PDA

View Full Version : Traditional poles vs Whippet

Texaco
02-16-2014, 12:36
Hi All-

Wanted to ask you all about your opinion on a whippet. My dad's big into winter hiking in the NH48s, summits Washington once or twice a month in feet of snow with his group of hiking friends. He's vicariously living through my planning and 2014 thru attempt. He'll be meeting up with me for the 100 mile wilderness and Katahdin towards the end.

In a few of our long gear-based conversations, he's suggested that I take a whippet pole instead of traditional hiking poles. His thought is that on the steeper inclines, I could use the whippet portion to help pull myself uphill.

Do any of you have thoughts on this, or experience with the whippet on the A.T.? Is it worth the extra weight of the hook, discomfort of the unit as a whole, and potential lack of hitchhiking due to the axe murderer look that it'd portray?

Ryan
"Texaco"

Malto
02-16-2014, 12:43
I wouldn't go that route but that is mainly because I do like two poles reduce falling, pulling myself up hills etc. I also use my poles for my shelter which makes it impractical as well. I can see the appeal for heavy snow areas but not for the southern AT.

Slo-go'en
02-16-2014, 12:57
I thought a "whippet" was used to inhale nitrous oxide :) I'll have to google that term to find out what it is used in this context, but I'd go with Leki or Black Dimand trekking poles as being more practical. Sure there are some steep climbs here and there, but that's what trees along the trail are for.

Texaco
02-16-2014, 13:11
I thought a "whippet" was used to inhale nitrous oxide :)

Thanks for pointing this out... here's an image of a Whippet

kayak karl
02-16-2014, 13:13
I thought a "whippet" was used to inhale nitrous oxide :)

Its a dog.

Deadeye
02-16-2014, 17:11
since you asked... that thing is meant as a substitute ice-axe for self-arrest, not a climbing aid. Most folks I know use hiking poles to help with the descent, not the ascent. When the climbing gets that steep, many put their poles away so they can use their hands.

BrianLe
02-17-2014, 03:57
Your tagline says NOBO April 4th, for this year on the AT. So no way. Definitely not.

I used a Whippet as one of my two poles from the start going SOBO on the CDT, and it was certainly helpful going through Glacier National Park in a lot of snow starting mid-June.
But the AT starting in early April from Springer? Assuming the question is serious, then ... no.

Starchild
02-17-2014, 08:29
...Do any of you have thoughts on this...
There are practically no steeper inclines in the south. And poles are mainly for downhill, stopping falling water crossing and tent support on the AT.

Also thru hiking is very different then peak bagging. Your dad's experience peak bagging is not as valuable for a thru. This is a indication that you may need him to step back and allow you to, as we say here, HYOH (hike your own hike). Part of the AT thru is a process of self discovery, which parents sometimes interfere with, especially the ones that try to live too vicariously through their children.

Additionally, his plan to visit you in ME, you will be hiking at thru hiker speed, and have a social group, having a non-thru visit you will interfere with both of them (slowing you down and you will lose your social trail family). Even visiting you at Katahdin will most likely have you summit later in the day then the other thrus, you 2 will pass them on their way down.

I would suggest asking him to help on other ways, meeting at trail towns, rides, resupply help, etc. That's the type of support you will really need, everything else including close (trail) family members are supplied by the trail itself.

bigcranky
02-17-2014, 08:43
I thought it was a dog breed, too.

Holy cr@p that thing will scare the bejeezus out of everyone you meet on the trail, especially in the south. Forget about hitching rides. Or having anyone camp with you. If you buy a black cagoule with a hood, it will complete the effect. You'll have plenty of solitude, anyway.

Serious answer? Not needed at all.

Texaco
02-17-2014, 11:32
I appreciate the answers! He's certainly knowledgable in his winter stuff, and yes I'm aware of the primary use being self arrest. I just wanted to put it out to the masses. He's absolutely in no way dictating or even trying to sway my views on things, just offering a sounding board and giving his opinion. As far as him meeting up, obviously time can change things, but he's an exceptionally strong hiker who does 22-25 mile days in the whites quite regularly. No concern there.

I'm going into this on my own. Just wanted to ask about the practical application, which has been answered. Having never hiked the southern Appalachians, these weren't answers I had- hence asking you all.

Thanks for the input! I'll stick to two normal poles.

colorado_rob
02-17-2014, 11:45
Those whippets are awesome on moderate hard-snow climbs, used all the time here in Colorado and the European alps, but useless on the AT, sorry, unless you did some sections in the winter, which you apparently are not. Just repeating what has already been said.

Texaco
02-18-2014, 18:31
Those whippets are awesome on moderate hard-snow climbs, used all the time here in Colorado and the European alps, but useless on the AT, sorry, unless you did some sections in the winter, which you apparently are not. Just repeating what has already been said.

Thanks for the input Rob! I'm now searching for normal poles :)