PDA

View Full Version : Fox Creek to Great Valley - THIS WEEKEND!

trippclark
09-09-2005, 09:40
FINALLY, after a year, I'll be getting on the trail this weekend for a short section hike . . . woo hoo!!! Everything has been conspiring against me, it seems, with prior attempts to go getting scrubbed, but now I am packed and loaded and hitting the road at lunch time! I can't wait!! :banana

The plan is to hit the trail where we left off last time, at VA603 (Fox Creek) and head north, trying to get 2 or 3 miles in before dark. Saturday will, I hope, be a big mileage day (for me anyway), with about 20 miles to partnership shelter area. Sunday, I'll press on the 11.5 miles to Great Valley (US-11 at I-81).

So, has anyone out there hiked this section recently? How is the water supply? Anyone know of any southbounders that I should be on the lookoout for that might be crossing that area this weekend? Any noteable features to look for that are not in the guides (I am using the 1999 MapTech CD-ROM guide and the 2003 Thru Hiker Handbook).

Am I insane for trying to tackle 36 miles in under 2 days of hiking? :datz Probably so, but 2005 has really put me behind on my planned goal of 150 AT miles per year, so I need to make up some lost ground! I'll be turning 40 on Monday and want to get to Katahdin before I need a walker, and if I don't start getting some miles in, it's not gonna' happen!

Tractor
09-09-2005, 11:28
insane? matters not. You can do this! Ask about current water situation when you check in at MRO. t

trippclark
09-09-2005, 12:10
insane? matters not. You can do this! Ask about current water situation when you check in at MRO. t

Tractor, you just did this section, right? It looks to be fairly moderate with no extreme climbs or decents so I am thinking I can make pretty good time.

Tractor
09-09-2005, 12:52
Yep. I don't have my notes handy but I recall not making the miles quite as fast as I expected to. No worry though, just stay positive and plan your water so you don't fret it.
Will try to get to my notes tonight and get back with you. Oh ya, watch for our little rattlesnake buddy after Partnership Shelter. I think it's a he and he's looking for a mate and may not be as aware of hikers as he should be perhaps. He's the black/gray one in the picture forum.

Just a thought: I could imagine myself (in similar situation) pressing on too fast early on the first day. Probably not a great idea. Best to settle in, get your stride and breathing right and stay steady....... t

trippclark
09-12-2005, 09:34
The trip went well. Hit the trail at 6:45 p.m. Friday and hiked 3.3 miles to Hurricane Shelter. Saturday morning left at 8 a.m. and hiked to Trimpi for lunch and then on to Partnership for the evening. I arrived there just 10 minutes after the headquarters closed at 5:00 (shucks). I had Partnership shelter alone that night. The whole trail was pretty empty . . . lots of deer though (never saw your rattler, Tractor). It was nice to have the conveniences of Partnership shelter. The shower felt great after a 20 mile day! Sunday it was on to Great Valley. This last section seemed to have a little tougher grade, or perhaps I was just a bit wore out from Saturday. The last two miles had a few parts that were grown over. Finished up just after 2:00 and headed home. All in all, a great trip! I could not have asked for better weather!!