PDA

View Full Version : Seam Sealing my brand spanking Tarp tent stratospire 1

Fletchlives1234
02-16-2014, 10:52
I have just bought a brand spanking Stratospire 1 from Tarptent and I'm on the cusp of setting it up in the garden.
I have had a look at the set up vids and the seal sealing vid and all looks pretty straight forward.

Just one thing to check about the seam sealing. On researching other products i.e. waterproof overmits I have read that seam sealing can look awful. In this case I think zpacks tape sealed mitts were recommended over the msr equivalents, due to the poor aesthetics / finish as a result of using seam sealer.

I understand that seam sealing is necessary I just wondered in this "awful appearance" after the sealant has been applied is actually true with the tarptents?Specifically those from Henry shires

If this is the case is there anything I can do to improve the finish?? As it would be a shame to ruin my brand spanking Strat 1.

Many thanks,

Flethlives

jeffmeh
02-16-2014, 12:02
If you have never done it before, just take it slow. I recommend using a good quality, tapered paint brush, only as wide as necessary to cover the seams, to apply the thinned silicone solution.

OCDave
02-16-2014, 12:12
After applying sealing solution, wipe off excess with a rag. It will look fine.

Good Luck

bigcranky
02-16-2014, 12:19
Yes, it can look like snails crawled all over your tent. It doesn't help when you lean over to hit the top seam and spill sealer all over the side in big globs. (Ask me how I know this :) ) Just go slowly and carefully, and thin out the sealant so it goes on smoothly and gets down in the needle holes.

grayfox
02-16-2014, 12:42
Not everything needs seam sealing to be functional and a poor job of applying sealer can make your gear look bad even if the sealer is needed.

Set up your tent and try to identify the seams that are most vulnerable to leaking. A seam, or any stitches, where water is likely to pool as the damp fabric stretches and sags should be sealed. A seam near the edge of a tarp is less likely to be a problem. An unsealed ridgeline seam will not usually leak even in a downpour.

Once you know which seams you want to protect, you can seal the tent while it is set up. This will keep the fabric tight but may allow the sealer, especially if you have thinned it, to drip. You may want to lay the tent out on a table but remember that sealer may leak though the seam onto the table or underlying fabric.

It is hard to make the sealer look neat. I file a small, one inch or so wide and 1/16 deep, indentation in the side of a plastic card and use it to smooth out the sealer. I lay the fabric on a flat surface and just squeeze out a small bead of sealer along the seam. Then I run the card over the seam and the sealer spreads out along the seam inside the notch making a neat line of even sealer. I touch up the line after the first coat dries if I need to. When it dries, a bit of any kind of body powder will keep the sealer from sticking to itself.

Apply as little sealer as will do the job, smooth it out as well as you can, and make the sealer wide enough to prevent water from wicking under the sealer to the seam. Good luck, hope this helps, grayfox

Fletchlives1234
02-16-2014, 12:57
Great advice guys. I will roll my sleeves up and have a go.

Mobius
02-16-2014, 14:04
Maybe I dilute my silicon too much but I have a hard time telling where the sealing was even done once it's dry. You can generally feel it though. It's got that non-slip feel. I paint a few anti-slip stripes on the inside bottom too. I always set up on a warm sunny day, get a good tight pitch, and work from the top down (so I can catch any drips). I use one of those cheap (50 cent) foam brushes from the hardware store.

wornoutboots
02-16-2014, 18:09
I've never seam sealed a new tent & I've never had one leak?? Does the manufacturer suggest it??

10-K
02-16-2014, 21:32
I'm don't care how it looks as long as it works....

scrabbler
02-16-2014, 21:53

…and at the end of the day…that's really what counts!

bigcranky
02-17-2014, 08:51
I've never seam sealed a new tent & I've never had one leak?? Does the manufacturer suggest it??

Depends on the tent. Many tents have tape on the seams to waterproof them. Most single-wall silnylon shelters (like Tarptent brand shelters) aren't taped, and they require seam sealing with silicone sealant.

bfayer
02-17-2014, 08:56

Agree, it's a tent not a fashion statement. Just make sure you sprinkle a little baby powder on the seams after they dry. It will keep them from sticking together when you pack the tent.

Rocket Jones
02-17-2014, 09:43
While you're at it, paint some dots or lines on the inside floor to keep your pad from sliding around at night.

Don H
02-17-2014, 09:52
I thin the silicone sealer and put it in a tile grout sealer applicator, costs about $5 from Home Depot.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-4-oz-Grout-Sealer-Applicator-Brush-Bottle-for-Walls-19999X/203714418

Does an neat and fast job. I've sealed several sil nylon tents with this.

Drybones
02-17-2014, 16:16
If you are seam sealing silnylon and wipe off the excess you wil not be able to tel it has been done.

Sheriff Cougar
02-18-2014, 00:17
I have a Contrail and seam sealed from the inside. Did it in my bedroom. It dries really quick. Looked good to me and I am pretty picky!

Meriadoc
02-18-2014, 00:39
Also a finger is a great applicator. I think it affords better control than a brush.

q-tip
02-18-2014, 11:46
In addition to seam sealing, I put two coats of Atsko Silicon spray inside and outside the tent. This increases the water repellancy and is suggested by Henry, mad a world of difference.....Send me a PM if you need more info....

BuckeyeBill
02-18-2014, 12:56
For $25.00, Henry will seam seal your Tarptent for you. That's what I am going to have done. HYOH

Sent via my Apple II GS using hunt and peck index finger typing.

Starvin Marvin
02-18-2014, 13:48
In addition to seam sealing, I put two coats of Atsko Silicon spray inside and outside the tent. This increases the water repellancy and is suggested by Henry, mad a world of difference.....Send me a PM if you need more info....

doesn't this add weight?
did you ever weigh your tent before and after, to see how much it adds?

Medic!
02-19-2014, 11:01
Maybe I dilute my silicon too much but I have a hard time telling where the sealing was even done once it's dry. You can generally feel it though. It's got that non-slip feel. I paint a few anti-slip stripes on the inside bottom too. I always set up on a warm sunny day, get a good tight pitch, and work from the top down (so I can catch any drips). I use one of those cheap (50 cent) foam brushes from the hardware store.

This is the exact same technique and result that I got with my tarptent. Diluted to thin syrup consistency and applied slowly with a foam brush. Can hardly see an difference, but can feel it.