, Va.
Roanoke, Va.
Lexington, Va.
Charlottesville, Va.
Luray, Va.

If you want your family to see a quintessential trail town, probably Hot Springs or Damascus would be the best choices (for the South).

Austin 2014
02-25-2014, 10:57
This is a helpful thread! I have a bit of a silly question. My boyfriend wants to meet me somewhere along the way, but he really wants to go to the beach. I'm not very familiar with the east coast. Are there any trail towns that are sorta kinda close to a decent beach?

rafe
02-25-2014, 11:22
This is a helpful thread! I have a bit of a silly question. My boyfriend wants to meet me somewhere along the way, but he really wants to go to the beach. I'm not very familiar with the east coast. Are there any trail towns that are sorta kinda close to a decent beach?

A sandy ocean beach? No, not really. There are swim-able lakes, ponds and streams here and there. :)

The AT comes close to the sea (a few dozen miles) near New York City, but I personally wouldn't leave the trail to swim at NYC beaches.

It also passes within a reasonable distance of Washington, DC, but I don't know the beach scene there.

Austin 2014
02-25-2014, 23:39
A sandy ocean beach? No, not really. There are swim-able lakes, ponds and streams here and there. :)

The AT comes close to the sea (a few dozen miles) near New York City, but I personally wouldn't leave the trail to swim at NYC beaches.

It also passes within a reasonable distance of Washington, DC, but I don't know the beach scene there.

Thanks. That's pretty much what I figured but I had to ask.

2015 Lady Thru-Hiker
02-25-2014, 23:57
At the more southern end of the trail there is Sherando Lake which is very close to Waynesboro, VA. Very nice lake, family type campground with very nice campsites and bathhouses. If you are up for taking a few days off the trail you could go to Virginia Beach, which would be about 3.5 hours to the southeast.

4eyedbuzzard
02-26-2014, 00:04

Coney Island in NYC. Many Jersey shore beaches. All accessible by public transportation in a few hours.

trailangelmary
02-26-2014, 16:55

If he gets lucky and meets someone from MD shores that decides to take some zeros there, you could meet him there.
2 hours from Harrisburg, PA (trailtown Duncannon PA 15 miles from Harrisburg) to Atlantic City, New Jersey. Probably buses from Harrisburg to there. You could meet him there ten drive to nicer beach south of Atlantic City. I love Cape May and highly recommend it. But lots of nice beach towns in New Jersey.

takethisbread
03-19-2014, 19:09
nothing in the southern 400 miles is easy for new englanders, it's easier for us once I-81 parallels the trail. I'd say Harpers Ferry, DWG, Pawling cuz of train for New Yorkers, Lee, Ma, Hanover NH all great to meet up but Harpers ferry the best bc it's a great tourist attraction and DC is so close and the train station right there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafe
03-19-2014, 19:37
As a mental exercise, starting from the Hudson and going north...

Bear Mtn./Poughkeepsie, NY
Kent, CT
Falls Village, CT
Salisbury, CT
Great Barrington, MA
Dalton, MA
Cheshire, MA
North Adams/Williamstown MA
Bennington, VT
Manchester, VT
Rte 4. (Killington) VT
Hanover, NH
Lincoln/North Woodstock, NH
North Conway/Jackson, NH
Gorham, NH
(Bethel, ME)
Andover, ME
Rangeley, ME
Stratton, ME
Monson, ME
Baxter State Park
Millinocket, ME

Bethel ME is not a typical thru-hiker town but I just thought I'd throw it in there. It's about 20 minutes by car from Grafton Notch.