PDA

View Full Version : Umbrella?

elray
02-16-2014, 12:51
I've been sectioning for the last fifteen years and have only seen a couple of umbrellas and one of those was home made. Who carries one?

Hill Ape
02-16-2014, 13:02
grandma gatewood, if it was good enough for her, who am i to question

Deadeye
02-16-2014, 13:04
I do. Depending on the circumstances, it can make a miserable day much more comfortable. I find it particularly useful in warm weather, conditions when showers pop up then disappear. It also helps your w/b raingear function better by helping the fabric not wet out. Essential gear IMO, YMMV.

4eyedbuzzard
02-16-2014, 13:21
I found that even at 5 or 6 oz for a UL one, they could be a PIA if there was above a light wind or if there were any branches to snag on. It also ties up one of your hands if you use poles and you can at times get tired holding it. But in a steady rain they will keep you dryer. I tried a Go Lite brand one a couple of times, it's honestly now part of my "city travel gear". But others find them useful, and I admit that I always have one with me on the golf course. One of those some find them useful, others don't items.

Colter
02-16-2014, 13:45
The only time I've carried an umbrella was in some of the hottest parts of the Desert Trail, and found it to be worthwhile.

Otherwise, they are not a good fit for the way I hike. I see a lot more enthusiasm for umbrellas on the forums than I do on the trails. That said, there are definitely people for whom umbrellas work well.

kennyxedge
02-16-2014, 13:48
A guy I hiked with a couple years ago had one at the start, we dubbed him 'Mary Poppins'. I don't remember exactly when he ditched it, but it was before Damascus.

dmax
02-16-2014, 13:55
I've carried one for years. There are ways to attach to your pack so you can hike hands free, except during the hardest of winds.

chiefduffy
02-16-2014, 15:34
I've carried one for years. There are ways to attach to your pack so you can hike hands free, except during the hardest of winds.

.. Me too.

Just Bill
02-16-2014, 17:33
Except for my UL kits, I am still a big fan. There are definite stretches and seasons that they don't make sense on the AT, not speaking from experience- but there are definite stretches on the PCT that they can be indispensable. There are many, many ways to deal with rain for comparable weight. But there is not a single piece of gear to deal with sun for lighter than a reflective coated umbrella. I wouldn't think twice about brining it on the PCT, AT is a coin flip, and here at home our trails switch from forest to meadow often enough to make it a good choice often enough.

daddytwosticks
02-16-2014, 17:44
Just don't open them up inside shelters...bad luck! :)

Slo-go'en
02-16-2014, 18:03
It's rare to see an unbrella on the AT. I only meet one last year using one and of course got the trail name of "Poppins". She carried it whole way and apparently found it useful. I'd seriously consider using one out west where there is often little or no shade and a wide brim hat can be just too hot to wear. I'd have to be able to attach it to the pack, carrying it in one hands all day long would be a real pain in the elbow.

Just Bill
02-16-2014, 18:07
Hair-ties, not just for just bill's pigtails.

Sandy of PA
02-16-2014, 21:07
I always have mine. Two peices of elastic cord and two toggles makes it totally hands free. Check out my gallery photo if you want to see it in action.

hobby
02-16-2014, 21:38

+1...................

garlic08
02-17-2014, 08:41
...I see a lot more enthusiasm for umbrellas on the forums than I do on the trails. That said, there are definitely people for whom umbrellas work well.

Ditto this. I think people who don't use umbrellas don't talk about them much. I rarely see them, but those who use them like them.

I asked this question on a forum before my AT hike and you'd have thought from the responses that half the hikers out there carried umbrellas. I decided not to and don't think I saw a single one on the AT. A sagging wet or snow-laden branch, of which there are many on that trail, would not be fun with an umbrella. And I don't really want the trail name of Mary Poppins. I've seen more in the desert West. I've noticed most days I'd like to carry one have been very windy, so I wouldn't want to use one. If, like Colter, I'd hiked the West so much and maybe in a less-windy season, I'd probably try one.

dmax
02-17-2014, 11:11
Since I carry one I do not understand why you say not around wet or snowy branches. That would actually be another great time to have one. Hit the branch with the umbrella then walk under. Those that walk under without get full of snow... But not us. Unless its too bad, then just go under and open back up. .... I really like how these umbrella threads go. Everybody who never uses one says it won't work for the AT. How would they know? They don't use one. .. But ask somebody who does and they'll tell you they never leave home without one. ... Kinda like people asking about tents then somebody jumping saying tents won't work on the AT. You have to have a hammock.

Old Man Joe
02-17-2014, 11:47
Used one the second half of my thru-hike - loved it. Carry one religiously still. Fortunately, I only use one Mother Nature provided hiking stick so I always have a hand free to carry it.

English Stu
02-17-2014, 12:24
I used a Go-lite on the AT, a good piece of kit-can close up one end of a tarp as well. I broke mine with a trip over a root as the natural thing is to put the thing down.I mended it with a bit of branch till it went again.I bought another in a dollar store then after a few days dry weather and a good forecast I left it in a shelter, probably had one for about six weeks. Would try again if I can go hands free, not maybe on the AT as a rain jacket can have double use -for wind and to sleep in if very cold.

dmax
02-17-2014, 12:31
I use a tarp also and it does help for closing off blowing rain or extending my vestibule space.

daimonpaul
02-17-2014, 12:49
I had an old umbrella that had the handle broken off, so I used to slide the post down behind a buckle on the shoulder strap of my pack then wrap a bungee cord with the hooks cut off around it and tied it tight. Did the trick.

max patch
02-17-2014, 12:55
Since I carry one I do not understand why you say not around wet or snowy branches. That would actually be another great time to have one. Hit the branch with the umbrella then walk under. Those that walk under without get full of snow... But not us. Unless its too bad, then just go under and open back up. .... I really like how these umbrella threads go. Everybody who never uses one says it won't work for the AT. How would they know? They don't use one. .. But ask somebody who does and they'll tell you they never leave home without one. ... Kinda like people asking about tents then somebody jumping saying tents won't work on the AT. You have to have a hammock.

I like it when gaiter wearers say they don't have to stop every hour and remove stones from their shoes.

Dogwood
02-17-2014, 14:49
For the AT, NO especially not in the south in those "Green Tunnel" scenarios with all the Rhodies, laurels, etc and ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE and especially NO IF that was my only way to stay reasonably NOT SOAKED. Much of the AT is single track, a 3 ft wide trail. Hiking past folks w/ an umbrella(full size umbrella, NOT one of the smaller hat umbrellas or diminitive width sized umbrellas) with a typical thru-hiker mindset, I gotta go gotta go gotta be somewhere else mindset, while being conscientious enough to not poke someone in the face or have it tear or snag on something gets old on. Some miles of the AT are like being in a mine shaft with other people. Not the brightest place to try to hike with a large umbrella. Other miles the AT is open and the trail is wide, much like many trail miles north of VA but by that time some wouldn't use an umbrella anyway because it's summer and don't mind as much getting soaked. I wouldn't solely rely on an umbrella for rain protection on the AT IF I wanted to stay reasonably NOT SOAKED. I'm yet to witness a single AT thru-hiker carry or employ an umbrella on their entire hikes as a sole way to stay NOT SOAKED.

no-name
02-17-2014, 15:03
There has been a time on every one of my section hikes that I wanted one, either for rain or sun. I did use one when I did an overnighter on the Florida Trail. It was good for the spider webs, the bright sun, and then the heavy rain. I often wonder about the go lite ones and the slight differences. I know I want one!

lonehiker
02-17-2014, 17:14
I'm yet to witness a single AT thru-hiker carry or employ an umbrella on their entire hikes as a sole way to stay NOT SOAKED.

That is good enough for me. If Dogwood has yet to witness this, then it must never have happened.......ever....... period.......close this thread nothing need more be said.

Dogwood
02-17-2014, 18:43
Lonehiker, that's kinda funny but not in the spirit of my post. I sincerely would find it sad if that's all that you or anyone else take from what's been said here. HYOH. It's all just opinions anyhow. :)

The Snowman
02-17-2014, 19:18
carry one off and on mostly for in camp use some times for trail use.

lonehiker
02-17-2014, 20:30
Lonehiker, that's kinda funny but not in the spirit of my post. I sincerely would find it sad if that's all that you or anyone else take from what's been said here. HYOH. It's all just opinions anyhow. :)

Dog, it's all good. I was just flipping you crap. I have a different sense of humor that many (most) refuse to appreciate.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2014, 20:41
Yes clearly it opinion... question... if you have one and are hanging on and the wind is from behind and you are traveling uphill - Would that be cheating?

Serious if you have good tested gear and have used it at the local state park on a bender or circle hike... do you really need one? Yes I have used them - not on the AT, loved the Poppins part! good post.

Wise Old Owl
02-17-2014, 20:44
Dog, it's all good. I was just flipping you crap. I have a different sense of humor that many (most) refuse to appreciate.

You are amongst friends! - I geet it!

excuses
02-17-2014, 20:46
I carry one and find it great to keep the rain off my glasses. The attachment to the pack strap was a way to keep both hands free. It is quick to deploy when the weather plays on again off again.

Dogwood
02-17-2014, 20:48
'I was just flipping you crap.'

I knew you were. I can take it though. I like it when people question and say what about this? have you ever thought about from this angle? how does that apply to me for my hike?, etc. It's actually good in many ways for everyone. I get stuff wrong too. I sometimes get away with it here though. I don't pretend to have all the answers for everyone. I'm still working on that for myself as a never ending work in progress. Sometimes, it may seem like I'm talking down but that's not my intention. My desire is for others to do it(whatever it may be) better than me and offer me help(different perspectives) too. I need help too! I don't mind someone else reaching the summit first before me. I don't publically give enough thanks to all here for their assistance helping me to become less ignorant. :)

skinnbones
02-17-2014, 21:39
Isn't that cheating? lol

Abner
02-18-2014, 00:18
My Umbrella is one of my favorite pieces of gear. Great in downpour, great in light rain, Actually keeps just a bit of heat underneath in a chilly rain, helps even my broad brimmed hat in a downpour by keeping any rain from running down the back of my neck, great in blazing hot sun, excellent cover for open end of a tarp.... I've found it infinitely useful on my trips along the AT. I like my friend the umbrella.

RCBear
02-18-2014, 07:48
I wont necessarily question the efficacy of using one (though it seems like a major pia)...but I will question the manliness of it. ;-)

dmax
02-18-2014, 11:53
Umbrellas are like ponchos, trekking poles, stoves, trail runners, etc... Some people like them, so people don't.

lissersmith
02-18-2014, 12:10
I always take my Golite umbrella... I think it is a great way to stay dry without overheating in a rain jacket... At night if you need to walk about camp in the rain, you can stay dry...

Comet Omega
02-18-2014, 17:39
Have a friend taking one of the Golite type umbrellas. She has two camel back hose clips pointed in opposite directions on the shoulder strap and the umbrella staff clips in so she can go hands free and still use hiking poles.

bfayer
02-18-2014, 17:58
I really don't care what gear other people use or don't use. I do have to agree with others that have said, you hear them talked about online way more than you ever see them out on the trail. Same thing with Kilts. I would have to say I have probably seen more folks hiking with ice axes on the AT than umbrellas.

Maybe I'm just not out hiking during umbrella and kilt season :)

Weather-man
02-18-2014, 20:48
Interestingly enough I had a few friends who attended the German/Austrian military Bergfeuer (arguably the most difficult Mountain Leader course in the world) school and they all carried small umbrellas in admin/non-tactical situations. Seemed to work out nicely in training, especially if carried in such a way that you could grab it quickly when taking a break.

HikerMom58
02-18-2014, 20:55

lonehiker... you called him Dog! He's DW! :p

chefbrian1
03-19-2014, 17:17
I like the idea of going hands free. I opting for an umbrella instead of rain gear which only made be sweat.

I had an old umbrella that had the handle broken off, so I used to slide the post down behind a buckle on the shoulder strap of my pack then wrap a bungee cord with the hooks cut off around it and tied it tight. Did the trick.

wnderer
03-19-2014, 23:00
I have the golite umbrella. I stick the pole behind the chest strap, so my hands are free. I prefer hiking in the rain with the umbrella rather than without it.

Hoss Cat
03-22-2014, 12:43
I have the golite umbrella. I stick the pole behind the chest strap, so my hands are free. I prefer hiking in the rain with the umbrella rather than without it.

I just got a golite chrome dome umbrella for late spring - early fall use. I hate a rain jacket when it is above 65. I tried it out just like above on a day hike and it worked fine. Too bad it was nice day, and I looked rather odd - but it was a test run. I figure an umbrella + a zpacks rain kilt would provide enough rain protection and ventilation for warmer months.

AuntieSarah
03-23-2014, 23:45
Hi Slo-go'en! It's me, Poppins. Yep, I loved my umbrella, though it was not helpful on Goose Eye Mountain in Maine when the rain was blowing sideways. It kept the gnats out of my face in PA. It kept me hiking--and happy--many days when I would not otherwise have been willing to hike. It kept the rain off my glasses. I hardly ever wore a rain jacket, so I never had to deal with sweat and condensation from that. And for the most part, it was hands-free as I found a way to attach it to my pack.